• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animator

Outside of the graphics I don't actually find Horizon's open world particularly immersive or interesting when it comes to pure exploration. Zelda, Witcher 3 and Skyrim all have better designed worlds but Horizon is better in other areas.

Disagree completely with you on that.

Good shit, what a great game.

And yes,
ted fucking faro
is the absolute worst ever holy shit. During one of the last cutscene conversations I
fired an arrow through his hologram out of frustrated anger I wouldn't get to kill his ass lol

Very near end spoilers about motivation:
i personally think fucking Ted kinda snapped and his unbelievably cruel sabotage of Apollo was his mind basically breaking under the guilt of his epic fuckup. It's not everyone who can say their egotistical jackassery literally killed billions of people and you had to watch it happen knowing you'd be one of the last to die

Speaking of which, why did
Ted have the ability to delete Apollo?

Falchion

Does anyone know how to get around the photo mode issue where in certain places you can't manipulate the camera at all? It seems anytime I'm in a space where the camera could be impeded by buildings or walls, I can't play around with it at all.

Radec

I'm level 38 and the main quest I'm on is level 18. Is this normal / okay? It doesn't seem overly easy luckily.

I believe the quests level is what you'll be if you only do the main quest and no other else.

I'm like 47 while doing some quest under 20 and still not that easy as well.

TTG

I don't agree one bit as far as TW3 and Skyrim are concerned. As for Zelda BotW, I can't say for sure because I have only played about 5 hours or so.

Skyrim is probably the least interesting/most boring critically acclaimed open world game I have ever played.

The problem with Horizon's world, if you want to call it a problem, is the ways you interact with it are very few. There's combat, and that part is not at all shallow, but it's one thing. There's stock, linear dialogue and there's a really basic economy. I suppose there are text and audio files, because who doesn't love those. That's a limited range and you're made familiar with all of it in like the first 3 hours, the combat expands, but nothing else. For people looking for conventional RPG "depth" it may look empty. I've been watching people play Zelda and that thing is on another planet, but of course they're not going for the same thing. Combat in that game is sitting at the back of the bus.

Does anyone know how to get around the photo mode issue where in certain places you can't manipulate the camera at all? It seems anytime I'm in a space where the camera could be impeded by buildings or walls, I can't play around with it at all.

Yes, you can't control photo mode camera in certain circumstances. For example in towns/cities and cutscenes.

calder

Speaking of which, why did
Ted have the ability to delete Apollo?

The only thing that makes sense:
he had "omega" level clearance which was presumably even higher than Elisabet's alpha prime. I think maybe no one knew he had that extra level of access (the alphas sure were surprised 😳!) and he had it only because his company basically paid for the project in the beginning as they were the only tech company capable of building all the stuff required when the crisis first started and the world didn't realize just how apolocolyptic it was going to be. In a terrible/funny way his stupid refusal to have a back door in the swarm started the whole mess, but at least he leaned that lesson!

st4UVJR.gif
jesus

leng jai

Disagree completely with you on that.

I don't get it, what's interesting about exploring in Horizon aside from looking at the sights? You never find interesting NPCs or loot, the settlements are all boring and there aren't any elaborately designed locations to discover either. Like I don't mind running around for 10 minutes or so to look at the visuals but I could never just wander around for an hour just discovering stuff like those other games.

The problem with Horizon's world, if you want to call it a problem, is the ways you interact with it are very few. There's combat, and that part is not at all shallow, but it's one thing. There's stock, linear dialogue and there's a really basic economy. I suppose there are text and audio files, because who doesn't love those. That's a limited range and you're made familiar with all of it in like the first 3 hours, the combat expands, but nothing else. For people looking for conventional RPG "depth" it may look empty. I've been watching people play Zelda and that thing is on another planet, but of course they're not going for the same thing. Combat in that game is sitting at the back of the bus.

I think every one of those games have their world working for their own strenghts. I won't play Zelda but I asume exploring different interactions and dynamic surprises must be one of the cores of the game to build your adventure. You explore for stories in The Witcher III and hunts. You explore for machine combat and lore in Horizon.

I don't get it, what's interesting about exploring in Horizon aside from looking at the sights? You never find interesting NPCs or loot, the settlements are all boring and there aren't any elaborately designed locations to discover either. Like I don't mind running around for 10 minutes or so to look at the visuals but I could never just wander around for an hour just discovering stuff like those other games.

I've found quests just by exploring and places that the plot or side quests won't take you. I've fought against many machines of different types just because I was wandering around and I've found documents and audio logs that expands the lore which is one of the game strenghts. I also find the npc interesting, not everyone and they are not award winning characters but they go from ok to good imo.

The only thing that makes sense:
he had "omega" level clearance which was presumably even higher than Elisabet's alpha prime. I think maybe no one knew he had that extra level of access (the alphas sure were surprised 😳!) and he had it only because his company basically paid for the project in the beginning as they were the only tech company capable of building all the stuff required when the crisis first started and the world didn't realize just how apolocolyptic it was going to be. In a terrible/funny way his stupid refusal to have a back door in the swarm started the whole mess, but at least he leaned that lesson!

there's even a clip where he argues with Lis for a back door and GAIA agrees with him. I imagine the reason for his clearance is because he funded and insisted on a back door. All the other Alphas and Sobek thought he had no idea about how the stuff worked, but they'd explain certain elements to him for the funding.

I have to disagree with this. I've found many interesting NPC. Not all of the side quest / errand characters are memorable but a good amount are. Some are also found in out of the way places you have to search for... as for location design, there are places that make my Jaw drop. The ruins are amazing for one....

Niks

Love the game.
Im 25 hours in and loving it. It has some issues, (facial animation and some voice acting) but guerrilla has created a wonderful game. Looks gorgeous on vanilla PS4. Cant imagine how it looks on a PRO.

Amazing stuff.

steven28

I've been playing for about 14 hours so far,and at first i thought it was just good but as time has gone on i completely love it.As i started to get more weapons and experiment with the combat it's just fantastic.The world is amazing,i just enjoy wandering around looking at the sights.It's also the best looking game i have ever seen in my life,completely unbelievable what guerrilla games have managed to pull off here.

Skux

I'm level 38 and the main quest I'm on is level 18. Is this normal / okay? It doesn't seem overly easy luckily.

Levels don't matter that much. Your only growth stat is health, which isn't that important compared to resistances and dodging.

Since the gameplay is action based you still have to aim for weak points and plan your strategy. You can't just faceroll content by pure numbers, which I really appreciate.

Some facts about the Thunderjaw I found in one of the E3 vids from a while ago. Can't find a YT link but here:

24m long, 10m wide
93 destructable armor plates
271 animations
67 vfx
12 attacks
550,000 polygons

Wonder if they've released more stats like this.

Guerrilla Games were always masterclass when it came to technical prowess, but with how amazing the design, music, and storytelling turned out in this game I think they are cemented as one of Sony's top 3 first party studios. The other two being Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Played a ton today as I came down with a cold. I did a couple story missions, but mostly focused on exploring/collectibles and side quests.

I have the map totally filled in now as I climbed all the tall necks, also got all the collectibles (vantage points, vessels, figures and metal flowers) so now I can just focus on the story and side missions/errands.

I'm at a little over 36 hours played and game completion at 62.36%.

Jamaro85

They need to allow you to drop your stack of rocks. If you have a load of desert glass and are trying to flip it for resources (you can obtain metalburn) you end up getting stuck with a lots of boxes of rocks. You have to go chucking them if you want to clear out your treasure box inventory.

Leeness

Haha so I had to fight my first snapjaw today and I was so scurred of fighting it in open combat, I spent 15-20 minutes clearing out every smaller machine in the area, set up like five blast wires between me and the snapjaw, stood at the end of the blast wire maze and shot the snapjaw's canisters with fire arrows, they exploded, it ran at me, hit two of my five traps and completely blew up before it could get to me.

Very happy :D

Then I saw the storm birds and thunderjaws on the way to Meridian and cursed life.

They need to allow you to drop your stack of rocks. If you have a load of desert glass and are trying to flip it for resources (you can obtain metalburn) you end up getting stuck with a lots of boxes of rocks. You have to go chucking them if you want to clear out your treasure box inventory.

Inventory management is one of many big improvements they can make, now or in the sequel.

Zackat

*plot spoil*
eWWHOWS.png

f20vejH.png
Fuck Faro...

you ain't lying

Haha so I had to fight my first snapjaw today and I was so scurred of fighting it in open combat, I spent 15-20 minutes clearing out every smaller machine in the area, set up like five blast wires between me and the snapjaw, stood at the end of the blast wire maze and shot the snapjaw's canisters with fire arrows, they exploded, it ran at me, hit two of my five traps and completely blew up before it could get to me.

Very happy :D

Then I saw the storm birds and thunderjaws on the way to Meridian and cursed life.

they are so satisfying to fight though!

Thunderjaw takedown on Very Hard with minimal HUD. Didn't use its disc launchers against it - just good ol' traps, and freeze / hardpoint / tearblast arrows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNj-l366lAQ

Want to try the corrupted zone with the 2 Rockbreakers on Very Hard without taking damage. Should be a fun challenge.

I beat my first Thunderjaw without using its disc launchers, I had no idea at the time and those are kinda scattered far away from me so I didn't notice. It was quite tense but his attacks are all still pretty easy to dodge. After it's stripped of its parts, it's just a simple charging bull. They need to buff the Thunderjaw.

Zackat

I beat my first Thunderjaw without using its disc launchers, I had no idea at the time and those are kinda scattered far away from me so I didn't notice. It was quite tense but his attacks are all still pretty easy to dodge. After it's stripped of its parts, it's just a simple charging bull. They need to buff the Thunderjaw.

they need to make the disc launchers a lot harder to break off. like 5x harder. one tearblast arrow and they are gone, with no mods even.

It just about 5 days since I finished this game. I've done a lot of thinking but I think this is one of my favorite single player games ever - definitely my favorite since Mass Effect 2.

IKizzLE

49 hrs. Platinum. Hard. Hopefully the sequel comes out in 2019 because I can't wait any longer than that and I hope I never see killzone from GG again.

Late game impressions:
The reviews really missed the mark on how woefully bad human combat is and how insanely prevalent it is. The game seems to be relying on throwing dozens of stupid human enemies your way that can sometimes take 4 powered up arrows or more to their bare naked face. It's so bad at times I avoid side quests that will make me take on hordes of humans.

Also, the lack of technical polish on cutscene transitions is jarring and disappointing. I hate how audio crosses over itself in the worst way. Aloy can be talking to herself while listening to an audio file while someone is talking to you. I feel they should have made less side quests and instead focused on polishing these things, but I'm sure dev teams don't really work that way.

One last problem I have is some machines rely on cheezing you with area of affect moves that cause you to stumble. It's frustrating.

Overall I love the game and it does deserve praise, but these issues will probably keep me from returning after I have finished. I'm also disappointed that I called the story from the first 2 hours.

BTW, this game desperately needs a clamber feature for chest high rocks and walls.

Neverfade

Get to Meridia. Erend, a person I have a rapport with, asks me to
look into the death of his sister
. Golly mister..sounds like an awful lot of trouble. This isn't even my business.

Walk down the street. "Hey stranger, I've misplaced my sword, can you please go on a 8 leg quest to track it down for me?" Right on it!

Mmmmkay. :p

Outside of the graphics I don't actually find Horizon's open world particularly immersive or interesting when it comes to pure exploration. Zelda, Witcher 3 and Skyrim all have better designed worlds but Horizon is better in other areas.
Eeeeeeeeh. Earlier I agreed with you on HZD's lackluster settlements, at least in comparison to TW3. On this score though I don't agree at all, and enthusiastically where Skyrim is concerned.

leng jai

Eeeeeeeeh. Earlier I agreed with you on HZD's lackluster settlements, at least in comparison to TW3. On this score though I don't agree at all, and enthusiastically where Skyrim is concerned.

Well Skyrim is always contentious because I have like 200 mods installed so it's basically an entirely different game compared to vanilla.

You're telling me that outside of pure visual fidelity that Horizon is anywhere near as interesting to explore compared to Zelda or Witcher 3? That would make it best game of all time contender for me considering the main story and combat is far better than W3.

Something's up with the share menu in this game. Been noticing that recorded videos have "skips" in them at random periods, like the video jumps ahead a few seconds even though the time hasn't changed. This and the fact that the share menu takes 10-30 seconds (sometimes longer) to show up makes me wonder if it's an issue with owning a physical copy of the game, or the game itself.

The JT

Neo Member
And I was gonna try to get into the main quest but ended up finishing up the all the caldrons, bandit camps, hunting grounds, and most collectibles. 50 hours in. Gonna be hard to top as GOTY for me.

TTG

Late game impressions:
The reviews really missed the mark on how woefully bad human combat is and how insanely prevalent it is. The game seems to be relying on throwing dozens of stupid human enemies your way that can sometimes take 4 powered up arrows or more to their bare naked face. It's so bad at times I avoid side quests that will make me take on hordes of humans.

Insanely prevalent? I would it put at maybe 80/20 in favor of machines. Have you been exterminating all bandit camps? Personally, I would have preferred Aloy kill less than 10 people all game, or not at all. But one thing Horizon has done that's really outstanding among other open world games is they have mostly eradicated the grunt or infantry class of enemy. Your average GTA mission involves shooting about 50 dudes in the face, Horizon swept a lot of that away. After 50 hours my total human kill count is well under 300.

Finally, with purple mods, one precision arrow head shot takes out a heavy, 2 arrows notched for a shot if you're going for center mass. Everyone else goes down on one breaker hunter arrow to the dome. This is on very difficult.

Apt101

I should really finish the story I can only play two or three days a week, and am only just now on the lvl 20 quest (while I am lvl 31). Hooked on exploring. The area with the mangrove trees is amazing.

Insanely prevalent? I would put at maybe 80/20 in favor of machines. Have you been exterminating all bandit camps? Personally, I would have preferred Aloy kill less than 10 people all game, or not at all. But one thing Horizon has done that's really outstanding among other open world games is they have mostly eradicated the grunt or infantry class of enemy. Your average GTA mission involves shooting about 50 dudes in the face, Horizon swept a lot of that away. After 50 hours my total human kill count is well under 300.

Finally, with purple mods, one precision arrow head shot takes out a heavy, 2 arrows notched for a shot if you're going for center mass. Everyone else goes down on one breaker hunter arrow to the dome. This is on very difficult.

Yeah it's very prevalent. Seems like I'm constantly clearing enemy camps, being ambushed, or just stumbling across hostile humans in and out of the main story. Unless I'm roaming the open world, hostile humans are almost always a part of my experience.

My major gripe is how bullet, or should I saw arrow, spongey they can be (not all). A dude with no helmet or protection on the face shouldn't take more than an arrow or two. I'm blasting off freaking heavy metal parts with arrows, you'd think they would destroy flesh.

My human kill count is probably well over 300, but I can't check right now.

Thanks for the tip on purple mods. Maybe it'll make the experience more enjoyable.

TTG

Get the tinkerer ability and load up on damage mods as needed. They mostly go down in one shot to the head. With how overpowering bullet time and stealth are against bandits, it's hard not to hit them in the head.

leng jai

Get the tinkerer ability and load up on damage mods as needed. They mostly go down in one shot to the head. With how overpowering bullet time and stealth are against bandits, it's hard not to hit them in the head.

Bullet time is pretty much mandatory for headshots with how tiny the hitbox seems to be.

Late game impressions:

Also, the lack of technical polish on cutscene transitions is jarring and disappointing. I hate how audio crosses over itself in the worst way. Aloy can be talking to herself while listening to an audio file while someone is talking to you. I feel they should have made less side quests and instead focused on polishing these things, but I'm sure dev teams don't really work that way.

One last problem I have is some machines rely on cheezing you with area of affect moves that cause you to stumble. It's frustrating.

Overall I love the game and it does deserve praise, but these issues will probably keep me from returning after I have finished. I'm also disappointed that I called the story from the first 2 hours.

BTW, this game desperately needs a clamber feature for chest high rocks and walls.

The transition from gameplay to cut scene is super jarring and the audio gets in the way too many times. Also I faced yet another design issue which I experienced in witcher III as well. When I'm approaching to complete a task for a quest,I accidentally end up stumbling upon one of the 5-6 tasks of another side quest and end up failing to finish the order of tasks for that other quest and this unknowingly happens in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom