• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution (Crytek/DS, open world, co-op), XB1/PS4/PC, 2015, Trailer

elcapitan

The premise was silly then and still is now. I'd say it'd be more interesting if America were the invaders and we incited revolution in another country, but that would never fly in the market.

Corto

The premise was silly then and still is now. I'd say it'd be more interesting if America were the invaders and we incited revolution in another country, but that would never fly in the market.

Beyond Two Souls had a pretty good Chapter dealing with something similar. Not full on invasion though.

People need to understand that when someone makes a game about aliens or time traveling cowboys taking over the USA it's so ridiculous and in it's own universe that it works fine. However, when you take our own existing universe and tweak it only slightly to some alternate reality and present it in a very serious manner, then it becomes hard to immerse yourself in.

It's hard for someone to see North Korea and not think of the North Korea we hear about everyday that has millions of problems.

They won't. They were approached about it but turned it down, both Sony's and Microsoft's conferences were packed.

Hopefully packed with hot games.

velociraptor

They won't. They were approached about it but turned it down, both Sony's and Microsoft's conferences were packed.

Intriguing. Can't wait.

edit: Hopefully packed with quality content as opposed to remasters, indie games and boring powerpoint slides. I'd rather see gameplay for Homefront the aforementioned.

Reg

Banned
QRjRT0X.gif

glad to hear

Ubi though

I just hope Ubi decides to attend MS presser this time seeing as MS as an exclusive content deal with The Division

sadly I am guessing ACV will still be at Sony's :(

eso76

Looks good and sounds decent.

No idea why they'd want to tie it to homefront IP, though.

Anyway, 2015..
I hope to see a few 2014 releases at E3 :p

VaizardNL

Banned
I actually really enjoyed the trailer. Never got to play Homefront before, so I'm curious how this game will turn out to be.

dr_rus

No I think Ryse looks pretty good. Sure it may not be as dense or have large open areas, but it looks as good as Crysis 3.

You've just said yourself that it doesn't look as good as Crysis 3.
Characters, animation - sure. Overall? Not even close. Not the same scale, not the same LODs.

velociraptor

You've just said yourself that it doesn't look as good as Crysis 3.
Characters, animation - sure. Overall? Not even close. Not the same scale, not the same LODs.
When I say looks good as Crysis 3, I'm simply talking about 'overall visuals' excluding what occurs behind the scenes. But objectively, no, it doesn't push the same level of detail.

I thought that the Americans kicked the Koreans back into the Pacific at the end of the first game. Is this a reboot?

From what I remember, they manage to take back San Francisco (and parts of the west coast) at the end, and Europe starts planning an assault on Korean forces in the U.S. There is still plenty of room for Korea to still be in control of the east coast four years later but they'll probably have to explain why Europe never rode in to the rescue. The remnants of the U.S. military massing in the west are easier to explain, at least.

It's hilarious people have a problem with Homefront's concept.

Gimmie a break. COD does silly stuff all the time.
Its the game's core premise. If you can't at least buy in a little bit I could see it being a painful distraction, especially when they fail spectacularly to tug on your heart strings.

But then again I saw nothing in the action of that trailer to know just who the oppressive power was. The soldiers are classic non-descript bullies speaking English with semi-robotic voices. You could tell me this was Haze 2 and I wouldn't doubt you.

Fox Mulder

People need to understand that when someone makes a game about aliens or time traveling cowboys taking over the USA it's so ridiculous and in it's own universe that it works fine. However, when you take our own existing universe and tweak it only slightly to some alternate reality and present it in a very serious manner, then it becomes hard to immerse yourself in.

It's hard for someone to see North Korea and not think of the North Korea we hear about everyday that has millions of problems.

well the first game takes place in the 2020's, and they actually did a thorough job of building a timeline of events to explain the state of things. They just did a shit job telling it in the actual game to get you invested in the story.

Apdiddy

First thought I had upon seeing the trailer:

Yay, it's Killzone Shadowfall in Seattle!

I liked the first game a bit when I played it on PC. I guess I could just get it for PS3 and play it for the campaign.

This trailer couldn't have been more generic.

cgi: check
generic shootout: check
explosions: check
average white male protagonist: check

add on top of that this is a sequel to a bad game, made by Crytek, it doesn't instill hope in me.

Also surprisingly this trailer combined elements of Killzone Shadowfall and inFamous Second Son, what a blend.

Made by the least Crytek arm of Crytek.

Dysun

That reveal trailer really does look like Shadow Fall. Made by Crytek, I expect it to play just as mundane and tedious as well
Open world coop is the only thing inspiring hope

SHADES

Did you read that post? Is not about "invading America" and more about NK having drones and power armors....

Well, I mean, I did go with the flow for the first game, and most of my criticisms of the story tie into a) one of your allies basically being the most hateful character since Rico in Killzone, b) constantly having to wait for people to open a door/trigger a cutscene/etc., c) press X to jump in mass grave, d) the rah-rah-Americanism at the end. But I do think the lack of identity on the part of the invaders doesn't really help, though it's not the thing that ruins the game.

Anyways, we can move on. Homefront 2 sounds incredibly generic so far, with just the revolution trope to keep it going. I feel like America under siege is pretty well done at this point, whether it's Resistance 2/3 or the Modern Warfare series (and Black Ops II for that matter). The two things Homefront 1 had going for it in the campaign:
the white phosphorus scene, which actually did a good job of reminding us that we're not dealing with hardened soldiers here and your allies can/will fuck up horribly
, and the suburban setting was decently executed (though it too often felt like a bunch of corridors with decorations rather than an actual living, breathing suburb).

I'm hoping Homefront 2 improves substantially on the latter and gives us a compelling resistance story that includes more moments like the former and less "press X to jump in mass grave." But even then I worry a little bit that whatever freshness the original premise of Homefront had will disappear now that it's four years later. What made the resistance stuff in H1 interesting to me was that it was so new to everyone, having to figure out how to live under the new regime. Fast forward a few years and now it's just the natural order of things that everyone's kind of used to. Plus the lives people used to have have faded further into the distance, and thus there's less potential for interesting contrasts between the current situation and the past.

Oh yeah, also:

I'm not American and American exceptionalism is pretty tiring to me. Plus I feel like the trope of "America throws off its foreign oppressors" is actually pretty MURICA! itself.

"It's just a game" works for goofy pulp stuff, much less so for a game that clearly wants to be taken very, very seriously and goes so far to attempt to use real-world geopolitics as the basis for its backstory.

Guy's, all I'm saying is "it's a fucking game, play it, enjoy it/or not, let the game build the scenarios before we shoot it down". Pre 9/11 no one would of thought 20 guys would take over planes & kill 4000 people but it happened. I don't see why we have to be so obsessed with the "entirely workable scenario's when were quite willing to accept zombie apocalypse, intergalactic planet hopping wars zones or even CoD for that matter. Let the game set the tone, I didn't hear any complaining Deslin's character was so far fetched in Second son?

It just seems we're asking a lot for one game to set certain standards yet other games get free passes.

As for NK having drones not being realistic, kids are building RC replica's today out of spare RC heli parts, just seems a little double standards is all I'm saying.

The other thing that gets me about the Homefront series is that it always felt to me like some sort of ridiculous fearmongering 'WHAT IF KOREANS TOOK OVER AMERICA?! THIS COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN' scenario. Reminds me of a cheap crappy right-wing fantasy trip about America being overthrown by evil foreigners and the common man must fight back because right to bear arms etc etc.

The whole plot is so laughably ludicrous, I refuse to even give this game even the slightest consideration.

They should've let this franchise die on the vine.

i-Lo

Apologies if this has been answered before but does anyone know which platform the game's in-engine assets are running on?

jakomocha

I really hope they capitalize on the idea of having an emotional story this time around. I think a very interesting moral and ethical dilemma they could tackle (but almost definitely won't) is the fact that almost all North Korean soldiers are basically brainwashed and lied to by their government and don't know any better.

Guy's, all I'm saying is "it's a fucking game, play it, enjoy it/or not, let the game build the scenarios before we shoot it down". Pre 9/11 no one would of thought 20 guys would take over planes & kill 4000 people but it happened. I don't see why we have to be so obsessed with the "entirely workable scenario's when were quite willing to accept zombie apocalypse, intergalactic planet hopping wars zones or even CoD for that matter. Let the game set the tone, I didn't hear any complaining Deslin's character was so far fetched in Second son?

It just seems we're asking a lot for one game to set certain standards yet other games get free passes.

As for NK having drones not being realistic, kids are building RC replica's today out of spare RC heli parts, just seems a little double standards is all I'm saying.

IN A CAVE!
...WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Open world and Timesplitters?

I'm back in. Would love of the co-op was something a la Left 4 Dead or Dead Island.

One shouldn't underestimate the effect that co-op adds. Borderlands is a game that I couldn't play alone, and the shooting mechanics would drive me crazy if i had to.

Made by the least Crytek arm of Crytek.

That would be Crytek USA (who has less of a history with shooters). If anything Crytek UK has worked in enough Crysis games to be the second most Crytek arm of Crytek.

Leb

I really hope they capitalize on the idea of having an emotional story this time around, but I get the feeling they won't because Deep Silver.

What does that have to do with anything? I mean, heck, DS doesn't even own the IP, they're just publishing it.

jakomocha

What does that have to do with anything? I mean, heck, DS doesn't even own the IP, they're just publishing it.
Well, I was just referencing the fact that Dead Island 1-2 have had pretty crappy stories (despite the trailers being incredibly emotional and amazing). It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek statement though.
EDIT:
I thought Deep Silver was developing it, sorry- I was wrong.

crozier

I've never played Homefront, is it good?
One of the vilest games I have ever played. I can't even describe why very well....but they try to create these horrible scenarios (executions, hiding in bodies) that comes off as tasteless at best. And I'm someone who LOVED Spec Ops: The Line.

The MP was garbage too. Like CoD with serious geometry issues. Where you shot isn't what you shot seemingly half the time if they were near any object in the game world. Instead, the bullet would hit an imaginary extension to that object. I double people still play it too.

So no, not good at all.

Top Bottom