• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn, PS4 Pro Patch is out 1.02

xion4360

2160c 30fps + HDR for me, can't wait.
Performance also already seemed virtually rock solid outside of that one house too, going to be glorious. Finally only a few more days...

Just to clarify, when people say, "downsampling" that can be interchanged with "super sampling"?

Yup.

CBR doesn't scale anything. It shades half the pixels of its final target, and reprojects the other half

I understand it's not scaling and that's why I put it in quotation marks. I was trying to say it's still rendering at a higher resolution and would therefore have a performance impact vs standard 1080p

Nicodemic

Well, time to celebrate.

AojP146ccYxj2.gif

Just to clarify, when people say, "downsampling" that can be interchanged with "super sampling"?

Supersampling means rendering graphics at a higher resolution but doing the final rendering output at a lower resolution. There is no downscaling because the final render is already matching the screen resolution.

Downsampling means a higher output resolution downscaled to fit your screen resolution.

Slightly different but essentially the same thing when you look at it.

Tyaren

Has it been clarified what the "advanced effects" are in the 1080p mode?

I don't think there are any, to be honest. :/ It looks pretty much identical to standard PS4.
I don't know why anyone would rather play in the 1080p mode. High resolution mode already has a very stable framerate and on top of a higher resolution it also has better textures and texture filtering.

I bought a PRO for this game even though I only have a 1080p Monitor.

Think it was worth it?

Yes, it looks outstanding downsampled.

Dahaka

What I want to see (well, hear) is a fix for the surround sound issue which DF reported.

They reckon that all dialog comes through both the center and one of the side speakers. Can't remember if they said left or right.

That would be incredibly annoying.

Did these two patches fix this?

ok, from the patch notes they didn't.

Just curious, did we end up getting final word from the experts at DF over any differences in graphics for the new performance mode?

From what I have read in this thread it sounds like I will be sticking with high res mode.

I bought a PRO for this game even though I only have a 1080p Monitor.

Think it was worth it?

I am biased, because I am also a Pro owner with a 1080p BenQ monitor, but personally I don't regret my decision at all. Every game that has offered a "high res" mode has been noticeably sharper for me, on my screen at least. The only game I go with FPS over resolution is Nioh, gotta love the 60fps action mode in that game.

teiresias

Just curious, did we end up getting final word from the experts at DF over any differences in graphics for the new performance mode?

From what I have read in this thread it sounds like I will be sticking with high res mode.

I am biased, because I am also a Pro owner with a 1080p BenQ monitor, but personally I don't regret my decision at all. Every game that has offered a "high res" mode has been noticeably sharper for me, on my screen at least. The only game I go with FPS over resolution is Nioh, gotta love the 60fps action mode in that game.

I also prefer the FPS modes on Infamous:SS and Infamous: First Light. They just play and feel great at the higher frame rate.

I also prefer the FPS modes on Infamous:SS and Infamous: First Light. They just play and feel great at the higher frame rate.

Yeah, I have gone back and forth a lot in those games. As you said, the graphics in those games (that engine is just great) are already fantastic and still hold up as higher end PS4 visuals currently, and the FPS boost is pretty nice as far as control responsiveness.

I definitely don't blame ya.

SuoGrey

Traded in my launch PS4 for a pro because game stop had that $50 extra credit thing going on. SO glad I did <3

GReeeeN

How do you "enhance visuals" when increasing performance... isn't that contradictory??

So does this option actually INCREASE visuals on a 4k level AND deliver smoother performance?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It defaults to resolution mode even on a 1080p display, right? Don't want to start up the game without making sure that's sorted.

Haines

Banned
Usually im top of this shit but im a bit lost.

I get the game tmrw night. If i want the best mode for my 4k tv do i do any changes in settings?

How do you "enhance visuals" when increasing performance... isn't that contradictory??

So does this option actually INCREASE visuals on a 4k level AND deliver smoother performance?

This is what I am hoping to have cleared up by the guys at DF.

The way I understand it, one way it COULD work is if it works kind of like Rise of the Tomb Raider, where you had a high res mode (4k mode) and an "enhanced graphics mode" which had same resolution as default game but added graphic effects/density.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So does Performance mode sacrifice the IQ from downsampling on a 1080p TV then? Is there more aliasing and stuff?

Yes

Apparently the only difference is that there are now no drops at all but at 1080p instead of checkerboard 4k with few minor drops. Sounds like only those very, very sensitive to framerate will want to chose performance mode.

It's not clear if the performance mode keeps the improved textures and AF though. Those are for sure in the 4k mode.

AEREC

Not sure if related to the patch but I'm unable to progress past the opening intro. it's crashed in two different places within the first 5 minutes.

Retail version and latest patch installed (1.02), may just try and completely delete everything and reinstall.

dmix90

I noticed difference other than improved framerate using performance mode. The eye shaders look to be slightly refined and the DOF is rendered at a higher resolution, the hair is a little different too. Here is the comparison:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/201994

I will post more later.
This one looks better at resolution mode. Is it mislabeled maybe?

I personally only noticed better hair in cutscenes in performance mode.

cooldawn

I've been researching the answer to 'enhanced graphical features' for the last 30 minutes...

...I just want to play the damn game (in the best possible light).

Wish I knew what they are.

neoglow

Banned
Just downloaded the patch. It adds 2 modes:

- 4K Rendering with Checkerboard for 4K TVs, and downsample at 1080p for the 1080p TVs

- Performance Mode, which enhances Visuals and introduces smooth framerates(I dont know what that does, because tha game was already very smooth 30fps locked)

We need clarification from GG or DF here. Performance would suggest image quality is sacrificed to increase FPS, aka performance. However saying Performance Mode enhances visuals is very misleading. How can the image quality be enhanced AND increase performance/fps.

It can only be one or the other.

OR... Performance mode does infact increase image quality AND performance by reducing the resolution. Meaning more processing power is available to enhance the quality.

DF, we need you!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
We need clarification from GG or DF here. Performance would suggest image quality is sacrificed to increase FPS, aka performance. However saying Performance Mode enhances visuals is very misleading. How can the image quality be enhanced AND increase performance/fps.

It can only be one or the other.

OR... Performance mode does infact increase image quality AND performance by reducing the resolution. Meaning more processing power is available to enhance the quality.

DF, we need you!

It just means effects and such are increased in fidelty, but performance is still better because of the resolution being set to 1080p.

OG PS4 1080p 30fps with dips here and there.

PS4 Pro Performence Mode 1080p 30fps and enhanced visials while ironing out performance issues.

PS4 Pro Resolution 4K resolution 30fps with seemingly no dips

I am interested to see specifics in a DF analysis though.

III-V

I noticed difference other than improved framerate using performance mode. The eye shaders look to be slightly refined and the DOF is rendered at a higher resolution, the hair is a little different too. Here is the comparison:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/202022
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/202023
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/202025
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/201994

I will post more later.

Great shots, thanks!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
From what I can see thus far that's precisely what it does - it solves all of the slowdown issues.

However, those issues are very rare to begin with soooo...not THAT useful but still nice to have.

Any and all drops really annoy me so I'd personally use the performance mode, I'm glad it's there.

Top Bottom