• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey! Pikmin |OT| Hey! Listen! Now you can hear Pikmin dying wherever you go!

maxcriden

i could watch this all day

I remember playing Mass Attack and going, "man, it would be so cool if we got a Pikmin game like this." So happy it actually happened!

tumblr_nep1h7xVvC1qg0b7fo1_500.gif

You were very prescient!

Looking forward to reading your review.

tenor.gif

minimighty_pikminjumping.gif

TheMoon

4-C has so many giffable skits.

I wrote the thing about this game's goals to make the Pikmin more endearing to the players BEFORE seeing this. But holy cow. You "park" non-blues on bouncy petals while you go through water. It's the most adorable thing. I can't even. They're so excited.

The difference between Hey! Pikmin and Arzest's Yoshi efforts is that the former was creating something unique out of an established IP, so I've always been pulling for it. Needless to say, my expectations were met with this spin-off.

In any case, my review is up for those who want to read it.

Great review.
I found the Pikmin Amiibo at last, it seems there is a restock (in France). The little critters are on their way. Playing this and DQXI on 3DS side by side is a perfect "summer gaming moment" for me ! :)
Well at least it is doing ok in Japan, but it seems such a low-key release on GAF, it is scary, almost like an obscure eshop release. Wonder how the game is performing in the west :-(

TheMoon

Great review.
I found the Pikmin Amiibo at last, it seems there is a restock (in France). The little critters are on their way. Playing this and DQXI on 3DS side by side is a perfect "summer gaming moment" for me ! :)
Well at least it is doing ok in Japan, but it seems such a low-key release on GAF, it is scary, almost like an obscure eshop release. Wonder how the game is performing in the west :-(

it charted (top 10, iirc?) in the UK at least in w1. since it's the UK, that's quite good lol.

it charted (top 10, iirc?) in the UK at least in w1. since it's the UK, that's quite good lol.

Nah, that was Miitopia. Hey! Pikmin sadly only managed to reach 29. That was in the all format chart, though. I have no idea how it done over here in terms of the 3DS only titles chart.

I fully finished the 3rd area off, yesterday evening.

Man, I felt like such an idiot when trying to get the 3rd treasure in 3-A.

I was trying to use the Rock Pikmin to create a bridge using the bugs that were coming out of the holes. I figured you had to get them to stop at the same height as the floor and then your Pikmin could carry the treasure across. I tried for a while to get this to work and it just didn't happen. It then dawned on me...use my jetpack to pick it up myself. I felt like a right muppet.

I loved 3-C. I thought it would be a headache completing the stage with losing a Pikmin but it wasn't that bad at all. I thought using the different tunnels and various Pikmin weight to get the flowers to work was great. Very fun stage.

I'm still really enjoying the game and because of how much fun it is I have yet to even open Miitopia.

TheMoon

Nah, that was Miitopia. Hey! Pikmin sadly only managed to reach 29. That was in the all format chart, though. I have no idea how it done over here in terms of the 3DS only titles chart.

oh?! I somehow mixed up the two.

Man, I felt like such an idiot when trying to get the 3rd treasure in 3-A.

I was trying to use the Rock Pikmin to create a bridge using the bugs that were coming out of the holes. I figured you had to get them to stop at the same height as the floor and then your Pikmin could carry the treasure across. I tried for a while to get this to work and it just didn't happen. It then dawned on me...use my jetpack to pick it up myself. I felt like a right muppet.

ahahahahah that is EXACTLY what happened with me when I played this in the demo :D

I spent forever trying to line them up lol

and then ...suddenly .... "oh, I can just..." :D

I actually kind of like this more than normal Pikmin. This works surprisingly well as a 2D game.

Main Pikmin games tend to look like some kind of "chill games" (the music, the setting etc) but they can be rather stressfull since you have many different things to manage...this spinoff is a lot more relaxing in its core concept. Well not "Animal Crossing" relaxing but it is rather slow-paced and easy to pick.

I like how, while being really different from the main series, it still has that "pikmin feel". A package full of cuteness, slavery, quirckiness and cruelty. With an extra dose of humour this time.

Fully finished the fourth area last night and started the fifth area this morning. I enjoyed the verticality of 4-A. It made for a nice change.

I love the winged Pikmin. Throwing them at enemies at a fast pace feels like I'm firing bullets. It's very satisfying.

The main issues are
the raindrops will push you a good amount back, the annoying enemy that hovers above & will land on top, & then at the very end, the rain is even worse combined with more of the hovering enemies AND a giant frog-like creature blocking the goal.

I just finished this level and I quite enjoyed it. It reminded me of that scene from Honey I Shrunk The Kids where the kids are running from the water being dropped by the sprinkler.

The way I tackled the end part of the stage was
Throw Pikmin at the frog and as soon as jump jumped, called my Pikmin and then legged it underneath him.

TheMoon

Fully finished the fourth area last night and started the fifth area this morning. I enjoyed the verticality of 4-A. It made for a nice change.

I love the winged Pikmin. Throwing them at enemies at a fast pace feels like I'm firing bullets. It's very satisfying.

Yea more than platformer this game is actually a shooter. You just fling mortars most of the time. And your projectiles sound excited.

Yea more than platformer this game is actually a shooter. You just fling mortars most of the time. And your projectiles sound excited.

I just finished 5-D and was loving it that the game essentially turned into a
horizontal shooter!

This game keeps throwing all kinds of surprises at me.

I finished the game this morning, nabbing all the treasures and beating all levels with no Pikmin lost. Here's pics of each of the area maps from my Miiverse.

Area 1
Area 2
Area 3
Area 4
Area 5
Area 6
Area 7
Area 8
Area 9

The only thing left to do is to scan a few amiibo in to complete the log. Sadly, over here in the UK, you can't get the Mario series Diddy and Donkey Kong figures for love nor money in regular stores. I'll have to wait for a restock.

The other amiibo logs I am missing are the first 4. I assume 2 of them are Gold and Silver Mario ( never got an official release over here, which is annoying ) but I have no idea what the other two are.

I'm a 35 year old gamer who tends to not listen to reviewers a lot of the time simply because i've been gaming long enough to know what I will probably enjoy. I'm glad this is one of those cases where I chose to disregard what the majority have said and play the game regardless.

I honestly think that reviewers have really got it wrong on this one. The game is like many other Nintendo games in that the main game is easy but there is something extra and challenging for those wanting a tougher experience. The game seems to have been marked down by a lot of people purely because it is easy. Most Mario games are stupidly easy when just going from start to finish but the games don't get put under the microscope for it.

There's a lot of cool gameplay moments that come from some of the later levels, especially when the winged Pikmin are introduced. The way the game mixes the gameplay up was very surprising and, at times, had me smiling from ear to ear. Area 7-C had me grinning like a cheshire cat when playing it. In fact, basically any level that involves the winged Pikmin is an absolute joy to play.

There were certain music tracks in the game that really fit the tone of the level they were playing on. I dunno why but some of them kind of felt they would feel right at home alongside the more subdued and relaxing tracks that David Wise produced in the original DKC games.

I've been a member on Gaf for a few years now ( I tend not to post and just lurk the gaming boards ) but I felt the need to post about this game because, given the lack of conversation in this thread and even Miiverse, I feel many are not giving this game a fair chance. I honestly think this will go down as a bit of a hidden gem in years to come.

In conclusion, I think this is a great game and one of my favourite titles of the year across all platforms. Yeah, it's not a standard Pikmin game but if people can look past that and take the game for what it is, a charming 2D Pikmin game, then I think they could end up enjoying what is on offer here.

I finished the game this morning, nabbing all the treasures and beating all levels with no Pikmin lost. Here's pics of each of the area maps from my Miiverse.

Area 1
Area 2
Area 3
Area 4
Area 5
Area 6
Area 7
Area 8
Area 9

The only thing left to do is to scan a few amiibo in to complete the log. Sadly, over here in the UK, you can't get the Mario series Diddy and Donkey Kong figures for love nor money in regular stores. I'll have to wait for a restock.

The other amiibo logs I am missing are the first 4. I assume 2 of them are Gold and Silver Mario ( never got an official release over here, which is annoying ) but I have no idea what the other two are.

I'm a 35 year old gamer who tends to not listen to reviewers a lot of the time simply because i've been gaming long enough to know what I will probably enjoy. I'm glad this is one of those cases where I chose to disregard what the majority have said and play the game regardless.

I honestly think that reviewers have really got it wrong on this one. The game is like many other Nintendo games in that the main game is easy but there is something extra and challenging for those wanting a tougher experience. The game seems to have been marked down by a lot of people purely because it is easy. Most Mario games are stupidly easy when just going from start to finish but the games don't get put under the microscope for it.

There's a lot of cool gameplay moments that come from some of the later levels, especially when the winged Pikmin are introduced. The way the game mixes the gameplay up was very surprising and, at times, had me smiling from ear to ear. Area 7-C had me grinning like a cheshire cat when playing it. In fact, basically any level that involves the winged Pikmin is an absolute joy to play.

There were certain music tracks in the game that really fit the tone of the level they were playing on. I dunno why but some of them kind of felt they would feel right at home alongside the more subdued and relaxing tracks that David Wise produced in the original DKC games.

I've been a member on Gaf for a few years now ( I tend not to post and just lurk the gaming boards ) but I felt the need to post about this game because, given the lack of conversation in this thread and even Miiverse, I feel many are not giving this game a fair chance. I honestly think this will go down as a bit of a hidden gem in years to come.

In conclusion, I think this is a great game and one of my favourite titles of the year across all platforms. Yeah, it's not a standard Pikmin game but if people can look past that and take the game for what it is, a charming 2D Pikmin game, then I think they could end up enjoying what is on offer here.

Thank you for posting this - I've sort of held off buying this because I wasn't sure it had that "nintendo" challenging part where there are things that one can do in order to find things a bit harder.

I will make sure to pick it up then. Also I have the DK one I think, I could mail it across mate, make sure you 100% the thing.

TheMoon

Glad to know I'm not the only one making that connection ;D

Random note: the music in 2-B is absolutely Wise-tastic. Wonderful stuff.

And with 9 Areas, you sure weren't kidding saying this is quite the meaty game. I guess I'm about halfway through!

Great write-up! Makes me extra-excited to jump back in.

Also I have the DK one I think, I could mail it across mate, make sure you 100% the thing.

Thanks for the offer but i'll be picking it up eventually. I'm happy to wait for them to come back in stock. Thanks again, though.

Sorry, Moon. I hadn't realised you had already commented on the Wise similarities. Some of the tunes certainly do match his style.

TheMoon

Sorry, Moon. I hadn't realised you had already commented on the Wise similarities. Some of the tunes certainly do match his style.

Just meant to point out that I'm glad someone else noticed the similarities too :)

Possibly also Eveline Novakovic-esque. Somewhere between the two.

Can't agree more. Attempted some of the No Pikmin Lost runs and it's quite difficult. Definitely gonna have to put some time into it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sector 8-X is probably the hardest level in the game. It isn't helped it's one of THOSE levels, where you have to slowly drift to the end of the level by the game's pace, meaning you feel like you can't go by your own pace.

At the very least, I got all the amiibo in-game now.

Sector 8-X is probably the hardest level in the game. It isn't helped it's one of THOSE levels, where you have to slowly drift to the end of the level by the game's pace, meaning you feel like you can't go by your own pace.

At the very least, I got all the amiibo in-game now.

The hardest level in the game is not saying much, as I don't find this game has any sort of rising difficulty. Most of the world 7 and 8 levels are just as easy as world 1 or 2. 8-X is the only level with a bite, and only really for the very last treasure. Oh, and if you were going for no Pikmin death trophys, but since there is no reward for getting those, I won't waste my time. The reward for all treasures sucks too, but those are fun to get so whatevs, got them all anyway.

Got all the amiibo trophys with my handy Pikmin amiibo. Overall, got all stages, treasures, amiibo trophies and about half the gold pikmin no death trophies in about exactly 15 hours. I liked it a lot, it's cute and charming.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
....oh, no reward for getting all those gold pikmin icons? Bummer, I got pretty much all of them up to where I am. I still want all treasures, though. I've been trying to double up on making the game more challenging/interesting by combining both "no pikmin deaths" & "get all treasures" in a single playthrough of a level.

Either way, I kind of want to hurry up & finish so I can tell it towards one of the many games I want to get in Sept. I'm glad I picked this up, but after getting everything, I can't see myself coming back to this.

bumpkin

...there's eight Sectors? I just reached Sector 7 and already reached 30k Splarklium. I hope the game doesn't wear out its welcome. Length for the sake of length is one of my game pet peeves.

...there's eight Sectors? I just reached Sector 7 and already reached 30k Splarklium. I hope the game doesn't wear out its welcome. Length for the sake of length is one of my game pet peeves.

I reached 30k at about sector 5 lol. The requirement is way too low, and then it's meaningless anyway because you still have to beat all the stages. I think you'll be fine, I blew right through sectors 7 and 8 this afternoon and I found it didn't wear on me at all. It helps that each stage introduces some new element to keep it fresh.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well TECHNICALLY, there's 9, but Sector 9 is just the final battle, no other levels.

But yes, 8 sectors with 4 levels + 1 secret level each it seems, plus the final boss.

I do agree around sector 6 is when I started to feel a bit tired. Though I also had almost 57k sparklium by the time I beat the game, so I had more than enough by the end of the game, not to mention I had cleared out the Pikmin Park around sector 7.

But at the very least, it does try to keep it varied by having each world revolve around a different theme/type of mechanic.

Edit:....so there's no reward for getting all the treasures aside from "hey, you got them all, yay i guess"???

Well TECHNICALLY, there's 9, but Sector 9 is just the final battle, no other levels.

But yes, 8 sectors with 4 levels + 1 secret level each it seems, plus the final boss.

I do agree around sector 6 is when I started to feel a bit tired. Though I also had almost 57k sparklium by the time I beat the game, so I had more than enough by the end of the game, not to mention I had cleared out the Pikmin Park around sector 7.

But at the very least, it does try to keep it varied by having each world revolve around a different theme/type of mechanic.

Edit:....so there's no reward for getting all the treasures aside from "hey, you got them all, yay i guess"???

The scene after the credits is the "reward" apparently. Yes, that's pretty pathetic.

FleenerW

I usually lurk around as well, but mainly because I feel that others pretty much cover my thoughts sooner or later. I'm only playing a few levels a day to make it last, but I am enjoying it more than I anticipated, though! It's been a good way to unwind for a bit and relax.

Also not sure if this has been posted before, but if anyone enjoys Pikmin trivia (specifically about Pikmin 3's models) this video is pretty nifty.

Mcdohl

Finished the game :)

I loved it. I mean, it's not a 10/10, but it was a very enjoyable game for my commute.

The music and environments, as well as the charm of the pikmins helped me relax (specially after work) while having fun.

This game got a 6 from Edge, not too bad...My only complaint so far is that it is waaaay too easy to get the gold thing you need to pick up (don't remember the name). I actually AVOID getting some in the latter area lol.

Salsa

enjoying it. pretty relaxing music is great

.... but the framerate is seriously atrocious on an O3DS XL

yikes

read it was didn't know it was THIS bad

sphinx

the piano man
what do I do in the pikmin park??

I am in sector 3.

I can only send pikmin to the middle area where pikmin just stay there plucking grass. I asume I should leave them there while I go play levels, is that right?

also, why can't I access other areas of the park?

also, what exactly is blocked behind the amiibo? I read there's amiibo statues but is the amiibo required to get all treasures and beastiary entries?

what do I do in the pikmin park??

I am in sector 3.

I can only send pikmin to the middle area where pikmin just stay there plucking grass. I asume I should leave them there while I go play levels, is that right?

also, why can't I access other areas of the park?

also, what exactly is blocked behind the amiibo? I read there's amiibo statues but is the amiibo required to get all treasures and beastiary entries?

Send your Pikmin, they will find treasures and gold thing. Go play more levels. Send more Pikmin once you finish a level. You will have access to the other areas later on.

Mario, Splatoon and Animal Crossing amiibos series unlock the tapped amiibo in a special level. It will add some funny entries based on the amiibo in Olimar diary.
The Pikmin Amiibo let you save your number of pikmin on it and then call them during a level by tapping the amiibo. Once you reached the max level of the amiibo, you can call 20 pikmins during a level as many times as you want (to me, it is basically the "easy mode" locked behinh the amiibo)

"hey, all"...was wanting to learn more about the music and overall mood of the game. For me, Pikmin 1 was the pinacle of the series in this regard. Just a beautiful combination of visuals, music and charm. Gameplay aside, does this game somewhat capture that feeling in your opinion?

TheMoon

"hey, all"...was wanting to learn more about the music and overall mood of the game. For me, Pikmin 1 was the pinacle of the series in this regard. Just a beautiful combination of visuals, music and charm. Gameplay aside, does this game somewhat capture that feeling in your opinion?

Gonna sound weird but this one has a more DKC-style of music going, at least in some levels. In a good way! Got a bit of a groove to it. It fits the game well, the music is one of its strong points, in my opinion.

Check it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb6cTThS1bE&list=PLFwObPlg7Y1pqc19f_R2Hgf2PvIIa3og9

sphinx

the piano man
I just finished this game.

so what were the rewards for doing specific things???

.- complete list of treasures.
.- no pikmin-death on all stages
.- complete lists of enemies/pikmin items

also, why the hell did I keep getting more sparklium in the first place? it feels like I just needed the final piece from the final boss to be done with all of this.

I'd think I'd get an ending or some sort of acknowledgement from the game depending on the amount of sparklium.

saw the end, put it back in its case, won't come back.

I enjoyed it but barely.. 6.5~7/10

Top Bottom