• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMD

Is it possible/likely for this to hit 90+? Because I hear devs get bonuses based on MC scores, it would suck if they miss it by 1 or 2 scores.

PSOreo

I have been honestly trying to avoid any information, videos or hype about this game since it's original reveal and showings at E3. I thought it looked stunning and imagined it would probably turn out okay but the "open world" stuff would bring it down. Also given Guerrilla's track record I wasn't expecting much from this game other than it being average but now I can't believe these reviews, I'm so excited!

leeh

Literally opened the thread and said dayum.

Looks fantastic. To all the people who have the time to enjoy this game, I envy you.

MavFan619

Banned
It's kind of debatable.

Halo is better than KZ and has a more sustainable multiplayer, but Halo is irrelevant to this.

Killzone and GG has never had a super solid reputation.
Killzone 2 has a MC of 91, Killzone 3 84. It's not exactly like they were universally hated games that people should think Horizon had zero chance of being any good.

Anticol

Banned
After reading GB's review I have to buy this day one, I still can't believe Jeff gave it a 5.
PS4 is killing it this year.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
With Zelda coming out at the same time, I decided to put this on the back burner. These review scores are making me rethink my decision.

This is me.

I'm not rethinking the decision, just kinda peeved that all this good software is being clumped together. I've barely scratched the surface on Nioh because For Honor is stealing all my free time, and I already skipped Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, and Resident Evil 7 to catch up on my backlog created from the holiday season. And now once I finish Breath of the Wild it looks like I'll have something special in Horizon waiting for me at the end of March.

Guess I'll just have to push back Nier:Automata and Persona 5.

*sigh*

No doubt they are popping champagne corks in Amsterdam. Well deserved.

Yeah must be enormous relief there.
The GG guys have been working on this the since 2011 and you can tell it's such a passion project for them.

They should definitely be popping all the Don P and Ace of Spades they can get their hands on haha

Van Bur3n

Impressive reception. Though the tribal setting still remains a bit of a turn off, perhaps I could get past it if the gameplay is as good as its made out to be. Although hearing about the rather poor stealth is unfortunate. It's typically my preferred play style in games.

Ilive1up

holy fuck. GOTY already? I have to wait to play zelda first but shit. ps4 is killing it this year with exclusives. props.

GHG

Killzone 2 has a MC of 91, Killzone 3 84. It's not exactly like they were universally hated games that people should think Horizon had zero chance of being any good.

Shhh don't tell them, let them live in a fantasy world where GG has put out bad game after bad game.

Spoilers? Or a shit show?
Latter. Sample: "Die in a fire, Sony"

Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone did spoil it. I remember waiting for Fallout 4 on Ars and someone spoiled a huge plot twist and people were furious. Like NeoGAF's juniors, Arsian Smack-Fu's in training are the ones likely to go amok

Pandemic

Wow, the reviews have been a lot higher than I expected, not that I had an expectation on this game as it wasn't even on my radar, but now it is. Looks solid.

CrayToes

Frankly amazing reviews and I expected no less. A huge congratulations to Guerrilla. Had the game pre ordered on PSN for weeks so I'm ready to go.

Goofy

Congratulations to the entire team who worked on this.

I can only imagine how good it must feel to see the reception!

Rembrandt

Banned
Killzone 2 has a 91 metacritic and was absolutely one of the best fps's of last gen.

GTA IV has a 98 on there and you'll see tons of people here call it terrible. No, it wasn't one of the best fps's last gen.

I've seen more people here praise resistance than kz2.

Gurish

ShadowFall isn't.

The first two are terrible. Third one was ok, ShadowFall is great.

You have a very unique opinion let's say... most think the first is average, the second is awesome and by far the best in the series, third is good and SF is horrible.

You are the complete opposite :)

Koobion

Some of these quotes are incredibly exciting. I did not expect so much passion and surprise to result from these reviews. Might have to go day 1 after all!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

The revisionist history around those games is fucking unreal, it's almost as bad as with Bioshock Infinite.

'I don't like this game therefore it's universally hated'.

Zakalwe

Banned
This revisionist history surrounding GG and KZ games...

Oh well, proof is in the results I guess.

EDIT: beaten, ha!

Loudninja

The Daily Dot 8/10
The open-world sensations of Horizon Zero Dawn are some of the best of the current console generation. Climbing snow-capped mountains and crawling through verdant valleys never fails to be as exciting. This apocalyptic wasteland feels remarkably dynamic, with randomized characters and enemies roaming the world and creating emergent encounters...Though Horizon doesn’t represent a revolution in open-world adventures, it borrows heavily from past success stories and elevates the genre to a beautiful new standard.
http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/horizon-zero-dawn-review/

zoukka

Nice scores. Will at least try it out at some point, but due to the genre it's a no buy from me.

Fuck me ...I still have not played ff15, last guardian and RE7 and now this?

Where can I find more time?

Slow it down, Sony!!!

You can make things easier for you and skip FFXV. Thank me later.

prudislav

i dont know , watched various gameplays, read bunch opf reviews, but am still not feeling it for some reason :-( ... might be the open-world exhastion or something

Damn, that's some high praise.

Man, why are there so many good games, aaaarrrrghhhh!! My backlog is already ginormous, need to resist!

But then again I told myself I wouldn't buy Switch only for one game at that price and instead buy a bunch of other awesome games on PS4...like this one.

Rembrandt

Banned
i dont know , watched various gameplays, read bunch opf reviews, but am still not feeling it for some reason :-( ... might be the open-world exhastion or something

A change of pace is always good. It's open world but I wouldn't compare it to the usual suspects.

Zekes!

Eurogamer isn't too hot on it

About to watch this Easy Allies review. Read Giant Bomb's, Eurogamer's and now this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom