• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I-hate-u

A perfect score from Jeff, the father of all cynicism in AAA gaming, is something great for Horizon. Never seen him this impressed by a first party Sony game to add.

VanWinkle

Would have been awesome to see a 90, but this is still FANTASTIC, and it's really tough for the first entry in a new ambitious series to score this high. Especially impressive for a game like this in a post-Witcher 3 world. Major kudos to Guerrilla. I hope people will take them more seriously as game developers (and not just tech guys) now.

This could certainly make for an eventual 90+ MC sequel.

I was thinking its Metascore would be between 80-83 (I pegged Zelda for the same range). Figured "open world gameplay with survival elements" fatigue would set in for critics. Also glad to hear that ridiculous side quest cutscene is no reflective of the overall experience.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Dutch site Tweakers.net gave the game a 9.5 score. There's both an extensive written review and a 10 minute video (all in Dutch).

kriskrosbbk

Since embargo is up - guys guys guys can I say something- from the review materials- ahem and I quote:

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

Is this 60fps mode or rock solid 30?

edit:GG to GG

Rembrandt

Banned
Debatable, and being overshadowed by other FPS is pretty irrelevant. Halo is overshadowed by BF1, Destiny and COD too.

It's kind of debatable.

Halo is better than KZ and has a more sustainable multiplayer, but Halo is irrelevant to this.

Killzone and GG has never had a super solid reputation.

sense

Great scores. Surprised by giant bomb. Congrats to GG, they really deserve a big hit that puts them on the map. Always felt that they put a lot of love and effort into killzone but it just never worked out for them.

With regards to that usgamer review, It always sucks to see an outlier and then read the review and kinda question whether it is genuine or not even though it most likely is. Maybe the reviewer was just not in the mood for this kind of game lol. Oh well

PR_rambo

Banned
Since embargo is up - guys guys guys can I say something- from the review materials- ahem and I quote:

"Horizon Zero dawn will receive a small day zero patch that will build upon PlayStation 4 Pro support, adding a Performance mode which will favor SMOOTHER FRAMERATES while delivering higher visual fidelity in the 1080p mode. This mode is available for both 4K and 1080p displays."

omg I love you parrot

Hydrargyrus

Great!!!
Can't wait to play it!

But it's really sad to see another abysmal review, like in every exclusive PS4 game. Seems a standard lately

VanWinkle

Dat Ars Technica quote:

Make no mistake: Horizon Zero Dawn is the rare triple-A single-player adventure that delivers on pretty much every front imaginable. The monumental story (technically, a few of them) is executed with mostly fantastic writing and acting, and it unfolds as players master the most exciting new battling system I've seen since Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. Horizon Zero Dawn also happens to be the most gorgeous game of the current console generation, combining light-soaked landscapes, shimmering robots, and rock-solid performance the whole way through.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is the issue, Guerilla is underrated and under appreciated. How are they questionable? SF was a rushed launch game.

Did you intentionally ignore my quotation marks?

I say questionable because the majority aren't fans of Killzone as a franchise.

I mean, up until Killer Instinct, who was a fan of Double Helix? Had they not been bought out, DH's future projects would have been met with far less cynicism. As will Guerilla's from now on.

Ugh variable framerate never feels right.

Zakalwe

Banned
Really hoping I gel with this consensus, the reviews read like exactly the kind of game I'm looking for right now.

This has been looking fantastic for the last few months and the preview content, quite excited by these reviews.

Now we wait...

spekkeh

Banned
I'm still going to get this game, but as someone who usually tires of stale genre tropes three years before the professional critics do, the USgamer and Eurogamer reviews are clear warnings for me that I'd better get it at a later point in time where it doesn't come in hot with a number of other open world games.

Loudninja

The good:
  • The most intense and exciting battle system I've seen in a game in years.
  • Aloy's combination of powers and personality make her the industry's next great hero.
  • Interwoven plot keeps multiple story threads interesting all the way through.
  • Dialogue, voice acting, and optional flavor text rarely let up.
  • You'll keep coming back to the in-game "photo" mode to capture so many breathtaking views.

The bad:
    • Combat against humans is a time-padding throwaway
    • Plot momentum threatened by multiple pacing issues
    • Climbing up cliffs and buildings and riding horses through rough paths isn't so satisfying
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...e-best-robot-safari-adventure-game-ever-made/

That last paragraph in the Ars review

Sony has yet to announce any DLC plans for the game, and there are portions and parts where I could see Guerrilla inserting more towns or quests. But, frankly, you may not need them. Horizon is huge in every way that counts, and it should be celebrated for doing what too many games don't these days: telling an enthralling, time-consuming journey that's already complete on the disc—and one we'll remember for years to come.

Very excited for this, gonna spend some time this week trying to score an early copy.

Nice to see great scores. Can't wait to play it. It seems as though GG has made a solid foundation to build upon, i hope the flesh out the RPG elements and expand the world in the next one.

Great start to 2017 for video games- GR2, Nioh, Resident Evil 7 now Horizon. Congrats GG!

The Pope

It's kind of debatable.

Halo is better than KZ and has a more sustainable multiplayer, but Halo is irrelevant to this.

Killzone and GG has never had a super solid reputation.
Killzone 2 has a 91 metacritic and was absolutely one of the best fps's of last gen.

takriel

Great scores. Surprised by giant bomb. Congrats to GG, they really deserve a big hit that puts them on the map. Always felt that they put a lot of love and effort into killzone but it just never worked out for them.

With regards to that usgamer review, It always sucks to see an outlier and then read the review and kinda question whether it is genuine or not even though it most likely is. Maybe the reviewer was just not in the mood for this kind of game lol. Oh well
Or, you know, the game might actually suffer from being too familiar and similar to other recent open world games, and some reviewers are growing tired of playing the same formula again and again. Hence they weight this aspect more than other, more positive ones for their final score. It happens, and is perfectly valid.

Would have been awesome to see a 90, but this is still FANTASTIC, and it's really tough for the first entry in a new ambitious series to score this high. Especially impressive for a game like this in a post-Witcher 3 world. Major kudos to Guerrilla. I hope people will take them more seriously as game developers (and not just tech guys) now.

This could certainly make for an eventual 90+ MC sequel.

Yep can't wait to play but part 2 could be something really great .
Seem they have a great foundation .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom