• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
ezgif-7-63b228367a.gif

ezgif-7-c432dc1cb0.gif
James Sawyer Reaction GIF

ethomaz

Banned
No, I'm comparing both pre-release and Forbidden West's pre-release footage looks a lot better overall than Ragnarok's.

I *want* it to improve to the point that it blows Forbidden West out of the water. But in all likelihood it won't.

Your opinion is irrelevant to me, and I'm unsure why you're so invested in mine.

Afterall your known angle is that of the rabid Sony 1st party defender, and all I'm doing is comparing two Sony 1st party games.

It's not like I brought up an Xbox studio game which is what would normally trigger your smarmy, defensive posts. Lol
I'm not investing in you.
Just your option is not exactly what you can see in the footage.

Now if you say Horizon now looks better than Ragnarok released footage I will definitively agree.

Last edited:

Xander3116

So i bought the PS4 version does anyone know when ill be able to pre-load the PS5 free upgrade? because all i can do right now is pre-load the PS4 version.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I have no interest in the game as the first one bored me.

But damn does it look great, cross gen or not.

It's sad but it looks better than Ragnarok despite it being open world and coming out before.

Sony Santa Monica needs to step up their game. They were the graphics kings of Sony studios on PS3 with GOW3 and Ascension but they lost that crown last gen.
Ragnarok will probably look much better in the next showing

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have no interest in the game as the first one bored me.

But damn does it look great, cross gen or not.

It's sad but it looks better than Ragnarok despite it being open world and coming out before.

Sony Santa Monica needs to step up their game. They were the graphics kings of Sony studios on PS3 with GOW3 and Ascension but they lost that crown last gen.

R.be817debb529c2dfc032da77318d64c6

Rea

Man this game looks fucking good on my 4k Sony Oled mann.. i have never seen such a beautiful game,, like ever. This game has soul. Its reminds me of Witcher 3. Definitely deserves GOTY. This game surpasses all the Open World RPG out there, the animation the details the song tracks. Except the storyline cause i haven't finished yet. :lollipop_smiling_hearts:

DJ12

I think this looks too good to be cross gen. Only guerilla could confirm I guess but this looks ps5 then dumbed down to ps4 after the fact rather than planned for ps4 from the start.

Probs became a ps4 game when the scope of the shortage became clear.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I think this looks too good to be cross gen. Only guerilla could confirm I guess but thi looks ps5 then dumbed down to ps4 after the fact rather than planned for ps4 from the start.

No, the game started development on the PlayStation 4 right after HZD came out.
Speaking to Game Informer in a new video interview, game director Mathijs de Jonge revealed that much of the development and playtesting has already been done on PS4. “A lot of the development has taken place on the PlayStation 4 and a lot of playtesting is also done on PlayStation 4 so we are ensuring that owners of that console will have a great experience and that the game will look fantastic on that console.”

Of course, the PS5 affords the potential to go much further.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ascension and Gow3 looked better than TLOU.

Way bigger scale, way more effects on screen, better textures and zero LOD whereas rocks from only a few meters ahead in TLOU often had to load in.
Yep both ps3's Gow look better although I'm not so sure about the LOD part.I do think there is a lod system in place but it has been fine tuned thanks to the fix camera(or scripted camera travelling if you rather).And furthermore I do think that the camera they use allowed them to push graphics way more than it could've been possible with a free camera.
But other than that small nitpick they looked and still look amazing.

ethomaz

Banned
I think this looks too good to be cross gen. Only guerilla could confirm I guess but this looks ps5 then dumbed down to ps4 after the fact rather than planned for ps4 from the start.

You can clearly see some features/effects being hold back by PS4.
The lack of RT is the main one.

Dr.Morris79

The £59.99 PS4 version on PSN gives you the PS5 version too. I bought some PSN credit on ShopTo so I think it cost about £53 - still not cheap of course but slightly more palatable.
Get the PS4 version, is £59.99 and has free upgrade to PS5 version digital version:

Enter code ALOY15 at the checkout for 15% off taking it down to £51, maybe too late to definitely get it delivered by tomorrow now, they dispatched mine at midday today and DPD says its coming by 2pm tomorrow. You can do pickup at local shop though.
I could kiss you two. I wont, mind you, you dont know where i've been..

I'll grab this tomorrow :messenger_bicep: (y)

G-Bus

Banned
This one is gameplay btw. Credit to imapioneer from the other side.

FLiy9lEX0AA3l2O

Score one for rim lighting. This level of detail and character lighting during gameplay is a step up not only from the first game but other games as well.

My aunt has a beard AND a mustache. super nice lady.

If this releases on PC and someone doesn't give her a big ol' Kratos beard then modders have failed the community.

Pedro Motta

Anyone been watching CohhCarnage's stream of this just now?. Holy smokes the game has a memory leak problem or something. he's playing on performance mode and after a while the audio started going out of sync, then the whole game was running at like 15fps in the middle of this big fight lol.
Restarting the console fixed the problem, which makes it look like a memory leak. He's had to restart twice.
So just keep an eye out for that if it happens to you, save and restart.
I think in the Skillup review he mentions that problem, though it was gone with the day one patch.

Top Bottom