• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Anything else to this, or is that just a buttload of blast tripwires?

Tripcaster is probably the only weapon I don't regularly use, but this is making me rethink things.
It's a great pre-planning/ambush weapon. You set up a bunch of traps, start your attack, and then just wait for shit to charge you and fall to their demise. Also helps as a just in case other things join in. I once killed a sawtooth with my traps without even seeing how it died. It just charged into an area with like 5 traps in it.

After atleast 50 hours of grinding after finishing everything

165 hours
Everything Finished
All 48-50% Weapon Coils( Tear, Damage, Freeze, Fire,Corruption)
All Armor Weave 20+(Range attack, Meele Attack,Stealth)
200K Metal Shards

5XE4IAD.jpg

Guess i'll take a little break

Seems I have arrived at the last mission and I'd like to finish up side-quests first. Can anyone tell me the total number of side-quests and errands?

I currently have
Side and
Errands completed.

Mmm maybe Free Heap, there's one quest and one errand there.

Planet

Would that make it harder for me though, in terms of needing to level up for bosses etc.?
Of course it is a bit easier if you have the materials / storage space for lots of the better ammo, better weapons, higher quality mods etc., but you can adjust the difficulty if you need to.

Venture

Anyone else notice there's only one place in the entire game you can loot arrows? The Tallneck where
the Eclipse are trying to corrupt it
has arrows lying around to be picked up. Just seems kind of odd. Maybe it was a part of the original plan and they decided it wasn't necessary with the quick crafting system.

Anyone else notice there's only one place in the entire game you can loot arrows? The Tallneck where
has arrows lying around to be picked up. Just seems kind of odd. Maybe it was a part of the original plan and they decided it wasn't necessary with the quick crafting system.
The rock packs are another weird (annoying) thing like this. Got so many boxes filled with them that I can't delete, and I never really use rocks anymore for anything at all.

Yeah, I came across that area the other day and was a bit surprised to see them. I thought it was a different type or something at first but nope.

This game is all sorts of awesome, from the graphics to the combat and the world. Highly anticipating the DLC and inevitable sequel.

If I have to nitpick, it will be the lack of new game+ and no inventory management system. Still, this is one of my favourite experiences in years

Cudder

I've been playing for nearly 30+ hours, opened up the whole map, and thought I had seen every machine there was to see, when all of a sudden, on a leisurely stroll collecting ingredients I run into 2 "Rockbreakers."

I didn`t know they were new machines at first until they started burrowing underground and heading towards me. I let out an audible "holy shit!" when I realized these huge fuckers were new machines I hadn't discovered yet. What a surprising, long battle that was.

Venture

The rock packs are another weird (annoying) thing like this. Got so many boxes filled with them that I can't delete, and I never really use rocks anymore for anything at all.
It was a little amusing to see vendors selling packs of rocks. I could maybe, just maybe, see someone wanting to buy some in the first hour or so of the game. And then as you said, weird and annoying when they show up in loot boxes.

It was a little amusing to see vendors selling packs of rocks. I could maybe, just maybe, see someone wanting to buy some in the first hour or so of the game. And then as you said, weird and annoying when they show up in loot boxes.
If you could sell rocks (lol) or dump entire packs into your resources inventory it'd be one thing, but literally the only way to clear those out is to throw all of your rocks on the ground, open up two rock packs, repeat. Soooo tiresome.

Also, it bugs me a tiny bit that the Lodge Blast Sling uses retouched regular Sling art instead of retouched Blast Sling art for its icon. Definitely hoping any expansion adds a Lodge type to the other weapons, though (even including the spear and the tearblaster), a new outfits tier, a new skill tree (and raised level cap), and maybe even a new modifications tier.

Not significantly so, no. Game is much more about skill than stats. Also, you'll get enough XP through the main quests to get you to a good place, skill tree-wise, as well.

No, firstly because leveling in this game doesn't work like that, and secondly because you'll likely be at the required level anyway (or more than likely, over)

Of course it is a bit easier if you have the materials / storage space for lots of the better ammo, better weapons, higher quality mods etc., but you can adjust the difficulty if you need to.

Thanks y'all. Looking forward to playing this soon then.

That moment when you realize that if you slack off even just a bit against a pair of Scrappers or Sawtooths and you are toast...

You get the
Carja
bows and gear and yet you still feel the vulnerability of a child without mother in the wild.

Well done GG. Well freaking done.

This is the only game that has truly gotten my attention off of Rocket League. A testament to the fantastic game that GG have crafted.

That moment when you realize that if you slack off even just a bit against a pair of Scrappers or Sawtooths and you are toast...

You get the
Carja
bows and gear and yet you still feel the vulnerability of a child without mother in the wild.

This is the only game that has truly gotten my attention off of Rocket League. A testament to the fantastic game that GG have crafted.
I think the last non-stylish-melee-action game I played where my personal confidence and learning exactly how to deal with enemies made much more of a difference than my stats/inventory - let's call this learning curve vs. power curve - was probably RE4.

Lingitiz

Would it be possible for me to play this game doing nothing but the main quests, and avoiding any side quest shenanigans?

I did this in Watch Dogs 2 and loved it. I really don't want to get bogged down in the open world tedium of this game.

Horizon is a really lean game in terms of side content. There is a decent amount of it but it is fun for the most part but ignorable if you wish. Bloated isn't a word I'd use to describe it. You can probably mainline the story in 20 hours max.

You get the
Carja

They don't like being shot in the ass with shock arrows. That and once you have the right mods you can one shot the damn things with a dual shot of precision arrows. They're not too hard to sneak up on either. I wrecked a pack of them easily once.

prophecy0

The draw distance in this game amazes me sometimes, especially for the larger enemies. I was running around Meridian the other night and looked out toward the horizon and noticed a Thundermaw milling about.

Check out the screenshot:
bSyFgue.jpg

Man, I keep learning new things in this game. Like pulling human enemies off high ledges using the ropecaster, or setting off a "kill from above" just by jumping inches over an enemy. Also trying to see how high I can drop from:

Tgm1MHV.gif

holygeesus

Banned
The draw distance in this game amazes me sometimes, especially for the larger enemies. I was running around Meridian the other night and looked out toward the horizon and noticed a Thundermaw milling about.

Yep it is pretty damn good, especially on the Pro. There is some minor pop-in on closer textures, but it really is an amazing technical achievement. With all the effects going on during battle, and multiple enemies, it is pretty mind blowing that a PS4 can even get close to 30fps, especially at higher resolutions.

Check out the screenshot:
bSyFgue.jpg

I made note of this during my playthrough, too. I like that they maintain 30 FPS instead of being cut in half like in other titles such as Halo 5.

holygeesus

Banned
Any idea why the sharpshooter bow is less accurate at mid-range than the standard hunter bow? I have no handling mods on either, but it seems that should be reversed.

After atleast 50 hours of grinding after finishing everything

165 hours
Everything Finished
All 48-50% Weapon Coils( Tear, Damage, Freeze, Fire,Corruption)
All Armor Weave 20+(Range attack, Meele Attack,Stealth)
200K Metal Shards

Guess i'll take a little break

Nice! Good Job.

Any idea why the sharpshooter bow is less accurate at mid-range than the standard hunter bow? I have no handling mods on either, but it seems that should be reversed.
It's inaccurate as hell if you're shooting from the hip. Since you have no handling mods it takes longer for it to aim properly.

holygeesus

Banned
It's inaccurate as hell if you're shooting from the hip. Since you have no handling mods it takes longer for it to aim properly.

So you have to hold it back fully for a beat? It's becoming moot anyway as my hunter bow is now rocking those high damage/high tear arrows and as I mentioned before, fire arrows have been op-ed as all hell. I'm going to struggle when it comes to robots with weaknesses against ice, but I seem to have reached the last mission without even needing that elemental, which is a bit disappointing.

So you have to hold it back fully for a beat? It's becoming moot anyway as my hunter bow is now rocking those high damage/high tear arrows and as I mentioned before, fire arrows have been op-ed as all hell. I'm going to struggle when it comes to robots with weaknesses against ice, but I seem to have reached the last mission without even needing that elemental, which is a bit disappointing.
We clearly played differently since I just put purple fire mods on the hunter bow and the damage mods on the precision bow. The sharp shot bow is actually a really good damage weapon.

Sulik2

Man the
corporate future of the 2060s
presented in this game seems depressingly realistic. Loving the game, but everytime I get a collectible I feel like I should be outraged when I read it.

Moff

so, after the first 2 "bosses" (
big red dude that attacks the village after the initiation and the stegosaurus in the first cauldron
) I feel I am doing something fundamentally wrong. I mean I beat them, but they felt way too hard, I hardly did any damage to them and basically had to loose everything I had on them. I scanned them and tried going for weak points. Am I missing something?

Veelk

Banned
You know, fuck Ted and all that, but I do have to point out that
he may have been atleast a teensy bit right

Sylens is the first and only human to study and understand the past. First thing he does? Lets an evil AI loose on the planet. And after Aloy defeats it? He captures it again just to do the same thing over again.

I have to think about some of the character arcs, but I think there's an ongoing theme that characters don't fundamentally change. Like how Larsa is still a fundamentalist idiot even after she alters her view of Aloy, how Helis was always a psycho, how Sylenz himself, despite getting moments of compassion, doesn't change even after all the times Aloy calls him out on his assholery.

Erasing the whole of human culture is still a waste, since hte patterns repeat themselves anyway,
he may have had a point atleast insofar that if he leaves the knowledge of how to create AI again,
that'll just end with the first some of a bitch doing the same thing he did. Then again, Apollo wasn't said to carry instructions, just the record of human culture. It's hard to believe that wouldn't include instructions on how to build stuff, but it may have just been a giant history book.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You know, fuck Ted and all that, but I do have to point out that
he may have been atleast a teensy bit right

Sylens is the first and only human to study and understand the past. First thing he does? Lets an evil AI loose on the planet. And after Aloy defeats it? He captures it again just to do the same thing over again.

I have to think about some of the character arcs, but I think there's an ongoing theme that characters don't fundamentally change. Like how Larsa is still a fundamentalist idiot even after she alters her view of Aloy, how Helis was always a psycho, how Sylenz himself, despite getting moments of compassion, doesn't change even after all the times Aloy calls him out on his assholery.

Erasing the whole of human culture is still a waste, since hte patterns repeat themselves anyway,
he may have had a point atleast insofar that if he leaves the knowledge of how to create AI again,
that'll just end with the first some of a bitch doing the same thing he did. Then again, Apollo wasn't said to carry instructions, just the record of human culture. It's hard to believe that wouldn't include instructions on how to build stuff, but it may have just been a giant history book.

Apollo was designed as the ultimate teacher and was filled with thousands of safeguards against letting humanity fall into old bad habits and thoughts. By no means a guarantee but Elizabet and the rest were trying to create a new generation of humanity with all of our past knowledge but none of the hate, the cultural hang ups, the backwards thinking and so forth. One of the reasons they were worried about the Far Horizons colony ship was because it was an Alpha state of Apollo with none of those safe guards

so, after the first 2 "bosses" (
big red dude that attacks the village after the initiation and the stegosaurus in the first cauldron
) I feel I am doing something fundamentally wrong. I mean I beat them, but they felt way too hard, I hardly did any damage to them and basically had to loose everything I had on them. I scanned them and tried going for weak points. Am I missing something?

Do you have both slowdown mods available? Also, look for the heavy arrow weapon. Forget the name, but it makes short work of foes once their weak spots are exposed.

sn00zer

This game is so fucking good and it seems like th things that need fixing wouldn't require a radical change to its base gameplay.

Only things I want in the sequel.
1. Customizable clothing, some head dresses are just better than others
2. Make it a bit more clear whether or not talking matters
3. More guys and gals to go on missions with

How do you get Very Rare modifications that have a high enough percentage to max out a stat?

Behemoths, Rockbreakers,Thunderjaws Stormbird

the Rockbreakers and Behemoths are your best bet for getting the super rare one's

50% handling
20% damage
12%fire

Newboi

Behemoths, Rockbreakers,Thunderjaws Stormbird

the Rockbreakers and Behemoths are your best bet for getting the super rare one's

50% handling
20% damage
12%fire

Dang, I'm supposed to be playing Yakuza 0, but I might go back to Horizon to farm some good modifications lol.

Veelk

Banned
Apollo was designed as the ultimate teacher and was filled with thousands of safeguards against letting humanity fall into old bad habits and thoughts. By no means a guarantee but Elizabet and the rest were trying to create a new generation of humanity with all of our past knowledge but none of the hate, the cultural hang ups, the backwards thinking and so forth. One of the reasons they were worried about the Far Horizons colony ship was because it was an Alpha state of Apollo with none of those safe guards

The thing is that no matter whether Ted was right about the futility of trying to plant a "Good" society based on the ashes of our own, he at the very least didn't make things better by purging Apollo. The best case scenerio is that he didn't make things worse by doing so, assuming humanity is just going to keep enacting some kind of self destructive cycle. But at worst, yeah, he really fucked people.

The thematic content of the rest of the series suggests "People will always be people", for good and bad. On that level, Ted's actions make a small amount of sense because he's trying to prevent people from being people as long as possible. But ultimately, it's really hard to judge how things would have gone if he had left well enough alone.

Also, there is whatever external force keeps causing robots to go rogue. We don't know who sent out the signal that altered Gaia's programming, and I find it hard to believe that the Glitch that caused the Faro Plague was just a glitch either. It might also be that Humanity is being constantly set up to be destroyed by machines.

Dartastic

Uh. Has anyone else instinctively jumped off a cliff and hit x again and expected to paraglide?

...I just started playing this game after playing a ton of Zelda. I'm an idiot. *facepalm*

Top Bottom