• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software reveals Gladiator A.D.

Vagabundo

Looks promising. I mean it is still early days yet, lots of room for polish.

How many of the haters own a Wii?

<clap of thunder> WII TROLLS BEGONE. </clap of thunder>

Amir0x

Banned
sprocket said:
looks great as a total game :/

but graphics wise it looks as good as any dark sector , Jericho, the darkness... ect.

Which is far better than expected. Art Direction is always up to opinion.

what da fug

Huh, it seems like they try to put so much little detail in some aspects of the game, that it's just too much for an SD resolution and it turns into a pixelated mess.

I don't know if that even makes any sense... :)

Dascu

Souldriver said:
Huh, it seems like they try to put so much little detail in some aspects of the game, that it's just too much for an SD resolution and it turns into a pixelated mess.

I don't know if that even makes any sense... :)
It looks like a poor HD game trying to run on SD hardware. I appreciate the graphical effects (lots of normal mapping and such) HVS is trying to get in their games, but without a solid art direction to tie it all together, it just looks nasty.

Regardless, they have lots of time to work on this title. Let's hope for the best.

markatisu

Matt at IGN said a better trailer is coming, not sure why HVS did not just wait and show the good one first :lol

With that said this and the Grinder are both set for the end of 2010,so they are at least 18 months off from being finished....given the leaps and bounds The Conduit made from 1st videos to release month this "should" get better.

But I think after these three games they should stop working less with the tech and hire some artists to give them better overall looking games.

Haunted

HYPE HYPE HY-

laserbeam said:

eeeh, I'm not feeling it. I had hoped for a bit more grand arena action (think Shadow of Rome's 10-way battles) instead of that very small-ish one on one fight they've shown. They also need to seriously turn down the sharpness, everything looks like it's been through the Photoshop sharpening filter 3 or 4 times. >_>

Shame because conceptually, I like this one the most out of their three retail projects. (Gladiatoral combat > shooting aliens > shooting monsters)

lordmrw

that second trailer looks much better. I don't know if its the bloom lighting causing it, but something is making the textures all glittery. If they reduce that then I think it would look perfectly fine.

The weird cluttered look isn't entirely the game's fault. The video is wide screen 640 x 360. The vertical resolution gets squished. That's probably what's causing the horrible aliasing issues and making them more noticeable.

The colors are really shitty. I sent an e-mail to High Voltage already, but got a robot reply because they're busy. No doubt with E3 coming and The Conduit nearing release.

Trailer looks smoother, but still not good. Gameplay looks like people just taking swings at one another so far.

I agree with Haunted about the sharpness. soften it out HVS.

Also, didn't they say some shit about there being more to it than just 1 on 1? What happened to that?

Holy shit guys, give these guys a chance. We can't always expect game of the forever from them all the time now can we?

Cow Mengde said:
The colors are really shitty. I sent an e-mail to High Voltage already, but got a robot reply because they're busy. No doubt with E3 coming and The Conduit nearing release.

Really?

What did it say?

That trailer looks a little better, but it still looks weird.

The whole "behind the back, transparent fighter, a handful of moves" thing makes me wonder if this plays like a bloody version of Punch-Out.

Amir0x

Banned
The funniest part of the video... and someone needs to make a gif of it... is when those two gladiators do those little short jabs back and forth. With the choppy animation it looks fucking hilarious

GDGF

Soothsayer
That does look a hell of a lot better, but why is everything so shimmery and orange?

Gladiator armor is fucking ugly. They should have made this some kind of mixed swordplay game. A samurai here, a maori warrior there (guess I've been watching too much Deadliest Warriors)

r21few.jpg

gladiatorlolz.gif

Woffls

Screw the visuals, we all know this one's about MotionPlus and slicin dude's heads off... right? I hope so =\

bdouble

Haunted said:
I had hoped for a bit more grand arena action (think Shadow of Rome's 10-way battles) instead of that very small-ish one on one fight they've shown.
That was made perfectly clear in the first interview. They likened it to Bushido Blade and Fight Night.

New gameplay looks a bit better. :lol The game is already improving. One thing that HVS doesn't have is a publicist. They don't know when or what to put in their trailers.

The last had absolutely no animation reaction whent hey were hit. They didn't move at all and just stood there taking blows at one another. This one seems a bit more organic and at least they had more animation. I don't get why they showed it though. Release some screen shot and announce it. Then wait a while till you get closer to the final build. Show it behind closed doors. People will take this first impression and carry it forever.

Nicktals

Banned
Woffls said:
Screw the visuals, we all know this one's about MotionPlus and slicin dude's heads off... right? I hope so =\

Except it's not primarily controlled by motion plus. Small tweaks to attacks with M+, but primarily designed for just Wii Remote, and nothing near 1:1.

Total pass unless they go towards 1:1.

pakkit

Banned
I do like the trailer better. They need to work on the transitory animations to make it look more fluid. The stagnation reminds me of early last generation games, where the visuals are better than the animation, and create a kind of weird (and humorous) game-space where you have high quality cardboard characters. I can't tell if this game looks good visually yet, hopefully it's (as someone said earlier) the compression and screens, and it looks much better at E3. We'll see, but I am more hopeful after that video.

pakkit said:
I do like the trailer better. They need to work on the transitory animations to make it look more fluid. The stagnation reminds me of early last generation games, where the visuals are better than the animation .
The bolded is still here today . . . that is something that hasn't changed. >_>

Anyway, the vid looks abit better but the only good thing I see in it is black-girl-under-boob (and crack shots). Still looks like shitty robots animation wise and there MUST be something wrong with the graphics cause everything has this odd jitter look. Hurt my eyes! Art style needs a fucking change (even if its only to make the textures more colorful and different . . . fucking eyes hurt!).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Also, with everyone being a Gladiator, everyone looks the same. I guess I need a bit of variety in my fighters. There's too much strong guy in armor one VS strong guy in armor two for me I guess.

Haunted

bdouble said:
That was made perfectly clear in the first interview. They likened it to Bushido Blade and Fight Night.
True, but they also talked about lions and other environmental hazards and somesuch, which I associated with bigger arenas and battles.

edit: oh shi- didn't even realize the second trailer was out - I liked that one much more than the first one.

GDGF said:
Also, with everyone being a Gladiator, everyone looks the same. I guess I need a bit of variety in my fighters. There's too much strong guy in armor one VS strong guy in armor two for me I guess.
There was a nimble, dark-skinned exotic fighter doing somersaults and shit in the second trailer, though.

Shiggie

GDGF said:
I saw a lady...

bdouble

man that gif is good. Umm yeah they just have no idea how to reveal a game. I'm sure those environmental things will be there. They probably just aren't in the game yet. Hell that trailer is so cut up its ridiculous. The first one even more so. All it shows is basically what the gif is. Just single attacks. What the hell happens in between those? I mean are glued in one place?

You can praise these guys all you want but what the hell are they thinking showing these games so early? I can understand The Conduit and its situation with no publisher but its different now. Showing a game publicly this early is just a no no. Release some screen shots to tease a bit and maybe a interview. Don't spill your guts about it.

Haunted

bdouble said:
man that gif is good. Umm yeah they just have no idea how to reveal a game. I'm sure those environmental things will be there. They probably just aren't in the game yet. Hell that trailer is so cut up its ridiculous. The first one even more so. All it shows is basically what the gif is. Just single attacks. What the hell happens in between those? I mean are glued in one place?

You can praise these guys all you want but what the hell are they thinking showing these games so early? I can understand The Conduit and its situation with no publisher but its different now. Showing a game publicly this early is just a no no. Release some screen shots to tease a bit and maybe a interview. Don't spill your guts about it.
What High Voltage has:

- tech people
- awesome game concepts
- organised structure (they are getting shit done)

what high Voltage needs:

- a publicist
- new art directors
- someone who isn't colourblind (what is up with all that orange?)

markatisu

GDGF said:

Yeah that was one of the best things about movies like Gladiator is the variation. They could really put some nice masks and armor in this game.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Shiggie said:
I saw a lady...

Yeah, just the one!

I know it's early and all. I just hope they add more variety before the end :)

It pays to be a squeaky wheel in HVS threads, since they actually listen to their fans.

Shiggie

GDGF said:
Yeah, just the one!

I know it's early and all. I just hope they add more variety before the end :)

It pays to be a squeaky wheel in HVS threads, since they actually listen to their fans.
Youre right about that but, Its just a trailer, Its not going to show everything.

Anony

the trailer is loads better

the transitioning animations are terrible, needs more work

looks good, but the aliasing and the shine stands out too much

if the wii and pull of any AA at all, it would have been a godsend, upscales would look so much better

bdouble

I can't get over it. Why the fuck did they show all this? Seriously. Why not just do the interview. Tell us the game exists and put it up on IGN with concept art and maybe maybe a screen shot or two. Yes The Conduit improved every time we saw it but we do not need to see that HVS for every game you have. I just hope to god you don't show The Grinder when it is more than 12 months away.

Haunted you hit it. They get shit done, they have an engine which is more than capable, lots of ideas but have no idea how to put it together and actually market it. Shit they can message me here and ask for advice my incomplete experience at business school and enthusiasm for games couldn't hurt them any more than they are doing now. Set them up on a few podcast appearances and just do the interview. I would think they have a good story. Going from "shovelware" to "savior of the Wii". Get the community involved but don't show your hand at the first sign of acceptance. Hell do some viral. All I know is this is not how to do it. People weigh too much on first impressions and this will leave a sour taste in the mouths of all but the most open minded gamers all the way up till release.

\/\/I would not put it past them. I mean come on. AHH!! its sort of frustrating. I didn't even mention that The Conduit isn't even out yet. All their resources right now should be on The Conduit. Why hype your next game when the first isn't even out yet.

markatisu

bdouble said:
I can't get over it. Why the fuck did they show all this? Seriously. Why not just do the interview. Tell us the game exists and put it up on IGN with concept art and maybe maybe a screen shot or two. Yes The Conduit improved every time we saw it but we do not need to see that HVS for every game you have. I just hope to god you don't show The Grinder when it is more than 12 months away.

Now watch we will see a Grinder trailer, and it be even less complete then this next week at E3 :lol

Top Bottom