• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

Frillen

But if it doesn't sell 1 million in one day it's a bomba, didn't you know?

Don't tell me you're actually defending the fact that this title debuted at 38th place. Just stop please, you don't have to defend everything that's Sony.

DyTonic said:
UK gaming just sounds dull.

I've been following the PAL charts for 5+ years now, and the UK pretty much has the exact same taste as the Americans. Except swap out FIFA with Madden.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Don't tell me you're actually defending the fact that this title debuted at 38th place. Just stop please, you don't have to defend everything that's Sony.

What's most amazing about this is that CoDBlops: Declassified outsold it.

How.

Why.

I don't even.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sony way overestimated the value of Playstation nostalgia.
Like Big Daddy, Rising Raiden and new Dante.... Sony bros is a playable trailer for upcoming games.

Real talk the game may be good (dunno really) but the character roster looks like it was chosen by the Marketing Department.
I mean Big Daddy over Ico? Really?

Carl

What i said is a fact. Something can chart at the bottom on its first week and still sell well. Not doing 1 million in one day doesn't automatically make it a bomba.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It gets people invested with these character and means they might go out and buy the games the characters feature in.

Yeah, because that worked for Captain Falcon and F-Zero, right?

SniperHunter said:
Also, Starhawk sucks.

If a beta falls in the forest and no one is around, does this really make it news?

Everyone knows that, dude. The beta showed it day one and they did nothing to fix it. Kinda similar to this, but this was more a demo instead of a beta that had time to fix the issues.

Releasing a beta of this game was probably the worst decision they made.

JuliaRobertsLaughsAtHerself.gif

No, that was the best thing they ever did. It just confirmed they didn't have a solid foundation and the only thing they were doing different was having a fighting game "Super" bar be the KO mechanic.

Elios83

Sony way overestimated the value of Playstation nostalgia.

Considering the character roster it's quite the opposite. They should have put in Crash, Lara Croft, more Tekken characters, Solid Snake, Cloud, Squall.
Instead we got the Big Daddy :D
Btw this game was sent to die, it was too weak to be released in such a crowded period.
No wonder that Wonderbook is the most successful SCE title this holiday season :p and people laughed at that.

What i said is a fact. Something can chart at the bottom on its first week and still sell well. Not doing 1 million in one day doesn't automatically make it a bomba.

Well if Sony gives away half a million copies of the game with other things its clearly not a bomba. They could probably the PS3 version as two sales! Put me down for two.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's a bomba by standard gamer definition. Most expected mid to lower top ten for a high profile Sony release... Maybe top 15.
It's possible that it will do well in the long run, but at 38th in the first week..... Really unlikely.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
people don't honestly think this would have done better if crash, etc were in this

Probably not, but it would've at least been more accepted as a genuine nostalgia trip for PS fans rather than the marketing tool for upcoming games it currently seems to be

Frillen

No, but selling 2k-4k in its opening launch week is pretty damn bad. Right now we're talking about this game's opening performane, not whether it will have legs or not in the future. And seeing how little Sony care for this title, I actually doubt it will have the legs of a first party title, especially when the debut is that horrible bad.

BearPawB

Banned
People aren't buying it because they don't like the characters.
They aren't buying it because its not a good value. Half the price downloadable title? Sure, id buy it. They miscalculated by making this a retail product.

LuchaShaq

Banned
This is actually higher than I would have expected.

Haven't seen anyone outside of a certain ahem...group even have a passing interest in this game.

Unless the budget is extrodinarily tiny and the popularity/hype for it exoplodes post release this is completely false.

The vast majority of non sports/non huge franchise games sell most of their lifetime in the first 2 months.

So unless Sony had the entire game developed in the third world this is real bad.

Didn't this just go on sale this past Friday in the UK? This represents just 3 days at most for sales not sure at what point they compile the numbers. A little premature for bomba statements. Just putting it into perspective.

Well if Sony gives away half a million copies of the game with other things its clearly not a bomba. They could probably the PS3 version as two sales! Put me down for two.

Giving away download codes and counting them as sales if the person uses the code or not is shady and padding numbers. I would have bought the system without this game included anyway.

Anyone really think this was going to sell? It had disaster written all over it.

No matter how good it was, the Sony mascots and random IP characters did not have the history of other fighters or pull of Nintendo mascots.

The game looks fun though, but yea it had no chance in hell

JazzmanZ

can't say i'm surprised.

Wal-mart I went to had the vita copy for $39.99 and the PS3 one was $59.99

if they're crossplay why are they both priced differently?

Loudninja

can't say i'm surprised.

Wal-mart I went to had the vita copy for $39.99 and the PS3 one was $59.99

if they're crossplay why are they both priced differently?
The PS3 version included both copies.

Why are people shocked? Activision (Crash, Spyro) and Square Enix (FF ) wouldn't let Sony use their characters.
This has been said time and time again and yet people still cant grasp it.

Why are people shocked? Activision (Crash, Spyro) and Square Enix (FF ) wouldn't let Sony use their characters.

Oh they would have for sure let them use em if Sony would have ponied up the cash. Instead they went for the cheap characters that the others willingly allowed since it was easy advertising.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
well it was to be expected. I don't think they ever expected it to replicate Smash' success, but still. The popularity of such characters is just nonexistant. Not enough for people to buy a fighting game based on it, at least

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I dunno why the game did so badly on its launch week, but then I had no idea it was due to be out about now. I have not seen a single TV ad for it, and I've seen loads of 3DS and Vita ads.

I do think they dropped the ball on the roster a bit. Having genuine vintage Sony characters like PaRappa, Sir Daniel and Spike was a good effort (and Polygon Man is a HUGE nod to obscure videogame nostalgia) but not having Spyro, Crash, Cloud or "real" Metal Gear Solid/Devil May Cry characters is a bit pants.

...I wonder if it would have done better if they were able to license a FIFA/Madden player as an exclusive to their respective western region? I mean if Sega can license a NASCAR racer for their mascot racing game then anything is kosher in these lineups.

Didn't this just go on sale this past Friday in the UK? This represents just 3 days at most for sales not sure at what point they compile the numbers. A little premature for bomba statements. Just putting it into perspective.

Ya, the game was released on the 23rd and this chart is for the "week ending November 24".
Don't know why someone would be dumb enough to make a thread like this without looking at release dates.

Hanmik

Seth Killian ....

All-Stars' biggest problem isn't how it looks, although that is a problem. It isn't that it comes off as a Smash Bros. clone, although that's a problem, too (“In some ways I wish it was just a Smash rip-off because people really love Smash, and to have it on a Sony system would be great”) It's biggest problem is that the promotional videos and gameplay footage shown ahead of its release was of party mode, the four-player free-for-all smash 'em up game type that looks about as refined and strategic as a scramble for a cheap phone on Black Friday.

The game's one versus one and two versus two modes have gone almost unnoticed. In these modes, Seth says, fighting game fans will find the deep, strategic fighting game experience every bit as satisfying as what they're used to from the usual suspects.

“The free for all is where it gets a little bit more random and there are elements of variance, which has been one of our struggles, because that's all we show,” he says. “We just show people ping-ponging off each other and it looks random. While somebody's trying to do something serious somebody comes in and snakes him in the back, and that looks like bulls**t and everybody gets upset.

“That's the joy and the sadness of free for all. It's a great mode for people at varying skill levels. Even if you never win you always feel like you got your licks in, unlike a Street Fighter, where if you're really outclassed you know it and you feel it very painfully throughout the whole match.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...le-royale?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Khezu

No matter how good the combat is, everything else about the game looks like shovelware, the cover, the roster, the graphics style, the music, the presentation, the menus, its all a huge turnoff to me.

I do hope it does well enough to get a sequel, I think further refinement could result in a really good game.

Top Bottom