• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

5VDuMoW.gif
So adorable...

Nice. The first one we saw already, but the other two are new.

That's right.

Pretty cool.

Great stuff.

Yep :)

Always loved some BTS , looking forward to some GDC presentation and talk as well.

Same!

More devs need to experiment and try other genres, transplanting their skills to other genres. They seemed to have nailed the combat based on footage and previews.

Have there been any interviews that go into depth about the ecosystem and intra-machine interactions? Ecosystems in open world games always tend to be feel kind of basic, but the clips I've seen seem quite advanced.

I agree.

I'm not sure, but I did find a video that briefly talks about the different ecotopes in Horizon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQH-zN7VdTU

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What I like about that gif is that the character design in game go against them in a lot of ways, they have VERY traditionally cute faces, (small noise pointy chin, makeup), compared to the in-game model.

Melchiah

Seriously I can't believe how fast the menus are. Have you played The Witcher III? Slow as molasses.

I played it briefly, but it's been so long I don't remember how the menus worked. Browsing through the outfits was pretty tedious in RotTR. The same goes for Dragon Age: Inquisition menus.

Read that the game has 25 different machine types. That pretty impressive for an open world ecosystem, especially when the machines also act as main enemies

Are there subtypes/variants for each as well?

Read that the game has 25 different machine types. That pretty impressive for an open world ecosystem, especially when the machines also act as main enemies

Well ive seen different types of watchers(the little alert guys)

1 type does like a flash bang but then there is also 1 that shoots like a red laser.

Guerilla has also hinted at several types of Thunderjaws.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

We've seen several versions of the generic deer bots that seem to depend on what environment they're found in as well as heard of some variations on the Bellowsback machines.

We've seen at least one variation so far (the antler/drill on the deer like robot). I don't think we've seen more then that yet.

Edit: Beaten and by a better post.

kyser73

There seem to be environmental variations - there's a grazer variant with drills in the ice/snow areas, and they also appear to have different colour liquid in their canisters.

Loudninja

Back at the reveal they also had a Thunderjaw that had spears and arrows in it from a fight against a village.
You'll note that this particular Sawtooth is already low on health, and that's how I found it. Horizon's world does its own thing even when you're not around, and this Sawtooth had clearly limped away from a fight with something... well... something worse, probably.

Even with the diminished health, this wasn't an easy fight! You'll see the enraged Sawtooth easily shrug off an electrified rope trap that should have stunned it and almost crush poor Aloy more than once.
http://mashable.com/2017/02/03/horizon-zero-dawn-gameplay-clips-preview/#PpFeUaZIOmqK

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd love to see boss versions of the more powerful enemies. An all black Thunderjaw or perhaps one that cloaks like those other bots.

Loudninja

Sounds like it.

On rather not their are Thunderjaw variations or others:
@danielpsneo for you to discover
https://twitter.com/dejongemathijs/status/827209640589025283

Ghost Robo fought another watcher that had more health and shot a beam.

Someone else said they fought a bigger sawtooth.

Have you seen the game Rain World? Slated to release this year. It's pretty much the game for "complex ecosystem that does its own thing when you're not there". Last I read, the ecosystem there has around 35-40 species.

Man hasn't it been ages since that game was announced it kind off fell of my radar.

Found this really good post in another thread. A lengthy directory of most of the trailers and dev videos
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227247749&postcount=587

This one probably makes me the most optimistic about the game. It's related to another point I had made earlier, that it's cool to see a dev try a new genre, but hearing them talk about that, and the struggles and challenge of it, is why I have high hopes for this.

Some have kind of dismissed it as looking like another Ubisoft-style game, but I think that's a bit disingenuous. Playing Far Cry 4, AC Syndicate, and especially the Ghost Recon beta, you can see how most of Ubi's open world games have fallen into a design rut. They have a formula, and they stick to it, with similar elements cross-pollinating their various games

But Guerrilla doesn't have that. They may have an idea of what an open world action-RPG needs and how it should play, but they can craft their own structure and style from the ground up. No baggage, no formula or well-trodden structures to reuse. It's akin to, say, Ueda trying his hand at an FPS, or Naughty Dog making Uncharted 1. Probably why it took them 6/7 years to make the game

What was the last time we got an entry in the genre that didn't come from a developer who's been making open world games forever? Maybe I'm forgetting some, but it doesn't seem like there's been one in a while. United Front Games and Sleeping Dogs comes to mind.

Horizon seems like it could have the potential to present the genre from a new set of eyes. The preview impressions of the combat and the story-driven focus seems like that might be possible

Found this really good post in another thread. A lengthy directory of most of the trailers and dev videos

This one probably makes me the most optimistic about the game. It's related to another point I had made earlier, that it's cool to see a dev try a new genre, but hearing them talk about that, and the struggles and challenge of it, is why I have high hopes for this.

Some have kind of dismissed it as looking like another Ubisoft-style game, but I think that's a bit disingenuous. Playing Far Cry 4, AC Syndicate, and especially the Ghost Recon beta, you can see how most of Ubi's open world games have fallen into a design rut. They have a formula, and they stick to it, with similar elements cross-pollinating their various games

But Guerrilla doesn't have that. They may have an idea of what an open world action-RPG needs and how it should play, but they can craft their own structure and style from the ground up. No baggage, no formula or well-trodden structures to reuse. It's akin to, say, Ueda trying his hand at an FPS, or Naughty Dog making Uncharted 1. Probably why it took them 6/7 years to make the game

What was the last time we got an entry in the genre that didn't come from a developer who's been making open world games forever? Maybe I'm forgetting some, but it doesn't seem like there's been one in a while. United Front Games and Sleeping Dogs comes to mind.

Horizon seems like it could have the potential to present the genre from a new set of eyes. The preview impressions of the combat and the story-driven focus seems like that might be possible

Agreed. I feel like Horizon takes inspiration and ideas from games they like to play and are also popular and give them their own voice. The game honestly feels more inspired by Skyrim, Witcher and Far Cry than just Far Cry alone. Even then the concept behind the game is pretty fresh to me.

jdstorm

Banned
this game is looking like its going to clean up this year when its GOTY season.

I think Horizon looks great, but its going to be facing an uphill battle. GotY winners normally release closer to the end of the year to be fresh in reviewers minds.

Furthermore there are a lot of Huge potential GotY titles due out this year.

Zelda, Horizon and Mass Effect are all march contenders and we havent even gotten to Super Mario Oddessey, Red Dead 2, Destiny 2, Assasins Creed after a year off. Ghost Recon:Wildlands. And thats without including all the Holiday games that havent been anounced yet

Microsoft will likely have something splashy to play on Scorpio at launch. Nintendo is teasing Retro's new project (as well as Xenoblade 2) Sony is going to have a big holiday title.

Skux

Well UC4 stayed on people's radars long enough to scoop a lot of GotY awards.

If the game is great, people will remember it.

One I can recall is Rocksteady with Arkham City and I loved that game.

I think Horizon looks great, but its going to be facing an uphill battle. GotY winners normally release closer to the end of the year to be fresh in reviewers minds.

Zelda, Horizon and Mass Effect are all march contenders and we havent even gotten to Super Mario Oddessey, Red Dead 2, Destiny 2, Assasins Creed after a year off. Ghost Recon:Wildlands. And thats without including all the Holiday games that havent been anounced yet

Microsoft will likely have something splashy to play on Scorpio at launch. Nintendo is teasing Retro's new project (as well as Xenoblade 2) Sony is going to have a big holiday title.

I think what Horizon has going for it that the others don't is that it's a new IP. If it delivers, I think it's easily capable of being in the GOTY running.

But there will likely be stiff competition this year, for sure. Lots of great games are coming out. I don't think being released early in the year matters. UC4 released in May, and Bloodborne was in March.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

There's a GAF shoutout in that second video (when they're showing off some of the earlier concept art). Oh again when they're talking about how nervous they were about how the public would perceive the game. They're watching us guys lol.

Elfstruck

Oh yeh, I forgot Mario and ME. This year is indeed stacked.

I think what Horizon has going for it that the others don't is that it's a new IP. If it delivers, I think it's easily capable of being in the GOTY running.

But there will likely be stiff competition this year, for sure. Lots of great games are coming out. I don't think being released early in the year matters. UC4 released in May, and Bloodborne was in March.

I saw ppl say Overwatch deserved GOTY over Uc4 because it is a new IP. Let's see if ppl will say the same this time around

Top Bottom