• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

kunonabi

People still look back at Battle Arena Toshinden fondly? Man.......

I get the FF/Crash/Spyro claims, but i mean, as someone who has enjoyed most of Sony's first-party stuff, i think they did a pretty damn good job.

just the original and the gameboy one. The original purely for nostalgia and the GB one for being absolutely hilarious.

not a single game decent PS3 exclusive this year....next year looks hot but this year was a complete letdown. I really have no idea of what Sony was thinking with this....

Also, Starhawk sucks.

btkadams

wow i didn't realize there was so much hate for this game. the review thread was pretty civil.

the characters are awesome and all play differently. so much of the game is fan service for me. i have played all the games that these characters are from, aside from devil may cry.. i wish crash, spyro, and [insert ff character here] were in the game too, but the roster is still great to play.

the level design is also totally awesome. i played the game all weekend with friends and had a blast.

Carl

Neither did I. I had to look them up Toshinden still doesn't ring a bell, but at least I know what Legend of the Dragoon is.

Dart is from Legend of Dragoon, its not that big though the game has most of the big ones in it.

Ahh, i see. Never played it. Name rings a bell, though.

No wonder they were giving it away in the amazon bundles

It's the sort of game it makes sense to bundle. They should be bundling it from now on. It gets people invested with these character and means they might go out and buy the games the characters feature in.

kunonabi

Same here. I don't even have a guess. And the fact that he listed an RE character instead of a specifc one is exactly the problem. The game may be iconic, but not the characters.

I didn't list a specific one because Chris, Jill, Claire, and Leon would all be good choices especially Chris or Jill.

just the original and the gameboy one. The original purely for nostalgia and the GB one for being absolutely hilarious.

Alright, i can respect that. Still, i agree that Dart and Battle Arena wouldn't do much. Hell, i really don't think Crash and Cloud were going to change its fate much. I'm just holding out the budget wasn't huge and they can make money off of a decent line-up of DLC. I'd love for them to get a real budget and a 2nd chance to expand, but i'll take getting the roster to maybe 25-30 and maybe a few new stages, honestly.

KalBalboa

Banned
t i mean, as someone who has enjoyed most of Sony's first-party stuff, i think they did a pretty damn good job.

Agreed. All Stars plays really, really well and is rewarding as sin to sink your teeth into.

I don't even know who Dart and Toshinden are...

Me either, and I grew up on PSone.

The gameplay and online is better than Brawl's, at least. Though Brawl beats it in sheer SP content.

True and true.

wow i didn't realize there was so much hate for this game. the review thread was pretty civil.

the characters are awesome and all play differently. so much of the game is fan service for me. i have played all the games that these characters are from, aside from devil may cry.. i wish crash, spyro, and [insert ff character here] were in the game too, but the roster is still great to play.

the level design is also totally awesome. i played the game all weekend with friends and had a blast.

I feel the reason for this is, the reviews for the most part were good, not great, and really had no place for the people who don't like the game to get material to jump on. Reviews were not bad enough for them to laugh and throw it back at fans, but not so insanely good they could call bullshit on them. Though thats my 2 cents.

Takao

Banned
Toshinden is a series of janky 3D fighting games made by Takara Tomy. It's only notable because the first one was a launch title for the PS1 in the west, and was used as a checklist tool for the fighting genre in Sony's arsenal.

Dart is from Legend of Dragoon, a late-era PS1 RPG made by Sony internally. It's notable because, well fuck, Sony never made many RPGs internally and sold well. A sequel was in development for PS2 but got the axe.

not a single game decent PS3 exclusive this year....next year looks hot but this year was a complete letdown. I really have no idea of what Sony was thinking with this....

Also, Starhawk sucks.

2013 was going to be a dead year, we knew this for a good while. sony's studios have been gearing up for ps4 and vita to a lesser extent, we already know what the last batch of sony games for the ps3 is gonna be. last of us, rain, puppeteer, until dawn and god of war. edit: sly4 and beyond too.
edit: this is totally off-topic, but i was pleasantly surprised to hear that until dawn is using the killzone engine. i think it might turn out to be a nice horror game.

I don't get the complaints about the roster. Smash Bros. started out with only 12 fighters. It takes a long time to develop and balance that many unique playable characters. I don't see any glaring omissions either. Apart from 3rd party stuff which is absent for obvious reasons.

kunonabi

Alright, i can respect that. Still, i agree that Dart and Battle Arena wouldn't do much. Hell, i really don't think Crash and Cloud were going to change its fate much. I'm just holding out the budget wasn't huge and they can make money off of a decent line-up of DLC. I'd love for them to get a real budget and a 2nd chance to expand, but i'll take getting the roster to maybe 25-30 and maybe a few new stages, honestly.

The thing is the game should have been a mix of current franchises and the ones that shaped the playstation early on. That way newer sony fans get characters they are familiar and older fans like me who may have tuned out modern day sony get representatives as well. Instead we get shit like fat princess, Not Dante, Big Daddy, and Evil Cole McGrath.

I feel the reason for this is, the reviews for the most part were good, not great, and really had no place for the people who don't like the game to get material to jump on. Reviews were not bad enough for them to laugh and throw it back at fans, but not so insanely good they could call bullshit on them. Though thats my 2 cents.

I was about to say much the same thing. Whichever way you look at it, its a very odd mindset to have towards a game. Its not exactly PS3 Skyrim, which deserves all the hate it gets.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
People still look back at Battle Arena Toshinden fondly? Man.......

I don't think it's as much people looking back fondly on Toshinden as the game was never particularly good anyway, but in the early days of the PS1 it was marketed as a 'killer app' alongside Ridge Racer, which is why a lot of old PS fans still remember it.

As for Dart, I had no idea who that was. Can't imagine there are a lot of people outside the internet who really care about Legend of the Dragoon.

Emitan

I didn't even realize that it debuted worse that Sonic Racing. That's an even greater accomplishment that a game with series that sell a lot more than the ones found in Sonic Racing did worse.

Sonic Racing is my biggest surprise this year. Completely surprised at how fucking fun it is.

I knew this game would bomb even though its better than I thought it would be. I really dont get it'll reach 1 million with bundles. If its packaged with another product for free are those really sales?

Jamie OD

Wow, Toshindon. I remember that. First fighting game I played that had Ring Outs, not that I thought that was a spectacular idea or anything at the time. And I think the Game Boy Color version was a surprisingly decent game.

The thing is the game should have been a mix of current franchises and the ones that shaped the playstation early on. That way newer sony fans get characters they are familiar and older fans like me who may have tuned out modern day sony get representatives as well. Instead we get shit like fat princess, Not Dante, Big Daddy, and Evil Cole McGrath.

Not that the arguement hasn't been had a million times, but look passed Crash and Spyro, and you have quite a few good PS1-era reps:
Spike (Ape Escape)
Heihachi (Tekken)
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Sir Dan (Medievil)
Parappa (Parappa)

Also, i really wish they had just told Capcom to fuck off with Dante at this point. I feel it just hurt them more having Not Dante around then not having Dante in at all.

Loudninja

I knew this game would bomb even though its better than I thought it would be. I really dont get it'll reach 1 million with bundles. If its packaged with another product for free are those really sales?
Umm yes they are what else would they be?

You still have to pay for that product.

Sissel

i guess the gameloft model didn't work out for them.
image.php

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think the presentation in the game is amazingly crude, to the point it's comical, but I actually feel it has a decent amount of content. There are a lot of trials and challenges to go through; it's just that everything seems focused mainly on the core gameplay rather than like, mini-game modes and such.

In terms of hype factor, I do think lacking characters such as Solid Snake and yes, probably Cloud, didn't do the game any favors. The roster it has is good. But it's not fully iconic Playstation and is missing a few too many major characters.

Plus it has a bit of an air of pure marketing tool that's distasteful. putting DmC Dante in, from a game that's not even out yet rather than DMC1 Dante. Putting a Bioshock Infinite stage rather than a Rapture stage... these things speak of using it purely as a vehicle for promotion rather than giving fans what they want to see. Smash Bros. has done this too, like including Fire Emblem characters to promote FE in the west - but at least those were from established, storied series that fans would appreciate.

A shittier version of smash bros releasing at the end of the third placed consoles life cycle, attempting to cater to an audience that was never interested.

38th is a good effort.

In light of expectations you're probably right, no one was really interested or expected anything great tbh.

Cipherr

This isn't surprising to me at all. I had a strong feeling it would happen from the first time I saw it. We will see when it hits other territories, but I'm not expecting much at all from the game.

Was still good for a laugh though, lord have mercy Ill never forget that first time they showed it live. That thread was nuts, I nearly laughed myself into a coma.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
This isn't surprising to me at all. I had a strong feeling it would happen from the first time I saw it. We will see when it hits other territories, but I'm not expecting much at all from the game.

Was still good for a laugh though, lord have mercy Ill never forget that first time they showed it live. That thread was nuts, I nearly laughed myself into a coma.

It'll probably do even worse in the US than in EU, and Japan isn't gonna give half a shit about it.

Shaffield

I guess they just overestimated the nostalgia the fanbase feels for all of their timeless Playstation characters

like Cole

or

Evil Cole

or

Big Daddy

10607.JPG

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Can't say I didn't see this coming.

I'm sure Crash, Spyro, and either Cloud or Sephiroth would've helped sales a bit.

Top Bottom