• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Knurek

Not really, all the characters in 1 are in 2. It's not like Samurai Shodown where some characters got dropped along the way.

The bandaged head guy was not wearing his bandages though! I think he's some sort of zombie in 2, while he was still alive in 1. But don't quote me on that.

That's not true, you have only awakened Kaede in LB2.
Not to mention you'd be missing on single best Neo-Geo background if you'd skip LB1:

Lbkaedebg.gif

Mercutio

That's not true, you have only awakened Kaede in LB2.
Not to mention you'd be missing on single best Neo-Geo background if you'd skip LB1:

Lbkaedebg.gif

I finally found a copy of 2 for a good price, and while I like it better overall (1 feels wrong without Hibiki), the background shortage is a huge bummer. I get that they wanted to have new and original backdrops, but it's a real shame that they aren't to the calibur or as many as the older title.

Otherwise, 2 all the way.

I've got one. It outputs a very good image, is well made, and the creator is a stand up guy who has quickly fixed any issues I've had with it. It's a BYO controller situation though, like most CMVS systems.

have you by chance used a tototek adapter to play Playstation controllers on it? If so, any complaints?

Celine

Finally reached the fifth and last stage in Last Resort (on normal).
It's a hard but satisfying shooter.

The only fault I can find in it is that sometime it is required to place your pod in diagonal but not always the game do it even though you correctly perform the movement.

Celine

Thoughts on Mutation Nation? I'm cracking up at these character designs, lol
From what I've played Sengoku 2 >> Robo Army > Mutation Nation.
Neo Geo really didn't had great beat'em up with the big exception of Sengoku 2 IMO, didn't help the output stopped in 1993 replace by a bunch of fighting games.

woodypop

From what I've played Sengoku 2 >> Robo Army > Mutation Nation.
Really? I like Sengoku and Sengoku 2, and have been wanting to get Mutation Nation and Robo Army (in that order). I haven't played them, but they look kinda cool. Is it the general consensus that Sengoku 2 ranks above them?

Samuray

Really? I like Sengoku and Sengoku 2, and have been wanting to get Mutation Nation and Robo Army (in that order). I haven't played them, but they look kinda cool. Is it the general consensus that Sengoku 2 ranks above them?

Well, I can only speak for myself but I like "Robe Army" and "Mutation Nation" a lot. MN plays excellent, attacks have a lot of ooomph! and it just feels good.
With RA, I really dig the atmosphere and the stages, as well as the fact that you can slash enemy robots in two. :)

The first "Sengoku" is certainly below those two, quality-wise....although I wouldn't want to miss out on it. Part 2 is really great but it's also so different from RA and MN that I find ir difficult to say that it's better.

Let's not forget "Burning Fight" here, guys! Sure it's not as polished as "Final Fight", but man, do I love this game. :)

Teknoman

EIGHTEEN BUCKS?!

Congrats indeed. I really want Mutation Nation too. It just oozes (heh) quality from the graphic style to the soundtrack.

I mean c'mon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs9AhsMyM3U

I seriously cant imagine this blasting in an arcade back in the day, combined with alot of bassy impact punches and yells, not attracting players.

After wanting one for over 20 years, I finally pulled the trigger on a Neo Geo! I ordered a CMVS and modified controller from JNX and just need to add some games now. I will probably add a NGPC as well. I cannot wait to play some of my favorite games on the actual hardware finally.

After wanting one for over 20 years, I finally pulled the trigger on a Neo Geo! I ordered a CMVS and modified controller from JNX and just need to add some games now. I will probably add a NGPC as well. I cannot wait to play some of my favorite games on the actual hardware finally.

Nice! Please post pics when you get it if it's not too much trouble.

Mercutio

Congrats, dude! And kudos on your selection of sellers: he's without question top tier. What games are you thinking about getting? Prices are spiraling up like crazy, so I'd actually suggest grabbing one pricey one that seems to be trending upwards instead of a bunch of cheaper ones that aren't going anywhere.

Nice! Please post pics when you get it if it's not too much trouble.

I will definitely take some pics.

Congrats, dude! And kudos on your selection of sellers: he's without question top tier. What games are you thinking about getting? Prices are spiraling up like crazy, so I'd actually suggest grabbing one pricey one that seems to be trending upwards instead of a bunch of cheaper ones that aren't going anywhere.

Even though I am pretty bad at them, I love SNK fighting games. So I will definitely get 1 or 2 of those. I was hoping to grab Garou, but it may be too expensive for me right now. Windjammers is a game I certainly want, but I have not found many available. I am not sure on the other games yet, I will have to do some thinking first.

Edit: I cannot believe I almost forgot Puzzle Bobble. I love that series, so that is definitely a buy.

Mercutio

I will definitely take some pics.

Even though I am pretty bad at them, I love SNK fighting games. So I will definitely get 1 or 2 of those. I was hoping to grab Garou, but it may be too expensive for me right now. Windjammers is a game I certainly want, but I have not found many available. I am not sure on the other games yet, I will have to do some thinking first.

Edit: I cannot believe I almost forgot Puzzle Bobble. I love that series, so that is definitely a buy.

Man, my only advice for you is to just bite the bullet and get Garou while you can. I thought I was overpaying a year ago when I spent $90 on my copy, and now look at it. It's one of the few games that is actually worth the price.

I might do that, if I can find a reputable seller. So far the only ones I can find are on ebay and they are being sold by people I was told to avoid by the neo-geo forums. The last thing I want to do is buy it for 250 or more only to find out it's a boot. I will just keep on looking.

Mercutio

I might do that, if I can find a reputable seller. So far the only ones I can find are on ebay and they are being sold by people I was told to avoid by the neo-geo forums. The last thing I want to do is buy it for 250 or more only to find out it's a boot. I will just keep on looking.

Keep an eye out on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I use Buyee to bring things over, and though they do charge fees, they're very reputable and great at communicating with sellers.

The good thing about a lot of Garou carts is that they're clear plastic; easy to check the boards.

Keep an eye out on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I use Buyee to bring things over, and though they do charge fees, they're very reputable and great at communicating with sellers.

The good thing about a lot of Garou carts is that they're clear plastic; easy to check the boards.

They are? Mine is green.

Mine is opaque green, but it is also purportedly a JP cart. I got a full or close to full kit, but I have no way of knowing if the cart or the rest of the kit is authentic.

Mercutio

This is odd. I ordered an SCART RGB cable from Quan at ArcadeWorks 10 days ago, but I haven't heard anything since and he doesn't seem to be around on eMail. My order still claims "Processing."

Has anyone talked to him in the past week?

This is odd. I ordered an SCART RGB cable from Quan at ArcadeWorks 10 days ago, but I haven't heard anything since and he doesn't seem to be around on eMail. My order still claims "Processing."

Has anyone talked to him in the past week?

That's strange, he was at the Neo-Geo forums today posting in the thread about the Omega.

it's been a while since I had contact with him but I remember reading that he was going to do away with the site. I'm sure he'll cease the use of that e-mail/domain in time (it's a really poorly constructed site, anyway). Maybe try him on N-G?

Mercutio

it's been a while since I had contact with him but I remember reading that he was going to do away with the site. I'm sure he'll cease the use of that e-mail/domain in time (it's a really poorly constructed site, anyway). Maybe try him on N-G?

The super cool thing about N-G is that I can't PM, as I don't post there enough anymore to warrant full access.

I "posted" to his wall thingy, hopefully he'll see that. I actually can't see the sales thread for the Omega anymore... but I also put a post in the "Omega Tech Support" section.

Quan is a good guy. I'm sure it'll be sorted out. About the limited access thing, and I'm not sure if it's an equal system, but I only have like 20 posts or something since the beginning of this year and I'm not restricted at all.

Mercutio

Quan is a good guy. I'm sure it'll be sorted out. About the limited access thing, and I'm not sure if it's an equal system, but I only have like 20 posts or something since the beginning of this year and I'm not restricted at all.

I assume I was restricted because I browsed the sales forum too much, and didn't post in other areas as much as admins wanted. Dunno. Not being able to PM is a real pain though... I traded parts I didn't need to others and got tech help from some awesome guys... Quan included. I'm sure my cable will be ironed out it is simply odd I haven't heard from him in a while. I actually sold him his xrgb mini a year ago and had a vmc installed in my omega... But all interactions were through n-g pm.

I was surprised that I did not lose pm/marketplace privileges also. I don't really post often, but I am going to start being more active in the community. It should really help having that community to help me get my MVS collection going. Especially if I add a NGPC to the mix as well soon.

Mercutio

I was surprised that I did not lose pm/marketplace privileges also. I don't really post often, but I am going to start being more active in the community. It should really help having that community to help me get my MVS collection going. Especially if I add a NGPC to the mix as well soon.

I generally checked in on the sales forum daily, even though I have a fairly complete collection of all the stuff I want. I suspect that's what got me the hammer. Never flipped things though, and always sold stuff at lower prices than the eBay norm. I post in the Gameplay forum occasionally, but that's generally it.

I really miss my NGPC. I lost it in a move a decade ago. Wonderful, wonderful little system. The fact that the games aren't on the 3DS VC is criminal.

Ah that makes more sense. I spent far more time in the gameplay or shooters part of the forum than sales until this week. I am trying to post a lot more, so that I don't get the hammer myself. I really want to see if someone has some games that I am looking for, but I don't want to push my luck either.

Yeah, I'm not up for jumping through hoops just to maintain basic communication privileges. I'll just stick to getting my things elsewhere.

If I could find more reliable sources, I would certainly do that also. Ebay is so full of boots and so many sellers just don't want to take board pictures. I am looking at some stuff on the NeoStore, and a couple of other places, but the pickings are slim that's for sure.

Mercutio

If I could find more reliable sources, I would certainly do that also. Ebay is so full of boots and so many sellers just don't want to take board pictures. I am looking at some stuff on the NeoStore, and a couple of other places, but the pickings are slim that's for sure.

I'd like another Metal Slug game and maybe Neo Bomberman (despite its lousiness in comparison to the PC Engine / Saturn games) but apart from that my collection is pretty much complete with LB2... which was an absolute bitch to find. If I was trying to build a collection now without buying and selling on N-G, it'd be a nightmare.

As it stands, my collection is:

Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown 2
Samurai Shodown 3
Samurai Shodown 4
Samurai Shodown 5
Last Blade
Last Blade 2
Baseball Stars
Real Bout 2: The Newcomers
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters 99'
World Heroes 2 Jet
Metal Slug 2
King of the Monsters
Wining Stakes 2
Neo Turfmasters

Each one's been done with a nice snapbox / art.
IMAG0066_zps0af99ab5.jpg

Yeah I mean the cheapest Garou I can find that looks to be real (board pics) is 240. Well over half of the listings are from the same guy who is a known bootlegger, it is rough. The only Windjammers I can find is not in good shape and is from France which is one place the NG forums said to avoid due to boots.

Mercutio

Yeah I mean the cheapest Garou I can find that looks to be real (board pics) is 240. Well over half of the listings are from the same guy who is a known bootlegger, it is rough. The only Windjammers I can find is not in good shape and is from France which is one place the NG forums said to avoid due to boots.

Windjammers is such a thing now, it's crazy. I tried it once and wasn't really into it, which is probably for the best. Zupapa, on the other hand, I do really like and that seems to be another game climbing quickly in price...

baphomet

Yeah, I'm not up for jumping through hoops just to maintain basic communication privileges. I'll just stick to getting my things elsewhere.

Opening a new account will bypass the restrictions. Shitty thing is they banned my account I had there since 04.

Yeah I cannot believe how hard it is to find Windjammers right now. I knew it would be pricey, but I never expected to have such a hard time finding a copy. Oh well, just have to keep looking.

Top Bottom