• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Regains Momentum Against Donald Trump: Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to take my word for it, just ask the justices themselves.

Stephen Breyer's (joined by Sotomayor, JPS, and Ginsburg) dissent from McDonald v. Chicago

All it takes is one more liberal justice and an appropriate lawsuit to reverse Heller and McDonald, thus opening the door for any state or municipality that wishes to enact a total ban and seizure of privately owned firearms.

You are so misguided on this it is asinine. You actually fucking think someone is going to ban and seize firearms, are you that batshit off your rocker? Can you please, give me the logistics on how that would even work?

You don't get to make such a bombastic statement without backing it up.

-Edit, how the hell do you get away with posting shit like this.

akileese

I refuse to believe the polls have ever been close.

I'm not exactly confident of our hilarious, shameful electoral process, but no. Just no.

They absolutely got close. The thing about voters is that they're very reactionary. Every time one of them has a bad week things tend to tighten or expand depending on who it is. I think Trump had some very favorable polls, which skewed the regular ones to show more of a tightening. She was never going to maintain a 9-10 point lead in all the battleground states.

Futureman

You don't have to take my word for it, just ask the justices themselves.

Stephen Breyer's (joined by Sotomayor, JPS, and Ginsburg) dissent from McDonald v. Chicago

All it takes is one more liberal justice and an appropriate lawsuit to reverse Heller and McDonald, thus opening the door for any state or municipality that wishes to enact a total ban and seizure of privately owned firearms.

You're trying to create fear and panic so people support a reprehensible racist. You'll look back on 2016 while on you're deathbed and be like, "Why the fuck did I waste my time doing that? That was hateful and mean. Hillary ended up getting elected and led the US to a new age of prosperity."

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They absolutely got close. The thing about voters is that they're very reactionary. Every time one of them has a bad week things tend to tighten or expand depending on who it is. I think Trump had some very favorable polls, which skewed the regular ones to show more of a tightening. She was never going to maintain a 9-10 point lead in all the battleground states.

Also need to take into account the energy of the voters. Hillary voters are lacking in energy compared to Trump. Just look at the turnout for speeches and events. Trump crowds are demolishing Hillary crowds.

You're trying to create fear and panic so people support a reprehensible racist. You'll look back on 2016 while on you're deathbed and be like, "Why the fuck did I waste my time doing that? That was hateful and mean. Hillary ended up getting elected and led the US to a new age of prosperity."

Lol.
Status quo politicians don't bring about prosperity unless the country is already in prosperity.

Trojan

Trump can't help himself. He just has to be the top story, even if he's in the news for spewing garbage at a rally, which seems to happen most days. It's hilarious how he just keeps insisting on making headlines.

My Trump loathing has reached max level. He's truly an awful human being. Clinton isn't a great candidate, but at least she's as a person who hasn't built a career on destroying the lives of others and preying on the weak.

If Trump is elected I think I will just kind of sit back and watch Rome burn. Some people don't realized how unhinged he is and if he's President it will not take much time to see the Emperor has no clothes.

Not to mention this shit has been peddled for eight years, Obama is coming for your guns. Gun laws have not been restricted in the past eight years, not at all. I'm so tired of this shit.

Toxi

Banned
I'm having trouble believing Team Alucard or Diablos991 live in places where the legislature is super heavy on gun control.

Zophar

Cali, Mass, New Jersey, New York, Illinois, Washington, Maryland.

giphy.gif

Weird they didn't ban guns and render the 2nd Amendment hollow at some point in the 234 years preceding McDonald V Chicago. Wonder why.

This falsely assumes they treat polls equally.

This doesn't falsely assume shit.

Every other named polling-aggregator model 1) was just as accurate in 2008 and 2012, if applicable and 2) doesn't include nearly as much janky shit, period, regardless of how Nate "weighs" (read: skews) them.

(e: actually, PEC just throws them in without weighting straight up, which makes 538's "random drift" model even weirder considering PEC's is still over 70%)

Wang did lower his std dev from 6% to 3% a few weeks ago, making his model more aggressive

I guess, but Wang lowering the standard deviation in the first place was to bring it more in line with what was observed in 1996-2012 (i.e., the change in 2016 was to 6%).

Reply to Alucard posts assuming he's coming from a place of genuine concern brehs...

Should just ignore him/her considering he/she gets to say absolutely disingenuous shit w/o having to be accountable for anything. Now wonder he/she supports Trump, it is the same exact bullshit.

Juice

Holy crap, where'd all the undecideds go? First time a candidate has hit 50% anywhere, no?

Unprecedented numbers of undecideds are what have been driving up the uncertainty in the polls, so if they're decreasing (ahead of a 1-on-1 debate, which should further reduce undecided numbers & 3rd party support), we might start to see the numbers firm up, if anything

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Obama really fucking needs to keep pounding the pulpit with the message that responsible voting is the adult thing to do. Yes, he has to say Hillary is great as an individual, but he has started going in hardcore that this is about way, way more than Hillary.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's very unlikely to be a landslide (as much as it should be).

I've been feeling pretty agitated how much ground Trump has been gaining in FiveThirtyEight's model without there seeming to be any huge shift occuring, but seeing the recent update by PEC only having Hillary winning by 296 EVs (with a 71/81% chance of winning) signals why. Not a super close win but not very comforting either.

EV_history.png

Why are the people who own a gun in order to "defend themselves" also such strong supporters of the police? What do you need the police for if you are capable of taking on the bad guys yourself?

rjinaz

Team Alucard, didn't you say you were a member of the LGBTQ community and haven't you also said you don't own a gun?

Assuming that is true, which I admit it may not be, then don't you see how hypocritical you sound? SC votes are more important than just gun rights.

Team Alucard, didn't you say you were a member of the LGBTQ community and haven't you also said you don't own a gun?

Assuming that is true, which I admit it may not be, then don't you see how hypocritical you sound? SC votes are more important than just gun rights.

I am transgender (in that I have been professionally diagnosed with gender dysphoria), but I am closeted and non-transitioning. The only people who I have disclosed this information to are members of anonymous online forums and a mental health professional who I no longer see, and I would prefer to keep it that way. I do not really consider myself to be a member of the trans or LGBT community, because its not an identity that I embrace. If I could take a pill that would make me cis, I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't have any pride in being trans, to me its just a very unfortunate mental health affliction that I have to deal with.

I own two guns. I did not own a hand gun until a year ago, but I have had a shotgun for a while. Trap and skeet shooting has been a hobby of mine since High School. My dad and sister are both very into it as well.

Not

Banned
I am transgender (in that I have been professionally diagnosed with gender dysphoria), but I am closeted and non-transitioning. The only people who I have disclosed this information to are members of anonymous online forums and a mental health professional who I no longer see, and I would prefer to keep it that way. I do not really consider myself to be a member of the trans or LGBT community, because its not an identity that I embrace, rather its simply an internal struggle that I deal with on my own. If I could take a pill that would make me cis, I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't have any pride in being trans, to me its just an unfortunate mental health affliction that I have to deal with.

I own two guns. I did not own a hand gun until a year ago, but I have had a shotgun for a while. Trap and skeet shooting has been a hobby of mine since High School. My dad and sister are both very into it as well.

What's convinced you to see it that way?

Codeblue

I will be sweating until I see 270 under Clinton's name with my own eyes. Hillary needs to win and it needs to be a landslide rejection of hate.

rjinaz

I am transgender (in that I have been professionally diagnosed with gender dysphoria), but I am closeted and non-transitioning. The only people who I have disclosed this information to are members of anonymous online forums and a mental health professional who I no longer see, and I would prefer to keep it that way. I do not really consider myself to be a member of the trans or LGBT community, because its not an identity that I embrace, rather its simply an internal struggle that I deal with on my own. If I could take a pill that would make me cis, I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't have any pride in being trans, to me its just an unfortunate mental health affliction that I have to deal with.

Ok fair enough. Must have confused you with another on guns.

Still, I have to ask, don't you have sympathy for others that are transgender that are facing real discrimination because they do embrace it? I mean I really don't think you're guns are going to be taken away from you, but man, those are just guns. We're talking about real people (not just people like you) that Trump and those like him are going to be actively trying to shit on. How can you deny this and worse even seem to embrace it? A year ago gay marriage was illegal in many states. Who knows what else the SC may vote on that could ultimately improve the lives of minorities. It won't happen with the kind of judges Trump and Republicans would want. But, your guns will probably be safe. Phew.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am transgender (in that I have been professionally diagnosed with gender dysphoria), but I am closeted and non-transitioning. The only people who I have disclosed this information to are members of anonymous online forums and a mental health professional who I no longer see, and I would prefer to keep it that way. I do not really consider myself to be a member of the trans or LGBT community, because its not an identity that I embrace. If I could take a pill that would make me cis, I would do it in a heartbeat. I don't have any pride in being trans, to me its just a very unfortunate mental health affliction that I have to deal with.

I feel for your struggles with your identity, but to not have any empathy for others that could be having the same struggles and would rather focus on a hobby...blows my mind.

Eusis

Not so fast OP
The nightmare swirls and churns unending!

Until Election Day anyway.

EDIT: And the Transgender aspect is another can of worms entirely. But, uhhh, I'd prioritize that over a hobby that will PROBABLY stay safe with her as president anyway. Not unless your only option is the black market anyway.

prag16

Banned
Don't people routinely get shat on for pointing to a single favorable-to-Trump poll and imply that it's indicative of anything?

Why would this be any different. Hell some other poll got released today that has Trump up by 5 nationally. USC/LA Times I think.

I can understand obviously new news getting their own threads, but are single polls really new news in the same sense?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh really?

There are plenty of Democratic state legislatures that are chomping at the bit to ban guns. The only thing holding them back is legal precedent set by SCOTUS. Take that away and numerous states would ban guns almost overnight.

A federal ban is less likely due to the filibuster, but I certainly wouldn't put it past the Dems to go nuclear the next time they control congress and the WH.

SCOTUS interprets the constitution. If they decide that the 2nd doesn't protect the right to bear arms, then that's it, until when/if a future iteration of the court reverse the decision, or a new amendment is approved (lmfao).

Embarrassing fearmongering rubbish. But you won't be embarrassed because you're either a character or lack the shame gland. But more importantly, your candidate ("Oh I don't necessarily support trump!") is such a bag of shit that you're resorting to naked fabulism rather than argument.

Codeblue

I feel for your struggles with your identity, but to not have any empathy for others that could be having the same struggles and would rather focus on a hobby...blows my mind.

I work with a hardcore Republican and was trying to explain that Trump's dog whistles are literally a life or death concern for a lot of minorities and were actively making my life more difficult. He replied explaining that Clinton is trying to raise his taxes. It was depressing.

Blader

What I don't understand about people like Alucard and diablos who say there are Democratic legislatures all across the country just chomping at the bit to take everyone's guns away is, why didn't this already happen 20 years ago?

The assault weapons ban was an actual piece of legislation that actually being certain firearms. Why didn't *that*, a real legal ban, open the floodgates for wholesale firearm bans and a revoked Second Amendment? How do you look at the history of the AWB, which had a very narrow impact on gun ownership and no repercussions for the vast majority of gun owners, and conclude that any meaningful number of lawmakers anywhere want to completely take away your guns?

xxracerxx

I work with a hardcore Republican and was trying to explain that Trump's dog whistles are literally a life or death concern for a lot of minorities and were actively making my life more difficult. He replied explaining that Clinton is trying to raise his taxes. It was depressing.

It always reads to me on here that Trump supporters (on this board at least) are single issue voters. They focus on a sole thing and disregard the overall message of the Republican party.

TaterTots

Banned
Is there a certain period during the week new polls are released? Most sites I'm checking are from a week ago or more. Anyone know?

It always reads to me on here that Trump supporters (on this board at least) are single issue voters. They focus on a sole thing and disregard the overall message of the Republican party.
I think that's inaccurate. It's far more likely that this is just how people frame their choice.

It's much more likely they align with him on other issues, as well.

xxracerxx

I think that's inaccurate. It's far more likely that this is just how people frame their choice.

It's much more likely they align with him on other issues, as well.

Oh, I am sure it is inaccurate, it just reads that way to me. The laser focus on one thing, with no mention of any of the less nice points.

Yoda

While this poll has her ahead again by a comfortable margin, most of the polls still have her ahead anyway (even if it's within the margin of error). What matters is the trend, and if there are similar polls this will signal she is no longer trending downward. The real issue is the debate, if Trump doesn't act like a moron the media will proclaim he's presidential and he'll win by curved grading.

prag16

Banned
Some of the recent posts about out of date polls, or not being able to find polls, baffle me.

This isn't rocket science. You don't have to go stumbling around searching for polls. RealClearPolitics.com has tons of polls, national, state by state, two-way, four-way, senate/house, and so on and so forth, all displayed in nice tables aggregating the results, with the ability to click on individual polls to see the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom