• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software reveals Gladiator A.D.

Linkhero1

Graphics look way better in those gametrailer videos. I'm kinda disappointed that it's not free roaming and I don't really like the gameplay.

nightside

ummm...I expected a "gladiator simulator" more than a 3D fighting game...Right now, as a fighting games seems a little poor (few moves, no combos, lack of movement)...t looks like a punch out with blood and leonida

Uh, heh heh, remember the complaints about the game looking dull, brown, whatever? GONE!

vy5n6d.jpg

21c8dy0.jpg

xkvfo6.jpg

dnyqlt.jpg

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=21101

SEGA CHALLENGES Wii GAMERS TO ENTER THE TOURNAMENT OF LEGENDS™

Become a Legend in Epic Weapon & Magic Duels

SAN FRANCISCO (February 3rd, 2010)
– SEGA® of America, Inc. is excited to announce a new project in partnership with developer High Voltage Software - Tournament of Legends™. Exclusive for Wii™, Tournament of Legends is a weapon and magic based 3D-fight game featuring some of the biggest playable characters on Wii. Each fighter is based on a legend from world mythology: the Minotaur, a powerful Gladiator, Gorgon, Stone Golem, Valkyrie and other well-known and powerful characters. The game is scheduled for release on May 18th, 2010.

Tournament of Legends features epic battles in fantastic fighting arenas where they will wield mythical blade weapons, launch 40 magic attacks, and dodge giant mythological creatures that protect the battle lairs. In intense one and two-player fights, players master a range of character and weapon based magic attacks; including unleashing, amongst others, a man-eating lion, Jupiter’s Storm, Thor’s Fury and a nest of venomous snakes.

Tournament of Legends strives to offer even the most sophisticated Wii gamer a rich weapon fighting experience. Players will be able to switch weapons and enchantments with other characters or compete in various Wii Remote™/Nunchuk™ controller challenges which include dodging giant mythological creatures or restoring health and armor during fights. The game also features an Interactive Training mode and supports the Classic Controller™.

Tournament of Legends cinematic effects and graphics are fueled by the High Voltage Software Quantum 3 engine, designed and optimized for Wii. Large, 3D mythological fighters move fluidly. Fighting arenas, characters, and magical attacks are polished by advanced real-time lighting, blended animation, cinematic color curves, and more. And the fighters’ mythic journeys are told through beautifully hand drawn in-game cinematics.

“Tournament of Legends is a perfect Wii game” said Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President of Marketing at SEGA of America. “High Voltage are delivering yet another fantastic looking game and their roster of gods, demons and warriors is unlike any other brawler out there. I can imagine that fathers and sons will be using a quick fight on Tournament of Legends as the ultimate tie-breaker in family disputes!”

"With Tournament of Legends, we want to take the Wii weapon-based fighting to a bigger place. Along with a wide selection of blade weapons and animated magic attacks we’ve achieved rich graphical effects and detailed, epic characters with the Quantum 3 engine. The mythological characters are some of the biggest 3D playable characters on Wii.” said Eric Nofsinger, COO of High Voltage Software.

Tournament of Legends is set to release on May 18th, 2010 exclusively for Wii.

GWX

Well, looks better than before, but not by much.

EDIT: And I thought SEGA was done with "hardcore" games on the Wii. Heh.

I do like the sorta Soul Calibur look they used, I honestly found the gore with the brown look far too depressing, now it might be so bad. :p

Somnid said:
What is wrong with you? Why are you posting it in this old ass thread? Make a new one.

Should I?

Dascu

Hey, it's Sega again. Didn't expect that after the The Conduit "bomba".

Edit: Oh wow.
“Tournament of Legends is a perfect Wii game” said Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President of Marketing at SEGA of America. “High Voltage are delivering yet another fantastic looking game and their roster of gods, demons and warriors is unlike any other brawler out there. I can imagine that fathers and sons will be using a quick fight on Tournament of Legends as the ultimate tie-breaker in family disputes!”
:lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This got a publisher and its Sega again?

Color me double surprised

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, I'm surprised that Sega's still publishing their games, what with their recent comments regarding the Wii. Game's certainly looking better, and I'm a little surprised that it's only a few months away. Curious to see how it plays.

Somnid

Hero of Legend said:
I do like the sorta Soul Calibur look they used, I honestly found the gore with the brown look far too depressing, now it might be so bad. :p

Should I?

Yes. New threads are for new info. It's irratating to horde info in mega threads and this is fairly substantial new info since it's a new title, images and publisher info.

Mejilan said:
Wow, I'm surprised that Sega's still publishing their games, what with their recent comments regarding the Wii. Game's certainly looking better, and I'm a little surprised that it's only a few months away. Curious to see how it plays.

Correction, the comment by Constantine Hantzopoulos, IIRC he's not the one calling the shots, that would be Mike Hayes who's the boss of Sega West (US and EU).

markatisu

This proves once again the High Voltage should really just shelf their games to the public until they are further along.

The Conduit improved greatly (regardless of opinion on art design) and now this one has improved greatly from 1st showing. I imagine whenever we see The Grinder again it will have the same leap over the reveal.

Really like the 2nd shot though, vibrant and very reminiscent of Soul Calibur

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Now that there's no MotionPlus support any more, I'm even less interested in the game. And it's still an aesthetic mess. It reminds me of all those poor gladiator/barbarian-themed fighting games we used to get, such as Warlords on the SNES (I think that's what it's called).

I want HVS to make something good and then become successful, I really want them to, but they won't with that kind of game.

Vinci

Danish
GWX said:
EDIT: And I thought SEGA was done with "hardcore" games on the Wii. Heh.

I can imagine that fathers and sons will be using a quick fight on Tournament of Legends as the ultimate tie-breaker in family disputes!

What makes you think 'hardcore' when you look at that press release? And yeah, this game is still ugly. Hire some new artists, guys. Lots of folks are out of work.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Bugbite said:
I guess High Voltage hired some new artists.
Fixed :p

SEGA said:
I can imagine that fathers and sons will be using a quick fight on Tournament of Legends as the ultimate tie-breaker in family disputes!
Yeah, this is exactly the type of game a family would play together.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
V_Ben said:
but of course. grandma's going down!
Grandma is busy playing Silent Hill. Or at least she would be if Konami advertised the damn game in the US and/or bothered to release it in Europe :/

V_Ben

Banned
Jocchan said:
Grandma is busy playing Silent Hill. Or at least she would be if Konami advertised the damn game in the US and/or bothered to release it in Europe :/

or that Ju-On game. that games' box art screamed "family friendly".

GWX

Vinci said:
What makes you think 'hardcore' when you look at that press release? And yeah, this game is still ugly. Hire some new artists, guys. Lots of folks are out of work.

Well, it once was a hardcore-focused game, with loads of blood in a sepia-toned arena.
But yeah, at least the public that they're focusing now is bigger, maybe it has some chance of success now. It weird, but SEGA's hardcore offerings has been too mature.

gogojira

Well, it has color now. Too bad the authenticity of it will be absent now that HVS has undoubtedly stripped the blood from it (plus, minotaurs are sort of not real, too). Ah well, maybe HVS will do good things with The Grinder. Maybe.

I'd love to be wrong about the violence, but that Sega quote isn't promising.

gogojira said:
Well, it has color now. Too bad the authenticity of it will be absent now that HVS has undoubtedly stripped the blood from it (plus, minotaurs are sort of not real, too). Ah well, maybe HVS will do good things with The Grinder. Maybe.

I'd love to be wrong about the violence, but that Sega quote isn't promising.

I made a new thread for a reason. ;)

Top Bottom