• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton is ready to join the resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that I dislike her; I happily voted for her, & would've done so even if she was against an innocuous opponent. It's just that GAF's one of the few places where I see an overwhelming abundance of support for her, especially if we're counting real life (Weren't we, like, one of the Top 10 pro-Clinton sites during the election? Even including her own sites?). Elsewhere, it's maybe 1 or 2 impassioned supporters with the rest just being modest respect.

Plus, regardless of what you guys believe, she's definitely been painted as "the establishment" to both the far left & the on-the-fence conservative, who are the people who need to be involved the most. I'm glad she's getting involved, but I definitely don't see her as a good fit for the front lines. Test Of Tide has it best with her being perfect for fundraising, but rallies would be better suited for someone like Warren or (Dare I say it) Sanders.

Well it's a good thing this story about Howard Dean talking about a fundraising initiative that he's working on with Hillary has fuck all to do with the front lines and is about funding groups like say maybe anti-gerrymandering activists to fight the good fight.

royalan

Do you know how many conversations I've had with women where I'm Pro-Hillary and women are Anti-Hillary? Where I talk about what she believes in and would help them immeasurably in comparison to Trump and they still don't trust her?

It's baffling and upsetting. I don't like it at all. She makes people angry and irrational. That's not what this country needs right now. And it's absolutely misogyny in this country. But conservatives and moderate democrats rally against her. We can't have that. Seriously, we're on the cusp of getting moderate Republicans against Trump and she comes out of the fucking woodwork talking about the election again. IT'S FUCKING OVER. WE'RE ON THE BRINK OF PASSING AN AWFUL HEALTHCARE BILL, GOING INTO TRADE WARS AND POSSIBLY STARTING A NEW CONFLICT OVERSEAS. ALL EYES SHOULD BE ON HOW TRUMP IS FUCKING UP. THE ONE THING HE CAN ARGUABLY HANG HIS HAT ON IS HE BEAT HER AND HERE SHE COMES AGAIN. FUCK ME.

If you think the GOP needed Hillary Clinton to create a boogieman to rally their base, then you haven't been paying attention these last 8 years.

Fuck the right. Fuck what they think. The gameplan this day forward needs to be doing what we can to get as many people on the left energized. Fuck. Republicans. Fuck trying to win their voters.

And Hillary has followers. And there are millions of us. We proved it last year when we curb-stomped Bernie Sanders. You want us onboard.

Slayven

20 million about to lose their healthcare

But what about her emails.

"Progressives" you want to be the future of the DNC? How you going to be the future if you still stuck 6 months in the past?

Cocaloch

Did I call you rude? Or even mention you at all?

No, but I was involved with the group of people you were disparaging. My issue was that if I wasn't being rude, and my understanding of the problem is that people think that the term is a pejorative, then I don't see the problem.

Being a democrat means insisting that nothing good is possible and then being shocked when voters don't find your vision of the future compelling.

One of the more interesting things to come out of the book Shattered was that the unofficial slogan of Hillary's campaign staffers was "We aren't allowed to have nice things." Pretty much sums it up.

royalan

It's not that I dislike her; I happily voted for her, & would've done so even if she was against an innocuous opponent. It's just that GAF's one of the few places where I see an overwhelming abundance of support for her, especially if we're counting real life (Weren't we, like, one of the Top 10 pro-Clinton sites during the election? Even including her own sites?). Elsewhere, it's maybe 1 or 2 impassioned supporters with the rest just being modest respect.

You wanna know where else you saw an overwhelming abundance of support for her?

The fucking ballot box.

If you think the GOP needed Hillary Clinton to create a boogieman to rally their base, then you haven't been paying attention these last 8 years.

Fuck the right. Fuck what they think. The gameplan this day forward needs to be doing what we can to get as many people on the left energized. Fuck. Republicans. Fuck trying to win their voters.

And Hillary has followers. And there are millions of us. We proved it last year when we curb-stomped Bernie Sanders. You want us onboard.

I understand that we shouldn't care TOO MUCH about what the right thinks, but the fact is that if the GOP were able to get people to hate anyone they wanted, then Obama wouldn't have left office with like 55% approval ratings.

I think an important factor in combating the GOP is to not telegraph our punches so to speak. When everyone and their mother knew that Hillary would run for office as soon as December 2012, that was basically Hillary making the mistake of telegraphing her punches. And it allowed the GOP to spend 4 years refocusing their "fuck Obama" stuff into "fuck Hillary" stuff.

Luckily from what I have seen with the GOP's propaganda, the only person that the GOP can turn into their next "Hillary" boogeyman is Elizabeth Warren, and I'm fairly certain that Warren is smart enough to know that.

Gattsu25

Banned
20 million about to lose their healthcare

"Progressives" you want to be the future of the DNC? How you going to be the future if you still stuck 6 months in the past?

Jesus Christ this thread's deplorable. As an outsider, you Americans absolutely deserve the hell out of Trump if this is how you guys respond to support.

TRUTH.

Trump is the candidate y'all deserve. JFC.

No, but I was involved with the group of people you were disparaging. My issue was that if I wasn't being rude, and my understanding of the problem is that people think that the term is a pejorative, then I don't see the problem.

The debate would be better served in a topic not about how Howard Dean and Clinton are teaming up to fund activists groups that maybe could help say the people of Flint have better water and find relief from threats of losing their homers over unpaid water bills for water that's almost poison.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
She lost, move on, nobody is supposed to be so important in politics, otherwise there's a serious problem.

royalan

I understand that we shouldn't care TOO MUCH about what the right thinks, but the fact is that if the GOP were able to get people to hate anyone they wanted, then Obama wouldn't have left office with like 55% approval ratings.

EEBLdVD.png

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203006/obama-job-approval-ratings-politically-polarized-far.aspx

Fuck the right. Fuck what they think.

I don't care are telegraphing our punches because, again, fuck the right and fuck what they think.

Focus on OUR voters, focus on left leaning voters.

Wallach

I can't stand Hillary, but if there is one thing she is really good at in this world, it's kissing up to people with checkbooks and getting them to fork some over. Her raising money for liberal organizations is very much the best thing she can do with her remaining celebrity and political clout.

Hillary's name raises as much money and support for Republicans as it does Democrats, and no amount of work from her will ever change that now.

I find a lot of the reactions in this thread bizarre, like we're supposed to pretend this woman is not political poison. As if cute phrases like "but her emails" was going to hand wave away the reality that her fucking name being in the news in any capacity is not going to energize Republican support for literally anything that sits in opposition to Democratic platform goals.

She lost, move on, nobody is supposed to be so important in politics, otherwise there's a serious problem.

She is...

She's working with Dean as a private citizen to provide funds to the front lines in the fight against Trump... I'm sure groups fighting Trump's xenophobic immigration laws will be grateful for some influx of cash, maybe it'll help some of these folks being threatened with potentially unlawful deportation afford a lawyer or something.

royalan

Hillary's name raises as much money and support for Republicans as it does Democrats, and no amount of work from her will ever change that now.

I find a lot of the reactions in this thread bizarre, like we're supposed to pretend this woman is not political poison. As if cute phrases like "but her emails" was going to hand wave away the reality that her fucking name being in the news in any capacity is not going to energize Republican support for literally anything that sits in opposition to Democratic platform goals.

I need your receipts for this statement.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
As long as she sticks to grassroots stuff, I'm all for it. Please, don't return as the democratic headliner. Please.
This exactly. I am all for her using her influence to turn things more blue.. but she's already missed not once, but twice. As qualified as she may be she is tainted to the point that half of the country won't vote for her, and if it's Clinton v Trump again...... he is going to win even wider short of him actually defying his hardcore base.

And before you say "but all of the shit he's doing is affecting his base the most!!", yes.... I know. But it's the stuff they voted him in for, and as long as he does it, even if it negatively impacts them, they're going to say he did what he promised and it's their own fault they're in their situation, etc.

If Clinton wasn't raising money say to support activists groups say to fight for better public schools they GOP would still fight as hard as they are right now to destroy them... the only difference is activists would have less money to resist.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This thread has been abysmal from the get go and no one seems to actually care about the actual topic anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom