• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

NukeDukem

Banned
noshittywizard.jpg

markot

Banned
Man, its gonna take ages to get enough coins to even unlock a crap hero >.>

Oh well, I kinda feel bad for some reason, that I am only playing this and lol to get ready for dota 2 >.<;

And I tend to have alot of trouble telling whats going on in group fights... it all kinda melds together...

Card Boy

Banned
markot said:

Oh well, I kinda feel bad for some reason, that I am only playing this and lol to get ready for dota 2 >.<;

And I tend to have alot of trouble telling whats going on in group fights... it all kinda melds together...

I'll sell you my Legacy account for $50! Tis a bargin laddie!

Blackface

Banned
markot said:

It's the art style of the game. It's not good.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
markot said:

90 coins for Moon Queen is like 8 wins, which is both cheap and not-crap.

Blackface said:

Play the game for more than an hour and you'll get over it.

JoeMartin

Blackface said:

Maybe it's just cause I've played it for a prolonged period of time, but I've don't ever recall having a problem with it. It's perfectly serviceable, if not good in a lot of places. It's an arcadey game and the style very much keeps that feeling without being hugely overbearing as far as I'm concerned.

Blackface

Banned
JoeMartin said:
Maybe it's just cause I've played it for a prolonged period of time, but I've don't ever recall having a problem with it. It's perfectly serviceable, if not good in a lot of places. It's an arcadey game and the style very much keeps that feeling without being hugely overbearing as far as I'm concerned.

You get used to it, just like you get used to DOTA after playing it. But for new players everything blends together. Graphics are good, art style is shit. In lol the art style is good, but the graphics are shit. DOTA2 fixes both problems.

Either way you get used to it.

bzm said:
fuck off from this thread

U mad kid?

Blackface said:
You get used to it, just like you get used to DOTA after playing it. But for new players everything blends together. Graphics are good, art style is shit. In lol the art style is good, but the graphics are shit. DOTA2 fixes both problems.

U mad kid?
Lol's artstyle looks ugly as shit. Also, this weakass attempt at a troll isnt working. This is hon , the fucking troll big leagues, better luck next time.

Meeru

Banned
Blackface said:
Well, you have to see Dota 2 in motion to come to a full conclusion. For me, it feels like the units are ice skating..everything moves kinda too smooth

Blackface

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Lol's artstyle looks ugly as shit. Also, this weakass attempt at a troll isnt working. This is hon , the fucking troll big leagues, better luck next time.

I dont get how this is trolling at all. I think you might just be a bit over sensitive and paranoid.

Meeru said:
Well, you have to see Dota 2 in motion to come to a full conclusion. For me, it feels like the units are ice skating..everything moves kinda too smooth

Ya I have heard lots of people complain about how movement feels. Almost like a bad MMO where something just doesn't feel "right". I think some heroes movement is better then others, but it still needs work. I am not in beta though, so you would know better.

Blackface said:
I dont get how this is trolling at all. I think you might just be a bit over sensitive and paranoid.

Ya I have heard lots of people complain about how movement feels. Almost like a bad MMO where something just doesn't feel "right". I think some heroes movement is better then others, but it still needs work. I am not in beta though, so you would know better.
U mad kid?
Are you sure? You're trolling.

This whole movement talk reminds me of martyr's skating walking animation. The next martyr art should be an 80's disco dude.

Blackface

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Are you sure? You're trolling.

This whole movement talk reminds me of martyr's skating walking animation. The next martyr art should be an 80's disco dude.

I think that was the nicest most, non-trolling way to respond to him. It could have been worse, ask NBAGAF.

JoeMartin

Blackface said:
You get used to it, just like you get used to DOTA after playing it. But for new players everything blends together. Graphics are good, art style is shit. In lol the art style is good, but the graphics are shit.

I guess we reach an impasse here then, because I don't think either in LoL are particularly nice, but hey that's more a preference thing.

Blackface said:
DOTA2 fixed both problems.

I'm not so sure about that either yet. The muted color palette is nice for sure, and the whole "painted" theme is consistent and the models and spells and envoriment play together nicely; but from watching the dota 2 tourney I don't think the art, good as it may be, agrees with the style of game very well.

It's probably just an adjustment thing, and I'm reasonably certain I'll be playing dota 2 far more when it comes out provided they don't fuck it horribly (jesus if they do this I have to unlock and/or pay for heroes shit)

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't understand the hate for hon visually. "Things are confusing in teamfights/I can't tell what's going on" - yeah that's understandable when there's 90 heroes and you aren't familiar with all the spells and mechanics of each, but that's not really a visual issue as much as a raw knowledge issue.

Neki

bzm said:
fuck off from this thread

mq isnt that fun though :x

what you talking about, sexy moon queen is the best.

you farm it up, go gank someone with r when it's up, and win the game!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Blackface said:

U mad kid?

A lot of us here, including myself, think the LoL art style is cartooney garbage. We don't crap up the lol thread with shit like this, please don't crap up ours.

Nome

My professional opinion:
LoL has a very cohesive art style. HoN does not. Dota 2 has a cohesive style, but their hero design ranks from shit (old Doombringer, current Vengeful Spirit) to godly. They'll be sorting that out through beta though I guess.

LoL's artstyle may be cohesive, but it's far from good. The worst offenders are actually the hero portraits you see during the loading screen -- the in-game art is not as bad.

Those hero portraits are from a technical, drawing standpoint simply not proficient, as if they're highschool drawings of an anime fan. The anatomy, the perspective, the detail... it has a very amateurish feel about it. Which is surprising giving Riot is supposedly making a killing with this game.

(BTW I only play LoL.)

Kapura

Banned
the only things that really bother me about HoN's art style off the top of my head is the inconsistancy from one-off heroes, like Panda. He has physical stuns, and they have a different stun effect, but no other physical stuns have it. It's hard to learn without that sort of consistency in animation.

NukeDukem

Banned
bzm said:
seems relevant
http://i.imgur.com/J2iun.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

what is that on the left with the caption of "hon" ? Its so grimdark i cant tell what it is. can you up the contrast on it or something?

Nome

perryfarrell said:
LoL's artstyle may be cohesive, but it's far from good. The worst offenders are actually the hero portraits you see during the loading screen -- the in-game art is not as bad.

Those hero portraits are from a technical, drawing standpoint simply not proficient, as if they're highschool drawings of an anime fan. The anatomy, the perspective, the detail... it has a very amateurish feel about it. Which is surprising giving Riot is supposedly making a killing with this game.

(BTW I only play LoL.)
Riot encountered the same problem we did. They were a small startup that encountered very fast growth, both in size and talent. There's a distinct difference in quality between their older stuff and their newer stuff. That's what happens when you keep adding more heroes/champions to the pool. That's one thing Dota 2 has on both games; they already have the "full" pool to work with.

markot

Banned
Nome said:
My professional opinion:
LoL has a very cohesive art style. HoN does not. Dota 2 has a cohesive style, but their hero design ranks from shit (old Doombringer, current Vengeful Spirit) to godly. They'll be sorting that out through beta though I guess.
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Your the guy whos name is on the build guides >_<!

And anyways, ive been playing Engineer abit, and it seems I cant kill anything, I know he is support and all, but in 1v1 I get powned by everyones. That tree guy killed me like 13 times along last game, lucky the rest of the team was good so we won.

Also its hard to know where to put the mines >.>

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
markot said:
Man, this games grind is so....

One more win, after an hour, lots of drama, 8 coins. And still not even level 2....
I wouldn't even bother to solo, just try and find someone to queue with. Also I wouldn't get so obsessed over the coins, the free heroes have been pretty good so far.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Nome said:
My professional opinion:

Nome confirmed for neutral S2 employee.

yo Nome. I read your response on DRD website regarding Midas as an OP hero.

Why do you consider his stun hard to land?
His Q is similar to that of MoA's acid. A better version of it because it does burst damage, and it slows enemy every bounce. (Huge AoE length wise and width wise. It is almost impossible to dodge in a lane)

His W is similar to that of Pyro's wave, and Aluna's power throw, and has the potential to heal ally and deal more damage (This not only allows him to solo mid, but also side lane effectively).

His E allows him to teleport from point A to point B with a huge impact point (Disjoint / Escape, and potentially dash out even more damage).

With his R, any mix of these three skills guarentees a 2 second stun and further increase each nuke's damage.

Once he is open to public, I dont see why people would pick Pebble over Midas.
As a strength nuker Midas has 3 Int gain and 2.2 Str gain per level, whereas Pebble has 3 Str gain but only 1.6 Int gain per level. Also, Midas is a range hero with escape mechanism.

Midas has 3 nukes (potentially) that can deal more damage in a larger AoE / straight line compare to Pebble. As you can see from DRD's video, Midas is capable of nuking down mega creeps with just his Q and W. Pebble won't be able to do that.

Midas scales and farm much better. He does not rely on Blink Dagger nor Spellshards.

Similar comparsion can be made to any other heroes in HoN. I used pebble only because he is the only other strength nuker.

How to nerf him? Either reduce his Int gain per level, or scale down his damage (similar to what you guys did to MoA's acid).

Nome

PuppetYuber said:
yo Nome. I read your response on DRD website regarding Midas as an OP hero.

Why do you consider his stun hard to land?
His Q is similar to that of MoA's acid. A better version of it because it does burst damage, and it slows enemy every bounce. (Huge AoE length wise and width wise. It is almost impossible to dodge in a lane)

His W is similar to that of Pyro's wave, and Aluna's power throw, and has the potential to heal ally and deal more damage (This not only allows him to solo mid, but also side lane effectively).

His E allows him to teleport from point A to point B with a huge impact point (Disjoint / Escape, and potentially dash out even more damage).

With his R, any mix of these three skills guarentees a 2 second stun and further increase each nuke's damage.

Once he is open to public, I dont see why people would pick Pebble over Midas.
As a strength nuker Midas has 3 Int gain and 2.2 Str gain per level, whereas Pebble has 3 Str gain but only 1.6 Int gain per level. Also, Midas is a range hero with escape mechanism.

Midas has 3 nukes (potentially) that can deal more damage in a larger AoE / straight line compare to Pebble. As you can see from DRD's video, Midas is capable of nuking down mega creeps with just his Q and W. Pebble won't be able to do that.

Midas scales and farm much better. He does not rely on Blink Dagger nor Spellshards.

Similar comparsion can be made to any other heroes in HoN. I used pebble only because he is the only other strength nuker.

How to nerf him? Either reduce his Int gain per level, or scale down his damage (similar to what you guys did to MoA's acid).
I occasionally post on DRD, but I always post as "S2Nome". That dude is an impostor. I don't give attitude like him :)

I'm going to avoid commenting on your particular concerns because it's far too early to tell :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't think Midas is a problem yet. Pebbles stills feels like the safer blink initiator simplybecause of the speed of his combo and the flexibility of toss.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I feel like midas is a little bit OP, but not too much. Just drop his int gain a tad and maybe reduce the stun to 1.5 or 1 second and he'll be fine. But like yuber said, there's nothing more annoying in team fights than a good midas. Can take your entire team to half health and then disjoint/avoid a killing blow with his blink and get away with 10 hp. I've seen that happen way too many times, and it's always frustrating when you're on the opposite end of midas. And of course he scales just as well as hag, if not better; because late game he will have 2k+ hp and probably something like a null/frostwolf or null/sheep.

Neki

difference between midas and pebbles is midas has respectable int gain, meaning he can do his combo effectively at all levels, while pebbles is in dire needs of statslevels midas has a built in escape mechanism, pebbles does not. pebbles is in dire need of a port key, while midas doesn't need it, meaning he can use that 2100 gold to other items. midas cooldowns are also super low once he hits 6, 11, 16, meaning he is always casting in a team fight, compared to a pebbles with relatively high cooldowns. midas is also an insanely good farmer.

Guesong

Perhaps if there was a cap on his Golden Lions ; as in it can only heal/damage for X total combined, meaning like if you healed for 300 HP, the Golden Lions then wouldn't deal much damage to any opponent remaining.

T'would still apply the reagent though.

All in all though, I still consider Midas more balanced than Rhapsody. I can't believe Disco Inferno. Assuming good initiation, it's a 120 HP lifeswing per second AND per opponent in your team favor. On such a low cooldown.

I mean, it's good enough to be an ult.

Top Bottom