• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hindsight is 20/20: Killzone: Shadow Fall

LiK

AnfcdO9_d.webp

omg, this is so accurate.

You would had never guess that the Horizon developers made this. The worse Killzone game.

You could tell they were experimenting with more open levels in some parts but failed miserably.

There was that one terrible flying level.

There were hints and pieces in the game that were really good.

The narrative and plot were aggressively stupid (iirc).

It was very pretty. Some neat use of secondary powers.

Hindsight.

LOL.

Foresight should have given you all an accurate idea of this game's quality in the end.

The helghast are sincerely one of the most misused enemy factions in shooter history. Sincerely it's the most nonsensical premise, literally destroyed their planet n self defense and let them do a hostile takeover of half of our planet while retaining the nazi imagery and weaponry.

Not 'one of the' most misused. Absolutely the most misused in any shooter by a fair fucking margin!

People wonder why I didn't trust GG to make a solid game out of Horizon.

The answer: I read about Killzone 2's lore before I ever played Killzone 2 and 3. And boy, I've never seen such cool lore squandered.

In the hands of a more capable crew of writers, writing the games around the actual backstory of the franchise... Killzone could have had the most unique and engaging overarching plot of any sci fi shooter series. but let me just simplify things so I can better put the absolutely shithouse KZSF plotline on blast.

KZ1: The Helghan want some of Vekta? fuck outta here
KZ2: We're really, REALLY pissed about Vekta, so we're taking the fight to Helghan
KZ3: WHAT THE FUCK RICO, shoot the nuke

Shadowfall: Well... Here's half of Vekta. Half of our capitol planet. The one you guys tried to take over once? That we were so pissed off about that we continued the deadliest war in human history because of it? Here's fucking half of that planet. It's all yours, Space Hitler. Lucky for you, the dividing line passes directly through the goddamn capitol city of the human species

Sid

Basically the Uncharted 4 of the Killzone franchise...extremely pretty but the worst of the franchise and boring as hell.

Tagyhag

Very pretty game with OK gameplay and a boring campaign.

I knew it was going to be more like Killzone 3 than 2 when everyone here was praising its graphics and nothing else.

ShadowFall was the first game I got for my PS4, the graphics were mindblowing but the pacing and gameplay didn't match. Neither did the wonky story...

Hopefully making Horizon will allow GG to make better KillZone games

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
Didn't finish it. Fun enough game, but it was a placeholder for me because I had received it as a bundle and had no other games. I gave it a decent shot but ended up getting into Warframe, Contrast, and a couple of others and never got back to it.

Marjorine

It was a rare launch game I didn't beat. It was boring as hell and I didn't care about the characters or anything going on in that world. Glad to see they moved away from this IP.

This is coming from someone who enjoyed KZ2.

JimiNutz

Banned
I found (what little I played of it) soulless and boring but very pretty.
The pretty graphics kept me on the hook for the first two hours but after that I couldn't bring myself to play anymore.

Didn't try the MP so not sure if that's better?

NahaNago

i enjoyed what i played of it but i'm not a shooter game person. It is pretty, but i stopped playing because i got stuck in the game. I'll probably go back and finish it this month.

Blinck

I liked it. Still looks phenomenal, better than most games releasing today. I also liked the gameplay, with the OWL and such. Great art direction, mood, and I liked the story. It goes into some cool aspects of the Killzone universe lore.

A couple of levels are a bit boring though, and I haven't tried the multiplayer.

I recommend it if you like "dark" sci-fi, the killzone universe, great graphics and art direction.

Dysun

Mediocre shooter with great graphics. I enjoyed it as a launch game, its faults get blown way out of proportion though

I liked it and thought the MP was fun. Not a fan of shooters using controllers not having aim assist though. It's an inpreceise input method so I'm not sure why people like not having any form of stickiness

War zone has always been fun for me

Roufianos

Fucking trash even by launch game standards. You've got so much to play, keep away from this steamy turd.

If you want to play a Killzone, 2 is amazing.

Steroyd

It's refreshing in the first 2 levels which were open had multiple optional objectives to make your life easier or harder depending on if you do them... And then it becomes you bog standard shooter from level 3 and up.

Shikoba

It was ok as a launch game. It was clearly rushed, but some aspects were nice- like the more open level designs in the beginning parts of the game and the female character they introduced was interesting. The multiplayer was pretty fun as well. Graphics were great.

The story was quite silly overall and as the game progressed the levels got worse and worse. The first few levels were its best.

My biggest complaint is that the amazing physics and hit detection of Killzone 2 was nowhere to be found in Shadow Fall.

jet1911

The only reason I finished the game is because it was the only game I had at launch. Really not an enjoyable experience. Glad to see that GG got their shit together for Horizon.

Zukkoyaki

I didn't think it was that bad. Very pretty and solid shooter mechanics/gunplay. Problem was that the level design throughout the campaign was extremely up and down. Some of the levels were excellent (2, 4, epilogue) but other parts were either extremely boring or annoying at best and infuriating at worst.

Decent enough launch game though in my opinion.

Velikost

It was a decent launch game.

My take. The campaign was a bit of a slog, but overall I'm glad I played it. I was hyped for the multiplayer before launch, but it didn't really resonate with me, especially when I had Battlefield 4 and CoD Ghosts at launch as well. I was always interested in th coop standalone mode they released, but I'd heard almost no one was playing it, so I never picked it up.

If you can find a copy for ~$10 or so, it's worth playing through.

pixelation

"And then there are people like you, judging and treating us like we are the criminals."

Yea because you look this THIS:
er_photo_209854.jpg

How important are evil villain trenchcoats and glowing red eyes to Helghast culture?? In fact, the whole game is supposed to be a stealth mission, yet, the player is constantly instructed to kill enemies because it's a shooter with no player agency, are the helghast just finding these fields of bodies and thinking nothing of it? It makes no sense.

Wait i thought they needed those masks in new helghan because the air was toxic so... why do they still wear them in vekta?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What did people find boring about it? I thought the less linear design and greater focus on exploration made for interesting design - though not all levels took advantage of this. It was rough in some ways, but I thought they did a nice job. A solid but not spectacular game. My biggest issue is really the AI which, while not bad, wasn't always that engaging to deal with.

Agreed. Most of GAF seemingly got lost throughout the levels as the OT was rife with complaints about this. I never found to be a problem and really enjoyed the more freeform objective structure. Was actively shocked after finishing the game at how much people hated the level structure, puzzled by it really. Some issues do exist though as not all levels came out great, but I much appreciated the shift over the shooting gallery checkpoints of prior Killzone games.

Biggest issue was indeed that the 'heft' of bullet impact and AI downgrade though. Compared to earlier games, the guns lacked punch or weight. Even on the highest difficulty, enemies went down way too quickly and you rarely got a sense that your shooting interacted well with your targets, a strength of KZ2.

Hasney

A turd so steaming it hasn't cooled down yet. If I were to say something nice about it, it would be that it's better than The Order at least.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wait i thought they needed those masks in new helghan because the air was toxic so... why do they still wear them in vekta?

No. They didn't need them anymore even on Helghan, they had adapted and Evolved to become accustomed to thier homeworld.

They continued to wear them as a part of their culture and a reminder of their oppression.

So yes, it makes sense they would still be wearing them.

Pjsprojects

Loved it,great campaign and played a lot of the multiplayer.
Also still ranks high graphically and still easy to get a match on multiplayer.

Very impressive looking game. I had some fun with the MP for about a month. Killzone 2 is still the pinnacle of the series, and is in my mind the greatest FPS ever created. Man I miss KZ2; 700+ hours of my life went to it; there will never be another like it.

pixelation

No. They didn't need them anymore even on Helghan, they had adapted and Evolved to become accustomed to thier homeworld.

They continued to wear them as a part of their culture and a reminder of their oppression.

So yes, it makes sense they would still be wearing them.

Okey, they just digged the fact that it made them look all cool and badass.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm not sure anyone likes this game at all lol

GG clearly found their groove with Horizon imo

Plenty do, but people live to shit on stuff to look leet. The game was good, it just had some rough spots. Lived the OWL.

reKon

Banned
3 was shit as well tho

No it fucking wasn't. This place so annoying sometimes with the bullshit extremes. The pacing in the campaign was perfect, the weapons were incredible (W.A.S.P), and it was a very fun co-op experience.

Basically the Uncharted 4 of the Killzone franchise...extremely pretty but the worst of the franchise and boring as hell.

I consider this a shitpost and I would gladly explain to you why if you would like.

It was a fine game. It still looks amazing, but it's a rather dull experience. I stopped playing at some turret section that was just unbeatable (without restarting the whole level again).

Gator86

It's surreal how they went from shitty-ass, boring and dumb Shadow Fall to Horizon.

It really is amazing. Horizon is just leagues ahead in every way. Shadow fall multiplayer was legit though. It was and still is criminally underrated. Couldn't even finish that trash SP though and I finish almost every game I start. I finished the goddamn Thief reboot.

daevv

I bought Shadow Fall and Battlefield 4 the night of the PS4 launch. Despite being a broken mess at release and barely playable I still played BF4 more then Killzone. Horrible game.

AGoodODST

Literally the worst game I have ever played. So many awful design decision from needing to keep that stupid gun to attempting (and failing miserably) to ape Halo style open levels.

This game was the number one reason I wanted to wait and see how Horizon turned out before getting hyped.

Agreed. Most of GAF seemingly got lost throughout the levels as the OT was rife with complaints about this. I never found to be a problem and really enjoyed the more freeform objective structure. Was actively shocked after finishing the game at how much people hated the level structure, puzzled by it really. Some issues do exist though as not all levels came out great, but I much appreciated the shift over the shooting gallery checkpoints of prior Killzone games.

Because it's still a CoD linear shitfest but with a bit of faux-exploration where every alternative route is actually a dead end. It has none of the excitement or interest of uncovering hidden areas/rooms that was in classics like like Wolfenstein or DOOM, and there's still only one (incredibly poorly signposted) route to complete the objective.

I get what KZ:SF is trying to do with the combination of large open areas and corridor sections throughout the game, but there are tons of shooters that pulled it off better.

Top Bottom