• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here’s Why Naughty Dog Can’t Simply Release That The Last of Us Part II Demo

TLOU_Part_2_Ellie-1920x1080.jpg

Remember that three-hour-long The Last of Us Part II demo showcased to select press members in late September 2019? Now that the full game has been delayed indefinitely due to COVID-19 induced logistical issues, fans are clamoring for Naughty Dog to release it to the public as a sort of appetizer during this unexpected delay period.

However, during the latest PlayStation Blogcast episode (#359), Naughty Dog Creative Director Neil Druckmann explained why that The Last of Us Part II demo simply cannot be released as is to the public.

"Yeah, it's funny, I've been getting that a lot. And I think it's just people don't understand, it's very different when you kind of have a demo for the game that you can release at a convention or press event. And you can have people from Naughty Dog there watching to make sure it's all working well. Actually, when we did that The Last of Us Part II demo for the press, we just had the whole game there on the disk and we just cut off a piece of it so people would play that but obviously, we can't do that when you ship it worldwide on the PSN. And it has to be way more safeguards put in place. It's almost like you'd be starting from scratch to build that demo. And that's a massive amount of work and it's a massive amount of work that we don't want to put our team through. And it's just, we'd rather put our focus on finishing the actual game and getting it to people. And then also, like, that demo is outdated now, it's not a great representation of the game which has improved greatly since that The Last of Us Part II demo for the press."

"when we did that The Last of Us Part II demo for the press, we just had the whole game there on the disk and we just cut off a piece of it so people would play that but obviously, we can't do that when you ship it worldwide on the PSN" 🤪

GymWolf

because people it's gonna over-analyze a 1 year old demo most probably.

also i think they want to surprise gamers with the complete game.
i know myself and if they release the demo i'm gonna play the shit ouf it trying to see how the ia works, the gore, the details etc, i want to try this stuff in the final game for the first time tbh.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Huh, so the game has been done for awhile then, at least in a rough form.

TLOU_Part_2_Ellie-1920x1080.jpg

Remember that three-hour-long The Last of Us Part II demo showcased to select press members in late September 2019? Now that the full game has been delayed indefinitely due to COVID-19 induced logistical issues, fans are clamoring for Naughty Dog to release it to the public as a sort of appetizer during this unexpected delay period.

However, during the latest PlayStation Blogcast episode (#359), Naughty Dog Creative Director Neil Druckmann explained why that The Last of Us Part II demo simply cannot be released as is to the public.

"Yeah, it's funny, I've been getting that a lot. And I think it's just people don't understand, it's very different when you kind of have a demo for the game that you can release at a convention or press event. And you can have people from Naughty Dog there watching to make sure it's all working well. Actually, when we did that The Last of Us Part II demo for the press, we just had the whole game there on the disk and we just cut off a piece of it so people would play that but obviously, we can't do that when you ship it worldwide on the PSN. And it has to be way more safeguards put in place. It's almost like you'd be starting from scratch to build that demo. And that's a massive amount of work and it's a massive amount of work that we don't want to put our team through. And it's just, we'd rather put our focus on finishing the actual game and getting it to people. And then also, like, that demo is outdated now, it's not a great representation of the game which has improved greatly since that The Last of Us Part II demo for the press."

Last sentence made me hyped as hell

i know myself and if they release the demo i'm gonna play the shit ouf it trying to see how the ia works, the gore, the details etc, i want to try this stuff in the final game for the first time tbh.

Can't deny playing the complete game, without trying any demo before is 100x more impactful, i'm ok with that and the reasoning makes sense

👍🏽As bored as I am right now ill play that demo for hrs straight analyzing everything.

GymWolf

Can't deny playing the complete game, without trying any demo before is 100x more impactful, i'm ok with that and the reasoning makes sense
on the other hand, great demos can make grown the hype at stellar levels (and there is no better sensation than when hype meet expectations)

like, after mgs2 demo my hype was higher than snoopdog in a dutchie coffeeshop.

Last edited:
on the other hands, great demos can make grown the hype at stellar levels (and there is no better sensation than when hype meet expectations)

like, after mgs2 demo my hype was higher than snoopdog in a dutch coffeshop.

Yeah, absolutely true, God only knows what an awesome snack would have been a demo, expecially now in quarantine, but we'll have to wait :(

Hell not to mention what that would do to PSN servers right now. Everyone at home downloading the Last of Us 2 demo. Itll be ugly.

hunthunt

Banned
Just polish the game, add lots of easter eggs and shit, release with PS5 in 4k 60 fps and stop talking Druckmann.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Just polish the game, add lots of easter eggs and shit, release with PS5 in 4k 60 fps and stop talking Druckmann.
you have to be a drunkman if you think that they can ignore 100+ millions ps4 owners out there 😆

ps5 is gonna have the remaster edition in a year from launch most probably.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
you have to be a drunkman if you think that they can ignore 100+ millions ps4 owners out there 😆

ps5 is gonna have the remaster edition in a year from launch most probably.

Who said they have to ignore the Ps4 users?

we already know it will be released for Ps4, and it will work via bc on PS5, what i hope is it works in 4k 60fps in release date.

GymWolf

Who said they have to ignore the Ps4 users?

we already know it will be released for Ps4, and it will work via bc on PS5, what i hope is it works in 4k 60fps in release date.
oh you were talking about some patch to run better on ps5? my bad.

CJY

Banned
Logical and concise explanation.

Also shows ND care and recoginises how much effort goes into finishing a game and careful not to demand too much from their team.

Enjay

Banned
Studios are afraid to put demos out anyway because it usually exposes their games' shortcomings and result is lower sales.

Vawn

Banned
Who needs a demo for this anyway? The first is basically a requirement to fully enjoy this one anyway (and is one of the highest rated games of all time). If you played that you know if you want to play Part 2 (you do).

Vawn

Banned
Studios are afraid to put demos out anyway because it usually exposes their games' shortcomings and result is lower sales.

This is Naughty Dog. They ain't scared of shit. They don't put out demos and they don't put out bad, or even average, games.

stranno

Using the entire game for a trial was not the smartest idea of the day. That version could have been leaked and the entire game could have been public.

I mean, of course new FWs of Playstation 4 are not hacked and we wont probably see another kexploit until the EOL of Playstation 4, but who knows. Its risky to said at least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom