• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

holy shit holy shit I slept through my mid-term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

MIMIC said:
Heh...that's the section I'm studying right now :p (I'm reviewing Perceptual Constancies...and on "size constancy.")

I'm moving onto consciousness in a second...having two midterms today and being off to Newfoundland over the weekend, I'm morbidly fucked for this psych midterm. Joyous.

Jumpman

IJoel said:
This really doesn't work for Math & Science related degrees. Unless you consider a passing grade 'doing well', in which case, yes, it is achievable. Or, you are a genius...

Edit: Heck, this probably doesn't work for a lot of courses that require tons of research.

It works for me. :) In fact, I'm relaxed all the time. I never take notes. I rarely involve myself in class discussions. I seldom ask questions. My "study time" is almost exclusively limited to assigned work. Despite all this, I have no trouble maintaining my 4.0. :D It drives my friends crazy that I consistently get the highest test scores in the class without really putting in much effort. I just come to class every day on time and I let my memory do the rest.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Jumpman said:
It works for me. :) In fact, I'm relaxed all the time. I never take notes. I rarely involve myself in class discussions. I seldom ask questions. My "study time" is almost exclusively limited to assigned work. Despite all this, I have no trouble maintaining my 4.0. :D It drives my friends crazy that I consistently get the highest test scores in the class without really putting in much effort. I just come to class every day on time and I let my memory do the rest.
Bah - f*ck you.

..but really. Everybody has their own methods.
I'm of the procrastinate-cram-like-crazy-before-exam type. It works well for me and I've never gotten a mark under a B, ever. This method usually works better for memory-courses (e.g. psychology, computer theory, sociology, history, etc.). For courses that actually require some thinking (e.g. math, english, computer programming, chemistry, physics, etc.), it's usually better to work hard everyday and not leave things til the last minute...

I agree with the 'be cool before the exam though'. Even if I'm not completely done studying, I'll often just chill to some music and take a walk rigth before the exam - it really works for me.

Most of my classes fall under the thinking category (damn my engineering major).
To stay ontop of things, you not only have to memorize the material, but also understand it and use it for any problem that is presented. I TOTALLY agree with the relaxing before the exam thing. I have a ritual where i casually study for an exam for about a week and the couple hours before the exam i play some Worms to calm the nerves. (By the way, i'm a nervous wreck right now, DAMN CALCULUS!!!.)

Bowser

Not in college yet (junior in high school), but I'll be damned if I hate a class more than AP US History. SO MUCH FUCKING WORK. And the tests are hard as shit, not to mention we have to write a two-page essay along with it. It's hard to maintain an A in that class (in fact, this girl and I are the only two people in our class of 22-24 that have an A), you almost can't afford to slack. I always end up procrastinating, but I end up usually getting between 87%-90% on the tests, which is DAMN good for my teacher's tests. We have to do stupid reading logs, but thank god she only checks those for completion and they count as a third test grade; easy 100 that improves my grade immensly :D

Mashing

History is hard, but it helps if you have an interest in History as I do.... then again I took US History at a junior college so the challenge is not going to be the same. The tests were hard though... I can't stand essay tests.

Bowser said:
Not in college yet, but I'll be damned if I hate a class more than AP US History. SO MUCH FUCKING WORK. And the tests are hard as shit, not to mention we have to write a two-page essay along with it. It's hard to maintain an A in that class (in fact, this girl and I are the only two people in our class of 22-24 that have an A), you almost can't afford to slack. I always end up procrastinating, but I end up usually getting between 87%-90% on the tests, which is DAMN good for my teacher's tests. We have to do stupid reading logs, but thank god she only checks those for completion and they count as a third test grade; easy 100 that improves my grade immensly :D

why did you take AP US history? You could take the community college version of it and get an easier A. Not only that, state universities will most likely give you course credits for the class, which isn't a sure thing with APs.

Oh well, if anything, it is a good preparation for college.

Shinobi

I use the TV as my primary alarm, with the volume set high. Also got the two alarms on my clock radio set three and six minutes after, just in case.

Socreges

Banned
Ok, cool. I've got a paper due for friday now. But of course, expectations are now raised over what would have been appropriate for the in-class essay.

Matlock

Banned
I use my alarm clock and my computer. Hearing "The Rooster" at a volume loud enough to hear each in a 3 dorm room radius (thick walls, too) tends to wake you up.

you only lost 25%? That means you can still shoot for a C, right? Sure, you'd have to bust ass and be perfect pretty much the rest of the semester but...fuck it just drop the class and take it again.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I almost slept in and was late for miy midterm today. For some reason I woek up an hour BEFORE i had to actually get up.. but i just layed in bed, then my alarm rang, i hit the sleep button NOW i finally fall back to sleep and i wake up 45 minutes later, no more alrams... for some reason my alarm stopped ringing. ANyways I had to rush out of the dorr and I made it to the class like 2 minutes late only.

My body does this weird thing where I wake up on time whether or not my alarm is set, no matter what time I go to bed or how tired I am. I'm a night owl (obviously, as I'm typing this at 4:30 AM), and I normally need 8 or 9 hours of sleep a night. I sleep like a rock. The building could be on fire and I still wouldn't wake up. My school and work schedule is such that I can sleep until 12 or 1 in the afternoon practically every day. But if I'm scheduled an odd shift and have to be at work at 7 in the morning, I still automatically wake up just in time to get there on time, even if I go to bed at 4 AM and normally wouldn't wake up for another 5 hours.

I still have nightmares about sleeping through midterms, almost five years since I graduated college. I never did sleep through a midterm, actually, which makes the paranoia all the more strange.

Good you got that cleared up. Generally the leniency of the professor is dependent upon how often you showed up for class. Good attendance = plenty o' slack.

Overseer

And the reason I always use an alarm clock is that. If I didn't have the alarm clock I would sleep through the entire game. If you don't have an alarm clock then get Bawls. :D

Frag, same here. I have endless dreams about missing important classes and sleeping through tests, even though I'm 7 years out of college.

On the other hand, I actually DID skip important classes and sleep through midterms/finals during my college tenure. Bluntly put, my pants needed to be washed regularly.

Rix-jump-AP.jpg

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
fart said:
pfft. i have dreams about missing entire terms.

I'm six years out of university and I also still have this type of dream along with the whole missing an exam, or going through an exam and not being able to answer a single question.

Actually, one time I *totally* forgot about a midterm exam for Software Engineering. I walked into class and the prof handed me a booklet - I chuckle and say "What is this for?" He gives me a look, shakes his head and walks away, I turn the corner (I was a few minutes late for class), and *everybody* is already at class, in their seats writing furiously. It finally dawns on me that, yup, this is an exam, yeah I'm in the right class, and holy crap, I didn't study a drop over the weekend. Needless to say, I felt like throwing up :( and the temperature instantly shot up 50 degrees.

To make a long story short, after I calmed down, stopped hyperventilating, and flipped through the exam 10 times, I finally got started. It was a good thing that the exam was all long answer crap and I guess I must have paid attention in class as I pulled off an A thankfully. Although, it did make me wonder what I was paying for - regardless, I wasn't complaining. I sure did get razzed by my friends in the class though until we got our results.

Now I get to work until I'm 60 or so - spending 10 hours a day making somebody else rich, come home, make supper, eat supper, clean up, 2 or 3 hours free time, go to bed and wake up to start it all over again. There are not enough hours in day, 2 days are not enough for a weekend, and working for a living kinda sucks unless you are doing something you love (that way it doesn't feel like work). At least I'm doing something I kinda love, but I think I need a change.

Alright, I'm done whining.

I nearly pulled the same thing freshman year. I was up until around 6am studying for a final that started at freaking 8 am (I read like 12 chapters of Mythology in one night...had to be like 300 pages). I can usually get up real easily with only 1.5 hours of sleep, but I completely slept through my alarm (or shut it off in a tired haze). Luckily my dad called me for some reason at like 8:15 am, so I was able to get to class around half an hour late. The test was only an hour test and we had 2 and a half hours to do it, so it ended up working out fine.

That sucks actually missing a test, though. I wouldn't know what to do...

I've missed a whole day of work once. I actually woke up at a time where I could get there a half hour late, but I decided "Fuck it" and I just slept the rest of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom