• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home Brewing |OT| - The tastiest thing that will ever come from your bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsayer

Brewed up a brown ale this past weekend, this is the 3rd iteration of it. We tweaked the recipe a little bit to give it a maltier backbone and upped the ABV from 5.1 to 5.8, hit our numbers spot on. Once it finishes up we are going to add coffee to it, as we always do. We are going to take a gallon and add age it on some oak for about a week as well, just to see what it will add.

The NEIPA is bottled up and drinking really, really awesome. I'll open another one today and post some pictures. This is definitely the best version of it we've made.

kotodama

So the Pliny the elder clone turned out really great :)

Now I have to somehow drink up the 20 liters of 8% beer i made ^^;

Send some over, I'll help lol.

Brewed up a brown ale this past weekend, this is the 3rd iteration of it. We tweaked the recipe a little bit to give it a maltier backbone and upped the ABV from 5.1 to 5.8, hit our numbers spot on. Once it finishes up we are going to add coffee to it, as we always do. We are going to take a gallon and add age it on some oak for about a week as well, just to see what it will add.

The NEIPA is bottled up and drinking really, really awesome. I'll open another one today and post some pictures. This is definitely the best version of it we've made.

Helped a friend move last week and inherited his NEIPA, the bucket, and the airlock it came with. I kegged it three days ago. Definitely less juicy than the prevailing trend, but good nonetheless. Definitely screwed up my brew schedule, but whatever.

Also inherited 5 gallons of Concord Grape reduction, which I've pitched 2 packets of White Labs Champagne Yeast on top off. I'm not a Vintner, but it'll be fun to experiment on.

As for my own, just tried my Steamtoberfest Bier and it is pretty much to the BJCP Festbier style for something that was hot fermented and then lagered, so I'm pretty happy with it. Aroma and flavor notes are appropriate for something that is basically just Pilsner malts and Oktoberfest yeast. Oh yeah, naturally carbonated to about 10 PSI apparently, which saves me some tank CO2 I guess (not like that's expensive).

My Faketoberfest Kolsch is lagering now - it finished out really nicely at 1.012 so I am just letting it clear for a few weeks. I also tapped my blueberry hefeweizen and that beer is great! Subtle blueberry flavor, really tasty.

I've got a beerfest in a few weeks that hosts a table for local homebrewers. Over the years, I've developed a reputation as the guy who brews something weird. Sour chile beers or beer made from Mountain Dew or breakfast cereal. This year, I'm going for a historic style: cock ale. It's basically an English strong ale flavored with dates, mace, cloves, sweet sack wine... and a whole chicken. Should be interesting.

How are you guys oxygenating your wort?
Personally, I don't. I use a bigass stirred starter for everything instead. If given a sufficiently oxygen rich environment, yeast will put on enough sterol reserves for multiple generations. If you do that in the starter, there's much less of a need in the actual beer.

Anyone here brew on a Picobrew Zymatic? I've been leaning more and more toward selling off my electric brew rig in favor of the Zymatic, mainly for the time savings. I have another kid on the way and it's hard to do a full brew day with cleanup on my current (admittedly super rad) system.

afroguy10

Had to chuck out my latest batch of mead...

I'd left a little too much headroom when ageing, tasted like wet cardboard when I tried it the other week. Was gonna be lovely as well, a warming cinnamon vanilla mead made with orange blossom honey just in time for the festive season. Would've been quite dry as well as I managed to get it up to about 19% ABV.

I'm gutted so I'm gonna have to take a wee break and think of what I'll brew next and this time I'll add more marbles to top up the demijohn when I'm ageing it, leave as little headroom as physically possible.

Had to chuck out my latest batch of mead...

I'd left a little too much headroom when ageing, tasted like wet cardboard when I tried it the other week. Was gonna be lovely as well, a warming cinnamon vanilla mead made with orange blossom honey just in time for the festive season. Would've been quite dry as well as I managed to get it up to about 19% ABV.

I'm gutted so I'm gonna have to take a wee break and think of what I'll brew next and this time I'll add more marbles to top up the demijohn when I'm ageing it, leave as little headroom as physically possible.

I had a bad batch of honey wheat a while ago - electric element fried and burnt my wort. Gave it to a friend who works for a distillery and he distilled it down to a whiskey that he said will be pretty good!

afroguy10

I had a bad batch of honey wheat a while ago - electric element fried and burnt my wort. Gave it to a friend who works for a distillery and he distilled it down to a whiskey that he said will be pretty good!

Sounds pretty awesome actually, great way to turn a bad situation into a good one!

MacBosse

Hello fellas,

sorry for highjackin' the thread somewhat. I didn't find a dedicated whisky thread so I'm giving it a go in here.

I have a sweet spot for Highland Park whisky and two of the sorts I'm trying to find isn't on the market in Sweden. Highland Park Magnus is only sold in North America and Highland Park Dragon Legend is only sold in the UK.

Anyone here willing to help a gaffer out? Buy and ship?

Stay cool fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom