• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers |OT| Everybody Fights, Nobody Quits.

im not getting these destiny comparisons...is it the armor? that shit definitely looks like it could be in destiny but the games themselves seem incredibly different.

You might actually go to more planets than Destiny... I think.

Anyway the Destiny comparison comes from the space sci-fi setting, multiplayer co-op shooter, loot base(?) gameplay.

I don't know much about the story though, other than STARSHIP TROOPERS.

im not getting these destiny comparisons...is it the armor? that shit definitely looks like it could be in destiny but the games themselves seem incredibly different.

The guys in the Test Chamber video mentioned that the customizable armor for the characters looked like the Hunter from Destiny.

Here's a screenshot:

bnmU1FW.png

And the co-op combat and varied objectives are similar to Destiny's bounties/patrol mode side missions.

Mdk7

Yeah, at times it does remind you of a cheap brother of Destiny because of the character design and color palette. Embargo lifts in a couple of hours, anyway!

nampad

Me and my friends loved Alien Swarm and this sounds very similar. Can't wait for the game. Now I really need more controllers.

The more I watch the greater this game looks. Screw Share Play, I'll buy it as soon as it goes up on the US store and probably play it extensively, especially if I can play with some fellow gaffers.

Nozem

Totally getting this. More 4 player local multiplayer games are always welcome.

Friendly fire concerns me a bit though, since all of my friends are total dicks when playing multiplayer.

From the Jim Sterling review, regarding friendly fire:

Players who troll can be reported and end up forced to play only alongside other jerkholes, while good partners can be commended for their efforts and serve as an example to others.

This is good to hear. I definitely would not want to play this game with a teammate who will just team kill over and over again.

stryke

Will be playing this on vita if the performance is good and maybe ps3.

Cross play with all 3 consoles kinda reaffirms to me what a farce it is to put multiplayer behind a pay wall.

Mdk7

I gave it 7.4 on IGN Italy.
It's a fun game, i really loved the gunplay, the difficulty (it's challenging, but never unfair) and some of the mechanics (YAY for the stratagems, really great idea that works like a blast).
I think it's honestly a bit overpriced, it's not technically that amazing (especially on PS4) and can get a bit too repetitive.
But if you dig the genre, definitely consider buying it.

Mdk7

Any mentions of how this game is single player? Or is it a coop only experience?

You can definitely play on your own, but it's WAY better in co-op, due to its nature.
Online co-op works really well, but it's better played with friends in the same room (or maybe like along with a friend and 2 people online, if you don't always have 3 buddies hanging around).

jmaine_ph

It's a fun game, i really loved the gunplay, the difficulty (it's challenging, but never unfair) and some of the mechanics (YAY for the stratagems, really great idea that works like a blast).
I think it's honestly a bit overpriced, it's not technically that amazing (especially on PS4) and can get a bit too repetitive.
Nice recap of your review lol. I was wondering if you played by yourself or with other people?

derFeef

Woah, looks really good. Those guys deserve a good game, so talented!
Only thing I fear is that the experience may be lacking as I only have a Vita.

Fistwell

Could you comment on customization, equipment, loot, weapon upgrades, skills, in terms of both quantity and the impact on gameplay, if any? Is there a sense of mechanical progression of your toon?

Was price a factor in that overall assessment?

Mdk7

Nice recap of your review lol. I was wondering if you played by yourself or with other people?

I played it by myself (meaning on my own, single player), locally with a friend and online (both alone and with a friend). :)

Could you comment on customization, equipment, loot, weapon upgrades, skills, in terms of both quantity and the impact on gameplay, if any? Is there a sense of mechanical progression of your toon?

Progression is definitely a BIG part of the experience: when you clear a planet you always get a reward (and you can get really hot stuff...), plus you can always spend points to increase your firepower, your stratagems and so on.
And by levelling up, you unlock some cool interesting perks (even if i mostly sticked to the laser aim).

Was price a factor in that overall assessment?

Yes, it was.
I frankly think the game is a bit too pricey (also considering the production values), it should have been 15€/$ IMHO.

Top Bottom