• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Oni Jazar

Just starting out with Horizon. Two questions:

1. Can you really only have 1 quest active at a time?
  2. Tutorial quest objectives only give me credit if said quest is active. Is this by design?

If the answer to both is "yes", this feels really shortsighted.

What you can do is have the tutorial set as active and just set a map marker (flag) at your "active" quest.

Lulu23

2. Tutorial quest objectives only give me credit if said quest is active. Is this by design?

If the answer [...] is "yes", this feels really shortsighted.

I agree and completely ignored nearly all tutorial quests for this reason.

I'm so sad I killed mine :/

Also, it just hit me, they can do whatever they want with the story. I was wondering what they could do for the sequels and DLCs, but GAIA wasn't alone, and it was CLEARLY pointed out in the game that only GAIA received a special conditioning from Sobeck, or so to speak. Only GAIA had compassion and was "human".

I can see
Hephaestus
being involved in an upcoming sequel. It's the reason why combat machines started getting produced right?

Planet

Regarding Nil:
since he really begged for it, I did him the favor and killed him. Since that is very easy to choose, I can't see him playing a role in future installments or DLC. Most other NPC's fate is determined by script, not by the player, I don't think they will just say "this decision is canon, the other was not". Those you can kill are probably gone for good.
EDIT: I am sorry I used the wrong tags. :(

Idea for DLC. Combat arena. Closed area where you can set what kind and how many machines spawn. for example you could spawn in 3 Thunderjaws and a Stormbird.

So was there ever any definitive in-universe explanation for
why the weather would change so rapidly all the time?

In my headcanon I figured it was
some kind of side effect of Gaia rebuilding nature or something.

So was there ever any definitive in-universe explanation for
why the weather would change so rapidly all the time?

In my headcanon I figured it was
some kind of side effect of Gaia rebuilding nature or something.

I think there's not but a technical explanation was given. Something about making the game have the best possible light at all times.

Finally finished the story and also platinumed the game on the weekend. What an amazing game. Haven't been captivated by a game like this in quite a while.
The story turned out to be way so much better than I ever expected and Alloy really is an amazing character. Absolutely loved the journey that she went on throughout the game. Lots of great side characters too.
The DLC can't come soon enough.
I figured the Korra crowd would love this game, glad you enjoyed it.

Falchion

I love how this game starts out really difficult but gives you the knowledge and tools to feel like a complete badass. I remember early on I would see a Sawtooth and slowly stalk it, setting up traps and trying to line up an opening fire arrow volley at its canisters. Now I see a Thunderjaw, Stormbirds, herd of Behemoths, or whatever else and I just sprint right at them and start fucking them up.

I love how this game starts out really difficult but gives you the knowledge and tools to feel like a complete badass. I remember early on I would see a Sawtooth and slowly stalk it, setting up traps and trying to line up an opening fire arrow volley at its canisters. Now I see a Thunderjaw, Stormbirds, herd of Behemoths, or whatever else and I just sprint right at them and start fucking them up.
By the time the game is over pretty much me not killing something was me being merciful. It became really easy to fight stuff and win once you get used to everything. Even Behemoths got easy once you know to just hit the freeze tank with a freeze arrow.

If anyone was wondering how long it took to receive the platinum theme, I got mine in just under 24 hours (got the plat on Saturday evening, got the e-mail with the theme on Sunday afternoon).

rockbreaker corrupted zone was certainly challenging. Ropecaster is a beast though :D

yeah, by endgame the only genuinely intimidating enemies are rockbreakers and stormbirds, and then only because you can't murder them super quickly - it's still easy enough to neutralize their most dangerous attacks

Purist

Neo Member
Going throughout the world after finishing the story about a week ago. Just being able to successfully take down a Stormbird is a rush. So much explosion, I almost feel bad for it.

XzXnM5X.gif

1. Can you really only have 1 quest active at a time?

If the answer to both is "yes", this feels really shortsighted.

Yes, but the game is pretty dynamic in that if you step into the area of another quest, it will switch to that quest on the fly. At least that's what I've experienced. Not sure if others have as well.

Gaminar

Banned
Sunhi, why does your stuff look like CGI?

Are these touched up a bit with filters? Jesus. I know you're using the OG PS4.

Gaminar

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csW_oddXCNU

Equip with harvest bow and shoot from distance (don't zipline through the rope, they will fly)

I also had difficulty finding it but when i used the harvest bow, I instantly harvested 2 goose skin.

btw: I platinumed it already and in playthrough 98.3%

AMAZING GAME!

My hero!

Cinematic ratio :)

I can see that it's Letterboxed... possibly 24fps...

But wtf? Could you explain if Sunhi himself doesn't reply?

Also Magic looks like the right word right now.

Paganmoon

My hero!

I can see that it's Letterboxed... possibly 24fps...

But wtf? Could you explain if Sunhi himself doesn't reply?

Also Magic looks like the right word right now.

I'm really not sure, but I think the lower resolution of the gif helps (effectively downsamples/supersamples the image). Another thing is, the game really is gorgeous, but you might not really "see" it as much while playing as you are focused on the gameplay etc, whilst now you can just sitback and watch Sunhi gif's over and over and over and over and over again.

And of course its got to do with how Sunhi moves the camera as well, there are many gifs posted in this thread, but none really have the same "direction" as Sunhi so they loose a lot of what makes his gifs so great.

AtkO

Boy, they really nailed the combat feedback. I can't think of many other games that do it this well.

Fighting Rockbreakers/Thunderjaws/Stormbirds/Behemoths is really something very special. Fighting the smaller ones too, but these 4 never gets old.

Gaminar

Banned
Lmfao, funny story btw.

The second mission for Free Heap where you have to get the behemoth cables with those 2 perverts

I pretty much tripled on my corrupted arrow on two Behemoth's and one Crab. OMG...

It felt like a small battlefield from afar. The light in the night sky was fascinating with rocks being pummeled everywhere. Now I want a war game in the Decima Engine!

So impressed.

Gaminar

Banned
What platinum theme???

Apparently, the one that half of us registered with the Playstation Newsletter don't get. Sony doesn't even fix this shit.

I'm really not sure, but I think the lower resolution of the gif helps (effectively downsamples/supersamples the image). Another thing is, the game really is gorgeous, but you might not really "see" it as much while playing as you are focused on the gameplay etc, whilst now you can just sitback and watch Sunhi gif's over and over and over and over and over again.

And of course its got to do with how Sunhi moves the camera as well, there are many gifs posted in this thread, but none really have the same "direction" as Sunhi so they loose a lot of what makes his gifs so great.

I don't know man. It has some variant of a touched up lifelike colour palette. The supersampling/downsampling definitely helps. I play on the Pro on 1080P Supersampled (so much detail now, even my mind is going numb) but it doesn't look like this. Yes, it looks like CGI 65% of the time, but not like this. I think we miss the subtleties... look at the way Aloy's clothes move... this is ridiculous. I also now want to see Sunhi's Uncharted 4 screens.

Yopis

Curious what difficulty did you play this on? Sad game doesn't give a trophy for highest difficulty run.

Gaminar

Banned
Curious what difficulty did you play this on? Sad game doesn't give a trophy for highest difficulty run.

Oh fuck no... I am happy that this has been one of the best trophy lists ever. If people really need to learn something, this is how trophies are done. Compare this with the fucking impossible trophy list from KZ: Shadow Fall... my god.

lol I definitely played the game on Hard because I've noticed in recent years that most games on Normal are way too easy for me. It was difficult for all of 3 or so hours, but I became a legend soon enough.

Venture

Lmfao, funny story btw.

The second mission for Free Heap where you have to get the behemoth cables with those 2 perverts

I pretty much tripled on my corrupted arrow on two Behemoth's and one Crab. OMG...

It felt like a small battlefield from afar. The light in the night sky was fascinating with rocks being pummeled everywhere. Now I want a war game in the Decima Engine!

So impressed.
That may have been the most intense fight of the whole game for me, excepting the finale. Just nuts. Bits of Scrap and dead animals everywhere after the battle. Loved it.

Yes
Yes
Yes

and....

Yes?

All yes, at leats tutorial quests don't matter at all, and you can complete quests that aren't active.

Question: Is there any game that allows you to have more than one quest active? Iirc every game I've played only let you have one active at a time.
The Fallout games allow this.

You can only have one quest active at a time but if you're close to another quest, it'll pop up on your screen and you can decide whether to do it or not.

What you can do is have the tutorial set as active and just set a map marker (flag) at your "active" quest.

I agree and completely ignored nearly all tutorial quests for this reason.

Yes, but the game is pretty dynamic in that if you step into the area of another quest, it will switch to that quest on the fly. At least that's what I've experienced. Not sure if others have as well.

Thanks everyone.

Gaminar

Banned
That may have been the most intense fight of the whole game for me, excepting the finale. Just nuts. Bits of Scrap and dead animals everywhere after the battle. Loved it.

I think the craziest one for me so far was just watching this one from afar. They managed to kill each other within two minutes, minus the victor which was completely "naked". Took one arrow to the ass.

The other crazy one was crazy; it was 3 snapmaw's, 3 glinthawks, 3 watchers and 2 ravagers all in the same place. THE FUCK. I was wearing the weave armor so I barely took damage. BUT FUCK WAS THERE METAL AND EXPLOSION EVERYWHERE. I wish I recorded it.

noomi

37 hours in exactly 1 month. I'm slow as fuck. I am reading this thread with some people having already put 100+ hours into it. I remember the time when I could do that and with games like this I do miss those opportunities. I just finished most of the side quests I found. Found every tallneck and did 2 cauldrons. It is time I get towards the main mission. I still have Level 21 main story missions while my character is 43. Damn enemies are sucking up my attention since every battle is fun. There's no better word for it.

Dude, same as me! I can only play for an hour or two a day in the morning (not at all) so I have been taking my sweet time doing side missions, cauldrons, challenges...etc :p

Have one more cauldron and one more corrupted zone to go, then it's all main missions until the game concludes...

Played a bit more and had some fun. Game looks so pretty at times O_O

I think I figured out why the combat isn't clicking. The aiming at little weak parts on the dinos(that's what I call 'em) is so tiny that I find it hard to target when they're rushing you down so fast. I'm awful with thumbsticks and can't aim in time. Maybe it doesn't have a weak lock-on like other games? The slowdown upgrade helps a bit, but it runs out too fast

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im sure its been posted but WWE wrestler Becky Lynch last night in her Wrestlemania match.

well after the match actually.

Played a bit more and had some fun. Game looks so pretty at times O_O

I think I figured out why the combat isn't clicking. The aiming at little weak parts on the dinos(that's what I call 'em) is so tiny that I find it hard to target when they're rushing you down so fast. I'm awful with thumbsticks and can't aim in time. Maybe it doesn't have a weak lock-on like other games? The slowdown upgrade helps a bit, but it runs out too fast

Work on those thumb skills bruh

Majmun

Just finished the game. I liked it, didn't love it though.

I think the open world fatigue got to me. Rise of Tomb Raider and FFXV are still fresh in memory. Played and explored those in full. I was actually glad when Horizon ended. But the game was really good nontheless.

The world and its characters are really well done. I was finding amazing looking places 30+ hours into the game. But I hated the automatic climbing and the stupid human ai. And most sidequests were average at best.

I'm scared to start BotW now. Don't feel like exoloring another big world and running from place to place for the millionth of time. So I'll shelve it for later.

Guess will have to do with Persona 5!

Top Bottom