• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - S1 on Netflix - Spacey & Fincher - *UNMARKED SPOILERS FOR ALL OF S1*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm very excited to see how this turns out. We know the direction will be good - I just hope everything else will be up to par. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be the next "Boss". (even though that show was pretty decent)

This distribution method is the future and I'm extremely hopeful that it finds success.

I guess they're approaching it more from a 13 hour miniseries rather than a traditional TV series.

It's actually getting a second season, so it's not a miniseries.

Necrovex

This is quite an interesting experiment. I will be there day one to see the possible future of television. I never expected Netflix to go down this route. They are becoming a combination of blockbuster and HBO. This excites me to no end.

- Sepinwall Interview: 'House of Cards' star Kevin Spacey on his return to television (sort of)
It’s been 25 years since Kevin Spacey was last in a weekly role on a television series, when he made CBS viewers sit up, take notice, and ask, “Who the heck is that guy?” with his performance as “Wiseguy” villain Mel Profitt, a charismatic crime boss with an unhealthy relationship with his sister and a drug addiction he hid by shooting up between his toes. (“The toes knows,” he would say while giggling, in a line I can still hear in my head a quarter century later.)

Technically, the two-time Oscar winner still hasn’t returned to television, as his newest role — as Francis Underwood, the ruthless, silver-tongued House Majority Whip in the new political drama “House of Cards” — is appearing exclusively as part of Netflix’s streaming video service. (All 13 episodes of the first season will be posted on Friday, Feb. 1.) But the series was made in the style of a premium cable drama, even though Spacey, writer Beau Willimon (adapting the early ‘90s British miniseries of the same name, which starred Ian Richardson as Francis), director David Fincher and much of the cast (notably Robin Wright as Francis’ calculating wife Claire) have little to no experience working in television.

I spoke with Spacey about his return to the format that launched his career, the advantage of playing the same character over a long period of time, and more.

So, i live in Denmark and use Netflix, will i get the show on feb 1st?
I haven't seen an official press release, but it sounds like it'll be up on Netflix Scandinavia:
Netflix will debut all 13 episodes of House of Cards through their Watch Instant service (available in North America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Latin America and Scandinavia) on February 1st, 2013.

Hindle

Banned
I never watch serialised drama on TV anyway. I always wait for the DVDs, the one episode a week format is annoying. I hope more series follow the lead of Netflix as well.

iammeiam

I sincerely hope this is amazing and marathon-friendly, like a really long movie. Between this and the Arrested Development revival, Netflix has as many 'new' series this season I'm interested in as any network.

Netflix is actually probably hoping a lot of people use the free month on this; then they'll have to pay for a month when AD hits.

Eric C

- Director's Guild Quarterly: Playing With a New DeckSome cool pictures and insight in this article.

They say Fincher directed the first two episodes.
After directing the first two episodes himself, he handed the reins to a succession of five established talents
"It almost felt like shooting an independent feature," says Carl Franklin

- Kate Mara 'House of Cards' Q&A: 'Kevin Spacey is so good at being bad'

Did shooting this feel like working in TV or like making an epic movie?
"It didn't feel like TV at all. Probably because of the people involved, it felt like we did six movies in a row and it was with the people that I want to be making movies with.

Interesting approach for a "TV" series.

Now that I know that ahead of time I'm thinking if I marathon it or watch it in blocks. I'll try not to stop watching for the day, when I'm only half way in-between each directors' "movie".

House of Cards - Episodes 1 & 2
David Fincher (Fight Club, The Social Network, Se7en)​

House of Cards - Episodes 3 & 4
James Foley (At Close Range, Glengarry Glen Ross)​

House of Cards - Episodes 5 & 6
Joel Schumacher (Phone Booth, A Time to Kill)​

House of Cards - Episodes 7 & 8
Charles McDougall (Desperate Housewives, The Office)​

House of Cards - Episode 9
James Foley (At Close Range, Glengarry Glen Ross)​

House of Cards - Episodes 10 & 11
Carl Franklin (One False Move, Devil in a Blue Dress)​

House of Cards - Episodes 12 & 13
Allen Coulter (The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire)​

Can HoC compete for Emmys with being an online only series?
Yup:
Q The Netflix series "House of Cards" is to start filming this spring. How do you feel about the fact that the show will not be on TV? Since it isn't broadcast on TV, will it be excluded from Emmy nominations?

A The world is changing, and we must change with it.

The first Netflix series, "Lilyhammer," is eligible for the Emmys, according to John Leverence, Emmys senior vice president of awards. The Emmys made broadband programming eligible in 2006. Shows must have a certain duration to avoid being entered as a short, and they must have at least six episodes. "Lilyhammer" is eligible on both counts, and "House of Cards" will be, too.

Now that there are devices that allow us to watch on a TV screen the programs we're streaming to our computer, I have no problems with it. It takes a few more steps, but it's still the same as watching a show on, say, HBO, which, like Netflix, is a premium service you pay for above and beyond broadcast TV or regular cable.

- TechCrunch Review: Netflix’s House Of Cards Could Be The Best Show You Won’t See On TV
If the first two episodes are any indication, Netflix’s bet on House of Cards should pay off handsomely. The show not only lives up to the production quality that we’ve come to expect from cable TV — in writing, acting, and directing — but it will probably surpass the expectations of many.

- Digital Spy Interview: Kevin Spacey 'House of Cards' Q&A: 'My role is diabolical, delicious'

ari

Banned
This, arrested development, and the killing? Hmm, seems like netflix is pulling a HBO with original(kinda) programming. Nice.

This, arrested development, and the killing? Hmm, seems like netflix is pulling a HBO with original(kinda) programming. Nice.

Is the Killing the former AMC program? That sucked.

And you forgot LillyHammer which aint anything special but it's still pretty funny because of Silvio Dante.

Can't wait for this one though. Need some good political thrillers again

I read that the killing will be back on amc, not Netflix. Has this changed?

Anyway, I will be following this thread to see how this series turns out. That'll help me to decide whether to get Netflix now or wait for the new season of arrested development.

Tobor

They have two more shows coming as well. Orange is the New Black(new series from Weeds creater Jenji Kohan), and Hemlock Grove( horror series from Eli Roth).

- Tampa Bay.com: Netflix shakes up TV series viewing with 'House of Cards'

- The Times (UK) Review: House of Cards, Netflix
The show may attract aficionados of American political dramas. But House of Cards does not hang on the rapid-fire dissection of policy such as in The West Wing, rather focusing on the tactical manoeuvrings that are the focus of The Ides of March. It is a cynical take on US politics, perhaps reflecting the dysfunctional political debate in Washington today. And it is gripping television regardless of what device you watch it on. 4 out of 5 stars.

- Sepinwall Interview: 'House of Cards' director David Fincher on making 13 hours for Netflix
David Fincher’s directing career was built on works that aired on television — just not the series kind. He made his bones as a director of commercials and music videos, before graduating to movies in the early ‘90s.

Now 20 years later (and after a few near-misses) Fincher is finally working on his first scripted television series, the political drama “House of Cards,” adapted from the acclaimed early ‘90s UK miniseries.Only it’s not technically a television series, but rather an original series produced for Netflix’s streaming video service, which will debut all 13 episodes of the first season (a second is already in the works) on February 1. It’s the approach Netflix used for a previous original series, “Lilyhammer,” and the way that Fincher has himself consumed the few TV shows he watches. But as an expensive production with big stars — Kevin Spacey plays the ruthless congressman at the show’s center, and Robin Wright his calculating wife — it’s something of a canary in the coal mine for this approach.

Earlier this month, another reporter and I sat down with Fincher to discuss the project’s origins, what he learned about telling a 13-hour story as opposed to a 2-hour film, and more.

Dabanton

Just a few days now. Then I can tuck into this. I'm going to try to watch two episodes an evening.

The original UK version is up on Netflix and is well worth a watch if only to see what Kevin Spacey has to live up to in the main role.

- Salon.com: “House of Cards” is the ultimate partisan TV show
The showrunner of “House of Cards” is well-acquainted with the corridors of power; Beau Willimon co-wrote the film “The Ides of March” and was a campaign worker for various Democratic Party campaigns in the 1990s and 2000s. We spoke to Willimon about the unorthodox distribution deal with Netflix and why the will to power may not be such a bad thing.

- From a recent Steven Soderbergh interview with NY Mag:
What TV do you watch?

Pretty much what you’d expect: Breaking Bad. Can’t wait for that next season. Mad Men. Boss. I feel very lucky because David Fincher sent me advance episodes of House of Cards. I’ve got three to go, and I’m totally hooked. What I like about all those shows is that there’s an aesthetic that’s adhered to no matter who is directing it. They have rules, there’s a tool kit. I don’t like seeing stuff where there’s no coherence to the choices that are being made. And all those shows are shot like movies. That train-robbery episode in the last season of Breaking Bad? They had like eight days to shoot that episode. That’s good shit! And House of Cards is the most beautiful thing you’ve seen on a screen. Oh, and I watch Girls.

LogicStep

EDIT: Replying to your edit, you can still watch it that way if you want. I'd rather watch it in 3 or 4 chunks. Others might want to marathon the whole thing. We all win here.
Exactly! I don't see why anyone would complain about this. This is actually awesome because those who like the traditional way can do so but for others like me I will be able to watch 2 or 3 episodes at my own pace. I wish everything was this way.

gblues

Banned
Exactly! I don't see why anyone would complain about this. This is actually awesome because those who like the traditional way can do so but for others like me I will be able to watch 2 or 3 episodes at my own pace. I wish everything was this way.

Amen. I was visiting my grandmother on my wife's side, watching Dish Network (ugh) and I commented that it was the first time I'd watched TV on someone else's schedule in a very long time. I hated it.

jagowar

Wait what? Netflix owns the rights to Jericho?

http://www.blastr.com/2012/06/jericho-star-still-hopefu.php

Also watched a podcast a few months ago with another one of the stars (can't remember which now) and indicated that it may still be in the works. I really think the success of this show will determine how much netflix invests in original content in the future. Hopefully this is a success because I would love more shows like this and jericho to be on netflix.

Talon

http://www.blastr.com/2012/06/jericho-star-still-hopefu.php

Also watched a podcast a few months ago with another one of the stars (can't remember which now) and indicated that it may still be in the works. I really think the success of this show will determine how much netflix invests in original content in the future. Hopefully this is a success because I would love more shows like this and jericho to be on netflix.
Jericho would be a financial black hole.

Netflix needs to invest in new content from known entities (House of Cards) or critically-acclaimed shows that they can track interest for (Arrested Development).

Jericho is neither. Same with Rome (which was a better show but just cost a shitton to shoot).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

The second article was a great read.

Jericho would be a financial black hole.

Netflix needs to invest in new content from known entities (House of Cards) or critically-acclaimed shows that they can track interest for (Arrested Development).

Jericho is neither. Same with Rome (which was a better show but just cost a shitton to shoot).

I would love them forever if they brought back Terriers.

- GQ: Is Netflix the future of cable?
The quirky little start-up that once printed money by mailing you DVDs is hell-bent on morphing into the HBO—and the network, and the any-show, any-time streaming service—of tomorrow. Can Netflix and its pathologically modest founder, Reed Hastings, pull it off? Who knows? But it's going to be fun to watch, starting this month with David Fincher's $100 million House of Cards. The only guaranteed winner in the bloody battle for the on-demand future? You. On your couch

JeTmAn81

I guess I didn't realize that David Fincher was involved in this. Now I'm getting pretty hyped. It'll be great to get a whole season all at once, so if it really catches you can just burn through a bunch of episodes.

jtb

Banned
I sure hope so. This is how I want TV presented and distributed.

Agreed. Any medium that has to rely on structured pent up demand in order to compensate for its shortcomings (storytelling, business or otherwise) is one that's being held back. If serialized television really has arrived as a serious and capable way of telling stories, then this kind of delivery system will prove it.

I just wonder how financially sustainable this is for Netflix. As it is, looks like they're spending big on their flagship shows (House of Cards and Arrested Development), one drama, one comedy, but everything else looks pretty average. Plus, as more movies expire on Netflix instant, I have less and less use for it. Hopefully they can keep it up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom