• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers |OT| Everybody Fights, Nobody Quits.

T2_zps2bda93db.png

Header1_zps59dadb20.png

Release: March 3, 2015
Platforms: PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4
Developer: Arrowhead Studios (Magicka, The Showdown Effect, Gauntlet)
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Price: $19.99
Spring Fever Sale:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...15-8-weeks-8-new-ps4-games-ps-plus-discounts/
BUY HERE PS4: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...-ps4/cid=UP9000-CUSA00142_00-HELLDIVERSSCEA00

Header2_zpsba67af69.png

-Helldivers is a top down SHMUP (Shoot-em Up)
-Friendly Fire is on making you have to coordinate your shots and be as precise as possible
-Set in a procedurally generated universe community must take on tasks and fight 3 enemy species to make sure of the Earth’s safety
-You play on one of several randomly-generated open worlds to complete various objectives
-The players are the ones to decide how to approach the mission; where to deploy, what order the objectives are to be completed in, and when to call down stratagems (certain pieces of equipment)
-Before each mission the player chooses a loadout consisting of weapons, perks, and stratagems based on the mission type as well

Plot: The dystopian universe of Helldivers has mankind ruled by a 'managed democracy', an improvement of contemporary democracy where the outcome of elections are more predictable. The improved democracy has become more than a way of electing a government, it has become a creed by which the brainwashed inhabitants of Super Earth fight for - without fully acknowledging what it means.
Super Earth, the fictional futuristic Earth is beset on all sides by three hostile enemy races that, according to the government, in one way or another needs to be subdued. And while the Helldivers are a pure combat unit, they are often tasked with retrieving technology, activating oil-pumps or other activity that is deemed important by the government to preserve freedom and the 'way of life'.

Game Informer said:
Arrowhead Studio's Helldivers isn't easy, but this throwback to classic top down shooters is still a good time. Sony announced the game during its Gamescom press conference, and we dove headfirst into the game's demo at the show.
Our Gamescom demo dropped us onto a desert filled alien planet devoid of plant life but teaming with Starship Troopers-like bugs. My goal was to demolish a couple of alien nests and activate some oil drilling machines, but neither task was as easy as it sounds. The bugs swarm in from all sides and you have to make good use of your arsenal of weapons. Thankfully, Helldiver's list of perk abilities, such as ammo resupplies drops, deployable turrets, and aerial strikes, assist in making short work of these bugs. However, in order to activate these abilities players have to tap a button and then input a series of a D-pad combos; it's somewhat reminiscent of classic 8-Bit game codes.
All of Helldivers levels are randomly-generated, so that should add to the game's replayability. Arrowhead Studios also plans to make the game Cross Play compatible, so you and up to three of your buddies will be able to tear into Helldivers co-op shooting mayhem when the game comes to PS4, PS3, and PS Vita sometimes next year.
Header3_zps4ba46129.png

KeeOAn.gif

uy72N40.gif

2Dp4.gif

Review Thread:http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1002787

PSN List: Quote this post for Spreadsheet Link
Footer_zps00f89a03.png

Enjoy! Hope you like the OT as it's my first
and certainly not last
OT! Anything wrong please let me know!

*If the images are too large please tell me!

Nice OT. The title is just soooo suitable.

Cross-buy, cross-save, cross-play...I'm in day one!

p/s are there are boss fights?

Any sp? Can't seem to find an answer.

Yes.

"So, for all of you out there, both new fans and old, I give you Helldivers. Built for both single-player campaigns and up to four player co-op missions, Helldivers is a top-down shooter set in a satirical and dystopian future where mankind is ruled by a managed democracy."

There's some sort of global campaign that players worldwide will affect (and I believe they said that SP won't affect the global campaign).

kyser73

Nice choice of headline for the OT, Worthy!

Think I might have to get this to add to the huge pile of games I haven't played yet.

Amir0x

Banned
This is another one I've been eagerly anticipating for ages. Everything about this is right up my alley. Bring on the white knuckle difficulty plz :D

SZips

I was not aware this was going to be $20. Somewhat reconsidering picking it up right away now. Might wait to see what the general consensus is from reviewers and consumers.

kyser73

Those two impressions videos had me howling with laughter, especially the Kinda Funny Games one.

All I need now is some friends ;\

Really curious about this game as I've enjoyed seeing Arrowhead grow as a studio. My only concern is getting another friend to pick it up as well, let alone four.

shwimpy

So excited for this. My friends and I haven't played a co-op game on PS4 since Destiny. Any chance this goes up at midnight?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Looks good. Any other month I'd be all over it. March is a bit too packed for this game, I think. We'll see.

Looking forward to this. I enjoyed Magicka, but this looks like it takes the best parts of that formula and reduces the fiddly bits during actual combat. Hopefully it's a winning combination.

Do we know how varied the environments are? I know we've seen jungle and snow and desert, but are there any industrial/city areas in the game? Volcanic zones perhaps?

TI82

Banned
Good job on the OT. really tempted to buy but $20 seems a bit much compared to how much I paid for Magicka and Gauntlet so I'll have to think about it. Plus I dunno if anyone will coop with me!

Slixshot

Banned
Oh boy, this looked like a real good time the first time I saw it 3 years ago... now that it's finally here, I hope it still is!

Top Bottom