• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

KingKong

This show used to at least have compelling storylines, now it just veers from one big moment to another so quickly you forget they even happened

ghostjoke

Banned
Sigh. It was middling beforehand, but it takes a serious nosedive in the second half. I got a few minutes into the final episode and decided enough of that shit for today. Not sure if I'll go back and finish it because I feel I'm only going to hate it more. I no longer care to see them succeed or fail.

It should have been the final season and played out entirely differently.

Durant "falls" down the steps right outside the embattled presidents personal living quarters right after it comes out that she will testify against him....and thats not suspicious??

Also, Yates was a huge waste of space. His storyline mirrors real life perfectly. He shouldn't be here so we have to come up with some reason for him to be here.

Bonus question: Will Hammerschmidtt be the hero of the series?

Jake.

first half of s5 was okay, second half was either boring or just straight up lazily written. the series has officially jumped the shark. hopefully s6 is the last.

Tainted

I am up to Ep 11 and I have to say this season has been a slog to get through, which is how it has felt since season 3 tbh.

I honestly do not think I will bother after this season as they just seem to be regurgitating the same storylines over and over.

I do not normally abandon many shows this far in, but this show just isn't ticking the boxes for me anymore.

Davide

I happened to be watching Episode 11 today and
kind of surreal how it coincided with Comey's testimony today.

It really is jumping the shark. I'm not enjoying seeing the house of cards topple. I guess it was inevitable but I kind of want to forget it ever happened if I rewatch the first seasons.
And I liked the first half. I'm not interested in a House of Cards focused on Claire.

Still, amazing how timely the season is, maybe too much.

LevelNth

Banned
Finished S5 this morning, really hope
Francis kills Claire now

Just an okay season, really not a fan with where they've taken
Claire's
character the last two seasons and the finale just pushed me over the edge. Crossed a line, time to die.

Dysun

I'm at episode 10 now, and it has improved compared to 1-4. That was one of the worst stretches of episodes in the entire series.

brentech

Hated the ending. And the final line delivery was pretty damn terrible.
Middle of the season had me thinking best season in a while, but now I'm unsure if I want to continue into another season.
By the 3/4 of the season I was really hoping it would be the last.

Nice short video of Doug in a bathtub explaining exactly what happened during Season 5. Its worth a watch if you didnt exactly understand what was happening especially in the beginning with regards to the election:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/07/michael-kelly-explains-house-cards-season-5/

The fact that Netflix felt compelled to produce such a video says a lot about the current state of the writing on the show.

What could Frank be doing
in the Private Sector that has more power than he expected to have as President?

He's looking to become the next Raymond Tusk, basically. He wants to be the man behind the curtain instead of the puppet in front of it.

This season was a let down to be Frank.

I see what you did thar.

First 6 episodes sucked. Then I thought it started to get better.

Then it totally failed in the way they transitioned from Frank to Claire. All that shit from Frank about how it was all planned was barely believable even in the House of Cards realm.

Usher and Davis are not interesting or compelling characters at all.

Washington Herald storyline was aimless...whole thing with Seth and the new guy, also aimless.

Doug just seems like a weirdo now rather than formidable in any sense.

Gah this was poor.

Not

Banned
Sounds like this show is going the way of Dexter. Shame. It will always be legendary for being the first real streaming show.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah, won't be watching the next season. This was soooo boring.

The problem with HoC is that you can't have characters that are douchebag cold killers and yet trying to do west wing at the same time. If the show is about evil crazy stuff, then don't bore me with long and complicated political arc. In WW i actually cared for those men and their political ambition, but here characters are just tools for the underwoods to look evil.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not sure how I felt about that ending.

Maybe I'm dumb but what was the point of
Claire completely fucking over Francis by not pardoning him?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Not sure how I felt about that ending.

Maybe I'm dumb but what was the point of
Claire completely fucking over Francis by not pardoning him?

He tried to keep her out of office, now she is taking revenge. By not pardoning him she has leverage over him.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He tried to keep her out of office, now she is taking revenge. By not pardoning him she has leverage over him.
And it'll hurt her politically, something she doesn't want to do since people don't hate her as much as they do Francis, she could still have a good presidency with a second term. Also, fuck him for trying to control her, this removes him out of the picture.

GeeTeeCee

I've got 2 episodes left and the series feels like it's losing steam. It started well enough with the early episodes, but even though the season has a bunch of very important plot lines and developments happening, it's all just a bit flat and lifeless, like the writers set up a bunch of plot threads and then got bored halfway through.

Half the cast of established characters from previous seasons either have nothing to do but still have a bizarre amount of screentime (Tom), or are replaced by functionally identical new characters and just sort of flit in and out of the story as and when required.

Either the next two episodes pick up majorly, or I'll have to start hoping for a similar uptick in quality for the next season just like from seasons 3 to 4.

my feelings of this Season is that they could have skipped the entire Election Day crap by starting the Season with an inauguration and moved from there instead of dragging the Election crisis for half a season which lead to nowhere since Conway's character was suddenly pushed aside as soon as the the campaign was over.

the absence of Danton and Sharp is retarded, what's the point of developing them for 4 Seasons for having them not show up and not influence the Congressional Hearings?

and LOL at the Hammeshmidt arc.... lead to nothing at the end. Another Season still dragging the murderous events of Season 1 & 2 without consequence at all in Season 5, zero

at least Season 4 had a deranged Lucas Goodwin have an impact on Frank literally. Season 5 is season of nothing.

The Claire arc could have happened in a more entertaining way than this bullshit Frank said "it's my plan all along" yeah okay Lex Luther, yeah okay

Davide

at least Season 4 had a deranged Lucas Goodwin have an impact on Frank literally. Season 5 is season of nothing.
Season 5 is the end of Frank's presidency with all the damaging stories of his past sins and far earlier than many expected. I understand being disappointing but that's not nothing.

The election stuff was the only story I enjoyed this season.

Pryce

The lead up to the election only to end it off screen was a total let down.
the stair fall lol
claire's "it's my turn" lmao.
all of the deaths cause why not
doug absolutely sucks now
the gay personal trainer went nowhere and made no sense.

I hated this season so much. I thought it was going to end alright with the solid season four but nope.

CD'S BAR

I thought it was pretty good. Seems like everyone hates every season after the first. It's still entertaining imo and it was never that realistic to begin with. If anything the jump-the-shark moment was Doug's misadventures in season 3. Thought they did a pretty good job of sticking to dry politics for a lot of this season.

Just started episode 12 and that cold open... This is the dumbest shit.

What the fuck happened to this show?

It went too crazy.

A show about a dodgy politician trying to wrangle his way up the ladder is a lot more interesting and believable than an evil President who is plotting murders, etc.

And let's not quote that and say "LOLOL TRUMP THO" because no, not the same at all.

I didn't particularly care for this season. Maybe the shit going on in the real world has made this show somewhat ho hum for me. Not sure but it was a struggle to finish all 13 episodes.

DOWN

Banned
Are y'all hoping they get caught and crumble or hopping they kinda seal the deal on their power for good? I want them to succeed tbh

phanphare

Banned
Are y'all hoping they get caught and crumble or hopping they kinda seal the deal on their power for good? I want them to succeed tbh

the next season should build to this epic cliffhanger at the end of the second to last episode and then the final episode is just the finale of dexter

would be perfect

Davide

The worst thing a sequel season can do is ruin the great seasons that came before it.

That may be happening now with how much of a failure Frank's presidency turned out to be after the awesome way he got there.

So what happened to
Durant? Was she in a coma or something? What's Frank's plan if she recovers? They handled that really strangely.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So what happened to
Durant? Was she in a coma or something? What's Frank's plan if she recovers? They handled that really strangely.

I really liked this season, but that was a real head scratcher. Feels like they wrote themselves in a corner and just wanted a quick out, after that happened, it is never talked about again. Super weird.

Izuna

Banned
Just finished

I have to drop this show. I felt like I massively wasted my time. More stuff happened than in Season 3, but at the same time, less stuff mattered.

Scarecrow

Haven't read the thread to avoid spoilers. Only three episodes in and not really diggin it so far. Sounds like it's a lackluster season, again?

This season was just asinine.
The way Durant was conveniently written out. And same with Yates, were they serious with that scene lmao.

And as someone said, the 10th dimensional chess is so accurate. Frank always ahead of people. And apparently every Congress person has some weird sexual past that can be dug out to be blackmailed.

Didn't care for Davis or Usher characters either, so smug. Was definitely rooting for Conway to somehow win. But he had two relatively small fuck ups that cost him the election while Frank has several.

Not going to bother with the rest of the show unless it changes a lot of things.

cLOUDo

i hate all the election part(maybe because it was 3 years long and the finish was very rushed)
i like the 2nd part mostly because the new characters (Usher, Jane)

I mostly enjoyed this season. Until the end that is. I don't think we need to hide spoilers in this thread anymore, but just in case here goes spoilers for the last 2-3 episodes
The whole Kathy Durant thing was, as has been said numerous times in this thread, blisteringly stupid. I really did not understand why Leanne and Doug started fucking, I wasn't getting any sorts of those vibes from them the entire season. To top it all off, I actually thought Frank was making up the big "twist" of the season, in that he orchestrated everything including the leaks. I thought he was making that up on the spot as a way to settle Claire down, but no apparently that's legit what happened. I'm mostly just glad Tom Yates is dead. I liked his character when he first showed up (especially since I like the actor from Boardwalk Empire), but man....every time he appeared this season I could not WAIT for him to just fuck up and someone to kill him. Shame it took so long to happen. I did not buy the supposed deep love Claire and he shared.

I'm really hoping next season is the last. It feels like enough is set up for it to be. Though, I feel like I've thought that for the last few seasons now.

Dysun

I absolutely hated the last two episodes, and think I'm done with the show
Extremely jarring to have Frank up and sabotage his presidency after spending 8 episodes on a pointlessly predictable election result. Nothing here felt earned, but forced.
The conclusion of several story lines were unfulfilling (Yates, Harvey/McCallan) and a large amount of this season felt like treading water (Hammerschmidt/Election).
The introduction of the two power brokers out of thin air was another misfire.
Don't care to see what's next, even though Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey are fantastic in their roles.

Top Bottom