• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Absolution Director: "We won't be dictated to by the fans"

Tain

If this were a sequel to Blood Money (mechanically, of course), I really would like it to be more difficult. Going for Silent Assassin is fun and all but simply clearing the game on Professional is a little too easy.

But, hey, now I don't need to worry about that. cool thanks IO

snoopeasystreet said:
Just remember folks, they can never take Blood Money away from us.

Yeah they can, it is now out of print in the UK

edit - That's my mistake, looks like some stores have Xbox 360 Classic version now

StuBurns said:
While people shouldn't take design advice from fans, they also should go on the record with quotes like that. Bad form.
Its very bad form and to have a senior developer like a director to go on record like that shows that something is off here...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Interfectum said:
Former IO employee "Voodooman":

I don't give a damn about this game being "true" Hitman but this quote made reconsider my decision to purchase it.

amdnv

Hello developers, are you reading this? I have a request, I'm sure many other people would love this as well:
can you please make a Hitman game on railz? That would be da sheeit. An also give me two silverballers with unlimited ammo so I can just leanz back an aim. That wud be cool. Kbyethanks!

I think it's a good idea. The 'Fans' they hear from are a small fraction of the whole and it's usually the people who are upset that say anything. They could pull the game in any number of directions and never please any more people with one way over another. They need to have a vision for their game, make it, and people will decide.

Derrick01

Banned
LiK said:
"Perfect game for DLC"

oh c'mon.

Well he was right. For the game they're making it probably will be really easy to churn out DLC, since they're not making a real Hitman game.

I mean come on, it's just hits and stuff right?

andherewego.gif

Hitman 5 will be fun. It won't be Blood Money 2. It will be more reminiscent of Contracts with likely some conviction-esque elements.

I thought conviction was pretty tacticool. I also never played it again after I beat the campaign. >_>

Damn son, they're really trying to make the long time fans not like this direction at all. Shit, just say the game has MP and be done with it.

Darklord

Banned
It's hilarious when fuckwit developers say that.

Red Faction
Fans: "We want more open areas, more destruction, more big buildings to knock down!"
Developers: "Nah we're going to make a third person generic shooter"

*red faction dies*

Call of Duty

Fans: "We want dedicated servers!"
Developer: "lol nope"

*MW3 has dedicated servers*

Battlefield

Fans: "We want a game like BF2 for PC!"
Developer: "ok"

*Becomes one of the biggest hyped games this year*

Get it through your heads developers, you alienate your fans and loose your most dedicated fan base. Name one company that completely dicked their fans over and ended up loved and better off? Oh right, none.

Aguirre

I'm guessing they'll exclude levels from the original production, tweak them slightly so they're divorced from the original story/campaign and then sell 'em as DLC. Cool.

subversus

ShinobiFist said:
Damn son, they're really trying to make the long time fans not like this direction at all. Shit, just say the game has MP and be done with it.

it has

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Darklord said:

Whaa...whaaat? It turns out it's in the best interest of the developer to actually listen to the (reasonable) wishes of their fanbase? Well I never...

edit : I'm having a nostradamus moment here, add DmC to that list.

Aguirre

subversus said:
polls_darth_vader_nooo_1432_995447_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

ElRenoRaven

Darklord said:
It's hilarious when fuckwit developers say that.

Red Faction
Fans: "We want more open areas, more destruction, more big buildings to knock down!"
Developers: "Nah we're going to make a third person generic shooter"

*red faction dies*

Call of Duty

Fans: "We want dedicated servers!"
Developer: "lol nope"

*MW3 has dedicated servers*

Battlefield

Fans: "We want a game like BF2 for PC!"
Developer: "ok"

*Becomes one of the biggest hyped games this year*

Get it through your heads developers, you alienate your fans and loose your most dedicated fan base. Name one company that completely dicked their fans over and ended up loved and better off? Oh right, none.

Hey quit speaking the truth. We're supposed to shut up and say thank you IO and buy it. Don't you know that?

Darklord

Banned
Corky said:
Whaa...whaaat? It turns out it's in the best interest of the developer to actually listen to the (reasonable) wishes of their fanbase? Well I never...

edit : I'm having a nostradamus moment here, add DmC to that list.

It's hilarious how many developers refuse to understand. Companies need to use feedback and build the fan base they have. Instead they throw it all out the window and try and go for the CoD fan base which is next to impossible to get. Basically, it's the same as those half-arsed MMO's that want to grab WoW's userbase without putting the creative thinking or budget into it. They allfail.

Haunted

This could be the next Red Faction: Armageddon in the making.

Catering to the mainstream crowd instead of the series' fans is so damn dangerous.

Best case scenaio is that they lose the long-time fans but gain a whole lot of Call of Hitman bros who happily buy the yearly iterations and all the DLC.

Worst case scenario is that these turn out to be franchise-ending decisions.

As a fan of the series, even the best case scenario sounds fucking horrible to me, if that wasn't clear.

Darklord said:
It's hilarious how many developers refuse to understand. Companies need to use feedback and build the fan base they have. Instead they throw it all out the window and try and go for the CoD fan base which is next to impossible to get. Basically, it's the same as those half-arsed MMO's that want to grab WoW's userbase without putting the creative thinking or budget into it. They allfail.

FUK FANZ. DA FOCUS GROUPE SAYZ THEY HATED BEEN CONFZED

subversus

Derrick01 said:
Are you serious? I had no clue about that. Holy shit this game really is going to be awful.

I believe there was an interview where they confirmed it but since I'm not tracking the game I can't find it. I may be wrong though.

-BLITZ-

UrbanRats said:
icUCd8WrL.gif

"We won't be dictated to by the fans"

Then for who is making the game, uh? Fans are the real gamers or the fans doesn't exist, meaning the gamers as just some noobs to them. Oh great, DLC coming, profit => money => pure Hollywood show. What's up with them. :(

No Open World ? Hah! One of the best things in Hitman series that made to shine on stage that not some many games FPS/TPS can reach his standards. Blood Money was amazing in open world, I could track my targets, do whatever I want, go wherever I want and choose which place to stay put.

So is like they will force me to go only through one path out of two ? Yeah, what a disappointment.

If the game gets Mature+18, who will play it if most of the gamer are above that age. They gonna lose a lot from this.

Terrible news.

Darklord

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
FUK FANZ. DA FOCUS GROUPE SAYZ THEY HATED BEEN CONFZED

DUDE DAY WENT TEH COD FANZ. THIS GAMES GONNA HAV KIILLSTEAKS N WHEN YOU KILL A GUY YOU GET 50 MESSAGES SAYING "SICK KILLL!!!!!!!" AND "+500000 EXP!!!!!!! LEVEL UP RANK 5 KILL MASTER!!!!!!" AND HAVE THIS SICK ROCK TUNE THAT GOS LIKE "DUN DUN...DUNDUNDUNDUN" WHEN YOU DO MAD KILLS.

Who wants to be stealthy? I just want to kill as many guys as fast as possible with modern warfare weapons. Oh IO, you're gonna learn the hard way. I can just tell.

duckroll

There's actually one part of the quotes I completely agree with.

We can see that everybody who knows the franchise, the moment they’re exposed to anything, they hit reload. It’s inherent in them! And we’re like no, no, you don’t have to reload anymore! It might be a bit messy but you’re not doomed if you clean up after yourself and continue.

Everything else sounds horrific and the game will probably be just another generic third person stealth shooter now, but that quote is something I think everyone SHOULD agree with. Reloading over and over to "perfect" something should not be the way games are played. But since it's basically impossible to recover from being detected in Hitman games, slow trial and error with either a lot of reloading or just a lot of dying was the only way to significantly progress in a mission. That's something they should fix if they ever do make a real Hitman sequel.

FGMPR

Banned
This is sounding worse by the minute. Anything by the K&L team was always likely to end up as a pile of fucking shit.

It's a shame. Hitman made me feel like a hitman. This game sounds like they want you to feel like the hitman.

While these changes will probably make the game more approachable to the larger audience, I feel like dumbing games is a really short sighted way of design. We're still in the early days of the medium and we should be assuming that people will become more literate to what games are but instead, designers are talking down to them in order to let them enjoy ourselves. It'd like if in the early days of print, people only wrote children's books.

ElRenoRaven

duckroll said:
There's actually one part of the quotes I completely agree with.

Everything else sounds horrific and the game will probably be just another generic third person stealth shooter now, but that quote is something I think everyone SHOULD agree with. Reloading over and over to "perfect" something should not be the way games are played. But since it's basically impossible to recover from being detected in Hitman games, slow trial and error with either a lot of reloading or just a lot of dying was the only way to significantly progress in a mission. That's something they should fix if they ever do make a real Hitman sequel.

Oh I agree there. You can somewhat do that in the older games too. Granted it's very hard to and occasionally you can't but it can be done most of the time. I know from experience. I'm not good at staying stealthy so I regularly had to clean up my messes.

KorrZ

Really IO? I defended this game when they first started making...questionable statements. At this point though it's like they're trying to piss off their fans. Unless gameplay completely proves me wrong I can't say I'll be all too disappointed when I look on GAF next year and see "Square Enix shutting down IO Interactive after poor Absolution sales"

Interfectum

duckroll said:

Agreed. What I wanted out of a Hitman 5 was a Blood Money with better graphics, much better AI (to solve the problem you stated above) and even more ways to take out a target. One cool thing they took out of Blood Money at the last minute was the ability to clean up the blood you left from shooting someone. I would've loved to see more things like that added to a new game.

Instead... well, we get this.

bathala

Banned
KorrZ said:
Really IO? I defended this game when they first started making...questionable statements. At this point though it's like they're trying to piss off their fans. Unless gameplay completely proves me wrong I can't say I'll be all too disappointed when I look on GAF next year and see "Square Enix shutting down IO Interactive after poor Absolution sales"
Not the original team

Top Bottom