• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

Tripolygon

Banned
Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220216182331.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
Got my physical copy right now. What's up with you digital only fanboys still waiting??🤣😂
Digital game releases experiences is a big let down to be fair.
You will never tell your children or grand-children anything about buying a digital game lol

The inexplicable real life experiences still count to the overall.
It is something I mess a lot.

Imagine meeting for the first time your future wife because you have to drive several miles to buy a game at launch :messenger_fire:

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The end result is a game so quick that the development team had to revamp the tips that appear on loading screens. “In Horizon Zero Dawn, we called it fast travel, but it could take maybe a minute to actually load,” de Jonge said. “With the PS5, it’s maybe four or five seconds, it loads so quickly that players can’t even read the hints.” But from testing, Guerrilla knew that players came to rely on these hints, so they decided to slow things down just a bit. “We had to add a very simple feature where it hangs on the loading screen for enough time so you can actually read at least one hint while it loads.”

from the engadget article

Midn1ght

The end result is a game so quick that the development team had to revamp the tips that appear on loading screens. “In Horizon Zero Dawn, we called it fast travel, but it could take maybe a minute to actually load,” de Jonge said. “With the PS5, it’s maybe four or five seconds, it loads so quickly that players can’t even read the hints.” But from testing, Guerrilla knew that players came to rely on these hints, so they decided to slow things down just a bit. “We had to add a very simple feature where it hangs on the loading screen for enough time so you can actually read at least one hint while it loads.”

So did they make the loading screen longer on purpose or is it a case of "Press X" once the game is ready?

Add a "Tips and Hints" in the options menu where you can check them all and give me that 4 seconds loading.

ethomaz

Banned

Series... that is the reason the loading times on PS5 are bad?
Really?

Redefine07

Got my copy also today , but I have PS4 version ( so I can share it with a friend that dosent have a PS5 yet ) , so far I am stuck with PS4 version , guess tomorrow I will get the upgrade version.

Series... that is the reason the loading times on PS5 are bad?
Really?
Bad? 4 seconds?

“We tested the loading times of each version of the game, going from the main menu to actually playing the game. It'll come as no surprise that there's a huge difference between the PS5 version and the two PS4 versions of the game, as the PS5 benefits from an ultra-fast internal SSD, drastically cutting down the time you'll be waiting to resume playing. Here's the average load times of each version:

• PS5: 4 seconds
  • PS4 Pro: 68 seconds
  • PS4: 55 seconds
Bear in mind that normally when you're playing the game, you won't see a loading screen unless you choose to fast travel somewhere, as loading times on the PS4 are normally hidden by cutscenes. Still, you may sometimes notice small loads when using workbenches on the last-generation console, as the screen will fade to black and take a few seconds before allowing you to continue. It's also possible to (rarely) encounter these mini-loading screens if you're traveling extremely quickly with a Machine mount.”

ethomaz

Banned
Bad? 4 seconds?

“We tested the loading times of each version of the game, going from the main menu to actually playing the game. It'll come as no surprise that there's a huge difference between the PS5 version and the two PS4 versions of the game, as the PS5 benefits from an ultra-fast internal SSD, drastically cutting down the time you'll be waiting to resume playing. Here's the average load times of each version:

• PS5: 4 seconds
  • PS4 Pro: 68 seconds
  • PS4: 55 seconds
Bear in mind that normally when you're playing the game, you won't see a loading screen unless you choose to fast travel somewhere, as loading times on the PS4 are normally hidden by cutscenes. Still, you may sometimes notice small loads when using workbenches on the last-generation console, as the screen will fade to black and take a few seconds before allowing you to continue. It's also possible to (rarely) encounter these mini-loading screens if you're traveling extremely quickly with a Machine mount.”
Yes.. it is bad.. there are loading on PS5 longer than 4s... some go over 8s.
For a game running in a next-gen machine is very disappointing.

It is one of the features I thought it was being hold by cross-gen development.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

They should make it for when you turn off tips, you get that time back.

Tbf the topic was going pretty good before the birds comparison...

Well at least they weren't pigeons.

Anyways the Wildlife looks really good IMO. Would be nice to have a comparison thread comparing the wildlife with the first games.

Edit: @ModsMessage I can't report and I don't want the function back. Thank you.

Last edited:

shubik

I just got to the first bigger settlement and I´m absolutely blown away. The amount of details, little animations, and the overall graphical fidelity on display is simply staggering. Everything feels so alive and busy and lived in. This feels like a real place where real people live and go through their everyday life. Absolutely love it. This is still the starting area so I can only imagine what the rest of the game will look like.

Top Bottom