• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

Haggard

Banned
I got you lying in the previous thread... do you want another round?
All you do is troll and not in an intelligent way. It's tiring.
So we've already established that you're some wannabe cripple unable to distinguish between framerates and with the last posting you're just continuing to be a lying fleabag or someone with serious schizophrenia. Wonder what comes next...

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
He's referring to the motion resolution. When you pan the camera the resolution of the objects in motion are reduced. You get double the motion resolution with 60 fps vs 30 fps. Check out this link here.

Play the game... 30fps is fine and you won't miss anything at all.

Were input lag numbers posted for both modes as well as the display that was used?
On another note, I wonder how VRR will be implemented by Sony on the PS5. XsX will run in 120hz mode regardless of the games being 60fps max, which should improve input lag a minor amount.

I think the PS5 use to do this also (minus the VRR) but at one point they changed it to use a 60hz refresh rate for all but 120FPS games.

ethomaz

Banned
On another note, I wonder how VRR will be implemented by Sony on the PS5. XsX will run in 120hz mode regardless of the games being 60fps max, which should improve input lag a minor amount.

I think the PS5 use to do this also (minus the VRR) but at one point they changed it to use a 60hz refresh rate for all but 120FPS games.
PS5 uses VSync in almost all games... is it possible to use VRR with Vsync?

rofif

Banned
On pc, if you use vsync wioth vrr it acts as two different things and a bit different to just vsync alone:
-It locks fps to the ceiling with vsync lag included
-It is responsible for removing tearing. Without vsync and just VRR, tearing can still occur in lower part of the screen. At least on nvidia

ethomaz

Banned
On pc, if you use vsync wioth vrr it acts as two different things and a bit different to just vsync alone:
-It locks fps to the ceiling with vsync lag included
-It is responsible for removing tearing. Without vsync and just VRR, tearing can still occur in lower part of the screen. At least on nvidia
I was curious because if it was not possible then all games should need patches to works with VRR :D
But if it is possible we can only hope Sony can do in a system level way.

I think once you hit/remain at 60/120fps or max refresh, it functions like Vsync. That was my interpretation at least, some suggest forcing max FPS to 119hz, etc on PC.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I was curious because if it was not possible then all games should need patches to works with VRR :D
But if it is possible we can only hope Sony can do in a system level way.
I think I know what you are asking but it's impossible to say how many games on ps5 use vsync lock or just a custom fps lock.
I think enabling vrr right now on ps5 would not... achieve anything. Games would still be 30 or 60 and need to be unlocked one by one by devs probably

Markio128

Gold Member
On another note, let us take a look at Fauna in the game.

FLuGJxiXIAMKBOy

FLuGKPnXEAE1kC6

FLuGKs8XwAIqg2X
FLuGLHhXIAEXNGO

FLuLLlJXMAMWwNm

Lol, the Lil crustacean created a print in shape in the sand.
bbc glastonbury2019 GIF by Glastonbury Festival

Tygeezy

Play the game... 30fps is fine and you won't miss anything at all.
That isn't true. You sacrifice half the motion resolution and 60 fps will have lower input lag despite some claims here of 30 fps mode having low input lag. I haven't seen any numbers in milliseconds provided for input lag or the display used, so that should be treated as subjective until we get some numbers.

The hero lighting is still there. it just allows for more shadowing now.
You wouldn't want the character to be glowing all the time
Thankfully they toned it down, it looks ok in a short low quality gif but it looked weird in the full trailer, like Aloy didn't belong in the world. Subtle use of tech usually works best.

On PC, you can have Vsync and FreeSync active at the same time. I used to do this to eliminate all traces of screen tearing as just using FreeSync alone wasn't always enough. You still get the odd tear here and there (probably a bug). Anyways, all you have to do is tell Radeon Adrenaline software to cap all your games at 141fps (for a 144Hz screen) to avoid hitting the refresh ceiling and introducing vsync lag. Any time you use vsync while UNDER the max refresh rate, you reduce input lag by the same amount as vsync being disabled, so there's no real need to disable vsync ever.

Sony will probably have a system wide VRR mode.

It doesn’t look anywhere the same.

It is not just the weird blurry Resolution with CBR but the details are all tuned down in Performance mode… LOD, shadows, draw distance, effects, etc are all lowered for that shitty mode.

Using your analogy Perf. Mode has plants and rocks from PS4 era.
Source?

On Demand

Banned
I posted a comparison in the other thread. It is definitely a significant change. We need to spam GG's twitter channel with these gifs and request to add that back in. Even if its as a slider. Id rather play at 1800p with hero lighting than at native 4k without.

q4nzl9T.gif

jMeaWYx.gif

So damn unnecessary. The game looks so much more realistic with the high quality lighting.

For people saying it’s the time of day....no it isn’t. Guerilla added a permanent pre rendered quality lighting rig to Aloy. So even in different types of lighting she would still have that high contrast lighting on her.

CG quality character model is here in real time and now people don’t like it????

We should at least have a setting where we can choose the full lighting on Aloy.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I posted a comparison in the other thread. It is definitely a significant change. We need to spam GG's twitter channel with these gifs and request to add that back in. Even if its as a slider. Id rather play at 1800p with hero lighting than at native 4k without.

q4nzl9T.gif

jMeaWYx.gif

A step in better direction IMO, the initial reveal looked like Star Wars prequels a.k.a. it's just Aloy running on a green screen with the environments pasted later on, every screenshot literally looked like someone photoshopped her into the picture. The hero lightning while sounding interesting didn't make any sense at all, because no matter which direction you're facing the character's lightning remains static, and it's there even when moving in shadows, making the character look completely out of place.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shame about the 1800p checkboard resolution for performance mode 🤔 Doesn't make sense.

Would have much preferred 1440p that's 3.6m pixels vs 8.2m for 4K (I'd of thought that would scale down and give you 60 fps but obviously not).

Not long now.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Subtle use of tech usually works best.
But Horizon's entire art style is anything but subtle. It is hyper realistic instead in every compared to more muted and realistic lighting of games like RDR2, Death Stranding or TLOU2. It has contrast and bright lush in your face scenery by design. So why draw the line at Aloy's character model? Especially since all they are doing is bringing over the cutscene quality rig to the gameplay. If the lighting doesnt bother you during cutscenes, why is it bothering you during gameplay?

This is Red Dead 2 in night time.

red-dead-redemption-2-money-lending-and-other-sins-III-wiki-guide-2.jpg

This Horizon Zero Dawn during night time.

C6ScP6JXMAIUCm6

It is anything but subtle.

Tygeezy

On PC, you can have Vsync and FreeSync active at the same time. I used to do this to eliminate all traces of screen tearing as just using FreeSync alone wasn't always enough. You still get the odd tear here and there (probably a bug). Anyways, all you have to do is tell Radeon Adrenaline software to cap all your games at 141fps (for a 144Hz screen) to avoid hitting the refresh ceiling and introducing vsync lag. Any time you use vsync while UNDER the max refresh rate, you reduce input lag by the same amount as vsync being disabled, so there's no real need to disable vsync ever.

Sony will probably have a system wide VRR mode.
If VRR is to be system wide then they are going to want to allow 120 hz. They are going to also have to increase the hdmi bandwidth to 40 gbps so we don't have to use chromo subsample at this resolution/refresh rate.

On Demand

Banned
There was lot of peoples who were complaining about it so it's not really a big surprise that they toned it down.

Even DF didn't liked that in their reaction video.

Most people have no taste in gaming and don’t know what they want. Crying about console power and ray tracing bullshit. Now here in HFW you’re getting CG QUALITY effects in real time gameplay and now it’s too much and doesn’t look right.

And who the hell cares what Digital Foundry likes or don’t like. They don’t represent every single person playing games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Some tertiary characters (that you can use as protagonists in 99% of games)
FLveVoQWUAAsH66

FLveWLAXwAQ5vlM

People still convinced that ratchet or demons looks better uh...
Jesus. Those are two phenomenal looking character models.

Imagine if they had diverted their talents into making a good looking human being in this game. Like One. Just one pretty girl. The internet would explode.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lol, SlimySnake SlimySnake isn't having it with the toned down hero lighting. Took it straight to Guerilla with the tweets haha.

It's an insult to comment that HFW "looks good for a cross gen game" when it's easily one of the best looking games ever made, period. I personally place it above Ratchet. Cyberpunk on PC max settings only bests Horizon in the lighting department, everything else looks to be in Horizon's favor. Pound for pound, Horizon is the best looking game ever created.

G-Bus

Banned
Maybe let's get a toggle for that hero lighting. I personally don't care for it.

Options are great.

This 30fps vs 60fp. Some of you folks are insufferable. can't play at 30fps? :messenger_weary:

If I were a developer I'd avoid gaming forums like the plague. Made worse by the fact pretty much no one around here has a clue what the hell they're talking about. It's like my dad criticizing the goal tending at an Olympic hockey game when he can't even get off the couch without grunting.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Lol, SlimySnake SlimySnake isn't having it with the toned down hero lighting. Took it straight to Guerilla with the tweets haha.

It's an insult to comment that HFW "looks good for a cross gen game" when it's easily one of the best looking games ever made, period. I personally place it above Ratchet. Cyberpunk on PC max settings only bests Horizon in the lighting department, everything else looks to be in Horizon's favor. Pound for pound, Horizon is the best looking game ever created.

Definitely is the best looking game on the market

but the hero lighting needs to return

did SlimySnake SlimySnake contact the GG devs on twitter yet?

GymWolf

Gold Member
lol I tweeted them but i have no followers on twitter. Need gaffers to retweet or keep posting those gifs separately.

DF is in their ear constantly. We need to raise a stink or we will never get slider for it.
Ask if they can put a 900p mode with some fucking ragdoll please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom