• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Ban Puncher

If you're considering jumping into the wild world of AES collecting but the prices are scaring you away, think of it this way - they will only continue to increase in value.

Unless some goober finds a long lost shipping container filled with brand new games and floods the market.

Peltz

If you're considering jumping into the wild world of AES collecting but the prices are scaring you away, think of it this way - they will only continue to increase in value.

Unless some goober finds a long lost shipping container filled with brand new games and floods the market.

I have a feeling that even if this comes true.... it still won't affect the price of AES stuff.

IrishNinja

that's the thing though - i respect ya'lls collections here, like everything about the arcadey nature of the NG games ive yet played, i've loved. i totally get the love the scene gets.

but if i won a nearly infinite amount of $ from lottery/etc tomorrow, i just wouldn't bite at some of these escalating prices...it's too much, and i already hate contributing to the bubble. i think metal slug 1 is an absolute classic & high on my run & gun list, but down payment on a car/house money? maaaaaaaaaaaan

klee123

Finally got the XRGB Framemeister and tested it with an AES via composite (Lol yeah I know)

Definitely an improvement over composite direct connection, but I already have the RGB cable on order and hopefully it'll arrive next week.

klee123

Just an update with the Framemeister, since I finally got an RGB cable.

It's amazing how much of a difference between Composite and RGB is.

I think I'm going to place an order for RGB cables for my other retro systems now.

Ban Puncher

Just an update with the Framemeister, since I finally got an RGB cable.

It's amazing how much of a difference between Composite and RGB is.

I think I'm going to place an order for RGB cables for my other retro systems now.

Welcome to the never ending money pit club.

Peltz

that's the thing though - i respect ya'lls collections here, like everything about the arcadey nature of the NG games ive yet played, i've loved. i totally get the love the scene gets.

but if i won a nearly infinite amount of $ from lottery/etc tomorrow, i just wouldn't bite at some of these escalating prices...it's too much, and i already hate contributing to the bubble. i think metal slug 1 is an absolute classic & high on my run & gun list, but down payment on a car/house money? maaaaaaaaaaaan

I agree with you. It'd be really cool to have an AES collection, but I think that I permanently missed the boat at this point.

I don't think I'd say the same thing for any other system.

Bar81

I agree with you. It'd be really cool to have an AES collection, but I think that I permanently missed the boat at this point.

I don't think I'd say the same thing for any other system.

Yes, getting in now is just being a glutton for punishment. A Blazing Star sold for $7k the other day. Although that was an auction, it seems that sellers can pretty much pick numbers out of thin air and someone will be waiting to pay that price.

SegaShack

Alright Neo-Gaf (never has that word been as appropriate as this thread), I ended up getting my first Neo Geo (and first Arcade Cabinet ever) yesterday. It's a 4 slot MVS and came with Metal Slug 4 and Street Hoops. It's so cool to have an arcade cabinet, I feel like I'm 5 years old again.

E27CF390-20FA-4B70-9FE3-942F072F115B_zpsp6unbww6.jpg

51F8D877-1DCE-4D72-BAE9-BA5EBB448350_zpslngeqsuy.jpg

FA118796-0E73-45FC-B907-62B28423AD49_zpsv2kvutke.jpg

Any tips for a first time owner? Do bugs ever try to get in these things (I don't have any bug problems, but was just curious if it's something to look out for)?

I purchased a 161 in 1 cart. Any recommended cheap games that I should get for the system as well?

Alright Neo-Gaf (never has that word been as appropriate as this thread), I ended up getting my first Neo Geo (and first Arcade Cabinet ever) yesterday. It's a 4 slot MVS and came with Metal Slug 4 and Street Hoops. It's so cool to have an arcade cabinet, I feel like I'm 5 years old again.

my man.

Any tips for a first time owner? Do bugs ever try to get in these things (I don't have any bug problems, but was just curious if it's something to look out for)?

I purchased a 161 in 1 cart. Any recommended cheap games that I should get for the system as well?
Looks awesome!! No better feeling than drinking coffee in the morning playing an arcade cabinet. Who reads papers?

Ban Puncher

Nice Big Red. The decals could use some TLC (or straight up replacing) and the joystick panel isn't original but it is nice and new looking.

Ditch those nasty bat-top sticks tho.

SegaShack

invite irishinja over post-haste
also congrats man! that looks so awesome

Looks awesome!! No better feeling than drinking coffee in the morning playing an arcade cabinet. Who reads papers?

Nice Big Red. The decals could use some TLC (or straight up replacing) and the joystick panel isn't original but it is nice and new looking.

Ditch those nasty bat-top sticks tho.

Thanks everyone! Happy to be part of the club. Now how am I supposed to wake up and go to work in the morning knowing that I have this thing ;)?

My 161 in 1 cart I ordered Wednesday showed up yesterday and me and a friend were playing through a decent amount of games on there. Anyone play Ninja Commando? It's easily one of the craziest games I've ever played, a lot of fun too.

I spent this morning calibrating the monitor (was really scared about getting shocked, but luckily nothing bad happened), looks great.

Any reccomendations on how to restore/repair the decals? Furthermore, the marquee and coin slots don't light up either, unfortunately the marquee is locked though and I do not have a key for it. As for joysticks, are you saying it would be worthwhile to replace them with the ball topped ones?

klee123

Ok, playing through the KOF games this weekend....

I find it kinda sad at how crappy the art design and music KOF 2K1 and 2K2 are.

KOF2K2 is particularly grating since it has a lot of remixes of the classic tunes like Arashi no Saxaphone 2 and Bloody both sound like crap.

Gameplay is good, but yeah art and music wise, both were a massive step back from the earlier games.

Ban Puncher

Got shown an AES copy of Rage of the Dragons today.

Shitty condition.

$3000

Next to it was an AES copy of Twinkle Star Sprites.

Also in shitty condition.

$4000

7QdhwzX.gif

SegaShack

"Let there be light!"

I was reading up about the strange lighting set up for Neo Geo Marquees and how to get it working. Well it turned out my MVS Cabinet had a fluorescent lighting rig already in there. A replacement bulb and starter (maybe $6 total) at the local Lowes was all it cost to replace them. Also bought some reproduction artwork off eBay. Looks great. (Please excuse the reflection of open blinds in the first photo).

Ban Puncher

^^Nice job on the backlight.

New AES additions;

sHzYOiN.jpg

I need to add a shmup or two to my collection. Any suggestions
that are under $1000 ¬_¬?

Ban Puncher

I have unibios 2.2 in my AES.

Any reason to upgrade to the current 3.3?

Edit - Bah, I just remembered it is 2.1 unibios. Upgrade time.

Thanks for posting those, a great read to get an insight into the mindset pre- home system.

I couldn't help but smile at the reference to 330 megabits, and that they doubted that there could be games that large ... the titles from Slug 3 onward had up to 700+ I believe.

Celine

Thanks for posting those, a great read to get an insight into the mindset pre- home system.

I couldn't help but smile at the reference to 330 megabits, and that they doubted that there could be games that large ... the titles from Slug 3 onward had up to 700+ I believe.
At the time of writing the biggest cart on a home console weighted 8 megabits (Strider on Mega Drive) thus it is understandable.
Note that 330 megabits is indeed the max addressable area by the Neo Geo without using a mapper.

Bar81

Thanks for the articles, really fun reads. Never really paid attention to the Neo given how expensive it was back in the day and couldn't even dream of getting one (convincing my parents to fork out for a Genny was enough of a challenge) but looking at game release dates the Neo would have been a really hard sell until about 1996 based on its lineup - but the lineup was absolutely killing it from 1996-2000 which I would consider the Neo golden years. Come to think of it, part of the reason I didn't pay much attention to the Neo besides the price was that there were only three Neo games that looked good to me in those early years - Nam, ML and ASOII while the Genny was straight fire in the early 90s with Strider, GnG, Sonic, Mercs and so on.

Teknoman

Im not sure if I still want an original neo stick. The "kidney bean" works nicely, but I really like the aesthetic of the original.

Ban Puncher

I couldn't find any information online about that 2.1 unibios having a wire soldered on it so I went straight to the source - Razoola. Here's what he said;

Yes I have seen this before, its done because the chip used has more space than is needed. The soldering locks out the unused space. With a new unibios you will not need to do this unless there is maybe an underlying issue with the AES.

Mystery solved.

Also, Unibios 3.3 ordered from Raz.

Samuray

Feeling kinda down I'll likely never own "Neo XYX" on AES. :(

I missed the game when it was sold originally and never got the opptunity to pick it up since then. This is a massive bummer....I love shmups, I love Neo Geo, and you can deduct from that how I feel about Neo Geo shmups. ^^
Also I really appreciate the quality of the NG Dev Team games I know so far.

I've been pondering to make some WTB threads but I don't think it'll do any good. Well, I'll probably have to try since the DC port or something like that wouldn't be the same for me. So I will have to live in eternal hope to one day find a copy, I guess. :)

Top Bottom