• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

TTOOLL

I'm on episode 5 and I don't think I can take it anymore. The show lost any sense of reality. Doug is the most powerful person on the show. Fuck off, fuck Doug.

WriterGK

For me it all went down hill wen
Conway became so agressive all the suddenly out of nowhere. And the Republicans for crying out loud leaking shiit to Francis himself during Elysium. That is some fucked up shiit. And the whole thing with the non voting stuff and Ohio and Tennessee not giving results was way too forced. It was all about Francis winning it wasn't fun. For me the only thing that should have happened was Conway winning.

Chase17

Through episode 10 now. There are so many plot lines that are just....there. Even the Conway/election thing ended with a whimper. There is really no sense of building to anything.

120v

Conway became so agressive all the suddenly out of nowhere. And the Republicans for crying out loud leaking shiit to Francis himself during Elysium. That is some fucked up shiit. And the whole thing with the non voting stuff and Ohio and Tennessee not giving results was way too forced. It was all about Francis winning it wasn't fun. For me the only thing that should have happened was Conway winning.

i think they never really got around fleshing out conway on screen, just turns out he was kind of a brat all along

his fate was pretty much sealed from the beginning, having the underwoods lose the whitehouse would pretty much be the end of the show. of course his reasons for losing were ham fisted but it was always going to happen

Through episode 10 now. There are so many plot lines that are just....there. Even the Conway/election thing ended with a whimper. There is really no sense of building to anything.
tottaly,

yup, and you had a parachuted Mark Usher who was no-where at the end of Season 4 in the Conway campaign then all of the sudden takes the reigns in S5

Chase17

I'm a couple minutes into episode 12.

HOW WAS THAT THE PLAN AND WHY DID IT WORK? Not sure this show is even trying anymore.

Claire the power is not here, not what after I found out. Aliens are real Claire and they need a ruler. I am going to be Space King. Knock knock. Season 6 gonna be awesomeeeeeee.

Tagg9

Yikes, general impressions for this season don't sound positive. Any thoughts from people who have finished it?

I agree him becoming unhinged as hell could have been avoided if he just listened to his wife a little more and took some breaks. he started getting too obsessed and aggravated with what the Underwoods were doing with the election and it cost him his mind and his win
i think they never really got around fleshing out conway on screen, just turns out he was kind of a brat all along

his fate was pretty much sealed from the beginning, having the underwoods lose the whitehouse would pretty much be the end of the show. of course his reasons for losing were ham fisted but it was always going to happen
they could have had the Conways win and have the rest of the season be the downfall of the Underwoods. This honestly could have been the final season with the way 4 ended

kwogfaf

I've been very forgiving to this show regarding its disregard for reality for the last few seasons, but the last half of this season went way too far into ridiculousness especially with
Frank pushing Catherine down the stairs literally just before she was to testify. And then it's basically never mentioned again and no one gives a shit at all.
I just don't understand how that made it on to the show. They didn't even bother to try to make it even remotely make sense.

JOKERACN7

It kicked off incredibly well and I was hooked! but they dropped the ball in the later episodes.
As always, I had a great time with it, the direction that they're going right now is pretty slippery, I mean the odds are high that they screw it up in the next season.
Anyways, how would you guys rank the seasons so far?
Mine would be like this: 2>1>5>4>3

JOKERACN7

I've been very forgiving to this show regarding its disregard for reality for the last few seasons, but the last half of this season went way too far into ridiculousness especially with
Frank pushing Catherine down the stairs literally just before she was to testify. And then it's basically never mentioned again and no one gives a shit at all.
I just don't understand how that made it on to the show. They didn't even bother to try to make it even remotely make sense.

I agree with the spoiler part, and also
how the hell did Leann with THAT car and supposedly good driving skills got off the road by a goddamn SUV?! Doesn't make sense at all , and I didn't buy Frank rooting for Private sector, they didn't sell it well enough

JOKERACN7

Yikes, general impressions for this season don't sound positive. Any thoughts from people who have finished it?

Impressions have been pretty mixed so far, I pretty much enjoyed it despite the glaring flaws it had, especially in the later episodes, however, I think they can wrap things up well enough in the next season. But man was it so damn entertaining! I was so goddamn hooked, almost binge-watched it :D
I highly suggest that you watch it yourself.

this
how the hell did Leann with THAT car and supposedly good driving skills got off the road by a goddamn SUV?! Doesn't make sense at all , and I didn't buy Frank rooting for Private sector, they didn't sell it well enough
and this
soured me on the lazy approach the writers took for those two spoilered quoted parts.

shock value was gone and it was just cartoony and cheap

in terms of characters/entertaining moments this is probably the best season since the first one. minus tom yates of course, I didn't even mind him that much in previous seasons but episode 4 or so i decided to skip every scene he was in. can't think of when I've ever done that before with a show.

and they've always gotta throw in stupid shit like late series spoiler
durant falling down 4 steps and seemigly being out the count. how woeful was that.

on the plus side the soundtrack was pretty cool this year, don't remember it sticking out as much in previous seasons

and usher was pretty cool as a character. reminds me of roger stone for some reason but not bat shit deranged.

JOKERACN7

in terms of characters/entertaining moments this is probably the best season since the first one. minus tom yates of course, I didn't even mind him that much in previous seasons but episode 4 or so i decided to skip every scene he was in. can't think of when I've ever done that before with a show.

and they've always gotta throw in stupid shit like late series spoiler
durant falling down 4 steps and seemigly being out the count. how woeful was that.

on the plus side the soundtrack was pretty cool this year, don't remember it sticking out as much in previous seasons

and usher was pretty cool as a character. reminds me of roger stone for some reason but not bat shit deranged.

Not sure if I agree with you on characters, I mean Remy, Jackie Sharp, Peter, and Freddy were way better than that old lady that came outta no where, or even Usher, I liked him tho, the thing is that
old lady and Usher were like magicians, sorting out problems without any friction
, they just weren't as fleshed out as the said characters in previous seasons. And man that
scene where the old lady, Ms Davis i guess, went to her bed and they made the scene so white as if she's gonna disappear or sth, wtf was that? *chuckles*

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm a few episodes in and I'm mixed on the season thus far.

I do wish Yates would go away already.

I am nearing episode 4 end. Someone just fucking tell me if season is all
Frank Underwood mastrubation and him not getting his due at all. I can't stand another season and more of his vile bullshit.
It's too much reminiscent of that orange fuck face and I don't wanna get sucked back into bad memories of 2016.

You could even argue that it was out of character. Why
would she trust Frank and go all the way back into the White House, up into the bedroom area, and meet with him?
Unless the actress just didn't wanna do the show no more and they needed a (ridiculous) way to write her out, it was just stupid. It honestly would've been better as a dream/wish sequence of Frank's, that's honestly what I thought it was before the episode progressed.

Bliany

And man that
scene where the old lady, Ms Davis i guess, went to her bed and they made the scene so white as if she's gonna disappear or sth, wtf was that? *chuckles*

Did you realize she was in a radiation therapy room? She was sitting down to meditate.

Monocle

I can't stand Frank/Claire winning all the time, fuck them. It burns my soul.
I am nearing episode 4 end. Someone just fucking tell me if season is all
Frank Underwood mastrubation and him not getting his due at all. I can't stand another season and more of his vile bullshit.
It's too much reminiscent of that orange fuck face and I don't wanna get sucked back into bad memories of 2016.
You're kind of watching the wrong show, honestly. House of Cards is most rewarding when you're rooting for the Underwoods. This would be a pretty frustrating show to follow if you're waiting for them to fail.

It's like watching Hannibal because you want to see him pay for his crimes. This kind of story isn't interested in portraying a moral universe—at least not until the endgame. If you don't find the main characters intrinsically interesting and entertaining, satisfaction is probably going to elude you until the series finale. And that's not even a sure thing, because maybe the writers won't be inclined to punish the villain protagonists for staying true to their natures.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
You're kind of watching the wrong show, honestly. House of Cards is most rewarding when you're rooting for the Underwoods.

At this point only a true sociopath would be rooting for the Underwoods. If you are rooting for Underwood, might as well root for ICO.

As for the show and this season: It has become clear to me, that this show is the Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright show. Everything is set up in a way that they can act another season and get another dozens of millions of dollar. They went from actor to executive producer to director over the course of five seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if they are writers as well. Even if I was rooting for Underwood, why even bother? It is obvious that everybody that can be a danger to them will be taken care of. Every hint of danger is evaporated within a few episodes, starting with Zoe, ending with Tom. Should I be interested in that Hammerschmidt guy when he will probably be killed next? Every hero needs a villain. Now, House of Cards has a great villain. One of the best. But without formidable heros he is nothing. In a show where every seemingly decent person turns out to be a shitstain, what is the point of watching? I am done with House of Cards.

What a crap season. I really hope Claire gets the actual spotlight in the next season and brings the show back to where it should be. I honestly expected the final moment of this season to come much earlier and I feel like they dragged their feet getting there with useless plots.

only gaming stuff they showed I think was oculus rift

And the way they framed it in at least one of those shots was pretty hilarious. If I remember right his wife is looking down from the 2nd floor with an exasperated look on her face as he is doing the staple "awkwardly feeling the air" motion that all VR users know. ;)

realwords

It was pretty non-sensical at face value, I do agree, but you have to understand that
Later it IS mentioned that there were two special forces guys handling her death, as reported to Frank. One car was probably behind her flashing high beams and distracting her, and another came from the side while she was distracted and finished the job.

JOKERACN7

Did you realize she was in a radiation therapy room? She was sitting down to meditate.

I realized that it's meditation but where did they hint at it being a radiation therapy?
And I think they wanted to induce the feeling that "hey she's so powerful!" and stuff, which felt kinda cheap

JOKERACN7

It was pretty non-sensical at face value, I do agree, but you have to understand that
Later it IS mentioned that there were two special forces guys handling her death, as reported to Frank. One car was probably behind her flashing high beams and distracting her, and another came from the side while she was distracted and finished the job.

Oh I see, I didn't notice that, well now that makes sense, thx

Monocle

At this point only a true sociopath would be rooting for the Underwoods. If you are rooting for Underwood, might as well root for ICO.

As for the show and this season: It has become clear to me, that this show is the Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright show. Everything is set up in a way that they can act another season and get another dozens of millions of dollar. They went from actor to executive producer to director over the course of five seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if they are writers as well. Even if I was rooting for Underwood, why even bother? It is obvious that everybody that can be a danger to them will be taken care of. Every hint of danger is evaporated within a few episodes, starting with Zoe, ending with Tom. Should I be interested in that Hammerschmidt guy when he will probably be killed next? Every hero needs a villain. Now, House of Cards has a great villain. One of the best. But without formidable heros he is nothing. In a show where every seemingly decent person turns out to be a shitstain, what is the point of watching? I am done with House of Cards.
Or... a fan of compelling villains. ICO isn't a compelling villain, it's some nebulous stand-in for real life terrorist organizations. I like charismatic characters, not faceless hordes of violent jerks.

And the way they framed it in at least one of those shots was pretty hilarious. If I remember right his wife is looking down from the 2nd floor with an exasperated look on her face as he is doing the staple "awkwardly feeling the air" motion that all VR users know. ;)

she looked like she didn't even like that he was doing it. whatever happened to him there...doesn't matter anyways I don't think the Conways will be a factor in the next season

E92 M3

I am rooting for the Underwoods just like I was behind Tony Soprano and Vic Mackey.

spock

This season was a letdown. The last few episodes really jumped shark and that's with me giving them a pass for some earlier crap. Couldn't buy those last 2 eps, lol.

Saganator

I'm 6 episodes in and it only took a couple episodes for me to totally turn on Frank and Claire. I knew they were diabolical but for some reason I still rooted for them. Not anymore, I now actively want to see them taken down. Judging by this thread, it looks like I'm in for a shitshow for the rest of the season, which I kind of predicted since I can see it already starting to happen.

I'm 6 episodes in and it only took a couple episodes for me to totally turn on Frank and Claire. I knew they were diabolical but for some reason I still rooted for them. Not anymore, I now actively want to see them taken down. Judging by this thread, it looks like I'm in for a shitshow for the rest of the season, which I kind of predicted since I can see it already starting to happen.

to be fair, GAF is more critical than the average community. rotten tomatoes has season 5 at 76%, which isn't horrible.

TheMan

The really dumb thing about the spoilered part is that
she fell down like 3 or 4 stairs. Seems unlikely she'd be completely out of commission for a significant period.

DJwest

Meh. I liked the season guys. I'm much more tolerant to plot holes and deus ex machine than most people though. Season 6 will be bloody.

Bliany

I realized that it's meditation but where did they hint at it being a radiation therapy?
And I think they wanted to induce the feeling that "hey she's so powerful!" and stuff, which felt kinda cheap

It was easy to miss, but the sign on the door when the nurse comes in hints at it. Also that there is a nurse, and she is in a gown :p I think it's supposed to show that she does have vulnerabilities and maybe what it is that drives her.

Beardz

I think I'm on ep 9, I'm not sure... but fuck, this season is horrible, nothing happens at all, pointless new characters, no tension, no stakes... I don't think I'm going to finish it.

off-topic: F is for Family is fucking great, season 1 was great, season 2 is amazing.

f0rk

Did anyone else feel like they had a smaller budget this season? Felt like there were a lot less location shoots.

Beardz

Did anyone else feel like they had a smaller budget this season? Felt like there were a lot less location shoots.

That was exactly I was thinking yesterday, most of the scenes are indoors with some awful "exteriors" like when they are in the white house balcony.

I agree that the first two seasons were the show's peak, but they just couldn't leave there...they must've kept on.

You couldn't just end at season 2, the show needs a payoff in the same way Dexter and Breaking Bad did. Where Breaking Bad did it right and truly let everything collapse in catastrophic ways around the main character, this show has gone the Dexter route of pointlessly dragging everything out in ways that strain the audience's credulity and the logic of reality.

the second season was awful

Despite the nuanced and well-reasoned argument of this post, you can't deny that season 2 still served a purpose: putting Frank Underwood into the oval office. It's what they did from their that represents a structural problem with the show. It's felt like 3 seasons of a holding pattern: scandal of the week procedural bullshit with no real consequences or impact for the trajectory of the characters or the plot.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Davis turns out to be the foil to Frank. None of their opponents ever operate anywhere near their level and they dispatch almost all of them ridiculously quickly.

Why don't they have any long standing rivals who are wise to their bullshit that they have to periodically beat back?

Man, Trump has really defanged this season.

For one, its hard to believe that it takes so much conniving and thinking to win the presidency when you could do it by just tapping into the racism nerve.

Secondly, its cute that they think
those recordings of Conway and his Veep
would sink a presidential campaign when the current president bragged about sexual assault and STILL got elected.

Top Bottom