• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moxie - America’s Great, Forgotten Beverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
What a great OP. I don't even give a shit about soda and I loved reading it. Good job Bagels.

Thanks! I always love the challenge of trying to get people interested in things they never thought they'd be interested in.

How bad could it be?

It's amazingly bad. I *think* it's the first diet soda ever and apparently they have worked a lot on that technology since.

I always see it in the super market but never had the urge to try it. I think I will the next time I go shopping thanks to you.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Having spent a significant amount of summers in Maine growing up, I have had the displeasure of being coerced into trying this abomination several times over the years.
Every so often someone would convince me it was just an issue of age, and that I didn't appreciate it because I hadn't been old enough at the time.

This is untrue in every way shape and form . Moxie is the devil's precum. It is the rank juices left when a bloated corpse sits in 100% humidity slowly melting into a nightmare cocktail of flesh and bile.

Mechazawa

Author EB White famously remarked that, “Moxie contains gentian root which is the key to the good life.” I have no clue what the fuck that means, but it is intuitively correct. If you are going to have a good life, you know there will be roots involved.

You have a way with the words, Bagel.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

OnPoint

I have a friend who is obsessed with this stuff.

I'm pretty ho-hum on it myself. It's not something I'd choose to drink in the future.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Snagged the last bottle in the city. People must have been stocking up for bizarre Super Bowl parties.

MLv2QzV.jpg

fester

Banned
I've all but sworn off soda, but will gladly make an exception to try Moxie if I ever come across it. Noticed Amazon sells this conveniently for $30/12 pack (+$24.85 shipping), but would rather pay my electric bill.

Also, Moxie...jelly?

SirCheese

I love trying different soft drinks. Wonder if you can buy this anywhere in Vancouver. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I love trying different soft drinks. Wonder if you can buy this anywhere in Vancouver. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

My great aunt used to bootleg whiskey across the Canadian border, down to Maine, during Prohibition. There has to be Moxie flowing the other direction, right?

Orca Beverages bottles Moxie in Seattle. Some of that has to make it up to Vancouver.

Ok, so I tried it out a couple of weeks ago and I liked it. Then didn't like it. Then liked it. I think. I'm going to get more this weekend. Is this how the Moxie addiction begins?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I looked up Hires because you mentioned it, and I now I remember we used to get that when I was a kid. That's the logo and coloring I think of when I think of rootbeer, and I never realized that it wasn't just an older logo for Mug or A&W or something. I used to love that stuff, I'm going to have to see if I can get my hands on any.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Nothing says Summer like a nice cold Moxie!

I brought 18 bottles to a potluck at work as part of my effort to get Moxie named our official company beverage. I printed out the OP, edited slightly for content, and put a stack of them on my desk, under my "Ted Williams says 'Make Mine Moxie!'" sign.

The Moxie buzz was palpable in Southern Indiana, to say the least.

Of the ~20 people who tried Maine's official soft drink, I'd say one became an instant fan. I sent him home with a bottle as he wanted to experiment with making Moxie jerky.

One coworker was almost comically disgusted after a small sip. Her later question to me was, "So is this supposed to be a soft drink?"

What was most interesting was that most people were actually mildly positive about it. In the past, I have found Moxie to be a "love it or hate it" flavor, like black licorice. Now, I'm finding more people who think it's ok, but are in no rush to get their hands on any more.

All 18 bottles were either consumed or sent home for spouses to try, so I guess that counts as a success!

I ordered bottled Moxie from Beverages direct and I found the flavor milder than I remembered. I don't know if it has to do with the use of real sugar instead of corn syrup, or an Obama-lead conspiracy to lower the gentian root content to keep Americans' brains softer. Either way, I need to get my hands on some cans of Moxie now to know for sure.

We're driving out to Maine this summer for vacation, which means I can load up the car with fresh Moxie to bring back to the Moxie-starved Midwest.

So this is the root of 'Vim' in the Fallout 4 dlc Far Harbour? Have'nt had a root beer type drink for many, many years. Can't remember if I like them or not.

Africanus

Nothing says Summer like a nice cold Moxie!

I brought 18 bottles to a potluck at work as part of my effort to get Moxie named our official company beverage. I printed out the OP, edited slightly for content, and put a stack of them on my desk, under my "Ted Williams says 'Make Mine Moxie!'" sign.

The Moxie buzz was palpable in Southern Indiana, to say the least.

Of the ~20 people who tried Maine's official soft drink, I'd say one became an instant fan. I sent him home with a bottle as he wanted to experiment with making Moxie jerky.

One coworker was almost comically disgusted after a small sip. Her later question to me was, "So is this supposed to be a soft drink?"

What was most interesting was that most people were actually mildly positive about it. In the past, I have found Moxie to be a "love it or hate it" flavor, like black licorice. Now, I'm finding more people who think it's ok, but are in no rush to get their hands on any more.

All 18 bottles were either consumed or sent home for spouses to try, so I guess that counts as a success!

I ordered bottled Moxie from Beverages direct and I found the flavor milder than I remembered. I don't know if it has to do with the use of real sugar instead of corn syrup, or an Obama-lead conspiracy to lower the gentian root content to keep Americans' brains softer. Either way, I need to get my hands on some cans of Moxie now to know for sure.

We're driving out to Maine this summer for vacation, which means I can load up the car with fresh Moxie to bring back to the Moxie-starved Midwest.

As an Chicagoan, I do hope I might try this Moxie one day. In Nigeria we have a similar conteoversial drink, Malta, that some Americans either like or hate entirely.

noquarter

Damn the bump.

I was supposed to be going to Connecticut this weekend and had to cancel. Now I have a strange craving for a Moxie. It is a strange drink that I probably couldn't finish all of a 20oz, but I do want to taste it.

Wait, seriously? There is a Moxie reference in Far Harbor???
There is a distillery that makes a drink called 'Vim' which you can find all over the island. And as Moxie is derived from having vim or vigour and as Far Harbour has a fair bit of a Maine Island feel to it I guess it is a reference.

Hinchy

Not from Maine, but New Hampshire's close enough. And fuck I miss Moxie so much. I've wanted so badly to order some but it's too damn expensive.

Teggy

So this is the root of 'Vim' in the Fallout 4 dlc Far Harbour? Have'nt had a root beer type drink for many, many years. Can't remember if I like them or not.

Yes, that had to be the intention. And the most popular version in game smells like seawater and fog or something lol.

Sanjuro

Used to have some original Ted Williams signage advertising for Moxie.

I still see it around, but I honestly haven't had one since I was maybe six years old.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
There is a distillery that makes a drink called 'Vim' which you can find all over the island. And as Moxie is derived from having vim or vigour and as Far Harbour has a fair bit of a Maine Island feel to it I guess it is a reference.

Far Harbor = Bar Harbor, a famous resort town in Maine, so it makes sense. I'm still really surprised to hear of a nod to Moxie! Well done, Bethesda!

Not from Maine, but New Hampshire's close enough. And fuck I miss Moxie so much. I've wanted so badly to order some but it's too damn expensive.

It's not too bad from drinkmoxie.com or Beverages Direct. The latter has free shipping if you spend $40. You can also look on amazon or ebay for resellers. $2/can or $2.50/bottle is not that bad, in my opinion.

Used to have some original Ted Williams signage advertising for Moxie.

I still see it around, but I honestly haven't had one since I was maybe six years old.

I put up the reproduction sign in my cubicle at work. It's a good way to meet people who grew up in New England. I actually had someone drop by who spent his childhood summers in Maine. He got my last bottle from this shipment. I figure i'll keep my desk drawer stocked in the future!

Jenov

Nice OP, fun to read :) If you're interested in odd beverages maybe try some of the malted ones. When I visited Miami there was a drink called Malta that some of the locals liked. It seemed like such an obscure drink and had such a unique taste, your write up reminded me of it.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I haven't had a soda in over twenty years, but gotdamn if I don't feel obligated to track me down some Moxie after reading this thread. LOL

Machine

They probably changed the formula in some way to save money. I grew up drinking Vernors and the version they sell today is a pale imitation of what I had as a kid. Vernors used to have a very strong ginger taste and was heavily carbonated. Now it is very flat and mild. I wish they would come out with a "classic" version that was more like the kind I grew up with. Changes in ownership and cost-cutting seem to cause problems for legacy foods and drinks.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I wonder if I can order this via Amazon?

The real question is, will sarsaparilla make a comeback?

There are resellers on Amazon. Price ends up $2/can.

Drink Moxie is the official site, with a store. Two twelve packs of cans is $9, but shipping is an additional $14 (liquids are heavy!). Still, that's less than a buck a can.

Beverages Direct has bottles of Moxie with real sugar. 12 bottles is $27. You need to spend $40 to get free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom