• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HMDI 2.1 - higher resolution, higher refreshrate, hello adaptive-sync and more

What, it will allow all versions of hdmi to work on a 2.1 port.

Obviously you cant get 2.1 benefits on a sub 2.1 port. You can still connect 2.1 devices to sub 2.1 but you're obviously going to lose the pros of 2.1.

That's just how it is. That's like complaining that your USB 3.0 drive isn't getting 3.0 speeds on a 2.0 connection.

This update is huge. It's not a small update at all, especially if you want to game in 4k with HDR

Logically, if you go from X.0 to X.1 it should support it.

2.0 to 3.0 i completely understand not having support. But from 2.0 to 2.1? I dont know of any product that increments up by a .1 that no longer supports its previous .0 version. Its confusing for nothing this way.

EvB

Well fuck, I was about to purchase an Audio Receiver with HDMI 2.0 and Dolby Atmos.

Should I just hold off?

2.1 Supports more Dolby Atmos things, so if that is important to you, then possibly.
However some things will be able to be firmware updated to 2.1 but as it was only announced today it will take some time before you know

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This will be the bloody third year in a row I will have to buy a new av-receiver, HDCP, then HDR, and now HDMI 2.1, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

edit -

I guess thinking about it can't really see myself needing to use the extra features of HDMI 2.1 until a new console is released that supports them.

Thank fuck I waited before jumping on the 4K train. These are excellent additions. I honestly never thought we'd be FreeSync/Gsync on televisions.

Motherfucker. I knew I should've waited. Hopefully I can just update the OneConnect box and it will work on the KS8000 with a software update. Maybe?

UrbanRats

Yes, there hasn't been an official HDMI variation of that type of technology, even though it is possible.
Make it part of the spec and providing a "proper" way to do it should really open things up.
Honestly this is blowing my mind.
I wasnt expecting variable refresh rate on tvs any time soon.
Fantastic news.

I didn't read the OP edits. Surely Samsung will add support for HDMI 2.1.

Well theres nothing to read, its not known yet how or which TV will be up-gradable via FW and which wont. They say: "Some manufacturers may be able to achieve 2.1 compliance with just a firmware upgrade; others will require new hardware"

We will see. The fact that the KS8000 does have that OneConnect box does seem like they might have seen this coming, why else would they not have the inputs right into the TV?

Well theres nothing to read, its not known yet how or which TV will be up-gradable via FW and which wont. They say: "Some manufacturers may be able to achieve 2.1 compliance with just a firmware upgrade; others will require new hardware"

We will see. The fact that the KS8000 does have that OneConnect box does seem like they might have seen this coming, why else would they not have the inputs right into the TV?

That's actually one of the main reasons I opted for this over the LG. Also it was half the cost and had better input lag.

Edit: I didn't think 2.1 would come so soon though, nor with so many upgrades.

That's actually one of the main reasons I opted for this over the LG. Also it was half the cost and had better input lag.

Edit: I didn't think 2.1 would come so soon though, nor with so many upgrades.

Im very happy with it. I had no idea this was even in development.

Variable refresh rate as an HDMI standard sounds fucking amazing. When this is industry wide and affordable, that's when I will upgrade my TV, monitor, and receiver. Let screen tearing be a thing of the past!

I did some quick google searches and it seems that Samsung created the evolution kits (which includes the one connect) to also upgrade the features of old smart TVs.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/accessories/tv-accessories/SEK-2500U/XC

Oh hell yes.

love ces when youre waiting on your ks8500 to be delivered lol.. soul crushing.

Looks like we'll most likely get HDMI 2.1 compatibility. May require a new One Connect box though.

Shane89

[*]eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.
THIS, is the end of an era!
Welcome to the SINGLE cable era my freiends!
Fuck yeah!

This probable still uses 8b/10b encoding. So we actually have 38.4 Gbps.

It has enough bandwidth even with 12bit/color and 120Hz:

3840x2160x36x120= 35831808000 bits = 35.832 Gbps

I found this:
Bandwidth/channel = Pixel_Clock * (bit_depth_per_color + 2)
Bandwidth/channel = (3840x2160x120) * (10+2)
Bandwidth = (3840x2160x120) * 12 * (number of channels)
Bandwidth = (3840x2160x120) * 12 * 3
Bandwidth = 35,831,808,000 bits = 35.83 Gbps

It looks like if we are constrained to 38.4 Gbps then 4K120Hz + HDR10 + 4:4:4 is just barely possible. From your constraints of 38.4 Gbps it would not look like 12 bit is possible (41.80 Gbps), though I may be misunderstanding where that constraint came from.

Arkeband

Banned
How is a cable allowing a future variable refresh rate when cables are already currently doing that via Gsync? What is different about the signal being sent?

THIS, is the end of an era!
Welcome to the SINGLE cable era my freiends!
Fuck yeah!

It's still not the true single cable dream yet. We're getting close but no cigar yet. Every device still needs a separate power cable. I wish there was power via HDMI so I only have to run ONE cable from my AVR to my TV, Playstations, and other devices.

It's still not the true single cable dream yet. We're getting close but no cigar yet. Every device still needs a separate power cable. I wish there was power via HDMI so I only have to run ONE cable from my AVR to my TV, Playstations, and other devices.

Whatever happened to the HDMI standard that had network built in? It seems like nothing ever supported it. So I still need power, video/audio, and network. Plus for things like PS4, I need USB too.

Is it based on adaptive sync?

AMD already supports Freesync over HDMI, Though I'm not aware of any TVs supporting it, just monitors. Maybe this will kickstart that.

Well AMD is coming out with Freesync 2 which seems like this is what based off of. The next gen console for sure will have this tech

Heel

Henrar

Nvidia will fully support an industry standard. There's no question about that.
(This is similar to how Nvidia fully supports Vulkan but did not support Mantle)
They don't support adaptive sync on desktop GPUs, whereas their laptop chips use that.
They also don't support newer versions of OpenCL (above 1.2).
They use standards only when they can't use their priopetary stuff.

tuxfool

Banned
Well AMD is coming out with Freesync 2 which seems like this is what based off of. The next gen console for sure will have this tech

Freesync 2 is something of an addendum to VRR. It is about reducing HDR latency by cutting out the monitor tonemapping stage, instead allowing software such as games to query the panel's colour profile and tonemap appropriately to the panel, directly on the gpu.

It includes Freesync 1 but also imposes more rigorous standards to guarantee low frame rate compensation.

8K60Hz and 4K120Hz
Hell yes! This is exactly what I've been waiting for! Now put these in some nice OLED TVs and we can talk.

Do you shit gold?

image.php

Oh... nm

Belker

I should have researched the time between HDMI specifications updates. I bought my KS7000/US8000 on the assumption that specs take a long time to change and even longer for those specs to be taken widely taken advantage of and that they'd be incremental changes.

I wanted to keep my TV for at least four years. After that, whatever technology out there would be significantly better and would have dropped in price, so even lower/mid-range TVs would knock the socks off the KS7000.

If media and gaming industries take a couple of years to fully exploit to HDMI 2.1 - that is, Netflix and new consoles and games support it - then perhaps my plan wasn't too bad.

I'd be surprised if Samsung release a new box for their TVs. If they want to sell new models, then allowing people to upgrade the old ones is counter productive. If they are willing to sell boxes - perhaps to deny sales to other companies - then presumably they have some plan to monetise upgraders. Maybe the box will be quite expensive, or they'll try to work out some way to sell services, adverts or something to those people.

I found this:
Bandwidth/channel = Pixel_Clock * (bit_depth_per_color + 2)
Bandwidth/channel = (3840x2160x120) * (10+2)
Bandwidth = (3840x2160x120) * 12 * (number of channels)
Bandwidth = (3840x2160x120) * 12 * 3
Bandwidth = 35,831,808,000 bits = 35.83 Gbps

It looks like if we are constrained to 38.4 Gbps then 4K120Hz + HDR10 + 4:4:4 is just barely possible. From your constraints of 38.4 Gbps it would not look like 12 bit is possible (41.80 Gbps), though I may be misunderstanding where that constraint came from.

The constraint of 38.4 Gbps of net bandwidth comes from 48 Gbps / (10b/8b) = 38.4 Gbps, so 4:4:4 12bit 4K @ 120Hz which requires 35.83Gbps will be possible. The remaining 2.5 Gbps will be used for multiple streams of high quality audio, HDR metadata, and possibly ethernet. There could be more net bandwidth available since we don't know for sure if it is 10b/8b encoding they are using, 128b/130b or 128b/132b or 64b/66b are also possibilities.

As a drawback it needs the new 48Gb cable unlike what many said.
I hope TV manufacturers have something planned for this year.

Heel

I'd be surprised if Samsung release a new box for their TVs. If they want to sell new models, then allowing people to upgrade the old ones is counter productive. If they are willing to sell boxes - perhaps to deny sales to other companies - then presumably they have some plan to monetise upgraders. Maybe the box will be quite expensive, or they'll try to work out some way to sell services, adverts or something to those people.

Well, the last one they released is still $400.

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...3500u-one-connect-evolution-kit-sek-3500u-za/

They did skip releasing one in 2016 in favor of updating the OS, but maybe all these spec changes would convince them to do another.

The constraint of 38.4 Gbps of net bandwidth comes from 48 Gbps / (10b/8b) = 38.4 Gbps, so 4:4:4 12bit 4K @ 120Hz which requires 35.83Gbps will be possible. The remaining 2.5 Gbps will be used for multiple streams of high quality audio, HDR metadata, and possibly ethernet. There could be more net bandwidth available since we don't know for sure if it is 10b/8b encoding they are using, 128b/130b or 128b/132b or 64b/66b are also possibilities.

Yeah, but I'm not getting how 12 bit = 35.83Gbps

I used bit_depth_per_color = 10 in the above calculations.
Using bit_depth_per_color = 12 arrives at 41.80 Gbps.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If it's so good why not HDMI 3.0? Or 4.0?(such a leap that they skip 3!)

2.1? That's like the shitty AC Syndicate patch that made 4K look like crap.

Top Bottom