• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

Ran rp

Eh, I'd argue it's only silly if it's handled in a silly way. Just like uplifting can be pretty silly depending on the story, but also allow for effective serious storytelling in other contexts

I think it's silly because I'm struggling to think of a way to execute on the idea of "robot dinosaurs taking over the world" that isn't handled in a silly way. And even if they do come to something that's effective on paper the trailers aren't giving me any faith that the dialogue and voice acting will be able to keep it from falling back into the silly zone.

I watched all the trailers. Looks in scripted trailers is very different from how it feels with a controller in your hand.

There is no way you could have watched anything related to this game and come away with the gameplay being similar or Killzone or God Of War comparison as a rational analysis.

February works for me since I likely won't get a PS4 until Christmas. I've never been interested in Killzone but this game looks really, really great. This team is nailing this vision.

Is there a price point for the CE/LE? I'm so in for that art book.

Wagram

Collectors edition is on Amazon for $120. I'll probably pick up the limited edition, which i'm assuming is 80 or 90.

PSY・S;205849833 said:
I think it's silly because I'm struggling to think of a way to execute on the idea of "robot dinosaurs taking over the world" that isn't handled in a silly way. And even if they do come to something that's effective on paper the trailers aren't giving me any faith that the dialogue and voice acting will be able to keep it together.
I mean, concepts like "humans give dolphins and other animals sentience" or "talking apes rule over regressed humans" are silly ideas that seem ridiculous at their base levels.

There are myriad routes that could result in humans supplanted by advanced machines that take the appearance of prehistoric organisms. A literal mechanical evolution, a technological singularity, a time rift that collided future and past, manipulation by more advanced being, and so on

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sometimes when I look at this game I feel like someone on the companies Board of Directors went "So we did some research and KIDS LOVE DINOSAURS." The developers just looked at each other and just said "We can work with that."
Plot twist: the developers were actually the "kids" the board of directors did research on. Anonymous identities of course in order to get their insane concept game green-lit.

Cause who in the fuck doesn't love dinosaurs!? Them beasts are magnificent.

PSY・S;205849833 said:
I think it's silly because I'm struggling to think of a way to execute on the idea of "robot dinosaurs taking over the world" that isn't handled in a silly way. And even if they do come to something that's effective on paper the trailers aren't giving me any faith that the dialogue and voice acting will be able to keep it together.

Maybe you should just skip the game as you are making it painfully obvious the premise of this game isn't for you.

Maybe battling demons in hell in Doom, or jumping through dimensions battling monsters in Witcher 3, controlling time in Quantum break, battling the undead in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, and discovering new planets in NMS makes much more sense for your taste.

I mean come on it's a video game. Let the publishers spend their money, and the developers make the games based on their vision. If you don't like their idea then fine but complaining that a gaming story is silly is asinine. They are video games, not real life.

Shit, sometimes real life is more weird.

I feel like this is gonna play like a God of War / Killzone hybrid style game. I'm not sure I'll like that kind of gameplay.

Hwp3sKA.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Maybe you should just skip the game as you are making it painfully obvious the premise of this game isn't for you.

Maybe battling demons in hell in Doom, or jumping through dimensions battling monsters in Witcher 3, controlling time in Quantum break, battling the undead in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, and discovering new planets in NMS makes much more sense for your taste.

I mean come on it's a video game. Let the publishers spend their money, and the developers make the games based on their vision. If you don't like their idea then fine but complaining that a gaming story is silly is asinine. They are video games, not real life.

Well said.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I mean, concepts like "humans give dolphins and other animals sentience" or "talking apes rule over regressed humans" are silly ideas that seem ridiculous at their base levels.

There are myriad routes that could result in humans supplanted by advanced machines that take the appearance of prehistoric organisms. A literal mechanical evolution, a technological singularity, a time rift that collided future and past, manipulation by more advanced being, and so on

Both good posts.

Shifty1897

Judging by the early reports about the game's frame rate being a mess, I'd say you're gonna want a Neo if you want a 1080p/30 locked or 1080p/60 unlocked experience.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Judging by the early reports about the game's frame rate being a mess, I'd say you're gonna want a Neo if you want a 1080p/30 locked or 1080p/60 unlocked experience.

Reports of the Framerate being a mess from last year? And game is still 7 months away?

I'm not too worried. But I'll be playing it on NEO regardless.

Love the premise, setting, and the gameplay looked great. Shame about how corny some of the writing is, but oh well. Still looks pretty good.

Real talk: Why did Sony show this before E3? Is it

A) To prevent people from getting pissed off about the 2017 delay

B) Because they aren't showing it at their E3 press conference (That seems likely, but would be a bit of a shocker)

C) Because when they show it at the press conference, it is the Neo version that will look a lot better than this. (That'd be an interesting way to boost hype)

Love the premise, setting, and the gameplay looked great. Shame about how corny some of the writing is, but oh well. Still looks pretty good.

B) Because they aren't showing it at their E3 press conference (That seems likely, but would be a bit of a shocker)

C) Because when they show it at the press conference, it is the Neo version that will look a lot better than this. (That'd be an interesting way to boost hype)

Pre-hype hype. This is how things have worked for a few years now, not sure why it's surprising to so many people. We've been getting videos and trailers in the days leading up to E3. They could very easily still show a gameplay demo during their conference.

sackninja

I would say D) Because people are talking about this new trailer now and will be talking about the game again after the press conference.

Did I not just say that as and old vid?

That was showed behind closes doors at E3, they showed it to the public at Paris Games Week.

Doesn't take away from what I'm seeing in that video. It looks bad. Even the gameplay looks bad. I'm not denying that improvements will(and have been)be made.

Haines

Banned
Every game gets delayed any more.

The original release dates seem to be purely for marketing purposes with no truth.

Top Bottom