• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Bar81

Wow. I've never seen anything like it. There's no ramp up - BS suddenly goes for $7k and then the floodgates open and it's just prices across the board on Neo rares doubling and tripling effectively overnight.

Funny thing is there's so much denial about what's happening - just last week I had a self appointed price "expert" embarass himself claiming that the current price of Pulstar is $800. Sure bud, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Ban Puncher

Wow. I've never seen anything like it. There's no ramp up - BS suddenly goes for $7k and then the floodgates open and it's just prices across the board on Neo rares doubling and tripling effectively overnight.

Funny thing is there's so much denial about what's happening - just last week I had a self appointed price "expert" embarass himself claiming that the current price of Pulstar is $800. Sure bud, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Sell me yor Pulstar 4 $800 plox Bar.

Bar81

Sell me yor Pulstar 4 $800 plox Bar.

I'm not as much of an expert as the other guy so no can do ;) Anyway, only got the one for me - simply not cool enough to have multiple copies of games like the real big tymers. I will however pray to the NEO gods that the wallet rape you endure shall include a gentle reacharound.

Peltz

Got locked into a nasty pissing contest on an AES Pulstar.

$4K and I still didn't win.

Kinda relieved actually.
339.png

This is a judgment free zone. I certainly spend way more than the average consumer on retro gaming.

But 4K for a cart just feels too risky. Again I'm not judging, (honestly) but after a certain point, spending that much on a cart that can go bad due to bit rot or some other catastrophe simply seems unwise to me.

It's a dangerous game. If money were no object (as in, if I had a few hundred million dollars) I'd probably drop a bunch of it on an AES collection too.... otherwise, man, I'd be too nervous about protecting my investment.

Bar81

339.png

This is a judgment free zone. I certainly spend way more than the average consumer on retro gaming.

But 4K for a cart just feels too risky. Again I'm not judging, (honestly) but after a certain point, spending that much on a cart that can go bad due to bit rot or some other catastrophe simply seems unwise to me.

It's a dangerous game. If money were no object (as in, if I had a few hundred million dollars) I'd probably drop a bunch of it on an AES collection too.... otherwise, man, I'd be too nervous about protecting my investment.

That's the last thing on the long list of things to worry about when buying Neo homecarts. The first thing you need to be absolutely worried about is not getting a bootleg and very few people have any idea how to identify a bootleg, particularly later generations.

Anyway, I used to think I was a big baller but when I see these numbers I realize I'm not anymore - I don't think I would have gone in in a world with 4K Pulstars, 7K Blazing Stars and I can't even imagine what MS and BTG go for now ($10-15k a piece?). Props to everyone that has the stomach to be spending this kind of money on carts - I'm out.

klee123

Got locked into a nasty pissing contest on an AES Pulstar.

$4K and I still didn't win.

Kinda relieved actually.

On ebay? I was watching that auction since the start just to see how much it ended at.

Still 4K is tame considering how much Blazing Star went for recently.....

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
On ebay? I was watching that auction since the start just to see how much it ended at.

Still 4K is tame considering how much Blazing Star went for recently.....

It's what is making me seriously think about selling my collection.

Collection is really a stretch - I only have 25 games.

But I still own a couple games that seem to command a high asking price, like Blazing Star, Metal Slug 3, and Matrimelee. Games that I bought back in the day now go for 500% more than what I bought them for. Dude, when that happens in the stock market, you sell, right?

Peltz

Collection is really a stretch - I only have 25 games.

But I still own a couple games that seem to command a high asking price, like Blazing Star, Metal Slug 3, and Matrimelee. Games that I bought back in the day now go for 500% more than what I bought them for. Dude, when that happens in the stock market, you sell, right?

Yes. Especially if you're not swimming in money right now.

Then again, I feel like the prices are only going up from here.

Bar81

Collection is really a stretch - I only have 25 games

This is Neo dude - a 10 game collection can have a price of upwards of $30k given the right titles so 25 games most certainly qualifies (and imo would irrespective of the system).

Cynn

I have several commons but my AES gems are a set of mint (purchased new and tossed into the display cabinet) US versions of Rage of the Dragons and Matrimelee. I wonder what they go for mint these days.

I got a Neo 29 Japanese cab shortly after those and went to MVS for most things.

Ban Puncher

Damn nice grab, I haven't been able to snag a mvs copy in the last two years. Game is hard as hell though lol.

Thanks. I am really glad I missed out on that $4k+ copy of Pulstar from a couple of months ago because this one is in much better condition and was considerably cheaper.

Ban Puncher

Nice. Hope you confirmed authenticity. Congrats.

Short of opening it completely myself (which I am not prepared to do), it checks out as legit in every other way detailed online. Years of sleuthing on neo-geo.com forums and arcade-collector scans etc ticked all the boxes. Bought it from a reputable seller and honestly for what I paid for it, it wouldn't upset me greatly if it was a conversion.

When it arrived and from everything I checked, in my opinion it is 100% NO BOOT.

Now on to Big Tournament Golf.

test_account

XP-39C²
Did some cleaning in the bedroom and thought that i could brag/show off my Neo Geo collection :p A few titles, but nothing major rare or anything like that. The most rare/expencive is probably Sonic Wings 3 AES i think. I also have an 1 slot MVS Jamma board and a SuperGun at my parents' house.

71u60on.jpg

uq0fmoe.jpg

MhVodOo.jpg

KbwpSnw.jpg

EFWQCh8.jpg

Ban Puncher

Did some cleaning in the bedroom and thought that i could brag/show off my Neo Geo collection :p A few titles, but nothing major rare or anything like that. The most rare/expencive is probably Sonic Wings 3 AES i think. I also have an 1 slot MVS Jamma board and a SuperGun at my parents' house.

Been doing some intense cleaning and reorganising of my game collection the past couple of weeks. I know that feeling.

It's harder than you think to find a NAM 1975 for a decent price and isn't in terrible condition these days.

And without the black pen censorship.

galvatron

That AES Pulstar!

A friend hooked me up with his MVS cart for $50 way back when I was getting started out with my candy cab and every time I see a cart up for sale I remember the deal he gave me.

Bar81

As I see you around shmups or NG.com, I always wanted to see your collection :)

I remembered you were looking for BTG for a while.

Yeah, that one was the last one and I was looking for it for over a year - long story I think I described a few pages ago. Neo collecting these days makes me queasy - more power to everyone who has the stones to roll the dice on these high priced games with all the boots.

Bar81

I'll keep going, picking up this and that, until I get KOF 03 then I am out.

Anything new on the homebrew front?

Didn't you just say "Now on to Big Tournament Golf"?

Homebrew - the only thing that I know of is that horrible looking MS knockoff Kraut Buster.

test_account

XP-39C²
Been doing some intense cleaning and reorganising of my game collection the past couple of weeks. I know that feeling.

It's harder than you think to find a NAM 1975 for a decent price and isn't in terrible condition these days.

And without the black pen censorship.
I have the one with the black pen censor. Kinda "funny" story behind that, but also ridiculous. I got to for like $50 or so i guess back in 2007. Great game, wouldnt mind seeing more of this type of game today.

Samuray

Homebrew - the only thing that I know of is that horrible looking MS knockoff Kraut Buster.

Funny....I just mentioned on another forum that this KB dissing seriously bewilders me.

Sure, it ain't very original, but neither are most shmups and whatnot and people are still pleased with those. And you really think it's "horrible looking"? From what I've seen it looked pretty cool, but maybe I have bad taste. ^^

Anyway, as I said over there...I'm just happy that there are still new games being released for the system! In 2016! :)

Bar81

What's the average these days? Six? Seven?

If you can find it for that, I would consider it a "deal". No idea as that's one where it depends on how bad you want it - it's probably the rarest regular high value release - it was a golf game after all released early in the Neo's lifespan.

Bar81

Funny....I just mentioned on another forum that this KB dissing seriously bewilders me.

Sure, it ain't very original, but neither are most shmups and whatnot and people are still pleased with those. And you really think it's "horrible looking"? From what I've seen it looked pretty cool, but maybe I have bad taste. ^^

Anyway, as I said over there...I'm just happy that there are still new games being released for the system! In 2016! :)

Not a big fan of their stuff although some of their releases are pretty decent (I have three of their releases on DC), but this one just looks horrible. Then again I'm not a big fan of homebrew so I'm probably not the best guy to talk to about it.

Samuray

Not a big fan of their stuff although some of their releases are pretty decent (I have three of their releases on DC), but this one just looks horrible. Then again I'm not a big fan of homebrew so I'm probably not the best guy to talk to about it.

Funny....I never really through of their games as "homebrew', but I suppose they are. I somehow considered NG:DEV Team to be a fully fledged development studio, albeit of a smaller size.

Be that as it may, to me their games so far are spectacular. Don't know "Fast Striker" and "Neo XYX" all too well yet, hence my WTB post a couple of days ago, but the others are fantastic. Again - IMHO.

"Last Hope" has some really nice Euro shmup vibe going for it, and while it admittedly is rough around the edges I find it to be an impressive first game.

"Gunlord" is pretty awesome in every regard, and who wouldn't love an ode to "Turrican'?

And "Razion"....wow. What a ride. Sure, it's basic without any weapon pickups and so on, but man....that atmosphere! Those visuals. THAT MUSIC. This one hit all the right notes for me.

I like what I've seen so far of "Kraut Buster", but time will tell. Still, I'm not into (any other) homebrew stuff at all so this seems to be the exception to my rule, or something. :)

Bar81

Sadly, in today's retro scene it likely means the price of the cart will go up.

Thanks for the heads up - looking forward to some mobile Engrish.

AmyS

EGM #20 March 1991 - Neo Geo - letters to the editor - 2 reviews - 6 previews.

Bp9NiCY.jpg

(high-end console elite!)

qpAFIev.jpg

Neo Geo doubles its game library with 6 new games... the poor NEC SuperGrafx never managed to do that!

SW0xDvO.jpg

Top Bottom