• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey! Pikmin |OT| Hey! Listen! Now you can hear Pikmin dying wherever you go!

It's Pikmin day!

quI8lTy.jpg

maxcriden

tumblr_m55lugZL3v1qb1m9to1_400.gif

Do you just throw the Pikmin AT its back - literally the left or right side of its body opposite the face - or are you throwing them ON its back? Because throwing them ONTO the back (higher/steeper throwing arc) will make them actually do continuous bounce attacks until the enemy in question shakes them off again (like in the console games normally).

The whistle has this tiny delay that the console Pikmins don't have where the whistle is instantaneous as soon as you press the whistle button. Take that into account!

Thanks amigo! Are we referring to the same thing as the Chickaborb's back? Maybe I'm not throwing it to the right place. When I throw it at his hair they do the bounce attack. At his lower back they don't, they just run and hit it. Maybe the upper back is where they'll also bounce?

I'll take that into account regarding the whistle, and I've noticed holding down the stylus gives me the reticule to get ready in advance rather than merely tapping.

And in answer to an earlier question I asked in the thread, in reading the manual I've learned that Pikmin will perish no matter what if left alone for certain intervals of time (that generally seem to be very brief).

I beat 1-D, though, with the Gold. Yay!! Your advice has been super helpful as always. Thanks again.

I'm just worried that Nintendo will ban my 3DS and I refuse to pirate ._.

hm?

buy game card, put in 3DS, play game.

Yes. Don't pirate the game. Just buy it.

maxcriden

Ok! I beat the first boss. Yay. Took a few tries to understand the strategy as I figured
walking underneath him, I'd get crushed.
Fun battle, though.

In World 1:

1-A through 1-E
Secret Spot 1
Sparklium Springs
1-X

Are those all of the levels?

TheMoon

Ok! I beat the first boss. Yay. Took a few tries to understand the strategy as I figured
Fun battle, though.

In World 1:

1-A through 1-E
Secret Spot 1
Sparklium Springs
1-X

It seems there is only one secret level per world.

You can tell you got everything if you have the gold thingy for not losing any Pikmin on the sector screen.

maxcriden

It seems there is only one secret level per world.

You can tell you got everything if you have the gold thingy for not losing any Pikmin on the sector screen.

Ooh, neat. Thank you. Will check after 1-X. Assuming I can beat 1-X w/o losing Pikmin. I was kinda sad to see "end expedition" resulted in taking the Pikmin I had with me (when I was checking 1-D for a secret exit).
This means the loss of a single Pikmin in that run is now canon in my game. :'(

On world 5 now : this game is good, charming and creative, with a fitting and great soundtrack. I also like the enemy creativity and designs (the tall pink bird especially). The 5/10 reviews from some website are weird, it is as if this game didn't even get a chance...

Going to pick up my Pikmin amiibo in a bit.... Tempted to download this later as well. Glad to see positive impressions in here.

Mcdohl

Just beat Sector 5. The Flying Pikmin were used in a lot of unique ways that I hope carry over for Pikmin 4. The music and level design were really nice in this sector as well. I wish the boss battles were a bit more involved though.

How many sectors are there?

How many sectors are there?

Not sure. The game is easily longer than Pikmin 1 or 3's campaign though.

Fun battle, though.

In World 1:

1-A through 1-E
Secret Spot 1
Sparklium Springs
1-X

I'm through Sector 5 and there have been two secret spots per sector for me.

Happy to see all of the positive buzz. Replay value sounds okay as well. Really interested in checking this out; I liked the demo enough.

Beat it! I'm writing a review that'll be up by tomorrow, but overall, I'm quite satisfied with it and recommend it to any Pikmin fan.

BTW, for anyone who was turned off by Yoshi's New Island due to the music, this has a completely new sound team: Masato Kouda and Kento Hasegawa were the composers this time around, and there were quite a number of supervisors this time around, including series composer Hajime Wakai (MobyGames has the credits here)

Speaking as a huge Pikmin fan, I was honestly surprised at how much it sounded like the original series. Off the top of my head, I think the Title Theme, the World 4 theme and most of the map themes are my favorites.

BTW, for anyone who was turned off by Yoshi's New Island due to the music, this has a completely new sound team: Masato Kouda and Kento Hasegawa were the composers this time around, and there were quite a number of supervisors this time around, including series composer Hajime Wakai (MobyGames has the credits here)

The music is very good at times, at least as good as the main games if not better.

The
Sparklium place wasn't one of them in W1? Which level leads to the second spot in W1 then? X
maybe? That's the only one I haven't played. Thanks!

You are correct.

Loving the area with rain drops ! Also the winged Pikmin are way too cute and have some interesting mechanics like being able to let Olimar fly a bit. A lot of time, I'm thinking to myself "I hope this idea will carry on to the main series". Great stuff. Only complaint so far is the area feel a bit too short but I know there are a lot of hidden secrets.

TheMoon

Loving the area with rain drops ! Also the winged Pikmin are way too cute [...]

This goes to a point I've been noticing a lot these last few days: it's like this game is actively trying to make the Pikmin themselves endearing to the player. I feel like that is what these little skits are there for. When they are mesmerized by a butterfly, are stuck in a firecracker-thing, adapt what feels like a Laurel and Hardy sketch from the 19beforeanyofuswereborns where they jump behind a thing and one jumping in from the right kicks out the one on the far left who jumps back only to push out the far-right one again, and so on.

What I remember from Pikmin 3 is that we never really spent time "up-close" with the Pikmin in that game after their brief introductory scene. I truly think they want to create a stronger appreciation by building a relationship between players and the Pikmin over players and Olimar/the protagonist.

maxcriden

You are correct.

Gotcha, thank you.

This goes to a point I've been noticing a lot these last few days: it's like this game is actively trying to make the Pikmin themselves endearing to the player. I feel like that is what these little skits are there for. When they are mesmerized by a butterfly, are stuck in a firecracker-thing, adapt what feels like a Laurel and Hardy sketch from the 19beforeanyofuswereborns where they jump behind a thing and one jumping in from the right kicks out the one on the far left who jumps back only to push out the far-right one again, and so on.

What I remember from Pikmin 3 is that we never really spent time "up-close" with the Pikmin in that game after their brief introductory scene. I truly think they want to create a stronger appreciation by building a relationship between players and the Pikmin over players and Olimar/the protagonist.

I totally agree. Well said. I think it's a great touch and helps to differentiate his Pikmin game as more about the Pikmin themselves in a new sort of way. That being said, as a result of the increased bond with the Pikmin, I feel even worse about letting a single Pikmin perish.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I feel like I'm missing out on a lot by not using Amiibo.
Are the actual courses/levels unique? I hate that I'd need to buy something or multiple things to unlock them.

Chazbc24

Neo Member
Are the actual courses/levels unique? I hate that I'd need to buy something or multiple things to unlock them.
The only thing you'll be missing are the data logs for the amiibo. Everything else the amiibo offers is really useless, actually.

TheMoon

it's a room. amiibo behind an obstacle at the top. they're over in 20-30 seconds.

you're not missing anything as usual.

Well said ! The influence from the movie is really obvious too. I think that's the way to go with Pikmin, make the little critters a strong selling point. I hope they will have the same approach for 4.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The only thing you'll be missing are the data logs for the amiibo. Everything else the amiibo offers is really useless, actually.

it's a room. amiibo behind an obstacle at the top. they're over in 20-30 seconds.

you're not missing anything as usual.

Appreciate the responses.
I do like reading the amusing logs, but I suppose I can live without.

Game is nice and relaxing.

TheMoon

Well said ! The influence from the movie is really obvious too. I think that's the way to go with Pikmin, make the little critters a strong selling point. I hope they will have the same approach for 4.

I believe this is done specifically in preparation for P4, making the broad 3DS audience who potentially buys this care/fall in love with the little Pikmin themselves. A very very very mild Rabbid/Minionifying (it hurts to type this).

maxcriden

Appreciate the responses.
I do like reading the amusing logs, but I suppose I can live without.

Game is nice and relaxing.

I believe they're being compiled online, noted ITT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1412631 :)

I believe this is done specifically in preparation for P4, making the broad 3DS audience who potentially buys this care/fall in love with the little Pikmin themselves. A very very very mild Rabbid/Minionifying (it hurts to type this).

hqdefault.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Screw getting the "no pikmin killed" badge on 5-C, probably the stage I had to restart the most on, mainly because of the damn final part of the stage. It's made even worse when I pretty much never get hurt myself & the rest of the stage is doable, but then NOPE, time to replay the entire damn stage again because there was an enemy RIGHT NEAR THE GOAL that kills a pikmin or 5.

maxcriden

Screw getting the "no pikmin killed" badge on 5-C, probably the stage I had to restart the most on, mainly because of the damn final part of the stage. It's made even worse when I pretty much never get hurt myself & the rest of the stage is doable, but then NOPE, time to replay the entire damn stage again because there was an enemy RIGHT NEAR THE GOAL that kills a pikmin or 5.

That sounds terrifying. Like I'm already struggling in W1 to get these badges. This is gonna take forever. :D
(<- masochistic grin)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The main issues are
the raindrops will push you a good amount back, the annoying enemy that hovers above & will land on top, & then at the very end, the rain is even worse combined with more of the hovering enemies AND a giant frog-like creature blocking the goal.

I think I'm on the final sector now, just got everything cleaned up in the Pikmin park, wonder what'll happen if I have 1,000 pikmin & scan the amiibo.

TheMoon

In general, I think the game brings fond memories of those great games designed specifically for the DS and who mostly dispared during the 3DS era.

it really bugs me that everyone seemingly was too obsessed with Arzest's name being attached to this that this is such a low-key release right now in these circles, slowly fighting for any kind of appreciation.

it really bugs me that everyone seemingly was too obsessed with Arzest's name being attached to this that this is such a low-key release right now in these circles, slowly fighting for any kind of appreciation.

I have to admit, I was concerned too about Arzest, but now that I own the game I must say it's really great and my fears have been laid to rest.

TheMoon

I have to admit, I was concerned too about Arzest, but now that I own the game I must say it's really great and my fears have been laid to rest.

I think what they needed was to be unshackled from the Yoshi template. I'm glad Good-Feel seems to have a strong handle on that now (though I'd love them to do other stuff again, too).

I've been enjoying what i've played so far. I think it's important to remember that this is a very different kind of Pikmin experience than what the main series offer. Many, reviewers included, seem to have been put off by what the game isn't, rather than focusing on what the game actually is.

I think Hey! Pikmin offers a nice contrast to the main series. This seems to be a more laid back experience and has been my go to chill out game since release. It's nice to just kick back after work and play something this relaxing. Even completing stages while keeping all the Pikmin alive doesn't seem that stressful...at least, not yet.

I was listening to this weeks Easy Allies Frame Trap episode and Bloodworth seemed a little down on the game. He mentioned how he didn't like that you sometimes get cut off from areas and that meant you will miss something and have to do the level again. I don't mind this as it encourages replaying a stage and gives the game some legs. It's no different than something like Kirby, where you may miss a collectible because you don't have the right power up and then have to replay the stage.

Anyway, I just fully finished off the second area of the game last night and i'm looking forward to making my way through the third area this evening.

I think what they needed was to be unshackled from the Yoshi template. I'm glad Good-Feel seems to have a strong handle on that now (though I'd love them to do other stuff again, too).

You're right. Getting their hands on another series is definetely a good thing. I hope this game does well and Arzest gets more recognition.

maxcriden

Anyone else having fond recollections of Kirby Mass Attack, playing this?

Absolutely. That is one of my favorite DS games and is very under-appreciated. That game is packed with challenging and quality content. I hope fans of it check this out, as well as fans of Hey! Pikmin checking out Mass Attack.

The difference between Hey! Pikmin and Arzest's Yoshi efforts is that the former was creating something unique out of an established IP, so I've always been pulling for it. Needless to say, my expectations were met with this spin-off.

In any case, my review is up for those who want to read it.

tumblr_nf06w7yBym1rpymsbo2_r1_500.gif

You can't resist the picture of the cute Pikmin. So I am now unblocked.

i could watch this all day

Anyone else having fond recollections of Kirby Mass Attack, playing this?

I remember playing Mass Attack and going, "man, it would be so cool if we got a Pikmin game like this." So happy it actually happened!

Top Bottom