• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Only have side quests, one or two errand-type sidequests, some collectibles, and that hard as fuck two-Rockbreaker corrupted zone left. Fuck, this is such an amazing game.

vivekTO

Lunar FC

Finally finished the game. Absolutely loved it. But was kind of disappointed in the final battle. Thought it was going to be
one of those huge guys that had the tentacles and stuff. Aren't those the metal devils?

37 hours in exactly 1 month. I'm slow as fuck. I am reading this thread with some people having already put 100+ hours into it. I remember the time when I could do that and with games like this I do miss those opportunities. I just finished most of the side quests I found. Found every tallneck and did 2 cauldrons. It is time I get towards the main mission. I still have Level 21 main story missions while my character is 43. Damn enemies are sucking up my attention since every battle is fun. There's no better word for it.

nelchaar

Alright, I think I'm on the last story mission
looming shadow
. Do I need to finish all side quests/errands etc now?

geomon

Finally finished the game. Absolutely loved it. But was kind of disappointed in the final battle. Thought it was going to be
one of those huge guys that had the testicles and stuff. Aren't those the metal devils?

tenor.gif

dat spoiler

danowat

Banned
I'm in the milddle of
the mountain that fell
just at the part where you get to know that
Elisbet sacrificed herself to save Gaia
, so I am guessing I am getting pretty close to the end.

Ropecaster and all the cauldron upgrades makes the game pretty simple now, but you can still make it harder for yourself if you don't use them, but overriding some creatures can make for some really good radiant combat situations.

TrutaS

This is my first platinum. Absolutely loved the game. It's amazing all around, but for a sequel I'd like the following to be perfected:
- Variety in side-quests - there as a little bit too much scanning and following tracks.
- Ability to climb anything - instead of pre-determined climbing spots.
- A better climax - this one was perhaps a bit too snoozy, maybe because the bad guy didn't look particularly menacing.
Can't believe how tight the design was, how interesting the world and lore turned out to be, and how good the gameplay felt. Kudos! And bring on the expansions!

Future

Got to a second cauldron and I swear this feels impossible. I can't do shit

alligator bot I've never seen before and and enhanced version of another big robot. No cover. Arrows don't do shit. Both tanky as hell. Barely have time to aim before either bot does some attack that takes 75% health

This is leagues harder than anything I've fought to his point. I kinda want to exit out but don't really want to fight through this shit again.

danowat

Banned
alligator bot I've never seen before and and enhanced version of another big robot. No cover. Arrows don't do shit. Both tanky as hell. Barely have time to aim before either bot does some attack that takes 75% health

Tear the armour guarding the blaze canisters on it's head, then hit both with fire arrows and booomm

This is leagues harder than anything I've fought to his point. I kinda want to exit out but don't really want to fight through this shit again.

Sounds like you've taken it on too early. Snapmaws are vulnerable to fire. It'll be tricky to take them out without any kind of fire ammo. A tripwire with blast damage would do the trick too.

Future

Sounds like you've taken it on too early. Snapmaws are vulnerable to fire. It'll be tricky to take them out without any kind of fire ammo. A tripwire with blast damage would do the trick too.

I got the base fire arrows you get from the start of the game. I'll try tearing the armor off and shooting fire, but I have a hard time understanding exactly when armor is off and when there is a fire vulnerability. I've been shooting armor off, canisters, all kind of shit but I don't notice any difference in what I shoot next. But I'll give it a shot again after I get some sleep.

I didn't even know you could fight these things head on like that. Every encounter I've seen with a basic snapmaw I've stealthed through it. Let alone with another buff robot I've never seen

deicide2673

Neo Member
Level 40, I have all the weapons and most of the skill tree unlocked. Some of the trials just involve so a large amount of RNG to get the best time. Very frustrating.

I did pretty much all the blazing Suns after I got the power armour and was level 50. They were so much easier then. I think I went through all of them in an hour or so and most first time.

danowat

Banned
but I have a hard time understanding exactly when armor is off and when there is a fire vulnerability.

You'll see a blue item flying off when the armour is removed, when the canister is open to being fired on it will show bright yellow, rather than the dull yellow when it's hidden by armour.

edit : In focus mode obviously, don't forget you have to "refresh" focus mode as it only lasts a certain number of seconds.

FWIW, ropecaster makes it simple......

I got the base fire arrows you get from the start of the game. I'll try tearing the armor off and shooting fire, but I have a hard time understanding exactly when armor is off and when there is a fire vulnerability. I've been shooting armor off, canisters, all kind of shit but I don't notice any difference in what I shoot next. But I'll give it a shot again after I get some sleep.

I didn't even know you could fight these things head on like that. Every encounter I've seen with a basic snapmaw I've stealthed through it. Let alone with another buff robot I've never seen

You can tell a machine is in a vulnerable fire state (or freeze/stun) when the little circular icon with a fire symbol has filled up and they're visibly burning. You'll do more damage to them anywhere when they're in that state, though it only lasts for a short time.

Future

You can tell a machine is in a vulnerable fire state (or freeze/stun) when the little circular icon with a fire symbol has filled up and they're visibly burning. You'll do more damage to them anywhere when they're in that state, though it only lasts for a short time.

Yeah I understand the firestate when they are burning. But it seems I have to break the armor first and then burn to get the results like the poster above you said. I just have a hard time seeing that without focus while on the move dodging both the bots.

I think one mistake would be using the arrows that create the blast that knocks off canisters. Gotta keep the canisters on and burn them, right?

Hamlet

Finally finished the story and also platinumed the game on the weekend. What an amazing game. Haven't been captivated by a game like this in quite a while.
The story turned out to be way so much better than I ever expected and Alloy really is an amazing character. Absolutely loved the journey that she went on throughout the game. Lots of great side characters too.
The DLC can't come soon enough.

Elog

Like many others I got a platinum on my first playthrough. What a game.

Simply amazed by how good it was and how long time ago I had a similar experience. This game ends up in my own little hall of fame together with Bloodbourne, System Shock 2, Doom I/ II, Quake, WoW, Dota 2, Archon, Diablo and M.U.L.E (I am sure that I have forgotten something but as you can tell I am not that young anymore...) as one of those games that I only have great memories from (it doesn't mean perfect as games go - just perfect as to my experience).

Bring that DLC on and then the sequel!

Veelk

Banned
Man, the Shield Weaver outfit is OP as fuck. It took long as hell to get, but the final missions with it were just effortless. I could stand there taking direct hits and not even care lol

Zackat

I don't totally understand what the Shield Weaver armour is doing, is it built-in Quen?

you can take about 5 hits, no matter the damage, then it has to recharge. it will recharge 1 hit if you don't get hit consecutively. you will hear it beeping when you are low/it is recharging.

Got my preordered Collector's Edition Guide from Future Press in the mail today, holy shit at the size/weight of this thing. I'm not sure whether the longevity of play or combat complexity in HZD merits a guide for non-collectors since I haven't finished everything yet, but if you're into guides or just want a big book full of pretty HZD pictures then I'd take a look at it. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't get paid to say nice things about Future Press books but I would probably accept money if they gave it to me. I like money.

vJiQ8JX.jpg

a1jgme3.jpg

vyAecKM.jpg

Bough it this weekend on bookdepository, but have to wait like three weeks before it arrives. :(

Believe it or not it's my first video game book ever. :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Completed the Main Quest this weekend.
Surprised that it end up being really good sci fi ! :0
The ending was great, no silly twist or anything. Super hype for the DLC!

I do need more Nil in my life tho

bosseye

Is the other robot getting involved a Ravager? Looks and acts like a Sawtooth but with guns. If so, use tear to get the gun off its back, pick it up and rinse the Ravager in a few seconds. Its does ridiculous damage.

As for the Snapmaw, as others have said, tear off the armour on the blaze canisters on its head, then simple fire arrows until is explodes.

Also helps if you have a ropecaster able to pin one of them down for a few seconds - I forget which colour you need, blue one possibly.

AtkO

It kinda "breaks" the game, but I guess that was completely intentional, so you can just do stuff (finish side quests, trials, clear corrupted zones etc) without worrying about health management. An in-game, diegetic cheat, so to speak.

Nil is the best. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of him.

I'm so sad I killed mine :/

Also, it just hit me, they can do whatever they want with the story. I was wondering what they could do for the sequels and DLCs, but GAIA wasn't alone, and it was CLEARLY pointed out in the game that only GAIA received a special conditioning from Sobeck, or so to speak. Only GAIA had compassion and was "human".

danthefan

I think I need to get out of the hinterlands.

Have spent something like 17 hours so far just in the Eastern part of the map, doing side stuff, collecting stuff, doing hunter trials etc and am starting to get a bit jaded. Think I'll mainline the story for a bit.

I just had a theory, so I fired up the game to test it out. Turns out I was right! You can knock off elemental canisters and then shoot them while they're on the ground and still get the same explosion.

Oni Jazar

Anyone think the Tearblast arrows are OP early on? I think they should have held back giving to you until much later. It basically makes Hunter and Harvest arrows become much less important.

I love the combat so much, I just can't get enough. I want every fight to be epic. I started playing on very hard and it hasn't been very difficult.

Anyone think the Tearblast arrows are OP early on? I think they should have held back giving to you until much later. It basically makes Hunter and Harvest arrows become much less important.

I love the combat so much, I just can't get enough. I want every fight to be epic. I started playing on very hard and it hasn't been very difficult.

I think tearblast arrows are OP in general. Once you get them, there's nary a reason not to use them, especially because the resources used to make them aren't absurdly scarce.

That's the reason I left the sharpshot bow out of my hardcore run.

Just starting out with Horizon. Two questions:

1. Can you really only have 1 quest active at a time?
  2. Tutorial quest objectives only give me credit if said quest is active. Is this by design?

If the answer to both is "yes", this feels really shortsighted.

danowat

Banned

2. Tutorial quest objectives only give me credit if said quest is active. Is this by design?

Yes
Yes
Yes

and....

Yes?

Liamc723

Is it possible to find a Corruptor in the open world?

It's the last machine I need for the scanning trophy and I can't find a single one. I've checked multiple guides but there doesn't seem to be a distinct place to find them.

Is it possible to find a Corruptor in the open world?

It's the last machine I need for the scanning trophy and I can't find a single one. I've checked multiple guides but there doesn't seem to be a distinct place to find them.
No, I don't think so. You can replay the final quest and scan one.

jb1234

Played eight hours today (
up to saving Avad and Meridian).
The game is incredibly compelling. The story hasn't become wildly riveting yet but I like a lot of the characters and the world is fun to explore. And the combat is really fantastic. I die, a lot.

Only have side quests, one or two errand-type sidequests, some collectibles, and that hard as fuck two-Rockbreaker corrupted zone left. Fuck, this is such an amazing game.

My RockBreaker Strategy, I set up a large number of traps and tripwires Modified my Precision bow for maximum damage downward facing arrows. Using the precision bow because it can be deployed long range and it's quiet. I would shoot 1 rockbreaker from afar in his weak spot. He would come down to investigate and get caught in the traps and trip wires lots of damage. He will continue to investigate(and oh I had the stealth custom on) I sat still on the hill. He would go back to his pattern. I come down set up more traps and tripwires hit with the precision arrow, rinse and repeat, focusing on 1 Rockbreaker until he is dead, made it easier to fight the other

All yes, at leats tutorial quests don't matter at all, and you can complete quests that aren't active.

Question: Is there any game that allows you to have more than one quest active? Iirc every game I've played only let you have one active at a time.

danowat

Banned
All yes, at leats tutorial quests don't matter at all, and you can complete quests that aren't active.

Question: Is there any game that allows you to have more than one quest active? Iirc every game I've played only let you have one active at a time.

I'm sure I've played at least one, maybe Fallout or TW?

firelogic

You can only have one quest active at a time but if you're close to another quest, it'll pop up on your screen and you can decide whether to do it or not.

Top Bottom