• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pope

GTA IV has a 98 on there and you'll see tons of people here call it terrible. No, it wasn't one of the best fps's last gen.

I've seen more people here praise resistance than kz2.
Fair enough. Lets agree to disagree but then you must concede there is no way to access the universal appeal of a game.

Man, why are there so many good games, aaaarrrrghhhh!! My backlog is already ginormous, need to resist!

But then again I told myself I wouldn't buy Switch only for one game at that price and instead buy a bunch of other awesome games on PS4...like this one.

Not a bad idea. There are likely to be some good Switch deals later on when it gets more exclusive titles.

Regarding the game's length, Ars review has this to say:

Sony's conservative estimate of "30 hours" of primary gameplay is ridiculous, by the way. Those 30 hours will get you through the primary quest lines only if you skip every side quest, conversation, and exploratory opportunity. A 40-hour estimate is closer to a reasonable count for players who take on the oodles of optional content right alongside the normal path. Utter completionists will need even more time.

Also this thread has been better than most HZD threads.
Which is funny since review threads can get crazy .
Any way happy for GG and now they can leave KZ behind .

Jyrii

Banned
Does any review mention the performance on a normal PS4?

I briefly browsed few reviews, but didn't find any info about this.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Assuming Zelda, Persona and Mass Effect are legit, could this be the greatest ever start to a year?

Nothing else comes to mind for me right now.

LotusHD

Banned
Also this thread has been better than most HZD threads.
Which is funny since review threads can get crazy .
Any way happy for GG and now they can leave KZ behind .

I mean, what can those with "concerns" really say? The reviews are glowing and far better than a lot of people expected lol

HMD

Regarding the game's length, Ars review has this to say:

Sony's conservative estimate of "30 hours" of primary gameplay is ridiculous, by the way. Those 30 hours will get you through the primary quest lines only if you skip every side quest, conversation, and exploratory opportunity. A 40-hour estimate is closer to a reasonable count for players who take on the oodles of optional content right alongside the normal path. Utter completionists will need even more time.

Wow, I thought this was a 15 hour game tops. Maybe that's why some reviewers didn't like it as much as others.

Peterthumpa

This thread was responsible to gift me with one review where I found the first Horizon screenshot that actually looks bad:

03-4.jpg

Amazing scores, can't wait.

LuuKyK

Will start to add quotes to the OP soon. Sorry if I am slow. :(

Anyway, congrats to GG seems like an amazing game. Very happy for them and for us that will get to play the game next week!

PR_rambo

Banned
Sounds like Horizon going to be up there with Uncharted and Bloodborne in terms of must haves for the PS4, fucking dope

What a strong start for a franchise and in a completely new genre that is just simply amazing are there any other studios who managed to pull that off?

Toki767

I will be curious to see how they add multiplayer to the sequel.

If Capcom won't make something resembling an HD Monster Hunter, this is close enough.

sense

Or, you know, the game might actually suffer from being too familiar and similar to other recent open world games, and some reviewers are growing tired of playing the same formula again and again. Hence they weight this aspect more than other, more positive ones for their final score. It happens, and is perfectly valid.
Like I said, it most likely is valid and the reviewer probably wasn't in the mood for these kind of games at the moment. I agree, there have been way too many open world games with a similar sort of structure. I just feel 2.5 sounds harsh for an ambitious new ip which seems to have done decently in all departments from story to gameplay to graphics etc...obviously the reviewer is entitled to his/her opinion.

dracula_x

sSwWOxu.gif

Dat Ars Technica quote:

Make no mistake: Horizon Zero Dawn is the rare triple-A single-player adventure that delivers on pretty much every front imaginable. The monumental story (technically, a few of them) is executed with mostly fantastic writing and acting, and it unfolds as players master the most exciting new battling system I've seen since Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. Horizon Zero Dawn also happens to be the most gorgeous game of the current console generation, combining light-soaked landscapes, shimmering robots, and rock-solid performance the whole way through.

finally, the first open-world western RPG with a good battle mechanic.

VanWinkle

Here's the big thing for me. I knew, or at least figured there was a very good chance, that the gameplay and the graphics were going to be good to great. Guerrilla has always excelled with that stuff. The big surprise for me is how many reviewers are HIGHLY praising the story.

That makes me so happy.

Gudji

Greg really likes Aloy. I haven't seen anyone talking shit about her, maybe we do have a new playstation icon.

Floody

Is it possible/likely for this to hit 90+? Because I hear devs get bonuses based on MC scores, it would suck if they miss it by 1 or 2 scores.

Possible but unlikely, usually go down a point or two as more reviews come in. It's extra unlikely if all the big sites have already scored it.

Cyberia

Let's start with those visuals. Ahead of launch in carefully chosen gameplay footage, you'll no doubt have seen just how stunning this game is. What's surprising is how the game remains consistently beautiful through every frame. Playing on PS4 Pro, this adventure is easily the best example of 4K and HDR I've yet to experience. If you've been looking for a reason to justify either a purchase of the Pro or an expensive new TV, Zero Dawn is it.
I didn't expect Horizon: Zero Dawn to be this good. I doubt I'll be the only one saying they were surprised that the Killzone developer has been able to deliver a game with such breadth, depth and consistently rewarding gameplay.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review

4.5/5

Gradly

I don't care about scores but what pisses me off is the non-logical reasoning behind that

There is no way this, ambitious new IP, complete-on-disk without a season pass announced before the official announcement, is disappointing (as per USGamer)
And there is no way this game sounds horrible to call it "this is far, far from a bad game" (as per Eurogamer)

Austin Walker from WayPoint also isn't too hot on it.

Knowing him, the game's dynamism is probably insufficient for him. His taste leans him in the Far Cry 2 dogma of game world design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom