• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software reveals Gladiator A.D.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
IGN: How do you control the game? Please be specific? Are you using Wii MotionPlus for anything?

Kerry: The controls use Wii motions with the Wii remote and nunchuck to initiate an attack. There are six basic attacks: Left, right or overhead, both light and heavy. The player can also block or dodge in any direction.

David: We are taking full advantage of the Wii Remote's motion-sensing capabilities for combat. We are very proud of what we have been able to accomplish using just the Wii Remote. That said though, we are currently incorporating the latest version of the Wii MotionPlus firmware and will support it.

Eric: The Wii MotionPlus will be used to add variance to the attacks to break up what could possibly be seen as mechanical attacks. For example, depending on the orientation of the player's wrist when a left slice is initiated, the gladiator will attack his opponents right side from one of three angles, making it slightly more difficult to perfect block player's using the Wii MotionPlus. We are also looking into other applications for optional game-play with this peripheral.

Damn, doesn't sound like they are even trying to integrate MotionPlus into the game, at least in any intuitive way. Wasted hardware, it will be.

jrricky

Banned
Of All Trades said:
No, posts like these are how these threads die:

It's almost as bad as doomed1 defending Nibris.
O...K.... *read pakkits post above* *reads this post again*...........:lol

OMG, all I see in Ninja Scooters post history is negativity; there is barely any good game discussion to come from him. This alone makes me believe he doesnt have any vested interest in gaming at all and just sit around to shit up gaming threads with 'dog chasing tail' discussions.

pakkit

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
Damn, doesn't sound like they are even trying to integrate MotionPlus into the game, at least in any intuitive way. Wasted hardware, it will be.
They'll be using the motion, that's pretty intuitive. I'm not sure 1:1 motion or even approximate 1:1 motion would be the best if they're going for cinematic camera angles.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Gonna look horrific on a plasma but it's still nice to see the effort put in. The Conduit looks pretty fun though so it has my attention.

pakkit said:
Firstly, HVS. :lol

Secondly, can we stop this stupid argument?

The Conduit got an 8.0 in the most recent Nintendo Power, where they called it the best first-person shooter on the Wii.
You're using an expansion pack as evidence of SHV's development prowess? And an Xbox (near)launch title with scores in the mid-7s?
O...K.... *read pakkits post above* *reads this post again*...........
How did HVB "have their hands in" Baldur's Gate?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jrricky said:
OMG, that looks awful compared to the Gladiator screens.:lol o_O
Red Faction has destructible environments... what does Gladiator has? hmm?... Yeah thought so.

PusherT

The texturing and detail of the character model is insane for a Wii game and it is even crazier that its only 7months into developement. The 2 best picture are the one when the guys is spralled on the ground and the pic with the crazy arms. The detail and textures on the guys pants/metal armor and arms is insane for wii. I also want to see it in motion. I don't think a single game on GC/PS2/Xbox looked better then this technically, the texture are just sick

PusherT said:
The texturing and detail of the character model is insane for a Wii game and it is even crazier that its only 7months into developement. The 2 best picture are the one when the guys is spralled on the ground and the pic with the crazy arms. The detail and textures on the guys pants/metal armor and arms is insane for wii. I also want to see it in motion. I don't think a single game on GC/PS2/Xbox looked better then this technically, the texture are just sick
Nananananananana LIST WARS
NanananananananaLIST WARS
NANANANANANANANA LIST WARS
LIST WARS
LIST WARS
Nananananananana.... LIST WAAAAARS!

pakkit

Banned
Of All Trades said:
You're using an expansion pack as evidence of SHV's development prowess? And an Xbox (near)launch title with scores in the mid-7s?

I wasn't saying that HVS is a great development studio. Obviously they've been pushing around a lot of crappy licenses or doing dirty work for publishers. My point was that the number was arbitrary. So you find that they've made a good game and your argument becomes "Well...they haven't made two." Who gives a fuck? Just because they've been doing crappy licensed games doesn't mean they don't have the ability to step out of that realm. The Conduit is significant for a few reasons, namely it's customizability, it's connectivity, and the developer's willingness to listen to the community at large.

Those are not the marks of a "couldn't give a rat's ass" developer, and it's stupid to just completely ignore it and compare their original home-grown IPs to the ghosts in the graveyard.

PusherT

AltogetherAndrews said:
You know, if anything I'd say that the extra detail accentuates and enhances the ugliness of these screens. It's a very sharp kind of ugly.
Yeah the game is hyper detail for a non HD game and it doesn't help that art isn't at the suprior level the tech is at. It make very sharp detailed crisp look especially being at 480p.

jrricky

Banned
Of All Trades said:
NanananananananaLIST WARS
NANANANANANANANA LIST WARS
LIST WARS
LIST WARS
Nananananananana.... LIST WAAAAARS!
WTF OAT? Did Ninja Scooter tag you in or are you joke posting?:lol :p

pakkit said:
My point was that the number was arbitrary.
It wasn't my point, the point was that responding to someone saying "QVC has not made a good game" with "NUH UH, they have made one good game" is pathetic.

Besides, as someone who played and enjoyed Hunter: The Reckoning on my Xbox, I would not say that SSV has never made a good game. I would say they made one good game (and the kind of game that's good because it's near launch so you're kinda desperate to play anything not terrible).

bdouble

PusherT said:
Yeah the game is hyper detail for a non HD game and it doesn't help that art isn't at the suprior level the tech is at. It make very sharp detailed crisp look especially being at 480p.
This. Needs some post processing or something. Just a certain kind of shader to soften it up and even take out some detail. Seriously if they put black outlines on it and went the whole Borderlands route it would probably look a lot better. Hell then they can really go the graphic novel route.

pakkit

Banned
Of All Trades said:
It wasn't my point, the point was that responding to someone saying "QVC has not made a good game" with "NUH UH, they have made one good game" is pathetic.

Yes, correcting someone is pathetic. My humblest apologies.

jrricky

Banned
pakkit said:
:lol

that was actually quite funny. I am imagining you speaking this out loud in response with a sarcastic voice

pakkit said:
Do you really think he was correcting someone, or trying to defend HGH? It looked like a defense of HGH to me. And the kind of defense that sounds eerily similar to the following:

Normal person: That man is a pedophile.
Fanboy: WRONG! He is actually only a pervert! Showed you!

edit: I have decided that the more appropriate response is to merely quote jrricky, because his favorable (and confusingly spoilered) reaction to your post does more to undermine it than a million pervert game developers.
jrricky said:
that was actually quite funny. I am imagining you speaking this out loud in response with a sarcastic voice

turk128

I hope it's a spiritual successor of the arcade game, Gladiator.

9vce9l.gif

Something like that using M+ would be legit awesome.

PusherT

bdouble said:
This. Needs some post processing or something. Just a certain kind of shader to soften it up and even take out some detail. Seriously if they put black outlines on it and went the whole Borderlands route it would probably look a lot better. Hell then they can really go the graphic novel route.
But then you would be making it "stylized" like every other wii game. The artstyle is weak but it still nail the Realistic approach for mature subject the game has. I love the fact that they are going with realistic graphics on the wii god know the systems need more.

I also think it would be cool if they had lions/bears/boars in the arena chained and set free as "stage hazard". Have the lions/tiger maul your guys for a set amount of damage make it have gory bites with lots of gore spraying when bite on the leg/shoulder/neck/arm. Have the bears and boar tackle and slam. All of this while fighting your oppenent to the death. That would be neat

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The HVS trolling began first page. GAF does not disappoint.

I'll reserve my judgement until I see it in motion, but it doesn't look bad at all, at least technically for a Wii game. HVS' biggest hurdle is clearly the artistry, especially in how they use the technical abilities of their engine to render their worlds. Normal mapping seems a little off, characters are modelled with odd poly counts in certain areas, textures are a mix of great and dull, etc.

But still, it looks pretty good (subject matter aside), and I look forward to seeing it in motion.

pakkit said:
I mean, those are pretty big differences. :lol
People who download loli-hentai are included in the "pervert classification". I have not decided if MMA is a loli-lover or just more of a classic "fondle himself in the park" pervert.
The HVS trolling began first page. GAF does not disappoint.
And post #3 to boot, the trolls are getting faster!

bartris

Neo Member
The music samples they provided were pretty good, I enjoyed Rome, and from memory the music in it was very good...

Im interested to hear more about how you upgrade and the RPG like elements in the game.

Mdk7

I'm definitely liking what i'm seeing here.
Looks and feels much more interesting than The Conduit to me.

I'm not so convinced about Wii MotionPlus support: how come it's just optional?
I mean if they truly take advantage of the device it should NOT be an option, just like Ubisoft is doing with Red Steel 2.

le.phat

the character models certainly look better then most wii games from a technical point of view but still i think this game looks really unapealing at least in these screens.

Looks nice and the concept sounds good but HVS are still unproven as they have yet to release a game that is really good.

Maybe if the game was using Motionplus exclusively, I might have more faith in it.

Haunted

It's a 3-D Gladiator fighting game inspired by the movie 300, described as a mix between Bushido Blade and Fight Night with some RPG elements.
:eek:

I like it. Need to play The Conduit before getting genuinely excited for this one, though. :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Those guys at High Voltage sure are passionate and have a lot of energy.

But I'm already tired of their whole "HARDCORE FOR THE WII" mantra. It only leads to caricatures of games that are destined to bomb.

[EDIT] That said, the Bushido Blade makes me sad. Oh, how I wish Square Enix would make a M+ version of Bushido Blade. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

pakkit said:
I wasn't saying that HVS is a great development studio. Obviously they've been pushing around a lot of crappy licenses or doing dirty work for publishers. My point was that the number was arbitrary. So you find that they've made a good game and your argument becomes "Well...they haven't made two." Who gives a fuck? Just because they've been doing crappy licensed games doesn't mean they don't have the ability to step out of that realm. The Conduit is significant for a few reasons, namely it's customizability, it's connectivity, and the developer's willingness to listen to the community at large.

Those are not the marks of a "couldn't give a rat's ass" developer, and it's stupid to just completely ignore it and compare their original home-grown IPs to the ghosts in the graveyard.

Just give it up its impossible to have serious discussion about a Wii game, especially one that's doing something interesting with its hardware. This game is literally pumping out effects and texturing that are above everything else on the system, that alone should be enough for people to compliment it in some capacity but the HD crazies have such a grip on this board its really not worth the bother.

Never have such a group of "enthusiasts" collectively lacked any sort of consistency and logic to their arguments as this bunch. They'll attack Wii and PC games with equal virility using the argument they're fighting against in one thread to back up their opinion in another. When its fair game to switch your argument on the drop, it just goes beyond being worth any sort of effort. Its beyond pissing me off. Thank fook there's a decent if very small PC community (and cool retro gamers in the VC thread) locked away on these boards or I wouldn't bother anymore.

The biggest complaint I've seen lodged at the game so far outside of it being "generic" (seriously, fuck that term to hell) is that the textures are too detailed. Oh come the fuck on, how transparent do you want to get, I know fine well these pioneers will be shitting up plenty of Wii threads tomorrow because of the blurry textures in other Wii screenshots are. Might as well put a huge bolded disclaimer at the end of the post stating "Hi, I'm a Wii troll", actually, why bother its not as if it can't get any more obvious at this point.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That interview makes the game sound fantastic, I'd have more confidence in the game if it wasn't by HVS and the screens looked better. I don't the sounds of that WM+ implementation either, it sounds like an afterthought.

Aeana:
David: This game is brutally violent, but is not Mortal Kombat. There is no over-the-top spine ripping. Its authentic, not ridiculous. We do have finishers, which can get pretty nasty to watch though.
:p

Amir0x said:
yeah except for the fact that most Gladiator battles never ended in death or heavy wounds. There was "only" a one-in-nine death rate, and there are many many historical references to Gladiators being trained to subdue and not kill.

So. Yeah.

Where are you getting this from? Sounds like bull tbh.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gameplay looks interesting (at least from the few tidbits we've got), screens look sharp, detailed and fugly (not talking about tech here, just art).
They need better art direction and - desperately - better character designers.

Haunted

Action Jackson said:
Where are you getting this from? Sounds like bull tbh.
Eh, afraid he's correct there. Just think about that rationally. Yeah, they had lots of fodder, but properly trained Gladiators weren't cheap to eh... train. It didn't make sense to have them kill each other quickly.

That said, of course there were plenty of deaths (mostly convicted criminals, not trained Gladiators) and also some deathmatches between Gladiators now and then - a
questionable
high point of entertainment back then, which is why you see those deathmatches depicted in movies almost exclusively.

And that said, I loved the over-the-top gore in Shadow of Rome's arena sequences. :D

Haunted said:
Eh, afraid he's correct there. Just think about that rationally. Yeah, they had lots of fodder, but properly trained Gladiators weren't cheap to eh... train. It didn't make sense to have them kill each other quickly.

That said, of course there were plenty of deaths (mostly convicted criminals, not trained Gladiators) and also some deathmatches between Gladiators now and then - a
questionable
high point of entertainment back then, which is why you see those deathmatches depicted in movies almost exclusively.

And that said, I loved the over-the-top gore in Shadow of Rome's arena sequences. :D

Thing is there is hardly any evidence about how many fights an average fighter would survive. Gladiatorial games span over a couple of hundred years, statements like a one-in-nine death rate don't seem very plausible to me. Going by their historical origins getting killed was certainly part of their job description. Sure there may have been some that became famous, made a fortune, got all the ladies and were able to retire, but for most of them, as well trained as they were, being a gladiator meant being killed sooner or later.

GhaleonQ

If High Voltage's stuff actually outsells the intriguing, quirky, high-production value bombs on the Wii, I'm going to...shake my head and whine on NeoGAF.

But, seriously, this generation is infuriating. I guess it remains to see if the gameplay of their stuff is as artless and pandering as the concepts, art direction, and marketing, but I'm worried that the Wii's going to start supporting both kinds of shlock now.

GhaleonQ said:
If High Voltage's stuff actually outsells the intriguing, quirky, high-production value bombs on the Wii, I'm going to...shake my head and whine on NeoGAF.

But, seriously, this generation is infuriating. I guess it remains to see if the gameplay of their stuff is as artless and pandering as the concepts, art direction, and marketing, but I'm worried that the Wii's going to start supporting both kinds of shlock now.

What High Production games? Aside from Nintendo themsleves, most publishers have put D level teams on crap projects for the system.

bartris

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
What High Production games? Aside from Nintendo themsleves, most publishers have put D level teams on crap projects for the system.

Stuff like House of the Dead, Little Kings Story and Madworld "could" have sold better if they were not so niche.

No Third party developer or publisher has put this much effort into games that have as wide an appeal as something like The Conduit though, that is correct.

Dascu

High Voltage? 1 on 1 fighter?

Gah, hype deflated.

Edit: Well, to be frank, I'd love a good Gladiator fighting game. I just need some more info on the battle engine. Is this supposed to be a fighter like, say, Soul Calibur?

Oh, and the graphics look fairly good, tech-wise at least. Don't really get the complaints.

Top Bottom