• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Lead Designer Quits Following YouTube Controversy

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Another win for the snowflakes

I'm so fucking sick to death of this shit. It's so easy now for people to dig up dirt on anyone. The only time I'd warrant this kind of insane mob mentality is if someone had hard proof that someone was a rapist, pedo, or murderer.

Some guy made a video expressing views you didn't like. Boo. Fucking. Hoo. Ignore and move on.

I'm seriously starting to think the Internet should go back to how it used to be. Everyone uses an alias or username. No personal information. The fact that people fell for the Facebook, LinkedIn, whatever else bullshit is insanity. This is the Internet. You put one foot out of line, and some lunatic is going to hunt your ass until you're exposed and your life is ruined.

Fuck I'm angry.

Never give into to mob

Hooray for bullying people out of their jobs

This is getting crazy.
I wonder who's next.

Another win for game marxists.

You know it is funny they pretend to care about workers and yet spend all their time trying to get people fired from their jobs.

Hurray for cancel culture!

Indiferencia Shrug GIF

meanspartan

You know why it was dumb to throw him to the wolves?

Because it's not like now the SJW crowd will be fine with this game. They have decided harry potter is on the burn list due to the author not buying into trans dogmas. The dev gains nothing from this. Pathetic.

They should have just told the gaming media and twitterati to eat shit and ignored them til they got bored and moved onto something else. And so long as the game is at least average, this controversy had guaranteed them strong sales from people who want to send a message to the leftist gaming bubble.

(And no, I don't believe for a second he did this on his own, they pushed him out but let him save face)

Last edited:

meanspartan

People in media (sports, celebs, music, even video game makers) seem to have their entire existence based on social media. Got to tweet or say whatevers on your mind every two hours. Need to get those pats on the back and boost that depressed ego.

Not surprisingly, it gets people in trouble when dumb things are said. And if caught can lead to a dumb apology too.

A cycle of stupidity.

The more reasonable thing to do is just dont do social media or limit it. I dont see all the execs and directors at my company doing Tweets about life or the company. I just did a search right now. The CEO of my company doesn't even have a Twitter account (US guy). Any our Canadian president doesn't have one either. If either do, it's some hidden family one nobody can logically figure out that has nothing to do with the company or politics.

The problem is they never fucking stop even if you apologize. Such that, unless you really did do something wrong, you really shouldn't apologize to appease the mob.

Ah yes shrugging man.gif what a great rebuttal.

Clearly the internet hate mob getting their pitchforks out and writing articles calling out this one employee and shrieking about it across all media had nothing to do with any of this. /s

Last edited:

Zangiefy360

Banned
I look forward to seeing his reason, but it's hard to imagine he did the right thing unless they told him he was gone and were offering a nice payout if he leaves on his own accord.

Everyone right of the purple hairs have to learn and be willing to stand up for themselves. Cancel culture is so effective because its targets fold like a cheap suit every time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Guy's a cunt, fuck em

The worst almost is their success at defining those videos and the individual as far right and anti female. That risks setting precedents.

I bet if you took these videos, which I have not watched, and took the message out people would not hate it until someone told them it sounds like something someone they hate said. No brain power required...

Spokker

It would be great if it was a ruse. "I am resigning from Avalanche Software.. to join WB Games!" And he shows off his bigger office.

Last edited:

decisions

When companies stop giving these people power, it may be too late.

Thanks to Colin as usual for having the fortitude to speak out against these spineless but dangerous movement.

Hopefully there is more to the story as he says.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Why would he get shit from people? Social media is a cancer on our society that has not brought a shred of goodness to the world.
Nah, I use my social media for more important business. It’s one of the best things since slice bread for a lot of businesses!

I’m hoping you were being hyperbolic...

Last edited:
Dude's playing 5D chess. "I'll tell you all what happened.....ON MY NEXT VIDEO. MAKE SURE TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE, etc." You can already see some cucks in this thread and on twitter willing to directly pay him unemployment by subscribing to his Patreon or YouTube or gofund me. He quit his job to live off of Anti-SJW's and then the same people that will now pay him are also going to buy the doodoo Hogwarts game, and Troy won't get any of that money. Guess folks just need to have THICKER SKIN. Since, you know, the dude quit.

Like look at that list of videos and watch some of the archived ones, dude's a nutjob. Those cringey videos are almost as embarrassing as the dude who went out, photoshopped a list of them all together, and cried to twitter and restera because the videos upset him. Block em and move on with your life.

Just L's all around. All over a fucking Harry Potter game.

Over It Sigh GIF by hero0fwar

e&e

Banned
Hardly, it is quite literally tearing our society apart.
I don’t consider social media “society”. Go outside; besides COVID wrecking everything, people are doing ok...
Dude's playing 5D chess. "I'll tell you all what happened.....ON MY NEXT VIDEO. MAKE SURE TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE, etc." You can already see some cucks in this thread and on twitter willing to directly pay him unemployment by subscribing to his Patreon or YouTube or gofund me. He quit his job to live off of Anti-SJW's and then the same people that will now pay him are also going to buy the doodoo Hogwarts game, and Troy won't get any of that money. Guess folks just need to have THICKER SKIN. Since, you know, the dude quit.

Like look at that list of videos and watch some of the archived ones, dude's a nutjob. Those cringey videos are almost as embarrassing as the dude who went out, photoshopped a list of them all together, and cried to twitter and restera because the videos upset him. Block em and move on with your life.

Just L's all around. All over a fucking Harry Potter game.

Over It Sigh GIF by hero0fwar
It’s the grifting of current times. People DO like handouts!

Last edited:

EDMIX

I never understand people who legit do shit like this on social media and then work for companies and then act surprised when shit happens.

If he loves that Youtube channel, let him do that for the rest of his life or something.

xrnzaaas xrnzaaas " if someone wants to destroy you they'll find something to use against you " or they can stop giving those things to use against themselves by not saying those things or not having a social media account...... Theses are situations where people are using other people's own words against them, but they are still their words. If they stand by them, they are free to face everything that comes with those views.

Last edited:
I clicked on a random video of his and took a look.

It was pretty well reasoned, provided sources to substantiate his arguments and was well structured.

Anyone have a link or timestamp of the deeply incriminating material? So far I haven't seen anyone quote anything that's worth starting a witch hunt over.

xrnzaaas

xrnzaaas xrnzaaas " if someone wants to destroy you they'll find something to use against you " or they can stop giving those things to use against themselves by not saying those things or not having a social media account...... Theses are situations where people are using other people's own words against them, but they are still their words. If they stand by them, they are free to face everything that comes with those views.
The society changes constantly. Something that wasn't problematic 5 years ago or in worst cases demanded a simple apology now will be enough to start a crusade against you to ruin your professional career. Who knows how the world will look like in 5-10 years from now. Maybe again something that's okay in today's world will leave you being hunted down for your opinions.

I know that the situation from this thread is about things done in the present, but the principle is the same. If you want to have both your career and your social media accounts the only solution is to try and keep posting VERY neutral stuff. I don't know if that even makes sense to waste your time instead of trying to be yourself.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It was pretty well reasoned, provided sources to substantiate his arguments and was well structured.

Anyone have a link or timestamp of the deeply incriminating material? So far I haven't seen anyone quote anything that's worth starting a witch hunt over.

That is the success or worst part of this idiotic crusade: defining what supposed far right and anti-female is.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
xrnzaaas xrnzaaas xrnzaaas xrnzaaas " if someone wants to destroy you they'll find something to use against you " or they can stop giving those things to use against themselves by not saying those things or not having a social media account...... Theses are situations where people are using other people's own words against them, but they are still their words. If they stand by them, they are free to face everything that comes with those views.
Having an opinion and voicing it should never put you in danger of being fired* from a job.
As long as those opinions are not connected to the job, as was the case here.

* or "asked" to quit the job so all parties can keep face.

Saying "but this is the way things are now" just makes you complicit - might as well join the mob calling for cancellations.

The most idiotic part is that this entire cancel campaign is just a tempest in a teapot. Those magazines simply don't matter anymore - the vast majority of gamers have long stopped reading these magazines (hence them dying left & right) or taking them serious.
What matters nowadays is reaching your audience via YouTubers, streamers, niche communities, etc.
Not giving in to the Twitter mob doesn't have a single negative tangible result.

Unfortunately, too many people in power at publishers are part of the media circlejerk and under the mistaken impression you have to appease blue checkmarks.
When the truth is: you don't.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The society changes constantly. Something that wasn't problematic 5 years ago or in worst cases demanded a simple apology now will be enough to start a crusade against you to ruin your professional career. Who knows how the world will look like in 5-10 years from now. Maybe again something that's okay in today's world will leave you being hunted down for your opinions.

I know that the situation from this thread is about things done in the present, but the principle is the same. If you want to have both your career and your social media accounts the only solution is to try and keep posting VERY neutral stuff. I don't know if that even makes sense to waste your time instead of trying to be yourself.

I don't disagree but shit that argues even more for folks to stay the fuck off of social media if they seek corporate jobs.....

So I agree with your point of keeping post about neutral stuff as I've never seen someone fucking fired over some cat memes or them posting a game trailer hype for a new game or movie etc. When I used to work for Home Depot, I never linked them, never used my real name on any of my social media and they even asked me one time to link it to show support for our store......I didn't lol. When I planned to leave before the Christmas rush, I then added a bunch of co-workers and did my leave. I literally worked their for 4 years paying off my car and college, during that time I NEVER posted about Home Depot, even with the owner of the company being a die hard republican and me being a democrat, I simply didn't give a fuck to entertain any of that, thus never listed it under my social media and kept my shit private. Only after I left did I even add anyone from work for the lolz. From what I see, people ruin a lot of that shit all on their own, you are free to have any view you feel like it, you are not how ever free from all consequence of it. If being yourself means making the company look bad, yea thats a massive no and its always been that way.

Social media is simply another form of the same PR we've seen before. Its not like back then companies just loved pieces of shit making their company look bad or something. When things go viral that can be seen as negative, the company is going to respond. If I have to do all that shit simply to post a view, I won't get mad at the company, i will simply seek another career. Its why I've worked for myself for so long. You are at the mercy of the company you work for. Thats simply the reality of the corporate world.

Having an opinion and voicing it should never put you in danger of being fired* from a job.

It shouldn't, but that is reality. People shouldn't work full time and still be poor in America, all children should have food etc. I'm not saying I disagree with you, simply that its asking for a wish that is unachievable. A single person shouldn't do things that hurt an entire companies image, the company has just as much rights to protect its view and imagine. So that person can still have their views at home, that company is still allowed to fire them for having it, both are able to continue exorcising their rights to protect their interest. The person is able to freely scream their views and be heard, the company is free to not have that person represent their company. It can't be this 1 way street.

Think of it like this..... if those views they are screaming while working for a company cause bad press and they lose business and have to let go people, why should someone else loose their jobs cause this person wants to create a negative image for the company? What about their job? The comments made don't just effect that 1 person losing their job, it can hurt many people in the company that have nothing to do with that shit. So I don't disagree with you that I wish it wasn't a thing, like I wish everyone could share their views, making a livable wage and no one got triggered over anything etc. So it should never happen like companies should never shut down.

As long as those opinions are not connected to the job

Its connected by that person literally working at that job. Thats all it takes. What? Corn Flakes wants to keep a person hired thats a racist? Guess who isn't eating corn flakes or any Kellogg's products? Did it matter that the fucking post was about cereal or not? So they are linked simply by the person being there because that is how the public will see that connection.

ie Local hero saves boy, in his interview moments after saving him he states "So my ass woke up late, I quickly ate some CORN FLAKES and heard someone scream outside, I jumped outside naked as jaybird and leaped into action".

What does saving a child have to do with cereal? Nothing. The man's viral interview and being seen as a local hero will be used by that company, they will have him on the cover of a box and us that viral moment to make his comments a meme. If a connection can be made from that in a positive, clearly something can hurt them that is negative regardless if its connected to the job. The person working for the company is connection enough.

Saying "but this is the way things are now" just makes you complicit

They are free to operate how they feel just. Having a view doesn't mean the company needs to be negatively impacted cause you want to share that all over social media. You are free to spread those views, the company won't stop you, they also won't keep a connection with you by keeping you hired. I'm sorry man but I can't fucking agree with any of that shit. It sounds so entitled and disregards a company still has rights too. You can have those views at home not hired by them, they can fire who they want if their image is hurt. I feel its a fair trade off. Its not like they don't know what they are getting into working for a corporation.

- might as well join the mob calling for cancellations.

Thats like saying "might as well join the mob and start supporting racism" I don't think you agree with the persons views JUST cause you are backing them not being fired. I'm not calling for anyone to be cancelled, I'm also not going to argue that a company NEEDS to keep someone hired that hurts their brand. Both are free to express their views and have rights. (that includes the company)

I agree with the idea of what you are saying, but its not reality, its not even a achievable reality even remotely. Its like me telling you how bad world hunger is, you tell me the reality of the problem and I just state "might as well join the mob starving those kids" and or " just makes you complicit" come on man, lots of things exist that I don't agree with, have no control over and can't really be addressed in modern times. I don't argue with others that they MUST support that thing, be complicit in that thing or anything like that. My god, as a black man, that's like me saying you MUST support racism or you might as well join some racist group if you tell me you can't legislate people's minds.

You can disagree with something morally and also not see a path to legislate it. ie I morally might disagree with guns, that doesn't mean I'm arguing to take yours, doesn't mean I'm supporting a bill to take all guns as we are not going to fucking take 300 million guns out of the united states etc lol I can go on with many examples, but understand I agree with what you are saying as a moral thing as shit I wish it was like that..... clearly its not and my statements about how it currently is is not supporting the concept, its simply addressing its a unrealistic thing to really believe we will have some bill where a company can't fire anyone for any reason even if the person is literally making post to destroy the companies image from within lol

We just don't need this (US VS THEM) type thing going on. Just cause I don't support a company losing their rights to protect their brand, doesn't mean I want people to lose their jobs. To even further that discussion, what bill could even exist that argues no company can fire at will for any reason based on something someone says, does etc?

futurama78

Banned
Money money money MONAY. Yo like world peace?
I don’t think they’re getting fired for image protection. I think it’s a cancel culture battle with quitting techniques.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Here are a lot of the people responsible. According to them, YOU are not allowed an opinion they disagree with:
Evu-3ZWXIAA47w6
The tragic thing here is this media outlets have no idea of what they are talking about. They have not a political side, they don't have an agenda.

They just copypasta an article from other sites with no verification, again and again and again. They are the same people who beg you to give them money for a good journalism and are angry 'cause people aren't able to recognize a fake news.

They give a voice to few idiots and make them important. And this just for clicks. They are the main responsables for this shit.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Think of it like this..... if those views they are screaming while working for a company cause bad press and they lose business and have to let go people,
Its connected by that person literally working at that job. Thats all it takes. What? Corn Flakes wants to keep a person hired thats a racist? Guess who isn't eating corn flakes or any Kellogg's products?
None of this happens, though. It is a myth. A case of "Emperor's New Clothes".

People will protest online and then go about their normal lives to consume the same thing they just protested.
The vast majority of people claiming to boycott anything have either never bought it to begin with or just lie. The rest is so small a fraction it is statistically irrelevant.
And after a month of two of just ignoring the mob, it goes away. Always, without fail and without consequence.

Remember those Chick-Fil-A protests? You know what that lead to?
One outlet had to close down in the UK, the company stopped (for a moment) supporting some groups. That's it.
Otherwise, the company is doing just fine.
And that's almost 10 years of actual on-the-street protests, not some online keyboard warriors or "journalists".

Even more, there's actual evidence that not only ignoring the mob, but actively standing up to the bullies is beneficial to business.
See the cases of Ion Fury. Sense: Cyberpunk Ghost Story, Heartbeat, etc. all of which had a great uptick of sales (or even got known to a larger audience) after taking a stand against the bullying.
There's no such example for cases where developers bent the knee to the mob - simply because people demanding blood are not the target audience and wouldn't have bought it either way.

Positive reinforcement in the eyes of your actual and potential customers does work - negative reinforcement in the eyes of random people online who are not your customers nor target audience does not. These people are irrelevant to your interests as a business.
The idea that you'd lose business over non-customers stirring up shit online and not bowing to them is a falsehood.

Besides, there's also a very, VERY big difference between an actual racist working for a company (which, depending on what the person did, might have even been doing something illegal) and cases like this where activists and bullies just claim a person is all kinds of *isms while none of it is true which anyone would know if they actually watched a video of the guy.

The person is able to freely scream their views and be heard, the company is free to not have that person represent their company. It can't be this 1 way street.
This is not a discussion about law - afaik, in the US people can be fired for whatever reason or no reason at all.
It is a discussion about morality - or rather, the entire lack thereof within gaming media and proponents of cancel culture.

We just don't need this (US VS THEM) type thing going on.
Oh yes, we do. And very much so.

With the US being "people with common sense and tolerance of different opinions" and THEM being "proponents or enactors of cancel culture".

Last edited:

EDMIX

None of this happens, though

I disagree, people many times have no issue not buying a product based on some of the dumbest shit. They are looking out for their bottom-line. Gucci had a sales drop in 2019 when T.I and other rappers called for a boycott , they then went on to issue a bunch of apologies. If it was purely nothing, you would not see those companies doing this shit.

Clearly many times it works ENOUGH for them to react and have PR to be on top of this to maintain a positive image.

Remember those Chick-Fil-A protests?

Yea and remember the boycott on Gucci that had them losing money? Soooooo its not this thing where simply cherry picking when it didn't effect a company suddenly means if I own a fucking company I should ignore something that could lose me money.

What if my company doesn't end up like Chick Fil A?....have you not thought of that? This shit doesn't just exist in some theory for lolz, people lose money over it, so simply giving me an example of when no one got fucked up over it isn't going to make me risk the company image. So thats fine Chick Fil A survived that, I'd simply the person that made a comment that hurt the companies image instead of hoping we make it out like Chick Fiil A.

Don't need to hope when we fucking got rid of the issue....why on earth would it benefit us to keep it and risk losing money? How does that help us even remotely?

This is not a discussion about law

Oh it can be, in order to understand why I have the view I have ,you still need to understand I morally agree with you like I wish it was the case where someone could say their view and couldn't be harmed in terms of their job, but unless you actually have some real actual solution like a law, its simply a wish.

So I might morally wish it was the case, but I also understand everyone isn't everyone's friend....the same universe I'm wishing that to be some law is the same one where I wish everyone didn't lie, steal etc. Someone literally under such a law would be able to go to a rival company and simply say a bunch of racist shit to purposely hurt the company and not be fired...... Thus...morally I wish it was the case along with a set of other wishes, but there is a very logically reason why I'm completely ok wit ha company having those rights. Simply trying to limit the discussion to only "morals" as not to actually address how this isn't even a thing that could be changed only seeks to further ignore realtiy to simply argue about something you personally don't like that literally can not be changed.

Oh yes, we do. And very much so.

smh. Nah bud, we simply don't need any of that shit in this thread. Someone can disagree with you without arguing that they are for cancel culture. Not everything is some either or.

I want the person to be able to say what they want.
I want the company to have the rights to control their company's image.

EDMIX

If this game gets cancelled in any way I will be giga pissed.

I think they will be ok. The fact that the guy quit shows this won't really hurt the game that badly if at all by the time it comes outs. I'm buying it day 1 regardless. I think its release was pushed back a while ago, so by the time it even comes out, I don't think the vast majority will really care if they even know about this story. This is more of a forum thing lol

Until I see this all over mainstream news and my mother or sister talking about it, its pretty much nothing.

Kadayi

Banned
I remember seeing this guys videos back in the day. The idea that they were 'controversial' is pretty hilarious. He basically was tackling AS videos and assessing whether they had any merit. Can't say I've seen any of his latest ones, but they seemed pretty thought out from what I recall.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Thanks for sharing. Watched the whole video.

Its neither toxic nor anti female. He just provided some good points that prove that this whole feminist witch-hunt against heterosexual males gamers is nonsense and that videogames are allright.

Top Bottom