• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised about these scores, had a hunch the game would "flop" and do the all too common mistake that is highlighted in the usgamer review:

The game never spoke to me but it seems that those of you that have been waiting for it might be in for a treat.

That quote is BS though. A game for those who love boring side quests?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Surprised about these scores, had a hunch the game would "flop" and do the all too common mistake that is highlighted in the usgamer review:

The game never spoke to me but seems those of you that have been waiting for it might be in for a treat.

Its an open world game, unless your zelda and have nostalgia glasses for older game design, i think we're still waiting for that big advancement in the genre.

The critisism of the open world genre as it has existed for a while don't go away unfortunately, especially since horizon has been in development all the while the genre was at its peak.

Taking away the subjective fatigue of open world game design, Horizon surely does what it sets out to do exceptionally well.

LotusHD

Banned
If I buy this now, I'll have to cycle through Zelda and Nier as well... May end up waiting tbh

Whose idea was it to release all these games near each other lol

The battle for Q1 just got more interesting in the three-way race between Zelda, Horizon and ME.

Doesn't matter because Persona will destroy all 3.

No faith in Nier huh
Fair enough.

Striek

You have a very unique opinion let's say... most think the first is average, the second is awesome and by far the best in the series, third is good and SF is horrible.

You are the complete opposite :)

KZ3 > KZ:SF > KZ2 > KZ1 for me, but I don't think any of them are all that great. I wrote a long-ass post about why KZ3 was better to KZ2 a few years ago but it ended with this:
"It makes me want to see what Guerilla comes up with next for the visuals and the gameplay, but if they can't fix their terrible storytelling abilities they will never have a true hit on their hands."

Sounds like they delivered on that front from most accounts :)

Gurish

Most of the Game of the Year candidate titles last year landed in the 85-89 range. It's pretty hard to get to 90+ these days.

I think only Overwatch, Uncharted, and Forza Horizon 3 did it last year of the $60 games last year.

And not even ONE game this gen got to the high 9 range (95+) which is pretty incredible year 4 into the gen.

I think Zelda has the best shot this year and even gen (until GTA6) to get there.

GHG

The game never spoke to me but it seems that those of you that have been waiting for it might be in for a treat.

So you're going to ignore all the other reviews just because this one matches your "hunch"?

Has anyone ever told you that sometimes your hunch is wrong?

Nev

Banned
You have a very unique opinion let's say... most think the first is average, the second is awesome and by far the best in the series, third is good and SF is horrible.

You are the complete opposite :)

Not really. Haven't played SF but I agree KZ3 is the best out of the first three. By far.

In regards to Horizon I predicted 77~ so I'm bound to eat a crow's wing at least. I'm glad it turned out better than that because the premise is great, but I'm not sold on it based on reviews, will have to try it myself.

I-hate-u

I hate people downplaying Killzone 2. At least admit the warzone game mode and the gameplay weight feel made the game more unique amidst the COD clones at the time.

JBwB

March is a crazy month and with Horizon scoring so well it's only getting crazier!

Just pre ordered it! I cannot wait to play it!

You did good GG.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I saw a lot of potential in the game from the beginning and its great to see it reviewing well. Had the game preordered since 2015

So many quality game releases so early in the year. Glad to see good games coming out every month (or should I say week)

lt519

I took the 26th to the 7th off lol. Ten days to soak Horizon and Zelda in, and then walk into work on the 8th like...

qdwb5.gif

It's a palate cleansing thing for me. Not sure I can do two open worlds at the same time and/or one after another without ruining my enjoyment by comparing them to each other. I'm taking the 3rd and 7th off too to play Zelda :)

Was about to place the pre-order but that Best Buy $25 off deal ran out. Was going to do that, Zelda Season Pass and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I guess I'll just hold off since Mass Effect is late March anyway. Oooof this'll be hard to hold off on with the good reviews though.

takriel

Because it's an outlier opinion. Highlighting only it adds more credence to it, when it doesn't come close to matching majority opinion.
The most important scientific advances stemmed from "outlier opinions" that went against the mainstream. Just saying.

Kuni

Really awesome to see Guerilla's work pay off. They've always been super talented but never could hit that high mark. But no more.

I'm super encouraged about the comments that this is a good open world that doesn't get too boring. I'm well over open worlds now but it can work in some games that know how to pace well. Seems like this could be a special one.

usp84

Wow i did not expect the reviews to be this good but it seems i will get this now.Still not done with Nioh and Zelda is coming too lol

Rad-

Better reviews so far than I had guessed (my guess was 83-84 metacritic). I might pick this up sometimes later this year.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
it will surely score as good as nioh at the very least, which is only a point away from horizon. these are still great scores.

That's not what I meant, I'm expecting it to review extremely well, I just don't think it is as popular as GAF would generally make out - this is strictly on a number of fans/mass appeal basis.

Assuming it is as good as expected, I still don't see it touching RDR in the GAF GOTY awards.

TsuWave

that review is pretty munch an outlier right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom