• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games - "No Man's Sky was a mistake." [Up3: Disgruntled Employee]

Jobbs

Banned
Unbridled hatred has long legs.

I don't hate Sean Murray. I don't feel hatred for any of this. If I hated everyone who made a bad game or told a lie I wouldn't have much room left in my heart for anything else.

I actually just find the whole disaster really interesting and entertaining and that's why I sub to these threads.

But, please, keep saying stuff without basis or merit

I don't hate Sean Murray. I don't feel hatred for any of this. If I hated everyone who made a bad game or told a lie I wouldn't have much room left in my heart for anything else.

I actually just find the whole disaster really interesting and entertaining and that's why I sub to these threads.

But, please, keep saying stuff without basis or merit
I'm not referring to anyone in particular, it's just a thing I've noticed pop up in regards to this entire escapade.

But hey, if you saw what I posted and immediately assumed it was about you, maybe you care about this more than you think? :)

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not referring to anyone in particular, it's just a thing I've noticed pop up in regards to this entire escapade.

But hey, if you saw what I posted and immediately assumed it was about you, maybe you care about this more than you think? :)

Find me an example that exemplifies "unbridled hatred" from this thread please.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It is entirely possible that HG has signed a contract where they can't talk about certain things, one of them being changes that they had to make because of the PS4. You look at changes like the number of ships in fleets in trailers vs. number of ships in fleets in the game, and, well, it's entirely possible that that's optimization. And it's entirely possible that they optimized that aspect for PS4, rather than PC (as PC is generally more powerful/flexible). I imagine Sony doesn't want to have the PS4 thrown under the bus and being blamed for the PC version being "held back" by the PS4 version.
What you're arguing is completely illogical, you seriously think they left evidence of a scripted e3 demonstration but somehow scrubbed EVERYTHING pertaining to MP, (news flash, they were still advertising it four months before release as having MP, so much so that the covers were literally printed with MP advertisements), from the game's code? Also, optimizing for PS4 is all well and good, but, the PC version has nothing like those trailers at all, and the PS4 version was what that build of ships was shown running on. I think you need to accept what happened at this point lo_fi, seriously man.

OK, I'll admit that using that term was slightly hyperbolic. But I wasn't intending for it to be a scathing attack that people take overly seriously either.

For what it's worth, I'm in agreeance with a lot of folk regarding how disingenuous Sean seems to have been in the lead up to No Man's Sky's release.

Jobbs

Banned
OK, I'll admit that using that term was slightly hyperbolic. But I wasn't intending for it to be a scathing attack to be taken overly seriously either.

Find me an example of minor hatred? Any hatred?

People just find the contorversy interesting because it's, you know, interesting.

Shoulda said "unbridled curiosity"

Find me an example of minor hatred? Any hatred?

People just find the contorversy interesting because it's, you know, interesting.

Shoulda said "unbridled curiosity"

I just went to a few random pages early on in this very thread, page 7 for example. Whilst as I admitted to being slightly hyperbolic there are quite a few people who've seemingly taken this very, very personally. Well past the point of 'curiosity', which to be perfectly honest is almost understating some peoples' reactions as much as I was overstating them.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I just went to a few random pages early on in this very thread, page 7 for example. Whilst as I admitted to being slightly hyperbolic there are quite a few people who've seemingly taken this very, very personally. Well past the point of 'curiosity', which to be perfectly honest is almost understating some peoples' reactions as much as I was overstating them.
So the guy who rubbed his nipples is your example of unbridled hatred?

c0Zm1c

Schadenfreude works better than either hate or curiosity. Well, what is it when people are clearly enjoying seeing what has happened with this game and its developer? Look at the numerous posts congratulating that Simpsons gif, for example. They are interested no doubt, but for the worst of reasons.

That doesn't apply to everyone commenting on this of course but it should be perfectly obvious that many are here just to see the train wreck.

I find it hilarious that people treat NMS like it's the worst game ever made.

Just looking at the New Release section on PSN I see a lot of trash games worse than NMS.

Jobbs

Banned

Just looking at the New Release section on PSN I see a lot of trash games worse than NMS.

NMS has some neat stuff in it but it's completely undeveloped. I'd barely call it a game. If it were $10 - $15 no one would be talking about it negatively and it'd probably be given the chance to grow into something cool.

At $60 it's ridiculous.

edit: I also really genuinely like the art style of the game and adore the soundtrack. I just wish it had way more time and resources to be made into something worthy of it.

99Luffy

Banned
Looking back its pretty crazy how so much hype was given to a game made by the makers of such classics as Joe Danger and.. Joe danger..

Jobbs

Banned
Looking back its pretty crazy how so much hype was given to a game made by the makers of such classics as Joe Danger and.. Joe danger..

I pointed this out long before the game came out.

I also pointed out a lot of other stuff. ha.

The way he communicates the game at times when he's explaining it to people definitely smacks of Moly. It's manipulative, like, just as one example, when he says "it will take 108 trillion years for 2 million players to explore every planet in our galaxy" (or whatever - I'm paraphrasing) which is completely useless and pointless information meant to dazzle people who may not know much about video games and how planets are procedurally generated by mathz and will just be variants of the same handfull of things a quadrillion times

Jobbstrodomus

edit: also funny in hindsight seeing some of the NMS/Sean Murray defenders/believers :D

Shaneus

Schadenfreude works better than either hate or curiosity. Well, what is it when people are clearly enjoying seeing what has happened with this game and its developer? Look at the numerous posts congratulating that Simpsons gif, for example. They are interested no doubt, but for the worst of reasons.

That doesn't apply to everyone commenting on this of course but it should be perfectly obvious that many are here just to see the train wreck.
Yeah, I think schadenfreude is more appropriate than any kind of synonym for "hatred". Not many steps from taking joy in a studio closing down, IMO.

Jobbs

Banned
You still bought the game though, right (then later refunded)?

We need another Simpsons gif, of the scene where Lisa is gripping Marge's hand tight when the angel rises into the sky. :p

ha.

yeah, if you read more you see I thought it looked neat, only that it would not live up to the very high expectations and claims. I thought it would probably be an okay game, but it turned out to be the worst game I've ever paid $60 for in my life, and thus became the first game I've ever refunded on PSN.

I'm still wondering if the manual copyright strike issued by Sony were coming from them or from Murray.

Sony never commented on it and we only have Murray saying that they were done "accidentally".

What you're arguing is completely illogical, you seriously think they left evidence of a scripted e3 demonstration but somehow scrubbed EVERYTHING pertaining to MP, (news flash, they were still advertising it four months before release as having MP, so much so that the covers were literally printed with MP advertisements), from the game's code? Also, optimizing for PS4 is all well and good, but, the PC version has nothing like those trailers at all, and the PS4 version was what that build of ships was shown running on. I think you need to accept what happened at this point lo_fi, seriously man.

It's not illogical to think that they had multiplayer running on a separate branch of the game that, for whatever reason (bugs, crashed the game, unfinished, barely started) wasn't able to be merged into the main branch by release. It's not illogical in the least. Now, did that actually happen? Who knows. I have a feeling that because of the deal between Hello Games and Sony, unless someone leaks shit anonymously we might not ever find out for certain exactly what and how things went down. If that email was real then Sony clearly stepped in and forced the game out the door, which would support the idea that things were cut from the game hastily to hit their release date. One of those things could have been the branch of the game that had multiplayer being worked on. It's not unreasonable or illogical to believe that to have been the case. It doesn't excuse lying about it or talking about it so close to release that people believed it would be a feature, but it's still possible. Sean clearly had some really unreachable goals and if they had some people working on a branch of the game with multiplayer on it but they were having trouble merging it, maybe he felt they could figure it out before release or put it in the Day One patch so he just kept running his mouth up to release instead of being more open about the problems they were having. The E3 build could have been the main build of the game that they continued to work on up until release, which would explain why it's still in there but multiplayer, which in theory could have been a different branch, isn't.

Leyasu

Banned
Mo man's sky..

This game went from stratospheric forum hype and "possible next Minecraft" quotes, to "you people imagined it and over hyped it yourselves" to one of the most hated that I have ever seen.

It's been fun to watch.

Most of the trash games under the New Release section didn't get a spot on the stage at E3, didn't get articles in The Atlantic and The New Yorker and didn't spend time on Late Night with Colbert.

People don't think it's the worst game. They think it's a crapshow proportionate to the attention the game was lavished.

People don't think it's the worst game. They think it's a crapshow proportionate to the attention the game was lavished.
Not that Jobbs isn't welcome to or justified in his/her opinion but literally 4 posts above yours:
ha.

yeah, if you read more you see I thought it looked neat, only that it would not live up to the very high expectations and claims. I thought it would probably be an okay game, but it turned out to be the worst game I've ever paid $60 for in my life, and thus became the first game I've ever refunded on PSN.

Jobbs

Banned
Not that Jobbs isn't welcome to or justified in his/her opinion but literally 4 posts above yours:

I was careful with my words -- I don't buy a lot of bad $60 games. I usually research and have some idea what I'm getting. NMS was a mystery and I bought it when it was still such a question mark because of the zeitgeist. I just had to see it for myself right away.

No Man's Sky is the worst $60 purchase I've ever made. It has some neat things in it, but the game just isn't there. It needed way, way more time in the oven.

MrGerbils

At least 25 out of the 28 pages of this thread have nothing at all to do with the OP and are just angry rants against the game in general. How is this thread still going?

c0de

The game itself may not be as bad as others but the expectations Sean built up before and what was present in the game is one of the biggest discrepancy ever in gaming.
And many of the things he is responsible for when it comes to criticism. He knew there was no multiplayer in the game, it was impossible to find another player, yet he tweeted his “mind blown“-tweet.

RedRum

Banned
I see we're doing the same song and dance two months later.

Interviews just before release:

"Will you be able to do thing?"
Sean: "Yes"

Thing is not in the game.

NMS fans: "I wouldn't call that lying. It's more complicated than that."

Come on.

Post to end all matters on NMS.

I was careful with my words -- I don't buy a lot of bad $60 games. I usually research and have some idea what I'm getting. NMS was a mystery and I bought it when it was still such a question mark because of the zeitgeist. I just had to see it for myself right away.

No Man's Sky is the worst $60 purchase I've ever made. It has some neat things in it, but the game just isn't there. It needed way, way more time in the oven.

No no I wasn't trying to say you were wrong or anything, I just thought it was funny that orthodoxy1095 was like "people don't think it's the worst game" when you had just said "it's the worst game"

I found it more humorous than anything else, I know you put qualifiers in like "$60 game" and "I've purchased"

Go_Ly_Dow

I still can't believe the game got hyped up to such a high point that Sean Murray appeared on The Late Show to market it.

Then it released and he won't as much tweet..... whilst before he was happy to fly to another country and advertise it on national tv.

So many got absolutely swindled and the decent thing to do would be to address your consumers.

Bedlam

At least 25 out of the 28 pages of this thread have nothing at all to do with the OP and are just angry rants against the game in general. How is this thread still going?
Funny, the actual rants mostly come from people accusing Murray's critics of "unbridled hate", claiming we "want to see him hang" and shit like that. Except, no one ever said that except those that make these outragous claims that aim to discredit the critics and paint them as haters.

Lo_Fi

It's not illogical to think that they had multiplayer running on a separate branch of the game that, for whatever reason (bugs, crashed the game, unfinished, barely started) wasn't able to be merged into the main branch by release. It's not illogical in the least. Now, did that actually happen? Who knows. I have a feeling that because of the deal between Hello Games and Sony, unless someone leaks shit anonymously we might not ever find out for certain exactly what and how things went down. If that email was real then Sony clearly stepped in and forced the game out the door, which would support the idea that things were cut from the game hastily to hit their release date. One of those things could have been the branch of the game that had multiplayer being worked on. It's not unreasonable or illogical to believe that to have been the case. It doesn't excuse lying about it or talking about it so close to release that people believed it would be a feature, but it's still possible. Sean clearly had some really unreachable goals and if they had some people working on a branch of the game with multiplayer on it but they were having trouble merging it, maybe he felt they could figure it out before release or put it in the Day One patch so he just kept running his mouth up to release instead of being more open about the problems they were having.

Sums up my feelings pretty well. Though I'd say the literal act of merging the multiplayer in isn't necessarily what I think was the part that they couldn't get done (though merging can get tricky!), it's more that the multiplayer might have never reached a state that they felt was good enough for release, so they possibly never merged it in.

But more importantly, the point I want to make is that Hello Games doesn't have to justify any of their internal development practices to any of us. And if your argument that they lied from the beginning hinges on large assumptions about their development practices, then it's not a very good argument.

Genuine question, are you a game developer?

Also, see this post in this thread by a game developer who worked on multiplayer games:
Not at all. I've worked on games where the entirity of the networking code could be removed with conditional compilation. This was because the networking was pretty flakey at the start of the project and it was useful to be able to remove it.

Also, it's not that unreasonable to leave assets from an E3 demo on the disc. It was it's own separate thing (infamously so). The multiplayer would likely be linked with many many things, so it is possible that it would need to be completely removed, for optimization or organizational purposes. Or it's possible that it was never merged into the main branch. More importantly, Hello Games doesn't have to justify any of their internal development practices to us.

Also also, game features are not a binary thing, where it's either not implemented at all or completely ready for shipping. It's entirely possible that the multiplayer was extremely close to being up to their standards, but they couldn't push it that last little bit and it had some game breaking aspect to it, so it had to get cut/not merged in at the last second. That would explain talking about it up until ship. Though that wouldn't explain why they didn't say that they had to cut it.

That said, if they did think they might have to cut it within those last four months, they probably should have communicated that. Or if it was already cut then they definitely should have communicated that.

I still can't believe the game got hyped up to such a high point that Sean Murray appeared on The Late Show to market it.

Then it released and he won't as much tweet..... whilst before he was happy to fly to another country and advertise it on national tv.

So many got absolutely swindled and the decent thing to do would be to address your consumers.

It is entirely possible that he is under contract with Sony to not talk about it, wants to not get death threats, or a combination of both. Not excusing it, but "he's a scam artist" isn't the only explanation.

Funny, the actual rants mostly come from people accusing Murray's critics of "unbridled hate", claiming we "want to see him hang" and shit like that. Except, no one ever said that except those that make these outragous claims that aim to discredit the critics and paint them as haters.

You're right, no one said those things in the thread. But plenty are painting him as a scam artist that has been trying to swindle people from the beginning. Especially the gifs.

Yup.

I'm certainly interested in the story, but so it's so that I can get better at communicating with players and just get a better sense of how to market a game while it's being developed - a fact that means you will probably cut something that you previously showed to the public.

No need to be joyous that a development team fucked up.

Bedlam

You're right, no one said those things in the thread. But plenty are painting him as a scam artist that has been trying to swindle people from the beginning. Especially the gifs.
This "scam from the beginnging" thing is also usually brought up by people who are trying to discredit the critics. Several times in this thread alone while none of the critics actually claimed it. To the contrary, even in this thread people critical of Murray clarified they don't think it started out as a scam.

You shouldn't take Simpsons gifs too seriously. I do think Murray acted maliciously in order to save sales during release so the gifs are kind of fitting.

That doesn't mean it's the worst game ever. It means it's the worst game Jobbs has paid $60 for. Those are divergent claims.

NMS is easily the worst game I've played this year. That doesn't mean it's the worst game of the year, just that it's the worst game I have personally had time to play.
Also, it's not that unreasonable to leave assets from an E3 demo on the disc. It was it's own separate thing (infamously so). The multiplayer would likely be linked with many many things, so it is possible that it would need to be completely removed, for optimization or organizational purposes. Or it's possible that it was never merged into the main branch. More importantly, Hello Games doesn't have to justify any of their internal development practices to us.
I disagree with this in a way. Yes, most developers don't need to justify their methods to us. But as I've said before, if you're going to play the open and transparent developer card (which I thing HG played heavily), you don't get to choose when you're being open. Either put up or shut up.

Lo_Fi

I disagree with this in a way. Yes, most developers don't need to justify their methods to us. But as I've said before, if you're going to play the open and transparent developer card (which I thing HG played heavily), you don't get to choose when you're being open. Either put up or shut up.

I agree! Too late for them to change that. But many are making assumptions based on small bits of the story they have.

You shouldn't take Simpsons gifs too seriously.

The simspons gifs that are turning him into the new phil fish. The simpsons gifs that get more responses/visibility than the posts from game developers explaining why it's useful to understand game development if you want to critique game development practices (based on small parts of the story, nonetheless).

I do think Murray acted maliciously in order to save sales during release so the gifs are kind of fitting.

That's your assumption. There are other options.

1) He isn't allowed to talk about it due to contracts with sony.
2) He doesn't want to get death threats for announcing that he had to cut stuff.
3) A combination of the two.

So I don't think they're very fitting. And the gifs are very much painting him as someone who was scheming to scam people from the beginning.

That doesn't mean it's the worst game ever. It means it's the worst game Jobbs has paid $60 for. Those are divergent claims.

NMS is easily the worst game I've played this year. That doesn't mean it's the worst game of the year, just that it's the worst game I have personally had time to play.

Oh my god

Bedlam

That's your assumption. There are other options.

1) He isn't allowed to talk about it due to contracts with sony.
2) He doesn't want to get death threats for announcing that he had to cut stuff.
3) A combination of the two.

So I don't think they're very fitting. And the gifs are very much painting him as someone who was scheming to scam people from the beginning.
None of the above.

Rather, if he is not allowed to talk about it it would be because he might open himself to lawsuits. He was probably briefed by lawyers and consultants to stay silent on this.

It's funny how people keep pulling Sony into this and shifting the blame to them when they are the only party that has commented on the issue - even when it was kind of throwing Murray under the bus.

As for the death threats - he is getting these anyway from a couple of crazies.

Lastly, what I wrote is not really an assumption. It's fact. Him putting out the tweets still hinting at actual MP during release and all.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

From the customer's point of view, what is the difference between "trying to lie from the very beginning" and "only lie at the end"? Because I see in here that you have been trying to use the "no, they are not trying to lie from the very beginning" sentiment to... I don't know, soften the impact of what they did, maybe?

From the customer's point of view, what's the difference? If they based their purchase decision and shelving the 60 bucks to Hello Games based on what has been promised but never materialized in the end, then what? Does the notion of "Oh I'm sorry, the things that we told you near the end? The trailer that we use at the STEAM store to goad you to buy our game? They aren't true! But we tried our hardest at the beginning though!" really makes it justifiable?

Lo_Fi

From the customer's point of view, what is the difference between "trying to lie from the very beginning" and "only lie at the end"? Because I see in here that you have been trying to use the "no, they are not trying to lie from the very beginning" sentiment to... I don't know, soften the impact of what they did, maybe?

From the customer's point of view, what's the difference? If they based their purchase decision and shelving the 60 bucks to Hello Games based on what has been promised but never materialized in the end, then what? Does the notion of "Oh I'm sorry, the things that we told you near the end? The trailer that we use at the STEAM store to goad you to buy our game? They aren't true! But we tried our hardest at the beginning though!" really makes it justifiable?

Nope, it makes none of that justifiable. And as I've said before certain things are definitely misleading, such as the trailers still being on the steam page and him saying that the E3 demo wasn't scripted.

Critique the game. Critique their communication (or lack thereof). Ask for a refund if you want. Don't buy anything he makes ever again if you don't want to.

There's just not a need to paint him as someone that lied from the beginning and act like he set out to scam people from the start. It's a ridiculous assumption, as I've said (and backed up!) time and time again. Going "The game was shit, their communication was shit, I'm never buying anything from them again, but you know what, I don't have the whole story so I'm not gonna say he's a scam artist, but I still don't trust him" is a more reasonable response, and there is no downside for you to do that.

Bedlam

There's just not a need to paint him as someone that lied from the beginning and act like he set out to scam people from the start. It's a ridiculous assumption, as I've said (and backed up!) time and time again.
Again: the only times I see this claim is when people are trying to discredit the critics. In the various NMS threads that I've been active in, I've never seen anyone claiming that NMS was planned as a scam from the start; only that it eventually became one.

If such posts exist, they are severely outweighed by defenders claiming that these posts were made regularly.

Jobbs

Banned
Again: the only times I see this claim is when people are trying to discredit the critics. In the various NMS threads that I've been active in, I've never seen anyone claiming that NMS was planned as a scam from the start; only that it eventually became one.

If such posts exist, they are severely outweighed by defenders claiming that these posts were made regularly.

This is more or less how I feel. It seems silly to imagine it was born as a scam. It became one as they were deliberately misleading as launch neared and then avoided commenting whatsoever on all of the missing features and broken promises after launch. Not even one word. I mean -- How is that not damning? If he's such a well intentioned guy why doesn't he say what went wrong and what they plan to do about it?

People are very forgiving if you just communicate and be humble and the fire wouldn't be burning a tenth as hot if that were the case. Someone owning up to something and saying what he plans to do to fix things is very disarming.

The only thing my mind is blown about is the fact that people are still defending this company. They openly lied that is not up for debate; we can argue all day about whether or not it was malicious or not but the facts are what they are; they lied and no amount of mental gymnastics is going to change that fact.

Another point I noticed is Shawn Murray was very good at using the "indie" label alot. The barefoot interviews, and the shy personality were all part of the ruse imo. The thing was this company really was not indie. This was their fourth game after the Joe danger series which sold quite well if I remember. These guys weren't making the game out of their garage; they already had experience in this arena which makes Shawn Murray's lies even worse. So we need to stop the star-struck, naive, starry eyed developer narrative it doesn't add up. and before anyone says anything yes I purchased the game on PSN; and yes I got a one-time refund ( which is a story for another day)

Still talking in circles on this one I see, GAF...

I'm sure Sean's sheepish exterior is just a ruse. Soon Scooby-Doo and The Gang will track him down and rip off his Murray suit to reveal David Miscavige...their plans to introduce Lord Xenu at the center of the galaxy were almost complete. He and Hello Scientology would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those rotten GAF Gang kids and their mangy mutt.

Lo_Fi

Fair enough.

There are/were quite a few posts, though, using the datimining as "evidence" that the game never had multiplayer implemented or tested at any point in development. This isn't the same as saying it was a scam from the beginning, but it certainly implies that the poster thinks that Hello Games never even bothered to even try to implement it at any point in development. Quite an accusation based on not knowing the full story.

There seems to have been less of those posts, fortunately, after I explained version control and other developers chimed in regarding multiplayer implementation.

Aside from the simpsons gifs which seem to appear in every NMS thread with plenty of applause, though, it seems we generally agree.

Another point I noticed is Shawn Murray was very good at using the "indie" label alot. The barefoot interviews, and the shy personality were all part of the ruse imo. The thing was this company really was not indie. This was their fourth game after the Joe danger series which sold quite well if I remember. These guys weren't making the game out of their garage; they already had experience in this arena which makes Shawn Murray's lies even worse. So we need to stop the star-struck, naive, starry eyed developer narrative it doesn't add up. and before anyone says anything yes I purchased the game on PSN; and yes I got a one-time refund ( which is a story for another day)

It's entirely debatable if Hello Games is indie anymore or not, but please do use the stupid, stupid "you can't have any money" bullshit.

Jobbs, come on, dude. You're being willingly naive.

Top Bottom