• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hindsight is 20/20: Killzone: Shadow Fall

post-S

Similarly, how was inFamous PS4? Might pick it up

Second son was decent. The graphics is nice and the gameplay is fun.
The world is certainly not as interesting as infamous 1 tho.

First Light is not as good since its combat system is braindead.

Jonnax

I tried my best to like it.

It was simply boring.

It needed a lot of editing to get it into a good state.

But the gameplay was there. Just the pacing, level design and story weren't.

Kind of decent story told in the most terrible way imaginable. Rarely have I experienced such poor story telling in a campaign. A low point even for a franchise that never handled this stuff well to begin with.

Soundtrack varies from decent to incredible.
Visuals still hold up with the best of them in places.
Guns feel great, combat is fun.
The owl companion you can use to scan enemies and attack / distract with is neat.
Good variety of locations.
Some awful levels here and there, a bunch of average ones and a handful of really great missions.

Basically a game full of highs and lows, but far more lows than highs and not really worth your time for either it's stilted singleplayer or it's messy multiplayer.

The definition of a dead average game that had a ton of promise. 6/10

For me the generation didn't start rolling before Destiny released in September 2014.

MGvfHKn.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awful game for the most part. Very pretty graphics, but a terribly frustrating experience that was only put up with by some because it was a launch title and there wasn't much else to play.

jennetics

Since I just bought a PS4 and haven't regularly gamed in about 7 years, I've got a bit of a backlog right now (to say the least). Thought I'd start something here by making posts about games that have come and gone to help determine what I want to play based on NeoGAF's impressions.

We all know impressions on games vary wildly when they first release; so much hate and so much love can dilute true impressions of games that often settle in months later.

That's what these Hindsight posts will be all about!

With that in mind, what are everyone's thoughts on Killzone: Shadow Fall today?

Awful SP, good MP.

What did people find boring about it? I thought the less linear design and greater focus on exploration made for interesting design - though not all levels took advantage of this. It was rough in some ways, but I thought they did a nice job. A solid but not spectacular game. My biggest issue is really the AI which, while not bad, wasn't always that engaging to deal with.

It felt like there wasn't a point to the exploration. And the waves of enemies made each encounter seem like it overstayed its welcome. By comparison Horizon seems to get both exploration and encounter experience right. That being said, I did finish it. I do not hate it but it just felt like they have yet to recapture the magic of KZ2.

Beautiful game, but a complete waste of GG talents. Hopefully it stays away for good now.

Horizon shows that they are better than Killzone.

Strike

Decent launch title and tech demo. Single player was pretty basic, but multiplayer (while not up to Killzone 2 level) was a step up from the huge disappoint that was Killzone 3.

jdstorm

Banned
Similarly, how was inFamous PS4? Might pick it up

I had fun and platinumed it. Its very pretty. Story is forgettable and laughable at some points but it doesnt take itself too seriously and its a fun twist on the TPS by adding superpowers

As for KZSF. Pretty Game. I had fun with it, but it felt like Gurella were doing their take on Vanquish and i had played it closely

Lokimaru

The reason Killzone 2 & 3 were so good was because you had clear goals and had to accomplish those goals against a highly motivated and ruthless enemy force, Shadow Fall had you facing a mostly passive force with barely there stealth mechanics and no mention of Luger at all by the group she was a member of. I would totally buy the comanders point of veiw if it had been her calling the shots since she fought to kick the higs off Vecta in the first game and lost friends on Helgan in the second. Hell where was Hekha the Helgast defector? All these great characters they got rid of yet Rico managed to stick around. It's gotta be galling when your handheld spinoff game has better stealth then your big budget main game.

Top Bottom