• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

Loudninja

Umm you decided to post footage from a build back in October with that comment. I think I get you now man. Some of your threads have seemed odd but this is pretty transparent.
To be fair I posted it just to showed the gameplay but I did say it was old!

Shin-Ra

some strange structure is on that mountain top. I don't know what it is, but it looks cool as fuck. I wanna go exploring!
Dino roller coaster.

∀ Narayan;205847712 said:
Still my most hyped game. Looks amazing.
image.php

I don't recall the last time I've been so enamored with the theme, character design, enemy design, overall art design, and story of a game just from trailers as I've become with this. I mean, they're obviously riding the "chosen one" heroes journey trope for all it's worth here, but this character and world seem interesting and fresh to me, and I'm really hopeful for this project to deliver.

Fbh

PSY・S;205849833 said:
I think it's silly because I'm struggling to think of a way to execute on the idea of "robot dinosaurs taking over the world" that isn't handled in a silly way. And even if they do come to something that's effective on paper the trailers aren't giving me any faith that the dialogue and voice acting will be able to keep it from falling back into the silly zone.

I don't know man. I've enjoyed 2 recent movies of super smart monkeys taking over the world. One of the them even has a scene of a monkey with 2 machineguns riding a horse.

And while they aren't the best or most serious movies out there. I've not heard that many people calling them silly

Except there was no release date to begin with.

It was most definitely announced as a 2016 game.
So technically it didn't miss a specific date, it missed 365 potential release dates

I don't recall the last time I've been so enamored with the theme, character design, enemy design, overall art design, and story of a game just from trailers as I've become with this. I mean, they're obviously riding the "chosen one" heroes journey trope for all it's worth here, but this character and world seem interesting and fresh to me, and I'm really hopeful for this project to deliver.

I'm with you Hammy. Everything about this game is just pulling on my inner 90's kid.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope they don't show way too much at the E3 stage demo this year. Save most, if not all the good stuff for the players to experience first hand. But the nature of the beast has changed.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Not surprised about the release date. We've been hearing rumors to that effect for a while. But damn at the HQ trailer on Gamersyde. Looks like a really awesome third person mash up Killzone and Farcry Primal aesthetically. I hope we get a really good fifteen minute stage demo during the conference. This is looking like a really excellent change of pace for Guerilla.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I hope they don't show way too much at the E3 stage demo this year. Save most, if not all the good stuff for the players to experience first hand. But the nature of the beast has changed.

With open world games it is less of a concern. A few minutes is likely nothing in the big scheme of things.

I used to get worried I would see too much of The Witcher 3 before it released. Then when I had the game in my hands I realized I was being silly, because even though I had seen ALL of the prerelease footage, I had seen nothing.

Well it's a RPG so they could show a good 15 mins and we would still have a lot left to see.
Plus the game seem to have a lot of variety from environments , mechs and they still have day\night cycles and weather .

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Good points on the RPG/open world nature of this game and pulling random footage from exploration. That would be pretty good actually. I should've been more specific. I hope they don't show major key scripted events that also spoil the story(lol).

Ran rp

I mean, concepts like "humans give dolphins and other animals sentience" or "talking apes rule over regressed humans" are silly ideas to seem ridiculous at their base levels.

There are myriad routes that could result in humans supplanted by advanced machines that take the appearance of prehistoric organisms. A literal mechanical evolution, a technological singularity, a time rift that collided future and past, manipulation by more advanced being, and so on

Not sure what the dolphin thing is in reference to but the apes idea doesn't seem that ridiculous.

I think the biggest mental hurdle I'm struggling to overcome is the idea that these robots can become so complex and self-sufficient that humans as a whole wouldn't be able to just fuck their shit up.

And the fact that they're in the form of dinosaurs, of all things. You'd think the design of robots meant to last and prosper would have what's best for function and protection of robots in mind, not just close imitations of real animals and with all these exposed wires and bits.

I just don't know how you can come to robot dinosaurs as the dominant beings without it being silly. And I wouldn't have any problem with the premise if it's intended to be silly, but so far i'm not getting that vibe at all.

Maybe you should just skip the game as you are making it painfully obvious the premise of this game isn't for you.

Maybe battling demons in hell in Doom, or jumping through dimensions battling monsters in Witcher 3, controlling time in Quantum break, battling the undead in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, and discovering new planets in NMS makes much more sense for your taste.

I have no interest in any of those games besides Bloodborne. I'm not really big on AAA games anymore.

And no, it isn't asinine. As an artist and developer storytelling in games is important to me, so i'm going to focus on it.

--

Like I said earlier...

I mean come on it's a video game. Let the publishers spend their money, and the developers make the games based on their vision. If you don't like their idea then fine but complaining that a gaming story is silly is asinine. They are video games, not real life.

Shit, sometimes real life is more weird.

handwaving. What's wrong with me discussing the positives and negatives of storytelling in video games on a video game discussion board? Why are people trying to shut that down with comments like "it's just a video game!" Yeah, and? That's what we're here to discuss. If a developer has an RPG with a story that's seemingly meant to be taken seriously why can't I comment on the fact that I'm getting a completely different vibe?

It's like some of you only want an echo chamber of positivity.

TissueBox

*looks at trailer*

The pursuit of happiness is real, mother.

But legitimately, all these pre-E3 game announcements and teasers and here comes Horizon and Guerilla with a real evocative slam on the desk. What a fine looking game; didn't quite finish the trailer, though. Still trying to figure out to what extent I'm taking a media blackout, but just like last year, a palpable allure surrounds this game, its presentation, and overall concept. Let's go, Guerilla! *philistine chest pound*

Shin-chan

This is the kind of magic that can happen when you let your studios move onto new and different things. It may end up feeling like a proof of concept like Gravity Rush 1 sort of did, but man the concept is just so intriguing and refreshing. I hope at the very least Geurilla can bring their weapon feedback into this so even if all of the stuff that is brand new to them (open world, quest driven play sessions, enemy attack patterns/animations etc.) ends up relatively lacklustre the combat can hold it together.

It's been awhile but this reminds me of my feelings about the movie Brave. I still haven't seen it but IIRC her lone wolfing with a bow was really appealing then they focused on her annoying family in later trailers and it turned me off.

Then here's this game where there's a ginger, bow wielding, lone wolfer doing neat things in early trailers and now here's a focus on weird uninteresting (to me so far) family stuff with an unappealing male voice.

I'm looking forward to it still, the lone wolf gameplay looked so good, but I thought the comparison was funny. I also need to see Brave. Maybe my memory is completely off.

PSY・S;205855808 said:
Not sure what the dolphin thing is in reference to but the apes idea doesn't seem that ridiculous.

I think the biggest mental hurdle I'm struggling to overcome is the idea that these robots can become so complex and self-sufficient that humans as a whole wouldn't be able to just fuck their shit up.

And the fact that they're in the form of dinosaurs, of all things. You'd think the design of robots meant to last and prosper would have what's best for function and protection of robots in mind, not just close imitations of real animals and with all these exposed wires and bits.

I just don't know how you can come to robot dinosaurs as the dominant beings without it being silly. And I wouldn't have any problem with the premise if it's intended to be silly, but so far i'm not getting that vibe at all.

I have no interest in any of those games besides Bloodborne. I'm not really big on AAA games anymore.

And no, it isn't asinine. As an artist and developer storytelling in games is important to me, so i'm going to focus on it.

--

Like I said earlier...

handwaving. What's wrong with me discussing the positives and negatives of storytelling in video games on a video game discussion board? Why are people trying to shut that down with comments like "it's just a video game!" Yeah, and? That's what we're here to discuss. If a developer has an RPG with a story that's seemingly meant to be taken seriously why can't I comment on the fact that I'm getting a completely different vibe?

It's like some of you only want an echo chamber of positivity.

You see it as problem, but most of us don't. There is no discussion to be had and that seems to bother you.

VanWinkle

PSY・S;205857017 said:
So because the majority doesn't see it as a problem the minority isn't allowed to speak on it?

Are dissenting opinions and discussion not allowed?

Once again, you're allowed to say it. Nobody has said you're not allowed to say it. Are people not allowed to disagree with you?

Top Bottom