• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

Depends on the reasoning. Sentient AI may have began to evolve, basing their evolution around what they learned about organic life's evolution

I just think that the premise is cool as hell. I mean we have movies like Terminator, and Transformer, which btw has dinosaurs, anything is possible.

Who the heck doesn't like robot dinosaurs!?

Floody

EGZnzw6.png

Is that a giant (snake?) robot chilling on a mountain?

Ran rp

A lot of serious sci fi has tackled odd and weird concepts. It's the execution that matters. We have zero idea of what caused the collapse of civilization, why mankind regressed, and why machines evolved alongside Earth's own prehistoric evolution pattern

Sure. None of that changes the fact that I feel "Robot Dinosaurs" is a silly concept and that the serious tone isn't working for me.

Why are you falsely quoting me? I was replying to cheezcake's suggestion.

"The bolded is some seriously rediculous nitpicking." in reply to "The dissonance between the super serious tone and the fact that the game is about robot dinosaurs."

What am I falsely quoting?

PSY・S;205847005 said:
Sure. None of that changes the fact that I feel "Robot Dinosaurs" is a silly concept and that the serious tone isn't working for me.

"The bolded is some seriously rediculous nitpicking." in reply to "The dissonance between the super serious tone and the fact that the game is about robot dinosaurs."

He was right, not sure why you took exception, that is the definition of nitpicking. Sentient AI has been a topic of many a great serious literary work.

Man, I just wanna say I am hella glad Guerilla Games is finally stretching beyond the Killzone franchise. It's just been long overdue.

Super stoked to see more of Horizon: Zero Dawn and RIGS.

I am so glad they also. I mean I enjoyed the Killzone games for what they are but i can't wait to see what they come up with in this game.

Is that a giant (snake?) robot chilling on a mountain?
Maybe there are some more intelligent machines and they live in machine cities in the mountains?

I wonder how many dinos you can ride and how they become rideable? And if you keep them as pets somewhere?

Maybe there are some more intelligent machines and they live in machine cities in the mountains?

I wonder how many dinos you can ride and how they become rideable? And if you keep them as pets somewhere?

If they allow you to tame your own dino and upgrade its parts. hnnngggggg

Fuser

Looks great, loving the look of the world and the character\enemy design. Assume this will be live demo'd next week if the trailer is out already...? Hoping the gameplay matches the visuals

Voice over work though needs to be done again with a rewrite of the script. It's awful! May just be the trailer but that was sub-Saturday morning cartoon crap.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
PSY・S;205847005 said:

I don't get why you are so negative about it.

I mean, if its not your type of game that's fine, but you seem like you're on a crusade.

The "Takes itself too seriously" complaint is never one I will understand, if the devs, director, author, storyteller, whomever, wants to tell a serious story in a sci fi or fantastical setting that is not as grounded as you may like, so be it.

It is their story to tell, let them tell it how they want to tell it. Doesn't have to be for everyone.

Ran rp

He was right, not sure why you took exception, that is the definition of nitpicking. Sentient AI has been a topic of many a great serious literary work.

Again, I know that. Sentient AI Robot Dinosaurs is still silly as hell though. It's not nitpicking.

And silly doesn't mean bad.

Elixist

haha delaystation . i put my vote in for this one. most open world stuff gets delayed. probly get delayed again to march.

trailer was awesome. croc was dope af. cool char. trailer, im interested in the story. im really wondering if combat is gonna be fun, becuz combat is hard to make and this is new territory for them.

PSY・S;205847836 said:
Again, I know that. Sentient AI Robot Dinosaurs is still silly as hell though. It's not nitpicking.

Eh, I'd argue it's only silly if it's handled in a silly way. Just like uplifting can be pretty silly depending on the story, but also allow for effective serious storytelling in other contexts

BigTnaples

PSY・S;205847836 said:

It does not have to be silly. If they want to tackle it in a serious way then that's fine. Execution is the only thing that matters.

Wabba

Strange to see sony show their three biggest games: The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo and Horizon before E3. They must have some really great titles to show off.

jayu26

I feel like this is gonna play like a God of War / Killzone hybrid style game. I'm not sure I'll like that kind of gameplay.

What is going on in this thread? It's like people have forgotten the gameplay we have already seen. I mean, it was liked so much that Sony decided to show the same thing at two conferences. :p

Deku Tree

What is going on in this thread? It's like people have forgotten the gameplay we have already seen. I mean, it was liked so much that Sony decided to show the same thing at two conferences. :p

I watched all the trailers. Looks in scripted trailers is very different from how it feels with a controller in your hand.

Ran rp

I don't get why you are so negative about it.

I mean, if its not your type of game that's fine, but you seem like you're on a crusade.

The "Takes itself too seriously" complaint is never one I will understand, if the devs, director, author, storyteller, whomever, wants to tell a serious story in a sci fi or fantastical setting that is not as grounded as you may like, so be it.

It is their story to tell, let them tell it how they want to tell it. Doesn't have to be for everyone.

I haven't stated any opinions about the gameplay. My only complaints were on the narrative side, with the premise and voice acting. The devs are free to do as they wish and i'm not trying to force them to do anything. Not sure how you're coming to that crusade angle.

fernoca

Man, I just wanna say I am hella glad Guerilla Games is finally stretching beyond the Killzone franchise. It's just been long overdue.

Super stoked to see more of Horizon: Zero Dawn and RIGS.
Yeah.
Though I wouldn't mind another Killzone Liberation, even just a remaster of it.

BigTnaples

Strange to see sony show their three biggest games: The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo and Horizon before E3. They must have some really great titles to show off.

God of War 4

Battlefield One?

Destiny Expansion maybe?

Some bomb ass remasters?

Also, Neo.

Side note, I REALLY want Killzone 2 and 3 HD remasters. Like, bad.

Everything about this game is beautiful! Its definitely my most anticipated title. I really loved that trailer and I didn't have any problem with the dialogue. It seems totally fine to me.
Also, I don't think people realize that not all the creatures are robo dinos. In fact it seems only a minority of the creatures are based on dinosaurs (thunderjaws and watchers), whereas everything else is based on a normal animal (giraffe, deer, eagles, etc) I seem to remember Geurilla saying this in an interview at E3 last year too.

DieH@rd

Banned

Well, those were all previously announced and showcased games. At E3 they can show new gameplay demos, and leave more space to unnanounced project from 1st/2nd/3rd party studios.

Illucio

Banned
Sometimes when I look at this game I feel like someone on the companies Board of Directors went "So we did some research and KIDS LOVE DINOSAURS." The developers just looked at each other and just said "We can work with that."

I know right? Very strange. We know their announcing Crash Banditcoot. But seriously are they trying to have the entire floor just to talk about Neo? No way they have something even more awesome to show. If they under impress they're setting themselves up for failure. And if they just show us videos of the same trailers we just saw today it would be very underwhelming.

Top Bottom