• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah now that I've seen the scans, I see two more that look authentic, one by itself and one with a shock box, for about 20 bucks more than what I spent (plus shipping). I'm fine with repros and stuff you couldn't play normally / in your native language, but if it's available, prefer the real thing.

Really persistent lol :
"Hi
Hi I want to ask one last favor and offer you a refund for this work that I want to ask.
You can open the cassette, and remove the plates and wash them with soap and water with a brush, after drying in the hot sun for a day and try if it works correctly?
Regards"

I'm gonna stay civil but c'mon now lol.

Also even though the listing said St. Paul Arkansas, it shipped from Mexico, which I though was pretty good for MVS games...but still sent a red flag when it shipped.

What a scumbag.

Peltz

Yeah now that I've seen the scans, I see two more that look authentic, one by itself and one with a shock box, for about 20 bucks more than what I spent (plus shipping). I'm fine with repros and stuff you couldn't play normally / in your native language, but if it's available, prefer the real thing.

Really persistent lol :
"Hi
Hi I want to ask one last favor and offer you a refund for this work that I want to ask.
You can open the cassette, and remove the plates and wash them with soap and water with a brush, after drying in the hot sun for a day and try if it works correctly?
Regards"

Also even though the listing said St. Paul Arkansas, it shipped from Mexico, which I though was pretty good for MVS games...but still sent a red flag when it shipped.
Dude... he's telling you to go fuck yourself and he's not being subtle about it.

Reply by threatening him.

Ban Puncher

Really persistent lol :
"Hi
Regards"

Stop talking to this clown and start opening an eBay dispute case.

Glowsquid

If you need/don't want to just buy a new one (they can be pricey still) I might be able to help you out and give it a go/try to fix it. Just PM me.

Thanks for the offer!

----

How reliable are the AES stick and its kidney-shaped brother (the "Pro controller")? Like, can I just blindly buy one on evilbay and expect it to not be a piece of shit, or

No problem! Really, anytime!

Aside from cracked ball tops on the AES sticks, almost every stick I've bought on fleabay has been pretty close to perfection. Might need some light cleanup with armorall to remove and prevent inevitable scratches to the casing but that's only for looks. Function you should be fine, if anything it would have sticky buttons or at worst another decayed micro switch situation.

Personally I own a kidney bean controller too and find it comfortable but ultimately the controller I use the least. Friends love it however. Function and condition wise I'd say its even more reliable than the AES sticks on account of compact size and more "recent" parts. But I'd say go this route only if you want a cheap but reliable NG controller.

Teknoman

I use the pro stick aka kidney shaped one as a main controller, and it seems pretty reliable. Used it for my NGCD and then onward after I sold it for the MVS. The NGCD pad is pretty good too, but I still want an original AES stick because it looks so good!

EDIT: Guy gave me a refund after I told him what was up. I'll be shipping it back this week. Sucks that you have to get like that with people sometimes, but its all good. Still want a copy, and at least I know what to look for.

Ruprit

EDIT: Guy gave me a refund after I told him what was up. I'll be shipping it back this week. Sucks that you have to get like that with people sometimes, but its all good. Still want a copy, and at least I know what to look for.

Glad to hear. I was looking through the seller's past sales and every now and then there's a bootleg sold. Most of the sales were legit carts though. I can't tell if the seller doesn't know, or doesn't care. Especially when buyers leave positive reviews on bootleg purchases.

Peltz

So, this just happened:

13344664_10101447668687250_1235365004924765385_n.jpg
No big deal.

Peltz

I got an AES stick in yesterday and compared to the Hori, it feels like a cheap toy. The Fighting Stick Neo is the best stick I've used for the console yet.
Good to hear that. I may pick one up.

But, the actual stick (not the buttons or the body) of the AES controller is kinda cool, and feels pretty unique. Definitely, that part of the controller feels good.

The stock AES stick is pretty crappy IMO, but after some modding it's really quite nice.

Have mine modded with a Sanwa JLF and OBSF 24's, and it feels fantastic

So, this just happened:

No big deal.

Nice haul...they look mint! My copy of MS3 looks like it came out of a dumpster by comparison.

klee123

As an owner of MS3 on AES, the cost of getting the rest is just not feasible.

Really tempted to just get a consolized MVS just to play NTM, MS 1, 2 and X since getting all of that combined will be cheaper than the price of one of the slugs on AES.

Gyrian

I have 1, 2, and 3. Want 5 and then I feel it'll be complete. At the same time, I kinda want 4 just to have it though.

4 remains surprisingly affordable, you can still grab brand new full kits for around $60.

On the stick conversation, I have to say the bean style one is my favorite out of the stock SNK set. Feels really solid and comfortable. Even the buttons are better than you'd expect from pictures! Modded, I can only imagine. I have a JNX octo-gate on mine and absolutely love the thing.

I'd like to leave you with this picture I took of the lovely AES miniature toy. I'm still kind of buzzing on how beautifully detailed it is.

J0opeVp.jpg

Peltz

As an owner of MS3 on AES, the cost of getting the rest is just not feasible.

Really tempted to just get a consolized MVS just to play NTM, MS 1, 2 and X since getting all of that combined will be cheaper than the price of one of the slugs on AES.
My thoughts exactly.

I got MS1 for like 80 ish bucks about a year ago?

MS2 and X were 80 a piece. MSMS3 was $120, and I just accidentally won a second copy in even better condition for 90.

FML. I've been misfiring with my retro purchases all over lately.

Peltz

wow, how does MS6 look on MVS hardware?
It's not really MS6.

Anyway, it looks like due to my poor eBay skills, I will soon be the proud owner of two MS3 MVS carts.

I'd love for one of the two carts to go to a fellow Gaffer who is a big Metal Slug fan!

I'd be willing to part with it for less than I paid, but I vastly prefer to trade for it. The trade wouldn't need to be for equal value or anything, I just like the idea of doing business with a fellow enthusiast on this fine forum of ours. The trade also doesn't have to be for Neo Geo items only. I'm super open minded and easy to please.

Anyone interested should send me a PM :)

Edit:

Dammnit Peltz, how much?? I'll uh trade you my NGCD copy of MS1 for em....

Really though beautiful carts.

I'd actually let MS3 go for it, but I don't have a NGCD :-(
Sorry bro.

ToD_

Great, thanks. Yesterday I sent a message using the form on the website before I saw your response. I will use the email address you provided in case I don't get a response that way.

I'm hoping this will all work out. If the Analogue CMVS gets fixed and works as I expect, it should be a very nice system and comparable to the alternatives. Will keep you guys posted.

Sounds like a plan! Please keep us informed. I am working out a CMVS console myself. And with that said, I just purchased my first MVS cart just now!

Congrats on the purchase. I bought my Garou MVS cart about 15 years ago, and it is still one of my most played games. Definitely a classic worth owning.

I did not get an answer from James using the form on his website, but I received a prompt response when I emailed him directly. He said he wasn't surprised Analogue Interactive wasn't being very helpful and agreed to take a look.

I just shipped out the CMVS to him and I'm hopeful he will be able to take care of the issues I'm having. He sounded pretty confident. Fingers crossed.

isn't MS1 really valuable on NGCD? Maybe I'm thinking of MS2.

It's not really MS6.

Anyway, it looks like due to my poor eBay skills, I will soon be the proud owner of two MS3 MVS carts.

I'd love for one of the two carts to go to a fellow Gaffer who is a big Metal Slug fan!

I'd be willing to part with it for less than I paid, but I vastly prefer to trade for it. The trade wouldn't need to be for equal value or anything, I just like the idea of doing business with a fellow enthusiast on this fine forum of ours. The trade also doesn't have to be for Neo Geo items only. I'm super open minded and easy to please.

Anyone interested should send me a PM :)

Edit:

I'd actually let MS3 go for it, but I don't have a NGCD :-(
Sorry bro.

:((((((

I plan on getting a Supergun in the next two months plus a MVS motherboard so I'm starting to look into building a small library of necessary classics, Metal slugs of course on the list.

Yeah Metal Slug one goes for roughly 200$ on ebay but I would take trades for probably two Metal Slug titles or another good title. I love my NGCD but I really want an MVS now that I've more or less got most of the games reasonable for it (and would rather pick up the rest on MVS).

For real if anyone wants to trade in the future, lemme know! (Or if Peltz changes his mind lol)

Day 36, still waiting on my Omega CMVS.

Twice I've been told it would ship "this week"

The first time I was told this was 12 days ago

Lol

Peltz

By the way, how did they port games to NEO GEO CD? Didn't the MVS/AES carts have extra chips in them to increase the capabilities of the system (like other cart based systems of the time)?

Other than waiting for load times, did the games play as well on the NGCD as they did on the cart-based hardware? I have never played a NGCD in my life.

lherre

Accurate
I need to complete some sagas from aes but i'm not sure if I will be able to do it (financially)

One of my beloved games and consoles

cireza

By the way, how did they port games to NEO GEO CD? Didn't the MVS/AES carts have extra chips in them to increase the capabilities of the system (like other cart based systems of the time)?

Other than waiting for load times, did the games play as well on the NGCD as they did on the cart-based hardware? I have never played a NGCD in my life.
Having additional chips inside the cartridge was not so common. It was used a lot for the SNES, which was designed like this.

But the MegaDrive only has one single game with an additional chip (Virtua Racing). Otherwise, everything runs on stock hardware. Same for Master System, Game Gear.

I don't think that N64 used chips to enhance its games either. NES had a few ones, like Castlevania 3 for the sound.

Glowsquid

No.

I believe some games have compromises in animation due to memory constraints on the NGCD.

Some of the larger fighting games have background details cut or mirrored to help with loading times. Some fightans have missing frames of animation. Other games have different or missing voice clips and sound effects. A few games may sound different because of the difference in storage quality (Cyber-Lip is one game whose CD version has better-sounding music despite not being rearranged, because the CD version doesn't bother with the original version's dopey implementation of 3D surround sound, so the soundtrack is a lot more audible). This French page shows the games with noticeable differences

Overal though, NGCD games play identically to their catridge counterparts and look and sound identically took like 95% of the time. Beside the storage medium and increased RAM, the CD is the exact same hardware as the MVS and AES. Art of Fighting 3 and Last Bade 2 are the only games seriously compromised on CD.

IrishNinja

Day 36, still waiting on my Omega CMVS.

Twice I've been told it would ship "this week"

The first time I was told this was 12 days ago

Lol

ive heard issues with them on that end...god id still kill for an Omega. as it is, id love to somehow toss kevtris' FPGA thing (whenever it's done) into a similar shell somehow haha

No.

Some of the larger fighting games have background details cut or mirrored to help with loading times. Some fightans have missing frames of animation. Other games have different or missing voice clips and sound effects. A few games may sound different because of the difference in storage quality (Cyber-Lip is one game whose CD version has better-sounding music despite not being rearranged, because the CD version doesn't bother with the original version's dopey implementation of 3D surround sound, so the soundtrack is a lot more audible). This French page shows the games with noticeable differences

Overal though, NGCD games play identically to their catridge counterparts and look and sound identically took like 95% of the time. Beside the storage medium and increased RAM, the CD is the exact same hardware as the MVS and AES. Art of Fighting 3 and Last Bade 2 are the only games seriously compromised on CD.

Team NGCD represent. Though I'm planning on getting an MVS soon so idk if you'll let me stay in the club Glowsquid.

Last Blade 2 is still a fun game on the system and the only port that has the arranged traxs (Ps4 has arcade OST, ps2 compilation is just too janky in general, do not buy ever) these games are SNK's sound teams height of music so unless you have the CD version as well as a cart (for those loadtimes) I honestly don't think its a complete experience.

klee123

U ballin son. Those MS carts alone are worth a few G's at least

Depending on where, all of those combined can fetch 10K easily.

The value of the AES slugs have skyrocketed in the last few years and even 4 which is the least valuable of slugs still command higher prices than the majority of other AES titles.

Just insane really.

So I decided to cancel my online Omega order and picked it up at Videogames New York..last one in stock so guess I lucked out. The shipping time was just too much to handle.

qFsrTMnh.jpg

It's so good.

Depending on where, all of those combined can fetch 10K easily.

The value of the AES slugs have skyrocketed in the last few years and even 4 which is the least valuable of slugs still command higher prices than the majority of other AES titles.

Just insane really.

I seriously regret not buying AES games back in the day. I could've been a millionaire right now selling them off.

Lol yeah..i asked about the scart cable, and he said something about this being the US and no one outside of Europe uses it..i tried explaining how it's preferable but he said it just doesn't make sense for them to carry it. I've become so accostumed to using scart I forgot most Americans have never even seen one.

Peltz

Lol yeah..i asked about the scart cable, and he said something about this being the US and no one outside of Europe uses it..i tried explaining how it's preferable but he said it just doesn't make sense for them to carry it. I've become so accostumed to using scart I forgot most Americans have never even seen one.

Not only have most Americans not heard of SCART, a significant portion of retro-gamers haven't heard of it either in the US. It's pretty crazy when you think about it.

So I decided to cancel my online Omega order and picked it up at Videogames New York..last one in stock so guess I lucked out. The shipping time was just too much to handle.

qFsrTMnh.jpg

It's so good.

I seriously regret not buying AES games back in the day. I could've been a millionaire right now selling them off.

That looks gorgeous ugh, so tempted to get a Omega, but now I'm more into the idea of a supergun setup. Even if aesthetically its not very pretty to have an exposed motherboard nor economic space wise, its cheaper initially (and a helluva lot more temperamental apparently)

Also loving that spicy gamecube.

Gyrian

Very nice! Looking back, it's both impressive and hard to believe they made it to 10 installments in the same platform like this. And right in the middle, they arguably put out both the best game in the series as well as the classiest cover artwork all in the same. :)

Peltz

AES boxes are so classy.

I should really get shock boxes for my MVS games. Does anyone know a good place to buy them?

That looks gorgeous ugh, so tempted to get a Omega, but now I'm more into the idea of a supergun setup. Even if aesthetically its not very pretty to have an exposed motherboard nor economic space wise, its cheaper initially (and a helluva lot more temperamental apparently)

Also loving that spicy gamecube.

If you plan on playing arcade formats besides MVS then supergun is the way to go of course, but since I mainly want to play MVS carts I thought Omega would be a solid choice. And so far I have nothing but praise for it, love this thing!

Oh and the spicy cube is just a shell I got off ebay to replace my busted up black shell ;) always loved that color, I don't get why they never released it in the US..

Top Bottom