• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey! Pikmin |OT| Hey! Listen! Now you can hear Pikmin dying wherever you go!

I wasn't as apprehensive as some since I've enjoyed Arzest games but so far I'm really liking it. It's Pikmin lite. It retains the charms of the main series and will act as a stepping stone for people. Plus I'm cool with a little shakeup for the franchise. It shows Nintendo at least wants the series to be out there. Plus it takes me back to the days of the original ds with how it plays

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh well this game is just delightful and it gives me an excuse to buy the Olimar amiibo I've always wanted but never had a use for.

TheMoon

It seems the real challenge is doing a no-death run for all the stages, especially if you get all 3 treasures at the same time. If you just blast through the level without bothering to search around, then yeah, this game will be very easy.

So the normal Nintendo-rule still applies. It's never about how hard it is getting to the end, but what you manage to do along the way.

Not too confident about Arzest, so I'll wait and see how the reviews go.

They reviews have been out for days.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So the normal Nintendo-rule still applies. It's never about how hard it is getting to the end, but what you manage to do along the way.

They reviews have been out for days.

Ah ah it is true
I received my review code very late this time but I admit

Game is waaaaay better than I initially thought
Charming in art direction especially for sound effects, good use of the double screen at the point to remind me about the DS glory days, and very keen to adapt a new approach to the roots of the franchise

It will probably be overlooked by being a 3DS game (not in Japan. It is selling very well) but it is a good game

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pretty much, I usually apply the rule to Kirby games. I don't know how I would've beaten True Boss Arena in Planet Robobot without the use of the UFO ability & spamming amiibos.

It could just be the fact I only paid $6, but I'm enjoying it. I felt a few times I lost my pikmin in Sector 2 were the fault of the pikmin AI not keeping up with me or deciding they needed to move to the thorns while I was swimming, but overall, I feel like for the most part, it's all about taking your time.

I don't know how I'd feel about paying $40, but if I got this for $20, I'd be content. I just hope there's some kind of reward for beating all the stages with the gold pikmin icon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You had me at "paid $6." How did that happen!?
Amazon Prime Day glitch. I got it along with $13 for Dragon Quest Builders. I was surprised Amazon actually send it for that price. There was some insane prices like Crash N.Sane for $6.

I still get a chuckle out of the fact I spent more money to get the amiibo made for the game than for the game itself.

Captain's Log: Day 2

The Pikmin have arrived with my game. They are fairly efficient creatures. This deserves further study.

GeekyDad

Amazon Prime Day glitch. I got it along with $13 for Dragon Quest Builders. I was surprised Amazon actually send it for that price. There was some insane prices like Crash N.Sane for $6.

I still get a chuckle out of the fact I spent more money to get the amiibo made for the game than for the game itself.

Ah. Well, still seems worthy. I'm glad they're doing things with Pikmin. Will pick it up, regardless.

RaidenZR

Spent about 2 hours with this last night, and it's pretty good. Having skipped the demo, I'm happy to see it's better than how I was expecting it to turn out. I'm surprised there's not a lot of people talking about it in here. This thread is pretty quiet.

So far the levels are fairly straightforward but there are some reflex challenges mixed with simple ability puzzles... and I was delighted to learn about alternate exits and branching paths. That adds some welcome replayabilityy to the game's stages. The log descriptions are also as charming as you would expect from a Pikmin game, especially since the "treasure" are real-world objects again and not just various fruits.

I am a bit disappointed that Olimar doesn't actually have the ability to "pick" the Pikmin (or anything) out of the ground. Seems like an odd omission to the core namesake interaction.

Gonna play some more a bit later this weekend...

kubus

I am a bit disappointed that Olimar doesn't actually have the ability to "pick" the Pikmin (or anything) out of the ground. Seems like an odd omission to the core namesake interaction.
I agree with you, but it should be said that the Pikmin = Pick Me story that has been going around the internet isn't true. The name comes from "Piki", which was the name given to the characters in a very old prototype of the game. It was then changed due to problems with copyright.

I do miss plucking Pikmin from the ground in Hey! Pikmin though :(. The more I play it, the more I want to go back to Pikmin 1/2/3 (not that Hey! Pikmin is a bad game)

Spent about 2 hours with this last night, and it's pretty good. Having skipped the demo, I'm happy to see it's better than how I was expecting it to turn out. I'm surprised there's not a lot of people talking about it in here. This thread is pretty quiet.

So far the levels are fairly straightforward but there are some reflex challenges mixed with simple ability puzzles... and I was delighted to learn about alternate exits and branching paths. That adds some welcome replayabilityy to the game's stages. The log descriptions are also as charming as you would expect from a Pikmin game, especially since the "treasure" are real-world objects again and not just various fruits.

Gonna play some more a bit later this weekend...

The hate for Arzest is strong. I picked it up last night and can't wait to dive in. I simply cannot resist a Pikmin game.

maxcriden

Very much enjoying the game. It is a lovely experience so far. A couple small quibbles or queries:

1) Olimar can be really finicky to move mid-air. There's a spot in 1-C where I left some Pikmin behind with the intent to pick them back up, but some mushrooms bounce you and when you try to get back (I tried like 50 times) it's impossible.

2) Is there a way to see exactly how many Pikmin are with you and how many are in the field? I couldn't figure this out from the HUD or pause screen.

3) If you leave Pikmin behind, are they auto-eaten after a certain interval even if there are no fauna nearby to eat them in the game world? Or are they safe in certain enemy-free spots when left alone for however long? At least once I thought I left them somewhere safe but I suppose it must have had some enemy nearby as others I'd left seemed safe for much longer.

I wonder if enemies respawn eventually and that's what's eating them, but perhaps it's just enemies further on the map when I leave the Pikmin behind that are then walking left and encountering them. Maybe some enemies track Pikmin when nearby, too.

I think it only really becomes apparent /informally tells you when you achieve it. It kind of points put what you did at the result screen then you get your gold thing. I've only got one left so far :(

Played a bunch today, what a wonderful chill game, really nice for winding down and relaxing with. All the visuals and sound effects feel very authentic. I actually grabbed the new theme to go with my new 2ds, give it full fresh coat of paint kind of thing and I love that every time I open the console, I get Olimar's "Hey!". The log entries are absolutely hilarious. I spent ages scanning in my compatible Amiibo just to see what their files say. The title for Lottie is brilliant.

Thanks for the info! I've gotten it on a couple levels so far but I must not have noticed that it tells you you got all 20 and you escaped with them successfully. I thought it was just denoting that I got the ones I had to the finish line, not that I needed to collect all in a level or that the levels contained exactly 20 - so I really appreciate the clarification from you and others.

(BTW, what did you mean by "only got one left so far?" Wasn't sure I understood this part.)

And, congrats on your new 2DS!

Spent a couple hours going through the first sector. The game is delightful. I really liked the cave music in the second stage. Biggest negative is the framerate. I'm using an original 3DS. How many sectors are there? I'm guessing 4 or 5 like the other games?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I think you can only earn 5 amiibo per day in a sector if you use the Pikmin amiibo to get replicas of ones you don't own, which makes sense since each one gives you 200 sparklings & that's 1,000 per sector.

Though damn, they even included recolorings, like the Splatoon ones & even Silver and Gold Mario.

Game is what I expected : cool game to chill with. I hope they will bring the vignettes thing to the main series, they are so cute and make you care for the Pikmin even more. I was also expecting less variety during the stage, that's a nice surprise.

Also, the Pikmin Amiibo is already sold out in several stores in France. Had to cancel my pre-order since it seemed to be lost in the "currently waiting for the provider" hell. The amiibo situation is pretty ridiculous to be honest. You almost have to be the Holy One to get some of them.

Game's still a lovely delight four worlds in. Really digging the theme for the fourth world.

Also haha omg at the name/description for the
Super Mario Bros. cartridge. Can anyone make out the hiragana on the back in the log? I *think* I see Miyamoto's signature but I'm not sure

So I think you can only earn 5 amiibo per day in a sector if you use the Pikmin amiibo to get replicas of ones you don't own, which makes sense since each one gives you 200 sparklings & that's 1,000 per sector.

Though damn, they even included recolorings, like the Splatoon ones & even Silver and Gold Mario.

Not sure if this is the case for other games as well, but I also found out the Smash amiibo for Mario characters don't register as their respective Mario amiibo series counterparts in the game. I don't have most of those, so it looks like I have some hunting to do..

TheMoon

Not sure if this is the case for other games as well, but I also found out the Smash amiibo for Mario characters don't register as their respective Mario amiibo series counterparts in the game. I don't have most of those, so it looks like I have some hunting to do..

Well if it distinguishes and supports them based on what amiibo (variant) they actually are, then Smash series variants should not be recognized as their Mario series variant.

Well if it distinguishes and supports them based on what amiibo (variant) they actually are, then Smash series variants should not be recognized as their Mario series variant.

I agree but some may not realize that, so I thought I'd point it out.

One of my few complaints early on is how the limited control over your Pikmin makes it easy for Pikmin and enemies to collide, causing you to lose 1-2 Pikmin and requiring you to play the level all over again to perfect it. It's frustrating because it doesn't feel like it's something under your control or your fault. Luckily, the Pikmin Amiibo seems to have been created to directly address this problem, but if you were playing without it, it would be frustrating.

Is there a reward for 3-starring each stage or ending all stages with 20 Pikmin?

(BTW, what did you mean by "only got one left so far?" Wasn't sure I understood this part.)

And, congrats on your new 2DS!

Haha I just meant I had only finished one level with all my Pikmin intact and got the little gold mark, I always manage to goof one somehow

and thanks :) it's so light!

RaidenZR

I agree with you, but it should be said that the Pikmin = Pick Me story that has been going around the internet isn't true. The name comes from "Piki", which was the name given to the characters in a very old prototype of the game. It was then changed due to problems with copyright.

I do miss plucking Pikmin from the ground in Hey! Pikmin though :(. The more I play it, the more I want to go back to Pikmin 1/2/3 (not that Hey! Pikmin is a bad game)

I believe what you said is true (I think I've read that in the past somewhere) but it's clearly something the marketing dept. and development team had a say in. The play on words was intentional, I think it's just a happy convergence of marketing, gameplay and language.

Scrawnton

Okay so I just got got my Pikmin Amiibo and I'm ready to proceed with the second world. I am surprised how much I enjoy this game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I discovered that you can rescan any compatible amiibo & recollect them once per day, so you can pretty much farm for sparklings this way. So since I have 11 amiibo that work, that means each day, I can earn 2,200 sparklings from amiibo.

....I would imagine if you happen to own all the compatible amiibo, that's 40 amiibo you could scan each day, earning a whopping 8,000 per day. I don't think it would BREAK the game, as the main rewards are more health & longer jetpack time, but I'm already at the 26k mark, yet only on the 2nd stage of sector 4.

Just beat sector 4. The framerate is quite bothersome, but I really do dig this game overall. What was with reviews saying this is a short game? Unless this is the last world the game is easily longer than Pikmin 1 & 3's campaigns. And judging by the amount of empty spaces in the enemy and treasure logs, the game doesn't seem like it's going to end anytime soon.

Yes Boss!

I discovered that you can rescan any compatible amiibo & recollect them once per day, so you can pretty much farm for sparklings this way. So since I have 11 amiibo that work, that means each day, I can earn 2,200 sparklings from amiibo.

....I would imagine if you happen to own all the compatible amiibo, that's 40 amiibo you could scan each day, earning a whopping 8,000 per day. I don't think it would BREAK the game, as the main rewards are more health & longer jetpack time, but I'm already at the 26k mark, yet only on the 2nd stage of sector 4.

Just play the game through the worlds and you will get to 30k no problem. No need to farm. It is paced.

TheMoon

Really enjoying the secret exits and "get through unscathed" challenge.

I just wish they had built out the Pikmin Park feature more into some deeper meta-strategy layer maybe that could harken back to the series' roots.

maxcriden

Ok, 1-C is driving me crazy. There is probably a simple solution but:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/297dzuvtXivorYry2

There is a platform above me and a ledge to my right. I throw the Pikmin up there but they come back to me. I take my Jetpack up and go in the hole and there are some mushrooms to bounce on but I can't seem to get there as Olimar and then my Pikmin get eaten. How do I get the Pikmin in there or get the treasure?

Thank you!

TheMoon

Ok, 1-C is driving me crazy. There is probably a simple solution but:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/297dzuvtXivorYry2

There is a platform above me and a ledge to my right. I throw the Pikmin up there but they come back to me. I take my Jetpack up and go in the hole and there are some mushrooms to bounce on but I can't seem to get there as Olimar and then my Pikmin get eaten. How do I get the Pikmin in there or get the treasure?

Thank you!

I just did this like an hour ago. :D

Baffled me the same way ...until I realized you just need your jetpack. You don't need the Pikmin. You probably jet-packed from the wrong height.

maxcriden

Baffled me the same way ...until I realized you just need your jetpack. You don't need the Pikmin. You probably jet-packed from the wrong height.

Yep I had tried it with my jetpack to no avail and then tried again just now before seeing your post and got it to work. Thank you though! What had happened was actually in the cave itself the mushrooms weren't getting me to a sufficient height but somehow it worked this time. (and then my Pikmin got eaten by the Chickaborb. ;___; Restarting the level for the zillionth time to create another wormhole so I can prevent the lil guys from ever having been eaten...!)

Edit: cue several muttered expletives as I make it to the third Chickaborb again and despite hitting him from the back like the second one in the level, and just as quickly, he still eats several Pikmin. It takes like 6-7 mins to get back to that point so it is pretty disheartening.

Edit 2: this is too traumatic. I tried again. The second Chickaborb ate my Pikmin this time. I am sure I am hitting him fast and furiously in the back each time. Maybe it's a framerate luck/unluck issue.

Edit 3: I beat the level with all 20 Pikmin! Yay. It seems like I have better luck defeating the Chickaborb by hitting his hair rather than his back.

maxcriden

tumblr_na9rb4OWfP1szx1oxo1_400.gif

Wake up Pikmin fans of GAF! You're missing something special here.

TheMoon

Yep I had tried it with my jetpack to no avail and then tried again just now before seeing your post and got it to work. Thank you though! What had happened was actually in the cave itself the mushrooms weren't getting me to a sufficient height but somehow it worked this time. (and then my Pikmin got eaten by the Chickaborb. ;___; Restarting the level for the zillionth time to create another wormhole so I can prevent the lil guys from ever having been eaten...!)

Edit: cue several muttered expletives as I make it to the third Chickaborb again and despite hitting him from the back like the second one in the level, and just as quickly, he still eats several Pikmin. It takes like 6-7 mins to get back to that point so it is pretty disheartening.

Edit 2: this is too traumatic. I tried again. The second Chickaborb ate my Pikmin this time. I am sure I am hitting him fast and furiously in the back each time. Maybe it's a framerate luck/unluck issue.

Edit 3: I beat the level with all 20 Pikmin! Yay. It seems like I have better luck defeating the Chickaborb by hitting his hair rather than his back.

Blow the whistle to make your Pikmin come back to you (and safety) faster. The can be kinda slow on the uptake that someone's about to go all munchy mcmunchface on their little butts. Also, make sure to retreat and wait until the ~borb turns around so you get safe, free hits. And just spam spam spam. Sometimes you have to wake them up first, so just throw ONE and whistle immediately so they are back with you once the enemy wakes up fully.

Feffe

Yeah, you often need to use the jetpack to get some items. It's an interesting ganeplay mechanic because for once the focus isn't on the Pikmin. You need to think outside the box, so to speak. I'd like to see that in a main game, maybe changing the the camera to a classic rear 3rd person view during some Olimar-only sections.

maxcriden

Blow the whistle to make your Pikmin come back to you (and safety) faster. The can be kinda slow on the uptake that someone's about to go all munchy mcmunchface on their little butts. Also, make sure to retreat and wait until the ~borb turns around so you get safe, free hits. And just spam spam spam. Sometimes you have to wake them up first, so just throw ONE and whistle immediately so they are back with you once the enemy wakes up fully.

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely try those out. I'm finding the Pikmin really aren't as responsive to the whistle as I'd thought, or maybe my reflexes are lesser than I think. Maybe I'm just not whistling soon enough though. I've been waiting till the ~borb turns but it seems to immediately spin back around and get to gobbling ;___: For some reason I had better luck attacking the hair whilst it faced me. I couldn't seem to get down the strategy of attacking from behind. I gotta work on that I suppose. The timing seems really tricky. I genuinely wonder if any of this comes down to framepacing. But perhaps my lackluster skills are just showing, heh. Either way, very much enjoying the game. It's an absolute treat.

TheMoon

Random note: the music in 2-B is absolutely Wise-tastic. Wonderful stuff.

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely try those out. I'm finding the Pikmin really aren't as responsive to the whistle as I'd thought, or maybe my reflexes are lesser than I think. Maybe I'm just not whistling soon enough though. I've been waiting till the ~borb turns but it seems to immediately spin back around and get to gobbling ;___: For some reason I had better luck attacking the hair whilst it faced me. I couldn't seem to get down the strategy of attacking from behind. I gotta work on that I suppose. The timing seems really tricky. I genuinely wonder if any of this comes down to framepacing. But perhaps my lackluster skills are just showing, heh. Either way, very much enjoying the game. It's an absolute treat.

Do you just throw the Pikmin AT its back - literally the left or right side of its body opposite the face - or are you throwing them ON its back? Because throwing them ONTO the back (higher/steeper throwing arc) will make them actually do continuous bounce attacks until the enemy in question shakes them off again (like in the console games normally).

The whistle has this tiny delay that the console Pikmins don't have where the whistle is instantaneous as soon as you press the whistle button. Take that into account!

Can we all agree the "bouncing on top of an enemy" thing is simultaneously the most adorable/horrifying thing ever?

Regardless, I love it. And the game. Hoping to beat it by tomorrow morning.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I haven't had enough time to play this game, but I really enjoyed what I've played so far. I did most of the first world. As someone who is a big detractor of Artoon/Arzest and didn't enjoy YIDS or YNI, I'm actually kinda loving the vibe of this game. For whatever reason, I've always kind of wanted a 2D Pikmin game that'd play something like this. It just genuinely FEELS like Pikmin, it nails a lot of what the mainline games do. It's a relaxing little game and the writing is pretty quality, feels very true to form for the series. Looking forward to playing some more of it when I have more time.

Just beat Sector 5. The Flying Pikmin were used in a lot of unique ways that I hope carry over for Pikmin 4. The music and level design were really nice in this sector as well. I wish the boss battles were a bit more involved though.

Top Bottom