• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

Haven't watched much of the recent footage, but did they balance the human battles well? What I mean is, your weapons are powerful enough to take down machines so I imagine that against humans, your weapons should be extremely deadly.

I saw ppl say Overwatch deserved GOTY over Uc4 because it is a new IP. Let's see if ppl will say the same this time around
I mean, not just because it was a new IP

vivekTO

Haven't watched much of the recent footage, but did they balance the human battles well? What I mean is, your weapons are powerful enough to take down machines so I imagine that against humans, your weapons should be extremely deadly.

Well like other games the Bow will always be overpowered with regards to human enemy. in some of the previews, Headshots from bow are doing insta kill, You can use trap and other items just like on machines, the only difference will be the Hp of the machines making them invulnerable to one shot kill.

I think the weapons scale upwards with respect to machines rather being overpowered to human, although headshots will always be overpowered.

kyser73

Watching those BTS clips two things stood out:

Guerrilla's awareness that the Helghan lore was at least liked and stronger than the mainline stories.

The EU versions of the clips all had a Pro sting for the tail, the US one just had the standard 'For the players' sting.

Worth watching IMO. Even if there are lots of crossover & similarities with existing titles, I think this game will be a good example of the 'honing' side of game development. Rather than lots of innovation, it takes existing concepts & combines them to hopefully end up with something more than the sum of its parts.

And goddamn! The Thunderjaw - in fact all the robos - are just exceptional pieces of engineering design. There is so much thought gone into the why of each machine, not just 'Hey, looks cool!' but actual functionality.

So far the human combat has not shown off super well. Early bandits seem to go down real quick with either the bow or spear, and the human AI was kinda slow to respond to your actions. I would imagine humans later on in the game from the more "powerful" tribes probably have better armor that makes them harder to take down. Whether or not the AI improves (or will be improved for release) remains to be seen.

sirap

Watched through a ton of previews and everyone seems to be in agreement that the gameplay and combat feels super tight.

Very happy about that. The plot and world-building can be meh as long as the game feels fun.

Man this game looks phenomenonal graphically, but for some damn reason I just can't get into the way it plays. I don't know if its because it reminds me of Far Cry because the gameplay looks a tad bit uninteresting.

Hopefully when I play it I'll have a different tune because the visuals do look great. Hoping for the story to be good.

vivekTO

Man this game looks phenomenonal graphically, but for some damn reason I just can't get into the way it plays. I don't know if its because it reminds me of Far Cry because the gameplay looks a tad bit uninteresting.

Hopefully when I play it I'll have a different tune because the visuals do look great. Hoping for the story to be good.

After seeing all the Preview gameplay video???

I'm not sure how someone can come away thinking the combat looks uninteresting or comparable to Far Cry after having watched footage of it if I'm being honest. It's super intense, the visual feedback is superb, and the way in which you can approach fights/take down enemies is varied (weak points, breakable parts, etc). Just by memory, I can tell you that even the boss fights in Far Cry Primal pale in comparison to a lot of the regular robotic enemies in Horizon.

Loudninja

I'm not sure how someone can come away thinking the combat looks uninteresting or comparable to Far Cry after having watched footage of it if I'm being honest. It's super intense, the visual feedback is superb, and the way in which you can approach fights/take down enemies is varied (weak points, breakable parts, etc). Just by memory, I can tell you that even the boss fights in Far Cry Primal pale in comparison to a lot of the regular robotic enemies in Horizon.
Yeah its odd to me.

bunkitz

Really enjoyed those BTS videos. I always find it fascinating, listening to developers talk about what it's like working on a game, but it's especially interesting hearing how Guerrilla had to evolve and change in order to make Horizon. It's rare to see a dev switching to a genre so different from what they're used to, but it looks like it turned out really well, so I hope other devs would learn from this and try out new things to.

On the other hand, I am loving the concept art for Aloy. Gonna be a pain spending that much money again, but I am gonna love getting my hands on a copy of The Art of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Eh, the previews aren't helping. I feel like everyone has lost their words. Like fucking hell, stop comparing games to other games to describe them you lazy man you.

At least that's what I have been hearing and reading. Also, find one review that doesn't mention Dark Souls or Diablo in a Nioh review. So yeah, a lot of journalists are using Far Cry to describe this game.

wapplew

Eh, the previews aren't helping. I feel like everyone has lost their words. Like fucking hell, stop comparing games to other games to describe them you lazy man you.

At least that's what I have been hearing and reading. Also, find one review that doesn't mention Dark Souls or Diablo in a Nioh review. So yeah, a lot of journalists are using Far Cry to describe this game.

Usual business for new IP.

Jobbs

Banned
One of the reasons the Ubisoft open world formula is so boring, in my opinion, is there isn't sufficient variety and itemization. There's no sense of progress or seeing new things -- it's just a grind. If you play Farcry you'll be seeing and shooting the same dudes with guns (and tigers and shit) the entire game.

A fantasy setting is much better suited to this style of game. Ask yourself why Fallout games are so much more fun (at least if you feel like I do) than Ubisoft ones? It's because there's a rich fantasy world full of interesting enemy types and lots of variety.

Horizon has fucking robot dinosaurs.

I can't speak to its itemization yet, but they had me at robot dinosaur.

Judging by the previews, the world building in Horizon is amazing and that alone shouldn't be compared to Far Cry or Tomb Raider, but rather The Witcher 3 or Mass Effect, imo.

Usual business for new IP.

You seem right on that, but I think it's rather laziness. I don't think explaining what Horizon is without comparisons is an impossible task.

Chris Kay

Neo Member

Well it makes sense because you need to have a reference point to establish the frame of your description. Blanket statements like it looks like X or plays like Y are lazy if you don't extrapolate why it does. Unfortunately this also allows the projection of the negatives as well. Well I didn't like Z in that game that means this game will have it and therefore suck as well.

I can understand the Farcry comparisons because of the preparation, hunting, stalking and crafting. All elements I love. But then you need to further expand what parts feel similar and what parts are done differently.

Games are an evolving medium, all games borrow and hopefully improve on elements of previous ones. Let hope that Guerrilla Games have chosen wisely which ones to blatantly copy and which ones to improve on. Judging by the previews it seems they generally have made the correct choices on their first try.

Well it makes sense because you need to have a reference point to establish the frame of your description. Blanket statements like it looks like X or plays like Y are lazy if you don't extrapolate why it does. Unfortunately this also allows the projection of the negatives as well. Well I didn't like Z in that game that means this game will have it and therefore suck as well.

I can understand the Farcry comparisons because of the preparation, hunting, stalking and crafting. All elements I love. But then you need to further expand what parts feel similar and what parts are done differently.

Games are an evolving medium, all games borrow and hopefully improve on elements of previous ones. Let hope that Guerrilla Games have chosen wisely which ones to blatantly copy and which ones to improve on. Judging by the previews it seems they generally have made the correct choices on their first try.
Yeah, shorthand like that can be useful, since everyone knows how X plays or Y's genre, but can be detrimental if you choose the wrong game as a comparison or focus more on comparisons like that rather than letting the game speak for itself.

Loudninja

@AlextheManGR @TylerTouch no mini games indeed.
@pantheo91 @AlextheManGR @TylerTouch thanks, yes, dev focus was on the main game.
https://twitter.com/dejongemathijs/status/827834884529991680

Makes sense,but I do consider the hunter trailers and Tallneck mini games.

Going to watch this
We will play for a couple of hours :) and might take on a Thunderjaw, while our level is actually too low :)
https://twitter.com/jeroenroding/status/827641365173506049

The human A.I looks so dumb that I hope they put out a patch for that soon. It seems to stand out as particularly bad in an otherwise exceptional playing and looking game. They got the a.i for humans right in the Killzone series I don't understand how or why they would regress on that front

Chris Kay

Neo Member
Yeah, shorthand like that can be useful, since everyone knows how X plays or Y's genre, but can be detrimental if you choose the wrong game as a comparison or focus more on comparisons like that rather than letting the game speak for itself.
Oh absolutely. Unfortunately with games like this its kind of unavoidable. There are so many different elements combined in open-world games that overarching elements can't be distilled enough to create a simple comparison.

Take the combat for example. To me (haven't played it yet), it seems to borrow more from action games like Ratchet and Clank, Monster Hunter or even Vanquish. Yet you couldn't straight up compare Horizon to any of those games. You get the broad comparison like, oh it's Farcry meets the Witcher. It paints a very different picture of the game.

Who knows, Horizon may end up being its own benchmark in the future. Hey, this game has Horzion-like combat.

Oh absolutely. Unfortunately with games like this its kind of unavoidable. There are so many different elements combined in open-world games that overarching elements can't be distilled enough to create a simple comparison.

Take the combat for example. To me (haven't played it yet), it seems to borrow more from action games like Ratchet and Clank, Monster Hunter or even Vanquish. Yet you couldn't straight up compare Horizon to any of those games. You get the broad comparison like, oh it's Farcry meets the Witcher. It paints a very different picture of the game.

Who knows, Horizon may end up being its own benchmark in the future. Hey, this game has Horzion-like combat.

Having played the game at PSX in December the game feels nothing like Far Cry, it's closer to TR in terms of her mobility. The combat is its own beast and doesn't even really feel like Monster Hunter either. I think the Far Cry part comes from certain aspects of how the UI and map look. That stuff is pure surface level similarities though. It's mission structure is definitely influenced by Witcher 3

The human A.I looks so dumb that I hope they put out a patch for that soon. It seems to stand out as particularly bad in an otherwise exceptional playing and looking game. They got the a.i for humans right in the Killzone series I don't understand how or why they would regress on that front
The structure alone (open world vs corridor) would significantly alter things. I think things are far more complex here because of balance with so many other things. I'm not excusing it but I think it would be quite a bit more difficult with Horizon compared to Killzone.

The structure alone (open world vs corridor) would significantly alter things. I think things are far more complex here because of balance with so many other things. I'm not excusing it but I think it would be quite a bit more difficult with Horizon compared to Killzone.
Also the Dino's seemed to have gotten most of the love

viHuGi

Banned
Human AI is my only complaint.

Thank God for no mini games I hate those, I like Challenges and secondary missions though but that Witcher 3 card game missions were terrible, I just don't like that.

Also I hope the girl doesn't get to OP along the way lol Witcher 3 did it right.

Lack of romantic quests though =/ loved those in Witcher 3!

Yeah, you can definitely see it. If the robos have good to great AI, I think they made the right choice to scale back on human AI. I'm sure they would have it all good to great if they could.
I fight humans in enough games could take them out completely make them Dino's a threat(judging by the few previews I watched they certainly are)

I fight humans in enough games could take them out completely make them Dino's a threat(judging by the few previews I watched they certainly are)
I didnt even think there would be human enemies, so they're just a bonus for me

Do we know if other tribes and enemies act independently of you? As in, you might encounter other hunters going after dinos, or enemies and robots in a battle

I didnt even think there would be human enemies, so they're just a bonus for me

Do we know if other tribes and enemies act independently of you? As in, you might encounter other hunters going after dinos, or enemies and robots in a battle
Yup you actually see it in one of the preview videos idk which one I was watching tho sorry
Hunter's were attacking a thunderjaw and ir was lighting them up lol

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Human AI is my only complaint.

Thank God for no mini games I hate those, I like Challenges and secondary missions though but that Witcher 3 card game missions were terrible, I just don't like that.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Couldn't careless about human AI. Robots are the magic of this game for me.

No mini games makes me sad :/
Personally I love it. The decisions sounds like it's born from Guerrilla's style of open world, versus a developer just following their usual open world formula

By mini-games, are they talking about like Rampage missions in GTA? Or like how Bioshock's hacking was a mini-game?

Personally I love it. The decisions sounds like it's born from Guerrilla's style of open world, versus a developer just following their usual open world formula

By mini-games, are they talking about like Rampage missions in GTA? Or like how Bioshock's hacking was a mini-game?

Talking Gwent in Witcher 3 or fishing in FFXV, racing, archery. Those are the kind of mini games I'm referring to.

Talking Gwent in Witcher 3 or fishing in FFXV, racing, archery. Those are the kind of mini games I'm referring to.
There are archery time trials according to the tweet

But yeah, I'm glad the game doesnt have that kind of clutter that seems to be in every single modern open world game. Much like guns in Watch Dogs 2, it tends to feel like those missions are there because that's on the checklist of what an open world game needs to have, with no regard for whether they actually suit the game

Gwent is an exception though because it's also tied to the main game, in getting more info from characters and whatnot

I'm kinda glad there are no romance options. I thought that stuff was kinda neat in Mass Effect, but ultimately it's not like it actually added much to the game, for me.

As for mini-games, if they mean something like the leisure activities to get lost in like in GTA, Yakuza, etc., then yeah, that would've been cool to have, but if they left out something like hacking mini games then I'm fine with that not being there.

TheFatMan

I'm not really sure where to ask this on here, so I figured this thread might work.

I have the collectors edition pre ordered on Amazon, and I want to update the shipping address. I have heard that changing the payment method will kick you out of line, but what about changing the shipping address?

I only ask because it is out of stock and I don't want to lose my pre order.

Top Bottom