• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Thanks, that did the trick. I still wonder why my tearblast arrows didn't work, though. It specifically says "tear" as a weakness for the digging arm and I even modified my bow to have like 200 tear. But literally nothing happened when I hit the arm.

I think I hit the same arm multiple times and it didn't seem to have any effect. But maybe I just missed. Or maybe it was a bug.

I did this exact mission last night and noticed the same thing. I hit the same claw 3 times with my near max-Tear Tearblast arrows and it never came off. Instead a bunch of random armor plates were coming off.

I had an overridden Shell-Walker and Ravager on my side providing help and distractions but otherwise just kept hitting them with Triple Fire arrows and that melted them. They didn't come near me either as I was far enough away I suppose.

But my MVP Shell-Walker walked right up to them up the hill and survived the whole ordeal with 5% health, haha.

Agree.
I'm not worry about gameplay improvement, I trust GG on that department. Deeper gear, skill, character customization, more veraity etc, those are easy.
Next Horizon need to improve on quest/scenario design.
Writing itself is great, the problem is I get more emotional attach via reading or listening to recording. They need to get better at storytelling through gameplay.
It's very hard to do, but it will make a 9 into a 10 if they manage to get us invested more to the characters and thier conflict.

They need to go deeper on stories, the story of Rost is probably my favourite of them all and
it's just a tale.
. There are some side stories that are pretty good but they would be fantastic if they expand on them and add more depth. The Banuk quest, the Sun King in Shadow Carja, Redmaw, all fantastic quest but they feel like not fully realized. Nakoa's quest is awesome, it's sad that the whole challenge is battling humans. :p

Marquis

Banned
Man I love this game but very hard difficulty is almost comical on how difficult it is. Game doesn't feel like a true challenge but almost like everything is working against you.

What amazes me the most is you have 3 stocks of healing, how the hell did you manage that? I'm playing on very hard and keeping a single bar full is futile. Plants only stock it up like 14% at most.

I barely take any damage dude, rarely use health potions. Using heavy protector armor with +melee mods. Thunderjaw tail swipe hits me for 10% damage :p

If you learn the attack animations you can easily dodge the hard hitting melee attack. Use resist potions, they are amazing at negating elemental damage.

Regarding Human Combat: It's there, it isn't as polished as machine hunting, the AI is kinda dumb, and it's easy.

It doesn't offend me and I look at it as personally helping with my immersion ( a small bit) that Aloy is so beyond human combat targets, she just either mows through them or silently murder stabs them all. It's human tribal politics that fucks her.

In a sequel GG should hear the criticism and should do a lot better, but please don't make a random human character as hard or harder than a Thunderjaw in power scale. Add more human combatants to the mix or have better weapons, don't make bullet sponges.

The Sacred Lands, is this errand missable?

The only errand that I didn't do and the guide says do it before leaving something.

Which errand in the Sacred Lands are you missing? I know there's one that only appears after completing a certain main line quest, could that be it?

Damn. After 30 hrs, level 36, I've finally arrived at Meridian. The view when you first see it in the distance :O I must have been coming from the perfect spot on the map haha

Mesharey

Which errand in the Sacred Lands are you missing? I know there's one that only appears after completing a certain main line quest, could that be it?
I guess yeah, seems like it's possible to miss it, here's what the guide says:

The Sacred Lands
You need to trigger it before leaving the Nora
Hunting Grounds
and getting to
Daytower

I guess yeah, seems like it's possible to miss it, here's what the guide says:

The Sacred Lands
You need to trigger it before leaving the Nora
Hunting Grounds
and getting to
Daytower

I think I know which one you're talking about and I eventually got that mission even after
going to Meridian and back
. So you don't really need to trigger it before leaving.

Do you know what's great about this game?

It's sequal has so much potential from both Gameplay and mission structure!

A lot of times games get to the point that are so good that it's really hard to do a sequal with considerable distances without being too gimmicky.

The main thing I want in Horizon 2 is unique Overide properties.

As in have every robot be different rather than just go blue and attack enemy's when you feel like it and the 3 mountable robots

Regarding Human Combat: It's there, it isn't as polished as machine hunting, the AI is kinda dumb, and it's easy.

It doesn't offend me and I look at it as personally helping with my immersion ( a small bit) that Aloy is so beyond human combat targets, she just either mows through them or silently murder stabs them all. It's human tribal politics that fucks her.

In a sequel GG should hear the criticism and should do a lot better, but please don't make a random human character as hard or harder than a Thunderjaw in power scale. Add more human combatants to the mix or have better weapons, don't make bullet sponges.

I don't think anyone was complaining that they weren't powerful enough, just that fighting them isn't fun at all because their AI sucks, the they don't force interesting tactics or use of weapons, and they have increadibly unsatisfying hit reactions. So I don't think there's any worry about GG beefing them up to robo-Dino power levels.

SarusGray

I don't think anyone was complaining that they weren't powerful enough, just that fighting them isn't fun at all because their AI sucks, the they don't force interesting tactics or use of weapons, and they have increadibly unsatisfying hit reactions. So I don't think there's any worry about GG beefing them up to robo-Dino power levels.

I just head shot them everytime.

SephiZack

Impressive!! Didn't think about using that
shotgun type weapon
at all! Might give it a try now.

Are you talking about the
Tearblaster
I used at the beginning? I only started using it today (never noticed I had it in my chests) but it quickly rised to being one of my favourite weapons. It's very easy to remove annoying weapons or other parts from machines with it.

Are you talking about the
Tearblaster
I used at the beginning? I only started using it today (never noticed I had it in my chests) but it quickly rised to being one of my favourite weapons. It's very easy to remove annoying weapons or other parts from machines with it.

Yes that one couldn't quite remember the name of it.

Surprised we haven't gotten more announcements about sales numbers yet. Seems like it must have debuted pretty well, usually they like to say something.

shiba5

Geese combat: SSS+

25 hours in and I still haven't killed any of this fuckers.

I don't know how, because usually my aim sucks in other games, but I have no problem shooting them out of the sky. I love it when I can hit one when it's almost escaped and have trouble finding it because it fell so far away.

Is it me or is the game absolutely fantastic (on so many levels), except when the machines are too big to kill swiftly (sawtooth and up)? Each time, for me, it becomes a stupid game of 'put some impassable obstacle (river/trees) between you and the beast' and spam fire arrows from afar?

Is it me or is the game absolutely fantastic (on so many levels), except when the machines are too big to kill swiftly (sawtooth and up)? Each time, for me, it becomes a stupid game of 'put some impassable obstacle (river/trees) between you and the beast' and spam fire arrows from afar?

what? no. not at all. for me at least. taking on the larger machines is always a fun challenge. does it have a weapon I can shoot off and use against it? what are the first components I should take out to make this fight easier?

also +1 for the BoC avatar

wapplew

I feel the opposite, love fighting the big one, use all my arsenals.
I just melee the smaller machines.

It's kinda annoying how there's no minimum safe distance for some of them as far as lunges go and then you get stuck under them.

I gathered that but sometimes the kneejerk reaction from devs to "improve this kind of enemy type" is to make them more powerful. The AI and their team tactics needs to be significantly better. Vehicles/mounts/weapons platforms would go a long way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom