• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

TwiztidElf

I just finished this game, and this is the first time I've ever wanted a film conversion.
This game easily has the best story ever in a videogame.
Please make a Horizon film Sony.

Veelk

Banned
Which one? One sells "junk" which can they be sold to another merchant for useful boxes.
I think it's kinda funny. I could understand being the middle woman/transporter if they lived in seperate cities, but they are literally a couple dozen feet away from each other, but apparently don't do business with each other because they never bother to advertise their wares.

So in comes Aloy with the primative economic understanding of buying for a nickel and selling for a dime, and walks off as the wealthiest party of the 3 with those two idiots completely unaware that they could have made more if they bothered to take a 20 second walk outside their little zone.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thing is that no matter whether Ted was right about the futility of trying to plant a "Good" society based on the ashes of our own, he at the very least didn't make things better by purging Apollo. The best case scenerio is that he didn't make things worse by doing so, assuming humanity is just going to keep enacting some kind of self destructive cycle. But at worst, yeah, he really fucked people.

The thematic content of the rest of the series suggests "People will always be people", for good and bad. On that level, Ted's actions make a small amount of sense because he's trying to prevent people from being people as long as possible. But ultimately, it's really hard to judge how things would have gone if he had left well enough alone.

Also, there is whatever external force keeps causing robots to go rogue. We don't know who sent out the signal that altered Gaia's programming, and I find it hard to believe that the Glitch that caused the Faro Plague was just a glitch either. It might also be that Humanity is being constantly set up to be destroyed by machines.

Well Ted fucked not just humanity by destroying Apollo but a lot of the world's biodiversity was basically lost in the process. Humanity was supposed to be educated by Apollo so they could reintroduce the rest of the species of plants and animals that were not essential to restarting the biosphere.

Jacknapes

Just finished. What a game, i'm utterly amazed at how brilliant it was. Loved the gameplay, loved the soundtrack and even the characters. It had just the right amount of stuff to do, whilst leaving the path open to explore.

I just finished this game, and this is the first time I've ever wanted a film conversion.
This game easily has the best story ever in a videogame.
Please make a Horizon film Sony.

Here is the cast, featuring the voice of Aloy as the face of Aloy!

dCEaQwW.jpg

For those of you who don't understand, click here

farmerboy

You know, this might be the first game that I've played where I think the graphics have truly added to the experience instead of being a pleasant "bonus".

GG have really nailed a sense of place, and I'm still at awe at how everything fits together so naturally. You can be in an open plain, see a stand of trees, head over there and suddenly there's a bit of undergrowth, it's darker under the trees and it even "feels" cooler. And you've only moved 50m. It's a real treat.

EDIT: Case in point below!

You know, fuck Ted and all that, but I do have to point out that
he may have been atleast a teensy bit right

Sylens is the first and only human to study and understand the past. First thing he does? Lets an evil AI loose on the planet. And after Aloy defeats it? He captures it again just to do the same thing over again.

I have to think about some of the character arcs, but I think there's an ongoing theme that characters don't fundamentally change. Like how Larsa is still a fundamentalist idiot even after she alters her view of Aloy, how Helis was always a psycho, how Sylenz himself, despite getting moments of compassion, doesn't change even after all the times Aloy calls him out on his assholery.

Erasing the whole of human culture is still a waste, since hte patterns repeat themselves anyway,
he may have had a point atleast insofar that if he leaves the knowledge of how to create AI again,
that'll just end with the first some of a bitch doing the same thing he did. Then again, Apollo wasn't said to carry instructions, just the record of human culture. It's hard to believe that wouldn't include instructions on how to build stuff, but it may have just been a giant history book.
So pretty much Daniels turns into season 5 McNulty?

Veelk

Banned
So pretty much Daniels turns into season 5 McNulty?

More like a sucky variation on Ozymandias from Watchmen.
Besides the Egyptian motifs, his plan, like Ozy's, was to murder innocents to protect innocents. He even has a "I already did it X minutes ago" line. I guess that's what got me thinking of Ted in a more sympathetic light, if only as far as he is trying to prevent something that might actually be inevitable. I actually like that while the Greek Mythology was pretty on the nose, the Egyptian mythology is far more subtly conveyed.

Sylens is the first and only human to study and understand the past. First thing he does? Lets an evil AI loose on the planet. And after Aloy defeats it? He captures it again just to do the same thing over again.

I have to think about some of the character arcs, but I think there's an ongoing theme that characters don't fundamentally change. Like how Larsa is still a fundamentalist idiot even after she alters her view of Aloy, how Helis was always a psycho, how Sylenz himself, despite getting moments of compassion, doesn't change even after all the times Aloy calls him out on his assholery.

Erasing the whole of human culture is still a waste, since hte patterns repeat themselves anyway,
he may have had a point atleast insofar that if he leaves the knowledge of how to create AI again,
that'll just end with the first some of a bitch doing the same thing he did. Then again, Apollo wasn't said to carry instructions, just the record of human culture. It's hard to believe that wouldn't include instructions on how to build stuff, but it may have just been a giant history book.

Nah. Sylens did everything he did in the pursuit of knowledge. So everything he did wouldn't have happened if Apollo hadn't been wiped.

There will always be shitty humans. Faro only insured they'd be able to blame ignorance for being evil. I like to think any sect of people that would've wanted to explore something that could potentially destroy mankind again would've been in the minority and heavily regulated by the masses.

Veelk

Banned
Nah. Sylens did everything he did in the pursuit of knowledge. So everything he did wouldn't have happened if Apollo hadn't been wiped.

There will always be shitty humans. Faro only insured they'd be able to blame ignorance for being evil. I like to think any sect of people that would've wanted to explore something that could potentially destroy mankind again would've been in the minority and heavily regulated by the masses.

And what, you think Sylens would have been like "Oh shit, I guess that's all there is to know, gonna go do something else now I guess". No.

The character arc of Sylens is that he pushes to pursue knowledge and advancement at any cost. That's basically what lead to the Faro plague in the first place. He founded the Eclipse. He brought the Hades AI into the world. And at the end, he states as much he'd do it again. And as soon as Hades is neutralized that's exactly what he does, uncaring that he might fuck things up again.

He or a character like him would definitely try again. And keep in mind, this isn't an indictment of either Ted nor Sylens. People should advance. The problem is a lack of care. The Faro plague started not because Ted Faro was evil, but because he didn't care to think what would happen if things went wrong. And Sylens is exactly that kind of dude. He doesn't care, he just want the knowledge.

That's what puts the ambiguity over Ted's decision. It was obviously wrong, because at worst it didn't help anybody and he murdered people over it. But at best, it did nothing at all.

I recorded some timelapses:

I've got more that I'll post later.
Thats some nice stuff! I'm nearly done with the follow up to my "non spoiler" time-lapse montage. This one is pretty epic by comparison, and features a remix of Aloy's theme by an artist from France named "Verso".

Perhaps I'll make some GIFs from my first time-lapse montage to share on here, but for now here is one from the recent "Ballet of the Nora" edit I did:

9JjEDg6.gif

I have more if anyone would like them :)

Not

Banned

I kind of got the impression that
the whole reason Ted destroyed Apollo was that he didn't want the future of humanity to eternally remember him as the shitheaded doofus who destroyed the world

The rock packs are another weird (annoying) thing like this. Got so many boxes filled with them that I can't delete, and I never really use rocks anymore for anything at all.

I had that same problem. Ended up just throwing my rocks at nothing so I could empty out those boxes. Such a silly little problem they could fix in a patch.

Speaking of inventory quirks, I have metal flowers and Banuk figures in my invenetory but when I talk to the merchants in Meridian that supposedly want those specific items, I can't pull them up. What gives?

David___

Banned
I had that same problem. Ended up just throwing my rocks at nothing so I could empty out those boxes. Such a silly little problem they could fix in a patch.

Speaking of inventory quirks, I have metal flowers and Banuk figures in my invenetory but when I talk to the merchants in Meridian that supposedly want those specific items, I can't pull them up. What gives?

You buy the boxes using the flower sets as currency.

Thats some nice stuff! I'm nearly done with the follow up to my "non spoiler" time-lapse montage. This one is pretty epic by comparison, and features a remix of Aloy's theme by an artist from France named "Verso".

Perhaps I'll make some GIFs from my first time-lapse montage to share on here, but for now here is one from the recent "Ballet of the Nora" edit I did:

9JjEDg6.gif

I have more if anyone would like them :)

That's awesome, would love to see more if you dont mind sharing.

Hi there,

Just want to check I haven't been spoiled on the games story as I haven't played it yet.

I was just reading this article:
7 reasons Horizon Zero Dawn is better than Uncharted 4

and I read this little blurb here:
In Horizon, immediately we've got the never-before-seen mesh of sci-fi dinosaur mechs and ancient tribes warring across the land, but that merely provides the backdrop (until near the end, anyway).

Was I spoiled? or
does it just mean the setting of the game goes from being a backdrop to the main focus of the game/story near the end? Or my worst fear, that the setting/world of the game is completely destroyed towards the end?

Edit:
Is this the premise of the game or a spoiler?
Aloy is on a quest to discover the origins of her own mother

Melchiah

I just checked a guide regarding allies, and I'm no worried that I'm screwed for
always choosing the middle option in conversations.
Is the
heart option
really required for some of them?

TedMilk

So I'm nearing the end of my second playthrough and I've only just learned about Rost's backstory... well that certainly wasn't shoved in your face. You have to speak to a specific NPC AFTER a mission, with no prompt to do so? OK then :/

Interesting, nonetheless.

alexbull_uk

I just checked a guide regarding allies, and I'm no worried that I'm screwed for
always choosing the middle option in conversations.
Is the
heart option
really required for some of them?

I picked all three throughout and it was fine in the end. I'm not sure that any conversation options make any difference in terms of trophies. Sole exception could be
Nil, because I think you have to not kill him.

Melchiah

I picked all three throughout and it was fine in the end. I'm not sure that any conversation options make any difference in terms of trophies. Sole exception could be
Nil, because I think you have to not kill him.

Good to know, thanks. I picked the correct option with the character you mentioned.

EDIT: I take it, that
Blazing Suns in Hunting for the Lodge
quest aren't required for the trophy either?

Cyborg

So I'm nearing the end of my second playthrough and I've only just learned about Rost's backstory... well that certainly wasn't shoved in your face. You have to speak to a specific NPC AFTER a mission, with no prompt to do so? OK then :/

How the fck did you miss that in the first playtrough. It seems logical that when you return you would speak to everyone in the room.

crispyben

Mind telling us how/when, please?

Does anyone feel like the level cap should've been waaaay higher than
? Maybe
100 or more
? I feel like I spent the last half of my playtime at max level. A few more weapons and outfits wouldn't have hurt. Other than that, it's a fuckin masterpiece.

Cyborg

Does anyone feel like the level cap should've been waaaay higher than
? Maybe
100 or more
? I feel like I spent the last half of my playtime at max level. A few more weapons and outfits wouldn't have hurt. Other than that, it's a fuckin masterpiece.

Yeah, It should have but I have more problems (in terms of beeing overpowered) with the secret
Armor
. The last mission whas easy.

That's how stars 'move' across the sky, because the earth is a spherical object rotating on its axis.
Indeed! Your answer came quicker than I was able to find a clear sky in Horizon. My goal was to record and post a "you win!" kind of GIF where I aim at Polaris (North Star) to basically achieve what you see in that photo

demonkaze

Haven't had the chance to play this much with everything else been released lately but I received my guide (future press) and it's a stunning piece of work! There's so much data packed into it and it's around 600 pages, as someone who used to work for Piggyback I have to tip my hat off to them, one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Top Bottom